    I am wanting to buy a DSLR camera and it seems that Nikon and Canon have the market. I have a very old Pentax macro lens and am wondering if this would be compatable with a new DSLR Nikon or Canon.
    Question 1: Are lenses compatable across different brands?
    Question 2: Assuming the Pentax lens will fit onto a Nikon or Canon does it mean that I will have a problem with operation since the lens is old (analog) and the camera is digital?
    Macarper, May 22, 2009

  2. Macarper

    torontolife

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2009
    Messages:
    32
    Lenses are not at all compatible across brands, as each manufacturer has their own mount. Some manufacturrers will make compatible products, for example a Tamron lens will fit an older Nikon mount.

    Sometimes you can also get an 'adapter'.

    However with manual lenses you will not get a lot of the DSLR features like autofocus etc. Might be better to ditch the lens on ebay!
    torontolife, Jun 4, 2009