    towards a good web site which explains so that I can learn for myself.

    Thanks,

    Andy
    Andrew Portess, Aug 2, 2004

  2. "Andrew Portess" <> wrote in

    Check out the lens reviews at http://www.photodo.com

    --
    "Live fast. Die young." (Nikki Sixx)

    -Richard Cockburn
    Richard Cockburn, Aug 2, 2004

  3. Andrew Portess wrote:

    > I have a Canon A80 and am now considering a Digital Rebel DSLR. One thing I
    > am unsure of though is how to determine which telephoto lens I would need
    > for the DRebel. If I am shooting small birds at a distance of 20 feet what
    > would I need to ensure the image filled the frame. Can somebody point me
    > towards a good web site which explains so that I can learn for myself.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Andy

    I like the Sigma 55-200 which starts off where the kit lens ends
    (18-55). I just got my EOS Rebel 2 weeks ago and picked up this lens and
    love it. It's the Sigma DC 55-200 Digital Series.

    Butch
    Butch Lacadie, Aug 2, 2004
  4. Andrew Portess

    Skip M Guest

    "Andrew Portess" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Canon A80 and am now considering a Digital Rebel DSLR. One thing

    > am unsure of though is how to determine which telephoto lens I would need
    > for the DRebel. If I am shooting small birds at a distance of 20 feet

    what
    > would I need to ensure the image filled the frame. Can somebody point me
    > towards a good web site which explains so that I can learn for myself.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Andy

    How much do you want to spend?

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Aug 2, 2004
  5. Andrew Portess

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Andrew Portess wrote:

    > I have a Canon A80 and am now considering a Digital Rebel DSLR. One thing I
    > am unsure of though is how to determine which telephoto lens I would need
    > for the DRebel. If I am shooting small birds at a distance of 20 feet what
    > would I need to ensure the image filled the frame. Can somebody point me
    > towards a good web site which explains so that I can learn for myself.

    AT 20 feet, a lens that goes up to 200mm would probably do
    you OK..

    But.. You'll soon find that isn't enough because you'll find
    you're missing the ones at 80ft and further :)
    Jim Townsend, Aug 2, 2004
  6. Andrew Portess

    Jeff Guest

    A 300mm lens would probably do the job. Keep in mind that on a Digital
    Rebel, this is actually a 480mm lens due to the 1.6x factor. For an
    inexpensive lens, check out the Canon 75-300mm EF USM without IS. B&H Photo
    (www.bhphotovideo.com) has this for about $160. If you want IS (image
    stabilization), then I recall that it is closer to $400. IS is great if you
    want to hand hold the camera rather than use a tripod. I have this lens and
    do like it. I do not have IS. What I have found that is in daylight, I up
    the ISO to 200 or 400 so that I can use a faster shutter speed. This helps
    to resolve camera shake. A tripod is always better, but sometimes I want
    the shot and I do not have the tripod with me.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Aug 2, 2004
  7. Andrew Portess wrote:

    > I have a Canon A80 and am now considering a Digital Rebel DSLR. One
    > thing I am unsure of though is how to determine which telephoto lens
    > I would need for the DRebel. If I am shooting small birds at a
    > distance of 20 feet what would I need to ensure the image filled the
    > frame. Can somebody point me towards a good web site which explains
    > so that I can learn for myself.

    Take the distance you are away from your subject (20 feet), and
    divide it by the size of the frame you want to have (measured in
    the same units as your distance from the subject, in this case feet).

    Multiply this result by the size of the imaging sensor in millimeters
    to get a reasonable approximation for the focal length of the lens
    you will want.

    You mentioned small birds, so let's use a subject size of one foot,
    which should give you some margin around the edges of your frame so
    you're not completely filling the frame with the bird. You are 20 feet
    away. The Digital Rebel's sensor measures about 22.7 millimeters
    across.

    20 feet / 1 foot = 20.
    20 * 22.7 millimeters = 454 millimeters

    You will want a focal length around 400 mm if your birds are a foot
    or smaller in size and you will be 20 feet away. Each pixel in your
    output image will cover about 0.004 inches across at this distance
    and focal length.

    BJJB
    BillyJoeJimBob, Aug 3, 2004
  8. Andrew Portess

    Petr V. Guest

    Remember though that the Rebel does not a have a full size CMOS sensor so a
    28-300mm lens will actually be like a 42-450mm. 1.5X multiplier.

    Petr V., Aug 3, 2004
  9. Petr V. wrote:

    > Remember though that the Rebel does not a have a full size CMOS
    > sensor so a 28-300mm lens will actually be like a 42-450mm. 1.5X
    > multiplier.

    The sensor size is already taken into account in the computation.
    You don't have to worry about multipliers/crop factors at all using
    the method I described.

    BJJB
    BillyJoeJimBob, Aug 3, 2004