Lens Cap Holder - Sima Cap Keeper

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Randy Given, Nov 25, 2005.

  1. Randy Given

    Randy Given Guest

    Do the Sima Cap Keeper things work on Nikon lens caps like the 52mm DX
    13-55? Are they a waste of money? Are there better alternatives?
     
    Randy Given, Nov 25, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "Randy Given" <> wrote:
    >Do the Sima Cap Keeper things work on Nikon lens caps like the 52mm DX
    >13-55? Are they a waste of money? Are there better alternatives?


    I drill two small holes, one on either side of the center ridge,
    in each lense cap. I then string a bit of black elastic cord
    through the cap, and tie it off there, with the other end
    circling the lense and being tied off there too. My lense
    caps stay with the lense... dangling below it when not attached
    to the lense itself.

    This is not without certain problems. The lense cap of course
    now has a pair of holes in it, and is not quite as dust tight as
    it was before; but I don't see that as much of a problem, given
    that I use a small drill which is very close to the same
    diameter as the cord I use.

    Another problem is the cord looped around the lense. With some
    lenses that is just easy, but some lenses end up with the cord
    wanting to interfere with focusing or maybe the zoom control.
    If it binds the focus ring (I've got one where it can get
    between the barrel of the lense and the lense hood that I use)
    it can stop the Auto Focus motor from functioning.

    --
    Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
     
    Floyd Davidson, Nov 25, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Randy Given

    irwell Guest

    On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:07:11 -0900, Floyd Davidson <>
    wrote:

    >"Randy Given" <> wrote:
    >>Do the Sima Cap Keeper things work on Nikon lens caps like the 52mm DX
    >>13-55? Are they a waste of money? Are there better alternatives?

    >
    >I drill two small holes, one on either side of the center ridge,
    >in each lense cap. I then string a bit of black elastic cord
    >through the cap, and tie it off there, with the other end
    >circling the lense and being tied off there too. My lense
    >caps stay with the lense... dangling below it when not attached
    >to the lense itself.



    I did something similar, only just used a blob of epoxy to
    secure the elastic, the other end of the elastic I looped
    through the camera strap holder on the camera.
    It dangles well out of the way when the camera is in
    the shooting mode.
     
    irwell, Nov 26, 2005
    #3
  4. In article <8zMhf.14203$Mi5.11015@dukeread07>, Randy Given
    <> wrote:

    > Do the Sima Cap Keeper things work on Nikon lens caps like the 52mm DX
    > 13-55? Are they a waste of money? Are there better alternatives?


    Foolish me...I've always just stuck 'em in my pocket.
     
    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 26, 2005
    #4
  5. Randy Given

    Randy Given Guest

    >> Do the Sima Cap Keeper things work on Nikon lens caps like the 52mm DX
    >> 13-55? Are they a waste of money? Are there better alternatives?

    >
    > Foolish me...I've always just stuck 'em in my pocket.


    Yeah, sure, if you want lint buildup in the cap and then sticking on the
    lens. That's why I'm asking. ;)
     
    Randy Given, Nov 26, 2005
    #5
  6. In article <VW2if.14272$Mi5.5785@dukeread07>, Randy Given
    <> wrote:

    > Yeah, sure, if you want lint buildup in the cap and then sticking on the
    > lens. That's why I'm asking. ;)


    I've never had that problem. Clean pockets?
     
    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 26, 2005
    #6
  7. Randy Given

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 14:44:28 -0500, "Randy Given" <>
    wrote:

    >>> Do the Sima Cap Keeper things work on Nikon lens caps like the 52mm DX
    >>> 13-55? Are they a waste of money? Are there better alternatives?

    >>
    >> Foolish me...I've always just stuck 'em in my pocket.

    >
    >Yeah, sure, if you want lint buildup in the cap and then sticking on the
    >lens. That's why I'm asking. ;)
    >


    Don't you know about Life Savers?
    They are made specificaly to collect that lint.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"
    funktionality.blogspot.com
     
    Bill Funk, Nov 26, 2005
    #7
  8. Randy Given

    Tesco News Guest

    "Randy Given" <> wrote in message
    news:8zMhf.14203$Mi5.11015@dukeread07...
    > Do the Sima Cap Keeper things work on Nikon lens caps like the 52mm DX
    > 13-55? Are they a waste of money? Are there better alternatives?
    >
    >

    Hi.

    Like R. Ainsworth, I always just take the cap off, sometimes it goes in a
    pocket, sometimes just thrown in the bottom of the bag.

    I hate to say this, but I will say it.

    I have always thought that people with lens cap keepers, and lens caps
    dangling from the camera look like Anoraks. Those in UK will know exactly
    what I mean, but for those in the USA sustitute Dorks for Anoraks.

    Roy G
     
    Tesco News, Nov 27, 2005
    #8
  9. In article <Gnjif.6790$>, Tesco News
    <> wrote:

    > Like R. Ainsworth, I always just take the cap off, sometimes it goes in a
    > pocket, sometimes just thrown in the bottom of the bag.
    >
    > I hate to say this, but I will say it.
    >
    > I have always thought that people with lens cap keepers, and lens caps
    > dangling from the camera look like Anoraks. Those in UK will know exactly
    > what I mean, but for those in the USA sustitute Dorks for Anoraks.


    If I'm out in the field, I usually wear a Quest vest. The lens cap goes
    into whatever pocket the lens came out of. But it's either that or my
    pants pocket. I've never had a problem with lint or other cooties in
    almost 40 years of photography.

    And I have to agree with you about the cap dangling on some kind of
    string - DORK ALERT!
     
    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 27, 2005
    #9
  10. Randy Given

    Randy Given Guest

    I agree. LOL. I'm sticking with in my pocket or bag. Still, thanks!
     
