    AA batteries, not a proprietary battery.

    Thanks in advance.

    John S.

    John Simpson, Sep 27, 2008

  2. John Simpson

    Pete D Guest

    "John Simpson" <> wrote in message
    news:MhwDk.12305$...
    > Greetings to all,
    >
    > I'm thinking about purchasing a Pentax D200 in the near future. I
    > currently have an old Olympus OM-2, and I was wondering if the OM-2 lenses
    > will attach to, and work properly with the D200. I suspect not, but I have
    > to ask.
    >
    > Also, any pro/con comments on the D200 would be greatly appreciated. One
    > reason for choosing this camera is because it will use a variety of
    > standard AA batteries, not a proprietary battery.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > John S.

    No they will not work however any lens ever made for Pentax will work very
    nicely.

    The Pentax K200D is a very good camera with a range of features that are
    generally better than comparable Nikon and Canon cameras.

    If you want a slightly more basic Pentax then the new Km is also very nice
    but more compact and with several minor features not included.

    Cheers.

    Pete

    Pete D, Sep 27, 2008

  3. John Simpson

    John Simpson Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message

    > "John Simpson" <> wrote in message
    >> Greetings to all,
    >>
    >> I'm thinking about purchasing a Pentax D200 in the near future. I
    >> currently have an old Olympus OM-2, and I was wondering if the OM-2
    >> lenses will attach to, and work properly with the D200. I suspect not,
    >> but I have to ask.
    >>
    >> Also, any pro/con comments on the D200 would be greatly appreciated. One
    >> reason for choosing this camera is because it will use a variety of
    >> standard AA batteries, not a proprietary battery.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> John S.
    >>

    > No they will not work however any lens ever made for Pentax will work very
    > nicely.
    >
    > The Pentax K200D is a very good camera with a range of features that are
    > generally better than comparable Nikon and Canon cameras.
    >
    > If you want a slightly more basic Pentax then the new Km is also very nice
    > but more compact and with several minor features not included.
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Pete

    Thanks Pete, I appreciate the quick response. I'll look at the Km.

    John

    John Simpson, Sep 27, 2008
  4. John Simpson

    J. Clarke Guest

    John Simpson wrote:
    > Greetings to all,
    >
    > I'm thinking about purchasing a Pentax D200 in the near future. I
    > currently have an old Olympus OM-2, and I was wondering if the OM-2
    > lenses will attach to, and work properly with the D200. I suspect
    > not, but I have to ask.

    In theory it might be possible, in practice nobody seems to make the
    necessary adapter so in practical terms the answer is "no". If you
    have an investment in OM lenses that are in good condition you'd do
    better to go with a Canon EOS (you can get adapters to put just about
    any kind of lens on an EOS) or an Olympus/Panasonic/Leica 4/3-system
    camera for which Olympus makes OM adapters.

    > Also, any pro/con comments on the D200 would be greatly appreciated.
    > One reason for choosing this camera is because it will use a variety
    > of standard AA batteries, not a proprietary battery.

    I wouldn't make the battery a major consideration. Turn off the LCD
    and most DSLRs shoot practically forever on a charge. If it's really
    an issue for you Canon has battery grip adapters for most of their
    DSLRs that allow you to run them on AAs.

    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    J. Clarke, Sep 27, 2008
  5. "John Simpson" <> wrote:
    >Also, any pro/con comments on the D200 would be greatly appreciated. One
    >reason for choosing this camera is because it will use a variety of standard
    >AA batteries, not a proprietary battery.

    Many people would argue that custom LiIon are preferable because they
    have a higher energy density, are significantly easier to handle (one
    battery instead of many which cannot be inserted the wrong way and
    doesn't roll away), and with 500+ photos on a single charge being very
    common emtpy batteries are hardly an issue.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Sep 27, 2008
  6. John Simpson

    Pete D Guest

    "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message
    > "John Simpson" <> wrote:
    >>Also, any pro/con comments on the D200 would be greatly appreciated. One
    >>reason for choosing this camera is because it will use a variety of
    >>standard
    >>AA batteries, not a proprietary battery.

    > Many people would argue that custom LiIon are preferable because they
    > have a higher energy density, are significantly easier to handle (one
    > battery instead of many which cannot be inserted the wrong way and
    > doesn't roll away), and with 500+ photos on a single charge being very
    > common emtpy batteries are hardly an issue.
    >
    > jue

    Agree, but buy the K200D because it is a great camera.

