    discussions about such things here for quite a while so was wondering if
    there's any prefered methods or solutions (pun intented)
    Got me wire wool and bleach ready ;-)

    whisky-dave, Jul 16, 2010

  2. "whisky-dave" <> wrote in message
    news:i1pl4b$oh9$1@qmul...

    > Basically the lens on my G10 seems to have attracted some beer/lager
    > drops and stains that seemed to have dried into a smear. I ahven;t
    > noticed any discussions about such things here for quite a while so was
    > wondering if there's any prefered methods or solutions (pun intented)
    > Got me wire wool and bleach ready ;-)

    I usually find a lens cloth (e.g. Jessops) and moist breath quite
    adequate. Sometime even a clean hanky and breath. If that wasn't
    adequate, try warm water (not letting it get into the lends, of course),
    and if not that /very/ mildly soapy warm water.

    Modern lens coatings are usually quite robust, but I suspect that not even
    Canon's would stand the wire wool treatment! <G>

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 16, 2010

  3. whisky-dave

    Rutger Guest

    "whisky-dave" <> schreef in bericht

    > Basically the lens on my G10 seems to have attracted some beer/lager drops
    > and stains that seemed to have dried into a smear. I ahven;t noticed any
    > discussions about such things here for quite a while so was wondering if
    > there's any prefered methods or solutions (pun intented)
    > Got me wire wool and bleach ready ;-)

    I use my piece of cloth i got when i got my glasses. Works very fine.

    Rutger

    www.amons.net

    Rutger, Jul 16, 2010
  4. whisky-dave

    GMAN Guest

    In article <i1plhp$2in$-september.org>, "David J Taylor" <> wrote:
    >"whisky-dave" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Basically the lens on my G10 seems to have attracted some beer/lager
    >> drops and stains that seemed to have dried into a smear. I ahven;t
    >> noticed any discussions about such things here for quite a while so was
    >> wondering if there's any prefered methods or solutions (pun intented)
    >> Got me wire wool and bleach ready ;-)

    >I usually find a lens cloth (e.g. Jessops) and moist breath quite
    >adequate. Sometime even a clean hanky and breath. If that wasn't
    >adequate, try warm water (not letting it get into the lends, of course),
    >and if not that /very/ mildly soapy warm water.

    Do you realize how much greassy crap comes flying out of your mouth when you
    breathe on your lens?

    GMAN, Jul 16, 2010
  5. "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    []
    > Do you realize how much greassy crap comes flying out of your mouth when
    > you
    > breathe on your lens?

    Your can speak for your own mouth and eating habits!

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 16, 2010
  6. whisky-dave

    GMAN Guest

    In article <i1qbkc$433$-september.org>, "David J Taylor" <> wrote:
    >"GMAN" <> wrote in message
    >[]
    >> Do you realize how much greassy crap comes flying out of your mouth when
    >> you
    >> breathe on your lens?

    >Your can speak for your own mouth and eating habits!
    >
    >David

    Says the one who eats meat pies made out of stomach and head cheese..

    Even Nikon says that its bad.

    http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/539

    "Do not breathe on the lens to fog it for cleaning. There are harmful acids in
    breath that can damage lens coatings"

    Not only are there minute particles of what you have been eatting, but you are
    breathing out carbon dioxide, an acid !!!!!

    GMAN, Jul 16, 2010
  7. whisky-dave

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On Jul 16, 8:00 am, "whisky-dave" <> wrote:
    > Basically the lens on my G10 seems to have attracted some beer/lager drops
    > and stains that seemed to have dried into a smear. I ahven;t noticed any
    > discussions about such things here for quite a while so was wondering if
    > there's any prefered methods or solutions (pun intented)
    > Got me wire wool and bleach ready ;-)

    Just ask the bartender for a shot of Everclear and a napkin.

    --
    YOP...

    Nervous Nick, Jul 17, 2010

    <> wrote:
    >>"GMAN" <> wrote in message

    >>[]
    >>> Do you realize how much greassy crap comes flying out of your mouth
    >>> when you breathe on your lens?

    >>Your can speak for your own mouth and eating habits!
    >>
    >>David

    > Says the one who eats meat pies made out of stomach and head cheese..
    >
    > Even Nikon says that its bad.
    >
    > http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/539
    >
    > "Do not breathe on the lens to fog it for cleaning. There are harmful acids
    > in breath that can damage lens coatings"
    >
    > Not only are there minute particles of what you have been eatting, but you
    > are breathing out carbon dioxide, an acid !!!!!

