    I have a Canon 28-135 mm lens that I'm using on a 350D. It's an OK lens but
    I'm having some wobble near the glass and rather than have it fixed I would
    like to get a new lens. Any recommendations on similar telephoto lenses?
    rick dowling, Nov 2, 2007

  2. "rick dowling" <> wrote:
    >I have a Canon 28-135 mm lens that I'm using on a 350D. It's an OK lens
    >but I'm having some wobble near the glass and rather than have it fixed I
    >would like to get a new lens. Any recommendations on similar telephoto
    >lenses?

    The obvious answer is the 24-105/4.0 IS.

    The 24-105/4.0 is expensive and heavy and has a bit more light falloff at
    24mm on FF than I'd like, but I hear lots of people making very happy noises
    about it. (I'm praying for a 55-110/2.0 and in the meantime being very happy
    with the weight and sharpness and speed and price of the Tamron 28-75/2.8; a
    real gem but it does wobble a bit at the long end and it doesn't get close
    enough to the range you are used to.)

    Since it's an internal-focus lens, it won't have the wobble problem.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Nov 2, 2007

  3. Does whatever is wobbling, cause a image problem?

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit
    Joseph Meehan, Nov 2, 2007
  4. Hi Rick,
    I have had the 28-135 for 5 years and have had a 'loose' front since
    the beginning. Others have commented the same over the years.

    Good news is that it appears to have no effect on the performance for
    a ~ 5x zoom, ie, better than kit lens but not up to L standard.

    Hope this helps
    Allan

    Allan Sheppard, Nov 2, 2007
  5. "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    > Does whatever is wobbling, cause a image problem?

    RD> No, I'm just assuming that it's going to at some point.

    I suspect it will last as long an any other lens. I have had a lens or
    two that felt that way and never had one of them fail or cause a problem.
    They sure don't feel reasuring, but they don't seem to cause problems.

    I think I would save my money for something else.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit
    Joseph Meehan, Nov 3, 2007