    Cheers.

    Pete

    Pete D, Sep 28, 2008
  7. John Simpson

    J. Clarke Guest

    Pete D wrote:
    > "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message
    >> "John Simpson" <> wrote:
    >>> Also, any pro/con comments on the D200 would be greatly
    >>> appreciated. One reason for choosing this camera is because it
    >>> will
    >>> use a variety of standard
    >>> AA batteries, not a proprietary battery.

    >> Many people would argue that custom LiIon are preferable because
    >> they
    >> have a higher energy density, are significantly easier to handle
    >> (one
    >> battery instead of many which cannot be inserted the wrong way and
    >> doesn't roll away), and with 500+ photos on a single charge being
    >> very common emtpy batteries are hardly an issue.
    >>
    >> jue

    > Agree, but buy the K200D because it is a great camera.

    But you can do more with a slightly less great camera and a good set
    of lenses than you can with a great camera and just the kit lens.

    J. Clarke, Sep 28, 2008
  8. John Simpson

    Me Guest

    Pete D wrote:

    > The Pentax K200D is a very good camera with a range of features that are
    > generally better than comparable Nikon and Canon cameras.

    A range of features better than comparable models?
    So for a better range of features you need to go to a model which isn't
    comparable?
    Do you mean comparably priced or something?

    Me, Sep 28, 2008
  9. John Simpson

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 18:23:46 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <> wrote:

    >John Simpson wrote:
    >> Greetings to all,
    >>
    >> I'm thinking about purchasing a Pentax D200 in the near future. I
    >> currently have an old Olympus OM-2, and I was wondering if the OM-2
    >> lenses will attach to, and work properly with the D200. I suspect
    >> not, but I have to ask.

    >In theory it might be possible, in practice nobody seems to make the
    >necessary adapter so in practical terms the answer is "no". If you
    >have an investment in OM lenses that are in good condition you'd do
    >better to go with a Canon EOS (you can get adapters to put just about
    >any kind of lens on an EOS) or an Olympus/Panasonic/Leica 4/3-system
    >camera for which Olympus makes OM adapters.
    >
    >> Also, any pro/con comments on the D200 would be greatly appreciated.
    >> One reason for choosing this camera is because it will use a variety
    >> of standard AA batteries, not a proprietary battery.

    >I wouldn't make the battery a major consideration. Turn off the LCD
    >and most DSLRs shoot practically forever on a charge. If it's really
    >an issue for you Canon has battery grip adapters for most of their
    >DSLRs that allow you to run them on AAs.

    So too do Nikon

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Sep 28, 2008
  10. John Simpson

    J. Clarke Guest

    Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 18:23:46 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> John Simpson wrote:
    >>> Greetings to all,
    >>>
    >>> I'm thinking about purchasing a Pentax D200 in the near future. I
    >>> currently have an old Olympus OM-2, and I was wondering if the
    >>> OM-2
    >>> lenses will attach to, and work properly with the D200. I suspect
    >>> not, but I have to ask.

    >> In theory it might be possible, in practice nobody seems to make
    >> the
    >> necessary adapter so in practical terms the answer is "no". If you
    >> have an investment in OM lenses that are in good condition you'd do
    >> better to go with a Canon EOS (you can get adapters to put just
    >> about
    >> any kind of lens on an EOS) or an Olympus/Panasonic/Leica
    >> 4/3-system
    >> camera for which Olympus makes OM adapters.
    >>
    >>> Also, any pro/con comments on the D200 would be greatly
    >>> appreciated.
    >>> One reason for choosing this camera is because it will use a
    >>> variety
    >>> of standard AA batteries, not a proprietary battery.

    >> I wouldn't make the battery a major consideration. Turn off the LCD
    >> and most DSLRs shoot practically forever on a charge. If it's
    >> really
    >> an issue for you Canon has battery grip adapters for most of their
    >> DSLRs that allow you to run them on AAs.
    >>

    > So too do Nikon

    So where does he get the adapter to put his OM lenses on a Nikon?

