Lens question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PaddleHard, Oct 31, 2009.

  1. PaddleHard

    PaddleHard Guest

    I have a question about lenses, Canon in particular. I have a Digital
    Rebel 300D and am looking to purchase a 50D in the next year. I'm
    looking at a EF 28-135mm IS USM lense. Will this work with both
    cameras? What's the rule of thumb for Canon lenses and their
    'compatibility' with older and new cameras?

    Thanks,
    Chris
     
    PaddleHard, Oct 31, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. PaddleHard

    Ron Recer Guest

    "PaddleHard" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a question about lenses, Canon in particular. I have a Digital
    > Rebel 300D and am looking to purchase a 50D in the next year. I'm
    > looking at a EF 28-135mm IS USM lense. Will this work with both
    > cameras? What's the rule of thumb for Canon lenses and their
    > 'compatibility' with older and new cameras?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chris


    The EF 28-135mm IS USM lens will work on both the 300D and the 50D. I
    bought that lens when I bought my 10D and really like it.

    EF lens will work on all Canon DSLR cameras as well as Canon SLR cameras
    made for autofocus lens. The EF-S lens will only work on the so called 1.6
    crop sensor Canon cameras made after the EF-S lens were introduced. For
    instance, an EF-S lens won't work on my Canon 10D, a 1.6 crop sensor,
    because it predates the introduction of the EF-S lens. The EF-S lens are
    made especially for the 1.6 crop sensors and the mount won't allow them to
    be affixed to a full frame sensor or film camera.

    Ron
     
    Ron Recer, Oct 31, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. PaddleHard <> wrote:
    >I have a question about lenses, Canon in particular. I have a Digital
    >Rebel 300D and am looking to purchase a 50D in the next year. I'm
    >looking at a EF 28-135mm IS USM lense. Will this work with both
    >cameras? What's the rule of thumb for Canon lenses and their
    >'compatibility' with older and new cameras?


    In general: a DX lens mounted on a FF camera will typically result in
    vignetting under at least some condition (apperture/focal lenght
    combination). The other way round, i.e. mounting a FF lens on a DX
    camera is no problem.

    Canon specific: Any EOS-lens can be mounted on any EOS-camera. However
    the EOS system (using the EF mount) is completely incompatible to the
    earlier FD mount system.

    jue
     
    Jürgen Exner, Oct 31, 2009
    #3
  4. PaddleHard

    PaddleHard Guest

    On Oct 31, 12:22 pm, Jürgen Exner <> wrote:
    > PaddleHard <> wrote:
    > >I have a question about lenses, Canon in particular. I have a Digital
    > >Rebel 300D and am looking to purchase a 50D in the next year. I'm
    > >looking at a EF 28-135mm IS USM lense. Will this work with both
    > >cameras? What's the rule of thumb for Canon lenses and their
    > >'compatibility' with older and new cameras?

    >
    > In general: a DX lens mounted on a FF camera will typically result in
    > vignetting under at least some condition (apperture/focal lenght
    > combination). The other way round, i.e. mounting a FF lens on a DX
    > camera is no problem.
    >
    > Canon specific: Any EOS-lens can be mounted on any EOS-camera. However
    > the EOS system (using the EF mount) is completely incompatible to the
    > earlier FD mount system.
    >
    > jue


    Jurgen/Ron: Thanks for the info...
     
    PaddleHard, Oct 31, 2009
    #4
  5. PaddleHard

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Jürgen Exner
    <> wrote:

    > PaddleHard <> wrote:
    > >I have a question about lenses, Canon in particular. I have a Digital
    > >Rebel 300D and am looking to purchase a 50D in the next year. I'm
    > >looking at a EF 28-135mm IS USM lense. Will this work with both
    > >cameras? What's the rule of thumb for Canon lenses and their
    > >'compatibility' with older and new cameras?

    >
    > In general: a DX lens mounted on a FF camera will typically result in
    > vignetting under at least some condition (apperture/focal lenght
    > combination). The other way round, i.e. mounting a FF lens on a DX
    > camera is no problem.
    >
    > Canon specific: Any EOS-lens can be mounted on any EOS-camera. However
    > the EOS system (using the EF mount) is completely incompatible to the
    > earlier FD mount system.


    keep in mind that any ef-s lens is incompatible with an ef mount, while
    any ef lens will work on any eos camera, crop sensor or not. nobody
    cares about fd lenses anymore, they've been paperweights for a couple
    of decades.
     
    nospam, Oct 31, 2009
    #5
  6. PaddleHard

    John Navas Guest

    On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 09:22:56 -0700, Jürgen Exner <>
    wrote in <>:

    >In general: a DX lens mounted on a FF camera will typically result in
    >vignetting under at least some condition (apperture/focal lenght
    >combination). The other way round, i.e. mounting a FF lens on a DX
    >camera is no problem.
    >
    >Canon specific: Any EOS-lens can be mounted on any EOS-camera. However
    >the EOS system (using the EF mount) is completely incompatible to the
    >earlier FD mount system.


