    take and how to make a normal lens take macro pictures with addition of
    some part, etc. I pretty much don't know anything and I'm interested in
    10D Canon and lens that work with it.

    Michalkun, Jul 18, 2003

  2. Michalkun

    David Grandy Guest

    Probably the best suggestion would be to go into a camera shop and ask for
    some Canon lens literature. In that kind of stuff they will have pictures
    of each lens, the type of photographs that they are useful for, and
    specifications for all of the lenses. Of course this is Canon (or Nikon or
    whatever) propaganda, so take how wonderful they are with a grain of salt,
    but they will be informative.

    Then hit the library and try to read a bunch of photography magazines paying
    attention to the type and focal lengths of the lenses pro's and semi pro's
    use. The camera, lens chosen, film (if any) and exposure information are
    usually part of the caption in these kinds of magazines and it's useful to
    see what choices that the pro made. You probably won't want to spend $1500 +
    for a 70-200 f2.8 lens to start off, but a slower version will take the same
    picture at f8!

    As for your first lens I'd suggest the Canon 24-85 f3.5/4.5 (as I chose for
    mine). It's relatively inexpensive, sharp, smallish, and would provide
    coverage (with the 10D) from moderate wide angle to moderate telephoto.

    David Grandy, Jul 18, 2003

  3. "David Grandy" <> writes:

    > Probably the best suggestion would be to go into a camera shop and ask for
    > some Canon lens literature. In that kind of stuff they will have pictures
    > of each lens, the type of photographs that they are useful for, and
    > specifications for all of the lenses. Of course this is Canon (or Nikon or
    > whatever) propaganda, so take how wonderful they are with a grain of salt,
    > but they will be informative.

    Do shops in Halifax (I assume that hfx is Halifax) carry Canon lens
    literature? I don't think that any here in Toronto does, or at least none
    that you can take home. They will probably tell you to visit the web sites
    of said manufacturers.

    Bye, Dragan

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

    Dragan Cvetkovic, Jul 18, 2003
  4. Dragan Cvetkovic wrote:
    > Do shops in Halifax (I assume that hfx is Halifax) carry Canon lens
    > literature? I don't think that any here in Toronto does, or at least none
    > that you can take home. They will probably tell you to visit the web sites
    > of said manufacturers.

    Every camera shop I have been in has all sorts of pamphlets and
    brochures and even whole books for the stuff they carry. I have picked
    up books on Tamrac and Lowepro cases and Nikon lenses.

    The manufacturers probably supply these to the shops to push their items.

    Andrew McDonald, Jul 18, 2003
  5. Michalkun <> wrote in

    > Could someone give me some links about basic lens and how they work? I
    > cannot seem to find any website with basic information. I just want to
    > know about zoom lenses and what their ranges are and what adapters they
    > can take and how to make a normal lens take macro pictures with addition
    > of some part, etc. I pretty much don't know anything and I'm interested
    > in 10D Canon and lens that work with it.

    The Canon 10D uses the ordinary Canon SLR lenses. The number of lenses
    you can use is HUGE - VERY HUGE. You can get a flash tour here:

    http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/EOS10D/

    I think you can browse through the entire system there. I don't know
    if that is going to help :)

    One thing to remember is that the 10D has a smaller sensor than
    an ordinary 35 mm camera film. Therefore, the 35 mm SLR lenses
    will not have as large FOV (field of view) as for 35 mm cameras.

    Then of course there are third party Lens makers for Canon
    cameras. This complicates even more.

    It is also rather expensive.

    If you have a photo shop you where you think you can trust the
    people to give you good answers - this is the best route.

    One other advice might to post in a Canon DSLR forum, e.g that
    on www.dpreview.com. They might be eager to help a newbie D10
    owner to get the correct equipment.

    Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Jul 18, 2003