    I think the above is a "gross" exaggeration of things since the "acid"
    is VERY mild, and only VERY temporarily on the lens surface. BTW,
    if one breathes UP onto the down-facing lens surface, spit, etc. tend
    not to reach the lens surface, just the fogging moisture. I have used this
    method successfully for decades to clean lenses. For more difficult
    "glop" on the lens, I VERY SLIGHTLY moisten a Q-Tip with Windex
    (a window cleaner), then in turn use that to barely moisten another
    Q-Tip for the actual cleaning, finishing with breath and a good lens
    tissue (AFTER washing my hands with a dish washing detergent),
    WITHOUT silicone in it (that's horrible stuff to remove from a lens
    later, when it begins to fog). Some now prefer microfiber cloths for
    lens cleaning, though...
    --DR

    David Ruether, Jul 17, 2010
  9. "David Ruether" <> wrote in message
    []
    > I think the above is a "gross" exaggeration of things since the "acid"
    > is VERY mild, and only VERY temporarily on the lens surface. BTW,
    > if one breathes UP onto the down-facing lens surface, spit, etc. tend
    > not to reach the lens surface, just the fogging moisture. I have used
    > this
    > method successfully for decades to clean lenses. For more difficult
    > "glop" on the lens, I VERY SLIGHTLY moisten a Q-Tip with Windex
    > (a window cleaner), then in turn use that to barely moisten another
    > Q-Tip for the actual cleaning, finishing with breath and a good lens
    > tissue (AFTER washing my hands with a dish washing detergent),
    > WITHOUT silicone in it (that's horrible stuff to remove from a lens
    > later, when it begins to fog). Some now prefer microfiber cloths for
    > lens cleaning, though...
    > --DR

    What did you expect from the resident troll?

    Like you, I have used this method for decades to clean lenses, and I have
    /never/ seen any ill effects. And I'm proud of my lenses, and would
    certainly not do anything to damage them. Modern lens coatings are
    relatively robust.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 17, 2010
  10. whisky-dave

    GMAN Guest

    In article <i1sdgo$d7m$-september.org>, "David J Taylor" <> wrote:
    >"David Ruether" <> wrote in message
    >[]
    >> I think the above is a "gross" exaggeration of things since the "acid"
    >> is VERY mild, and only VERY temporarily on the lens surface. BTW,
    >> if one breathes UP onto the down-facing lens surface, spit, etc. tend
    >> not to reach the lens surface, just the fogging moisture. I have used
    >> this
    >> method successfully for decades to clean lenses. For more difficult
    >> "glop" on the lens, I VERY SLIGHTLY moisten a Q-Tip with Windex
    >> (a window cleaner), then in turn use that to barely moisten another
    >> Q-Tip for the actual cleaning, finishing with breath and a good lens
    >> tissue (AFTER washing my hands with a dish washing detergent),
    >> WITHOUT silicone in it (that's horrible stuff to remove from a lens
    >> later, when it begins to fog). Some now prefer microfiber cloths for
    >> lens cleaning, though...
    >> --DR

    >What did you expect from the resident troll?

    LMFAO!!!!!!!

    Go ahead and keep spitting on your lenses. Most major manufacturers frown upon
    this habit and I personally trust Nikon, Canon, etc.. over someones stupid
    habits.

    GMAN, Jul 17, 2010
  11. whisky-dave

    whisky-dave Guest

    "whisky-dave" <> wrote in message

    Cheers for the useful replies, I was wondering about the breathing on it
    option.
    I considered using one of those cleaners for LCD computer displays.

    whisky-dave, Jul 19, 2010
  12. "whisky-dave" <> wrote in message
    []
    > Cheers for the useful replies, I was wondering about the breathing on it
    > option.

    Works well for many of us!

    > I considered using one of those cleaners for LCD computer displays.

    I would avoid that. if you must use a fluid, use one designed for camera
    lens cleaning.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 19, 2010
  13. whisky-dave

    zulu Guest

    > The only thing that has me puzzled is why I'm even sharing this valuable
    > information with cretins that don't deserve help from anyone in the world
    > at all. I'll never know. Perhaps for the 1 or 2 who might read this who
    > don't deserve to suffer for you resident trolls being complete asswipes.

    maybe because you're a unicorn-you don't really exist except in your
    own mind. you make-believe like unicorn. you all fairy tale and story
    and no reality. only a ugly unicorn that no one really want to listen
    to but you never go away. maybe more like cancer then unicorn. yeah
    you not unicorn. you cancer. group message board cancer

    zulu, Jul 19, 2010
  14. whisky-dave

    GMAN Guest

    In article <i21kg6$sfm$-september.org>, "David J Taylor" <> wrote:
    >"whisky-dave" <> wrote in message
    >[]
    >> Cheers for the useful replies, I was wondering about the breathing on it
    >> option.

    >Works well for many of us!
    >
    >> I considered using one of those cleaners for LCD computer displays.