    More's the pity, because Canon FD lenses still are some of the finest
    lenses ever made. That Canon orphaned them without even a single
    digital body was a big betrayal of customers and a good reason to avoid
    Canon products. If and when I buy a dSLR it will probably be a Nikon,
    in part because Nikon has respected its promises and its customers.

    --
    Best regards,
    John

    Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
    it makes you a dSLR owner.
    "The single most important component of a camera
    is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
     
    John Navas, Oct 31, 2009
    #6
  7. PaddleHard

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, John Navas
    <> wrote:

    > >Canon specific: Any EOS-lens can be mounted on any EOS-camera. However
    > >the EOS system (using the EF mount) is completely incompatible to the
    > >earlier FD mount system.

    >
    > More's the pity, because Canon FD lenses still are some of the finest
    > lenses ever made.


    were, not still are. modern lenses generally are much better than ones
    designed 20-30 years ago and lens coatings have also improved. also,
    nothing stops canon from keeping the same optical formula in a newer fd
    lens, if it's actually as good as you seem to think.

    > That Canon orphaned them without even a single
    > digital body was a big betrayal of customers and a good reason to avoid
    > Canon products. If and when I buy a dSLR it will probably be a Nikon,
    > in part because Nikon has respected its promises and its customers.


    fd lenses work on 4/3rds bodies, using an adapter you claim to have
    used despite it not having shipped at the time you made the claim.
     
    nospam, Oct 31, 2009
    #7
  8. nospam <> wrote:
    >In article <>, Jürgen Exner
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> PaddleHard <> wrote:
    >> >I have a question about lenses, Canon in particular. I have a Digital
    >> >Rebel 300D and am looking to purchase a 50D in the next year. I'm
    >> >looking at a EF 28-135mm IS USM lense. Will this work with both
    >> >cameras? What's the rule of thumb for Canon lenses and their
    >> >'compatibility' with older and new cameras?

    >>
    >> In general: a DX lens mounted on a FF camera will typically result in
    >> vignetting under at least some condition (apperture/focal lenght
    >> combination). The other way round, i.e. mounting a FF lens on a DX
    >> camera is no problem.
    >>
    >> Canon specific: Any EOS-lens can be mounted on any EOS-camera. However
    >> the EOS system (using the EF mount) is completely incompatible to the
    >> earlier FD mount system.

    >
    >keep in mind that any ef-s lens is incompatible with an ef mount, while
    >any ef lens will work on any eos camera, crop sensor or not.


    Fair enough, should have pointed that out explicitely.

    jue
     
    Jürgen Exner, Oct 31, 2009
    #8
  9. PaddleHard

    nospam Guest

    In article <hci9pg$20dv$>, No spam please
    <> wrote:

    > Actually, you may find there's more of a mess with Nikon lenses than with
    > Canon lenses.
    >
    > I have no problems using any Canon EF lens on any EF body.


    there are no problems using any nikon af lens on any nikon body either.
    the only issue is that entry level cameras won't autofocus old lenses,
    but people who buy those entry level bodies aren't likely to have old
    lenses so it's a non issue.

    nikon saw that most people buy 1-2 lenses with the camera and that's
    it, so they made a smaller and lighter camera and sales skyrocketed.
    the d40 was one of the best selling dslrs, so obviously, nikon's
    marketing nailed that one right.

    meanwhile, canon users can't *ever* use old manual focus lenses (and
    the adapters don't work well, if at all).

    > This isn't the case with Nilkon. Old Nikon lenses will physically mount on a
    > modern Nikon body but will they support metering and all the exposure modes
    > offered by that modern body?


    depends on the body. low end cameras, no, mid and high end cameras yes.

