    take and what should I look for in the shots?

    Thanks for any advice,
    Steve
    swandy, Dec 30, 2009

  2. "swandy" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    >I have someone shipping me two versions of the Olympus Zuiko 50mm f1.4
    > lens to purchase one of. (For use on an EP2 - currently have an Oly
    > 50mm f1.8 but not happy with the focusing of it.)
    > One lens has - according to the seller - "very minor hazing on the
    > outer edges of an inner element". Since - based on what he as said
    > about the other aspects of the two lenses - this is the one I would
    > normally prefer, what do I look for in testing the lens? Especially as
    > far as image quality being effected - what types of shots should I
    > take and what should I look for in the shots?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice,
    > Steve

    Compare them for sharpness at the widest four stops to the
    corners, as you would with any two similar lenses you are
    comparing, and choose the sharper if there is a difference.
    Next, compare them at the widest three stops with strong
    subject backlight for differences in contrast and brilliance in
    the images. Also examine the lens to see if the haze is barely
    visible with strong light (like sunlight) shining through the lens,
    viewed off axis (and rotate the lens), or much worse. See if
    the haze appears to be caused by element separation (not
    good) or by oil on the glass surface (very not good). In
    general, choose optical quality and performance over
    physical characteristics, especially if the price is right...
    --DR
    David Ruether, Dec 30, 2009

  3. In article <>,
    swandy <> wrote:

    > I have someone shipping me two versions of the Olympus Zuiko 50mm f1.4
    > lens to purchase one of. (For use on an EP2 - currently have an Oly
    > 50mm f1.8 but not happy with the focusing of it.)
    > One lens has - according to the seller - "very minor hazing on the
    > outer edges of an inner element". Since - based on what he as said
    > about the other aspects of the two lenses - this is the one I would
    > normally prefer, what do I look for in testing the lens? Especially as
    > far as image quality being effected - what types of shots should I
    > take and what should I look for in the shots?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice,
    > Steve

    Hazy lenses will look like a very large diameter blur with a low
    opacity. An unsharp mask filter can sometimes restore contrast but at
    the cost of higher noise. It will not correct blurs or halos
    surrounding clipped pixels.

    I've never been able to fix a hazy lens. Inner lens elements have
    anti-glare coatings so soft that merely the surface tension in a drop of
    distilled water will distort them up.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Dec 31, 2009
  4. "David Ruether" <> wrote in message
    > "swandy" <> wrote in message

    >>I have someone shipping me two versions of the Olympus Zuiko 50mm f1.4
    >> lens to purchase one of. (For use on an EP2 - currently have an Oly
    >> 50mm f1.8 but not happy with the focusing of it.)
    >> One lens has - according to the seller - "very minor hazing on the
    >> outer edges of an inner element". Since - based on what he as said
    >> about the other aspects of the two lenses - this is the one I would
    >> normally prefer, what do I look for in testing the lens? Especially as
    >> far as image quality being effected - what types of shots should I
    >> take and what should I look for in the shots?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any advice,
    >> Steve

    > Compare them for sharpness at the widest four stops to the
    > corners, as you would with any two similar lenses you are
    > comparing, and choose the sharper if there is a difference.
    > Next, compare them at the widest three stops with strong
    > subject backlight for differences in contrast and brilliance in
    > the images. Also examine the lens to see if the haze is barely
    > visible with strong light (like sunlight) shining through the lens,
    > viewed off axis (and rotate the lens), or much worse. See if
    > the haze appears to be caused by element separation (not
    > good) or by oil on the glass surface (very not good). In
    > general, choose optical quality and performance over
    > physical characteristics, especially if the price is right...
    > --DR

    I should have added that a VERY light haze, even if over a
    whole lens surface (but one only...) rarely affects the image, and
    when checking the lens with sunlight, do it with the lens off the
    camera and the diaphragm wide open. Unlike what the other
    poster wrote, I have sometimes found it quite practical to
    clean an internal glass surface - but I don't recommend it unless
    there is no other option or the lens has little value (reassembling
    a lens can be "interesting"...). If the haze is caused by oil, curing
    the source is necessary before cleaning the lens or the problem
    will quickly return...
    --DR
    David Ruether, Dec 31, 2009