    >I would avoid that. if you must use a fluid, use one designed for camera
    >lens cleaning.

    Like spit!!! LOL!

    GMAN, Jul 19, 2010
  15. whisky-dave

    John Turco Guest

    whisky-dave wrote:

    > Basically the lens on my G10 seems to have attracted some beer/lager drops
    > and stains that seemed to have dried into a smear. I ahven;t noticed any
    > discussions about such things here for quite a while so was wondering if
    > there's any prefered methods or solutions (pun intented)
    > Got me wire wool and bleach ready ;-)

    Just apply a few drops of whisky, dave.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 20, 2010
  16. whisky-dave

    John Turco Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > "David Ruether" <> wrote in message
    > []
    > > I think the above is a "gross" exaggeration of things since the "acid"
    > > is VERY mild, and only VERY temporarily on the lens surface. BTW,
    > > if one breathes UP onto the down-facing lens surface, spit, etc. tend
    > > not to reach the lens surface, just the fogging moisture. I have used
    > > this
    > > method successfully for decades to clean lenses. For more difficult
    > > "glop" on the lens, I VERY SLIGHTLY moisten a Q-Tip with Windex
    > > (a window cleaner), then in turn use that to barely moisten another
    > > Q-Tip for the actual cleaning, finishing with breath and a good lens
    > > tissue (AFTER washing my hands with a dish washing detergent),
    > > WITHOUT silicone in it (that's horrible stuff to remove from a lens
    > > later, when it begins to fog). Some now prefer microfiber cloths for
    > > lens cleaning, though...
    > > --DR

    > What did you expect from the resident troll?
    >
    > Like you, I have used this method for decades to clean lenses, and I have
    > /never/ seen any ill effects. And I'm proud of my lenses, and would
    > certainly not do anything to damage them. Modern lens coatings are
    > relatively robust.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    "GMAN" <>" is not who you think he is!

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 20, 2010
  17. "John Turco" <> wrote in message
    []
    > "GMAN" <>" is not who you think he is!
    >
    > --
    > Cordially,
    > John Turco <>

    It went in the killfile based on what I saw. I'll remove it based on what
    you say.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 20, 2010
  18. whisky-dave

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, John Turco <> wrote:
    >David J Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >> "David Ruether" <> wrote in message
    >> []
    >> > I think the above is a "gross" exaggeration of things since the "acid"
    >> > is VERY mild, and only VERY temporarily on the lens surface. BTW,
    >> > if one breathes UP onto the down-facing lens surface, spit, etc. tend
    >> > not to reach the lens surface, just the fogging moisture. I have used
    >> > this
    >> > method successfully for decades to clean lenses. For more difficult
    >> > "glop" on the lens, I VERY SLIGHTLY moisten a Q-Tip with Windex
    >> > (a window cleaner), then in turn use that to barely moisten another
    >> > Q-Tip for the actual cleaning, finishing with breath and a good lens
    >> > tissue (AFTER washing my hands with a dish washing detergent),
    >> > WITHOUT silicone in it (that's horrible stuff to remove from a lens
    >> > later, when it begins to fog). Some now prefer microfiber cloths for
    >> > lens cleaning, though...
    >> > --DR

    >> What did you expect from the resident troll?
    >>
    >> Like you, I have used this method for decades to clean lenses, and I have
    >> /never/ seen any ill effects. And I'm proud of my lenses, and would
    >> certainly not do anything to damage them. Modern lens coatings are
    >> relatively robust.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> David

    >"GMAN" <>" is not who you think he is!

    Who am I?

    GMAN, Jul 20, 2010
  19. whisky-dave

    infiniteMPG Guest

    > The only thing that has me puzzled is why I'm even sharing this valuable
    > information with cretins that don't deserve help from anyone in the world
    > at all. I'll never know. Perhaps for the 1 or 2 who might read this who
    > don't deserve to suffer for you resident trolls being complete asswipes.

    watching you Better Info LOL! Outing Trolls is FUN! Truman :) almost
    ready to roflmao

    infiniteMPG, Jul 21, 2010
  20. whisky-dave

    whisky-dave Guest

    "John Turco" <> wrote in message
    > whisky-dave wrote:
    >>
    >> Basically the lens on my G10 seems to have attracted some beer/lager
    >> drops
    >> and stains that seemed to have dried into a smear. I ahven;t noticed any
    >> discussions about such things here for quite a while so was wondering if
    >> there's any prefered methods or solutions (pun intented)
    >> Got me wire wool and bleach ready ;-)

    > Just apply a few drops of whisky, dave.

    You really think I'm going to waste whisky cleaning a lens !!!! :)

    Although I've heard good vodka is a better cleaner.

    whisky-dave, Jul 21, 2010