    > I read, when the EF mount came out, that the FD mount physically would not
    > have permitted Canon to offer all the facilities they wanted on their
    > autofocus lenses.


    that's true, however, nikon's mount wasn't as limited so they were able
    to maintain compatibility with old lenses, as did pentax. minolta, on
    the other hand, changed the mount for no reason and came up with a
    weird hotshoe.
     
    nospam, Oct 31, 2009
    #9
  10. PaddleHard

    nospam Guest

    In article <4aed2654$0$1598$>, Ray Fischer
    <> wrote:

    > >there are no problems using any nikon af lens on any nikon body either.
    > >the only issue is that entry level cameras won't autofocus old lenses,

    >
    > So there's no problems except for the problems.


    people who buy entry level cameras don't usually buy a lot of old
    lenses and people who have a lot of lenses don't usually buy entry
    level cameras, so it isn't actually much of a problem.
     
    nospam, Nov 1, 2009
    #10
  11. PaddleHard

    Ray Fischer Guest

    John Navas <> wrote:
    > Jürgen Exner <>
    >>In general: a DX lens mounted on a FF camera will typically result in
    >>vignetting under at least some condition (apperture/focal lenght
    >>combination). The other way round, i.e. mounting a FF lens on a DX
    >>camera is no problem.
    >>
    >>Canon specific: Any EOS-lens can be mounted on any EOS-camera. However
    >>the EOS system (using the EF mount) is completely incompatible to the
    >>earlier FD mount system.

    >
    >More's the pity, because Canon FD lenses still are some of the finest
    >lenses ever made. That Canon orphaned them without even a single
    >digital body was a big betrayal of customers and a good reason to avoid
    >Canon products.


    LOL! And tell us: What are you going to do when you upgrade to your
    next P&S? Keep the lens and put it on a new body?

    You really are an idiot.

    --
    Ray Fischer
     
    Ray Fischer, Nov 1, 2009
    #11
  12. PaddleHard

    Ray Fischer Guest

    nospam <> wrote:
    >In article <hci9pg$20dv$>, No spam please
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Actually, you may find there's more of a mess with Nikon lenses than with
    >> Canon lenses.
    >>
    >> I have no problems using any Canon EF lens on any EF body.

    >
    >there are no problems using any nikon af lens on any nikon body either.
    >the only issue is that entry level cameras won't autofocus old lenses,


    So there's no problems except for the problems.

    Sheesh.

    --
    Ray Fischer
     
    Ray Fischer, Nov 1, 2009
    #12
  13. PaddleHard

    Bob Larter Guest

    PaddleHard wrote:
    > I have a question about lenses, Canon in particular. I have a Digital
    > Rebel 300D and am looking to purchase a 50D in the next year. I'm
    > looking at a EF 28-135mm IS USM lense. Will this work with both
    > cameras?


    Yep.

    > What's the rule of thumb for Canon lenses and their
    > 'compatibility' with older and new cameras?


    Any EF (not EFS) lens should work fine on any Canon DSLR.

    --
    W
    . | ,. w , "Some people are alive only because
    \|/ \|/ it is illegal to kill them." Perna condita delenda est
    ---^----^---------------------------------------------------------------
     
    Bob Larter, Nov 1, 2009
    #13
  14. PaddleHard

    nospam Guest

    In article <hckgd8$147b$>, No spam please
    <> wrote:

    > People who buy entry-level cameras often rely on the shop's recommendation.
    > In small towns there may be only one shop and not a lot of choice. People
    > who buy entry-level cameras are often new to SLR photography and don't
    > always understand specifications.


    that may be true, but entry level buyers don't tend to buy a lot of
    lenses. actually, most slr owners don't.

    > I haven't used Nikon bodies since the days of film. It wasn't until my
    > friend bought an entry-level Nikon DSLR that the problem became apparent. If
    > you look around this newsgroup I believe you will see that some Nikon users
    > see the old lens / entry-level DSLR as a problem whereas others do not.


    some might find it to be a problem but most don't. that's why it sold
    as well as it did.
     
    nospam, Nov 1, 2009
    #14
  15. PaddleHard

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Floyd L. Davidson
    <> wrote:

    > You are still missing the point. The problem is not
    > with Nikon's camera/lens design. They *do* provide
    > camera bodies that function perfectly with older lenses.


    exactly. if someone wants to use old lenses they should pick a camera
    with that capability. many users have no interest in old lenses (or for
    that matter, new ones other than the kit lens), so why pay for a
    feature that won't ever be used?

    nikon removed the motor that was never used which made the camera
    smaller, lighter and less expensive and it sold like crazy.

    > (A distinct difference from other manufacturer's who had
    > a less technically advanced lens mount in the 1970's and
    > had no choice but to abandon *all* compatibility.)


    indeed. the fd mount sucked, to be blunt.

    minolta, on the other hand, didn't have a good reason to change mounts
    but they did anyway and they didn't stop with the lens, they came up
    with a wacky hotshoe too.
     
    nospam, Nov 1, 2009
    #15
  16. PaddleHard

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, John Navas
    <> wrote:

    > >Personally, I stayed with the FD bodies and lenses until there was something
    > >better on offer.