    J. Clarke, Sep 28, 2008
  11. John Simpson

    Pete D Guest

    "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    > Pete D wrote:
    >> "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Many people would argue that custom LiIon are preferable because
    >>> they
    >>> have a higher energy density, are significantly easier to handle
    >>> (one
    >>> battery instead of many which cannot be inserted the wrong way and
    >>> doesn't roll away), and with 500+ photos on a single charge being
    >>> very common emtpy batteries are hardly an issue.
    >>>
    >>> jue

    >> Agree, but buy the K200D because it is a great camera.

    > But you can do more with a slightly less great camera and a good set
    > of lenses than you can with a great camera and just the kit lens.

    So who has these good lenses?

    Pete D, Sep 28, 2008
  12. John Simpson

    J. Clarke Guest

    Pete D wrote:
    > "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    >> Pete D wrote:
    >>> "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message

    >>> Agree, but buy the K200D because it is a great camera.

    >> But you can do more with a slightly less great camera and a good
    >> set
    >> of lenses than you can with a great camera and just the kit lens.
    >>

    > So who has these good lenses?

    The original poster.

    J. Clarke, Sep 28, 2008
  13. We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    drugs began to take hold. I remember Jürgen Exner <>
    saying something like:

    >Many people would argue that custom LiIon are preferable because they
    >have a higher energy density, are significantly easier to handle (one
    >battery instead of many which cannot be inserted the wrong way and
    >doesn't roll away), and with 500+ photos on a single charge being very
    >common emtpy batteries are hardly an issue.

    AAs are pretty near universally available if you run out of batteries in
    the back of beyond [1]. Not so proprietory batteries.
    It's easy enough to carry a spare handful of AAs and they can be used in
    so many other things - and vice versa. They can be recharged by mains,
    vehicle, solar, via easily obtainable chargers. On balance, if two cams
    are offering the same features and one has AAs I'd take the latter, but
    that's just me.
    YM, AW, MV.

    [1] Who does? I hear you ask. It's happened to me and it's frustrating
    to have plenty of battery power available but not in a usable form.
    --

    Dave

    Grimly Curmudgeon, Sep 28, 2008
  14. John Simpson

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 07:12:37 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <> wrote:

    >Eric Stevens wrote:
    >> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 18:23:46 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> In theory it might be possible, in practice nobody seems to make
    >>> the
    >>> necessary adapter so in practical terms the answer is "no". If you
    >>> have an investment in OM lenses that are in good condition you'd do
    >>> better to go with a Canon EOS (you can get adapters to put just
    >>> about
    >>> any kind of lens on an EOS) or an Olympus/Panasonic/Leica
    >>> 4/3-system
    >>> camera for which Olympus makes OM adapters.

    >>> I wouldn't make the battery a major consideration. Turn off the LCD
    >>> and most DSLRs shoot practically forever on a charge. If it's
    >>> really
    >>> an issue for you Canon has battery grip adapters for most of their
    >>> DSLRs that allow you to run them on AAs.
    >>>

    >> So too do Nikon

    >So where does he get the adapter to put his OM lenses on a Nikon?

    Same place he gets the adapter to put his OM lenses on a Canon. :)

    I wasn't suggesting that that is what he does. I was merely responding
    to the comment about canon.

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Sep 28, 2008
  15. John Simpson

    J. Clarke Guest

    Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 07:12:37 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Eric Stevens wrote:

    >>> So too do Nikon

    >> So where does he get the adapter to put his OM lenses on a Nikon?

    > Same place he gets the adapter to put his OM lenses on a Canon.
    > :)

    Nope. http://www.cameraquest.com/frames/4saleReos.htm has adapters to
    put OM lenses on Canon, they do not to put OM lenses on Nikon. Ebay
    also has the OM-to-EOS adapters
    http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=om eos adapter&_sacat=See-All-Categories
    but nothing for OM to Nikon (although they do have adapters that allow
    Nikon lenses to be used on Olympus 4/3 system cameras). The flange
    distance on the Nikon mount is half a millimeter greater than the
    flange distance on the OM mount, so there is no way that an OM lens
    can focus to infinity on a Nikon unless the adapter has additional
    optics. Nobody to my knowledge has made such a beast for that
    particular application, and if they have it is not readily available,
    so no, you do _not_ get the adapter to put OM lenses on a Nikon the
    same place you get the adapter to put OM lenses on a Canon.

    > I wasn't suggesting that that is what he does.

    The OP did not ask for a suggestion on whether to do that, he stated
    clearly that this was something that he wanted to do.

    > I was merely responding
    > to the comment about canon.

    Why were you doing that?