    >
    > There's still nothing better on offer.
    > The issue is the lack of even one digital body.


    wrong. there are currently several digital bodies that take fd lenses
    with an appropriate adapter.
     
    nospam, Nov 1, 2009
    #16
  17. PaddleHard

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Neil
    Harrington <> wrote:

    > I know a good number of people who bought SLRs for the first time and not a
    > single one of them ever bought "second-hand old lenses" (meaning lenses so
    > old as to be incompatible) for them. At least half of them in fact never
    > bought any lens other than the one that came with the camera. Those who did
    > buy a second lens in every case bought one suitable for the camera.


    exactly. last time i checked, there were over 80 lenses that would work
    from several manufacturers. by now it's probably 100 or more. it's a
    non-issue.
     
    nospam, Nov 1, 2009
    #17
  18. PaddleHard

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Neil
    Harrington <> wrote:

    > > Before you ask - not all airlines permit digital cameras to be used during
    > > flight and many prohibit them during the take-off and landing phases of
    > > the flight. I fly with an airline that has a total ban on digital
    > > equipment. It's a good airline (usually on time, plenty of leg room and so
    > > on) so I'm happy to use a film body.

    >
    > I never heard of such a ban. When I fly I always take a DSLR to take
    > pictures in the airport (I love airports) and a digital compact to take
    > pictures out the airliner window, and sometimes of the cockpit when the door
    > is open. No one has ever objected yet.


    all airlines prohibit electronic devices during takeoff/landing, but
    some go further than that. some airlines ban cd/dvd players (can't have
    a laser!) or they require removable batteries to be removed and put in
    checked luggage. so while it may be rare, i wouldn't rule it out.
     
    nospam, Nov 1, 2009
    #18
  19. PaddleHard

    nospam Guest

    In article <hcksno$1pcf$>, No spam please
    <> wrote:

    > >>I haven't used Nikon bodies since the days of film. It wasn't until my
    > >>friend bought an entry-level Nikon DSLR that the problem became apparent.
    > >>If
    > >>you look around this newsgroup I believe you will see that some Nikon
    > >>users
    > >>see the old lens / entry-level DSLR as a problem whereas others do not.

    > >
    > > You are still missing the point. The problem is not
    > > with Nikon's camera/lens design. They *do* provide
    > > camera bodies that function perfectly with older lenses.
    > > (A distinct difference from other manufacturer's who had
    > > a less technically advanced lens mount in the 1970's and
    > > had no choice but to abandon *all* compatibility.)

    >
    > The shop which sold my friend the D50 didn't ask if she would be buying any
    > other lenses. She simply wanted a DSLR to use for her work as the cost of
    > film and processing was getting quite high.
    >
    > The kit lens with the D50 was fine for her work. The telephoto lens for bird
    > photography was an afterthought and, as it wasn't revenue earning, had to be
    > as cheap as possible.


    *all* autofocus lenses from any lens manufacturer will focus and meter
    with the d50, which means that *every* lens that store carried would
    work. there is *no* issue whatsoever, and it is *exactly* the same
    situation as with canon.

    as for cheap telephoto lenses, the 55-200vr is a good choice, or the
    non-vr version for slightly cheaper but the vr lens is a much better
    lens and the difference in price isn't all that much. the 70-300mm vr
    is another option for a little longer reach, but it's more money. none
    are really ideal for bird photography, however.
     
    nospam, Nov 1, 2009
    #19
  20. PaddleHard

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Floyd L. Davidson <> wrote:
    >"No spam please" <> wrote:
    >>"nospam" <> wrote:
    >>>Ray Fischer <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> >there are no problems using any nikon af lens on any nikon body either.
    >>>> >the only issue is that entry level cameras won't autofocus old lenses,
    >>>>
    >>>> So there's no problems except for the problems.

    >
    >The point is that the lens *will* work.


    The more relevant point is that nobody cares except for a few
    cronic malcontents.

    --
    Ray Fischer
     
    Ray Fischer, Nov 1, 2009
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Beowulf
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    3,008
    Lionel
    Aug 24, 2003
  2. Mike Kozlowski
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    824
  3. Amyotte
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    741
    amyotte
    Feb 11, 2004
  4. SteveJ

    Canon 10D lens Nikon Lens

    SteveJ, Jun 9, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    29
    Views:
    880
    Steve m...
    Jun 14, 2004
  5. Replies:
    13
    Views:
    4,556
    Doug Jewell
    May 31, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page