    J. Clarke, Sep 28, 2008
  16. John Simpson

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 17:39:39 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <> wrote:

    >Eric Stevens wrote:
    >> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 07:12:37 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> So where does he get the adapter to put his OM lenses on a Nikon?

    >> Same place he gets the adapter to put his OM lenses on a Canon.
    >> :)

    >Nope. http://www.cameraquest.com/frames/4saleReos.htm has adapters to
    >put OM lenses on Canon, they do not to put OM lenses on Nikon. Ebay
    >also has the OM-to-EOS adapters
    >http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=om eos adapter&_sacat=See-All-Categories
    >but nothing for OM to Nikon (although they do have adapters that allow
    >Nikon lenses to be used on Olympus 4/3 system cameras). The flange
    >distance on the Nikon mount is half a millimeter greater than the
    >flange distance on the OM mount, so there is no way that an OM lens
    >can focus to infinity on a Nikon unless the adapter has additional
    >optics. Nobody to my knowledge has made such a beast for that
    >particular application, and if they have it is not readily available,
    >so no, you do _not_ get the adapter to put OM lenses on a Nikon the
    >same place you get the adapter to put OM lenses on a Canon.
    >
    >> I wasn't suggesting that that is what he does.

    >The OP did not ask for a suggestion on whether to do that, he stated
    >clearly that this was something that he wanted to do.
    >
    >> I was merely responding
    >> to the comment about canon.

    >Why were you doing that?

    For much the same reason you have responded to me.

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Sep 28, 2008
  17. John Simpson

    Pete D Guest

    "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    > Pete D wrote:
    >> "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message

    >>> But you can do more with a slightly less great camera and a good
    >>> set
    >>> of lenses than you can with a great camera and just the kit lens.
    >>>

    >> So who has these good lenses?

    > The original poster.

    He said was "I was wondering if the OM-2 lenses", if he had good ones I
    would have assumed a little more knowledge on his part and he would not have
    asked the question he did, I guess you assumed "good" even though he never
    said that.

    I would only ever recommend 35 year old lenses to someone that has more
    experience than the OP appears to have.

    Cheers.

    Pete

    Pete D, Sep 29, 2008
  18. We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    drugs began to take hold. I remember (Floyd L.
    Davidson) saying something like:

    >Using AA's, even rechargables, is ridiculous compared to
    >the typical Li-ion used for example by Nikon.

    <shrug>

    That's your opinion, nothing more.

    You read that bit about your mileage may vary?

    --

    Dave

    Grimly Curmudgeon, Sep 29, 2008
  19. John Simpson

    Pete D Guest

    "Grimly Curmudgeon" <> wrote in message
    > We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    > drugs began to take hold. I remember (Floyd L.
    > Davidson) saying something like:
    >
    >>Using AA's, even rechargables, is ridiculous compared to
    >>the typical Li-ion used for example by Nikon.

    > <shrug>
    >
    > That's your opinion, nothing more.
    >
    > You read that bit about your mileage may vary?

    I use both and they both work fine, for any trip I need to make sure I have
    enough battery power to do the shooting I want to do either by taking enough
    charged batteries or taking a charger that can be used wherever I am going
    to be.

    Pete D, Sep 29, 2008
  20. We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    drugs began to take hold. I remember "Pete D" <> saying
    something like:

    >I use both and they both work fine, for any trip I need to make sure I have
    >enough battery power to do the shooting I want to do either by taking enough
    >charged batteries or taking a charger that can be used wherever I am going
    >to be.

    Exactly. It's always possible to be stuck on a longer trip with a set of
    flat batteries, no matter how well you plan and the one big advantage of
    AAs is their universality.
    Fwiw, I also use both - I have an older Fuji that uses AAs and a Canon
    with a proprietory battery. I always carry spare AAs (and a variety of
    charging methods) as a matter of course and I have three Canon
    batteries. Problem is, I only have one Canon charger and there's no
    other way to charge up those Canon batteries, unlike the Fuji.
    I'm taken by the Pentax K20D as my next dSLR, but I'm slightly
    disappointed to see that carries on from the K10D by using a Pentax
    battery, whereas the KxxxD series have stuck with AAs - that might be
    enough to persuade me to go for a K200D instead, but it's a decision
    that's up in the air at the moment.
    --

    Dave

    Grimly Curmudgeon, Sep 30, 2008