    Randy Given, Nov 27, 2005
    #10
  11. Randy Given

    irwell Guest

    On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 09:16:58 -0800, Randall Ainsworth
    <> wrote:

    >In article <Gnjif.6790$>, Tesco News
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Like R. Ainsworth, I always just take the cap off, sometimes it goes in a
    >> pocket, sometimes just thrown in the bottom of the bag.
    >>
    >> I hate to say this, but I will say it.
    >>
    >> I have always thought that people with lens cap keepers, and lens caps
    >> dangling from the camera look like Anoraks. Those in UK will know exactly
    >> what I mean, but for those in the USA sustitute Dorks for Anoraks.

    >
    >If I'm out in the field, I usually wear a Quest vest. The lens cap goes
    >into whatever pocket the lens came out of. But it's either that or my
    >pants pocket. I've never had a problem with lint or other cooties in
    >almost 40 years of photography.
    >
    >And I have to agree with you about the cap dangling on some kind of
    >string - DORK ALERT!


    So what do you with your car gas cap if it comes with
    a captive leash? Cut it off so you can kick it about the
    gas station forecourt picking up dirt etc., to contaminate
    your fuel, at the same time shouting 'Look at me, I'm not a dork'.
    And wearing a Qvest to boot!
     
    irwell, Nov 28, 2005
    #11
  12. In article <>, irwell
    <> wrote:

    > So what do you with your car gas cap if it comes with
    > a captive leash? Cut it off so you can kick it about the
    > gas station forecourt picking up dirt etc., to contaminate
    > your fuel, at the same time shouting 'Look at me, I'm not a dork'.
    > And wearing a Qvest to boot!


    Non sequitir. Try comparing two similar things next time.
     
    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 28, 2005
    #12
  13. Randy Given

    irwell Guest

    On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:21:27 -0800, Randall Ainsworth
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, irwell
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> So what do you with your car gas cap if it comes with
    >> a captive leash? Cut it off so you can kick it about the
    >> gas station forecourt picking up dirt etc., to contaminate
    >> your fuel, at the same time shouting 'Look at me, I'm not a dork'.
    >> And wearing a Qvest to boot!

    >
    >Non sequitir. Try comparing two similar things next time.


    Non sequitur is the better spelling. Both gas caps and lens caps
    perform similar purposes, protection from destructive grit etc.
    So do you, as a non-dork remove the dongle from your gas cap?
     
    irwell, Nov 28, 2005
    #13
  14. In article <>, irwell
    <> wrote:

    > Non sequitur is the better spelling. Both gas caps and lens caps
    > perform similar purposes, protection from destructive grit etc.
    > So do you, as a non-dork remove the dongle from your gas cap?


    No, I leave the strap attached. But I like to drive around with it
    dangling there. It looks cool.
     
    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 28, 2005
    #14
  15. Randy Given

    Stacey Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:


    >
    > If I'm out in the field, I usually wear a Quest vest.


    >
    > And I have to agree with you about the cap dangling on some kind of
    > string - DORK ALERT!


    Yea and those vests look so cool...

    --

    Stacey
     
    Stacey, Nov 28, 2005
    #15
  16. On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 09:16:58 -0800, Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    >In article <Gnjif.6790$>, Tesco News
    ><> wrote:


    >> I hate to say this, but I will say it.
    >>
    >> I have always thought that people with lens cap keepers, and lens caps
    >> dangling from the camera look like Anoraks. Those in UK will know exactly
    >> what I mean, but for those in the USA sustitute Dorks for Anoraks.


    >If I'm out in the field, I usually wear a Quest vest. The lens cap goes
    >into whatever pocket the lens came out of. But it's either that or my
    >pants pocket. I've never had a problem with lint or other cooties in
    >almost 40 years of photography.
    >
    >And I have to agree with you about the cap dangling on some kind of
    >string - DORK ALERT!


    Ha!

    A dork talking to a dork. Very funny.

    If these definitions were true, then "dork" would soon assume
    the meaning of "professional". Hoho ...

    It's similar to geek in computerspeak. It started out as a
    derogative word, until the male geeks began to be seen with the
    most attractive females. :)-)

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
     
    Hans-Georg Michna, Nov 28, 2005
    #16
  17. In article <>, Stacey
    <> wrote:

    > Yea and those vests look so cool...


    Given the choice of using a camera bag or a vest...a vest is the better
    way to go. Or you could just put the camera in a never-ready case and
    hang it around your neck.
     
    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 28, 2005
    #17
  18. Randy Given

    George Kerby Guest

    On 11/27/05 10:06 PM, in article 271120052006073646%,
    "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote:

    > In article <>, irwell
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Non sequitur is the better spelling. Both gas caps and lens caps
    >> perform similar purposes, protection from destructive grit etc.
    >> So do you, as a non-dork remove the dongle from your gas cap?

    >
    > No, I leave the strap attached. But I like to drive around with it
    > dangling there. It looks cool.

    Not to mention what it does for the soundtrack, next to the microphone and
    all...


    _______________________________________________________________________________
    Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
    <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>
     
    George Kerby, Nov 28, 2005
    #18
  19. Randy Given

    irwell Guest

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 02:52:48 -0500, Stacey <> wrote:

    >Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    >
    >
    >>
    >> If I'm out in the field, I usually wear a Quest vest.

    >
    >>
    >> And I have to agree with you about the cap dangling on some kind of
    >> string - DORK ALERT!

    >
    >Yea and those vests look so cool...


    Especially the Saddam Hussein model.
     
    irwell, Nov 28, 2005
    #19
  20. Randy Given

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 28 Nov 2005 15:57:05 GMT, George Kerby <>
    wrote:

    >
    >
    >
    >On 11/27/05 10:06 PM, in article 271120052006073646%,
    >"Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, irwell
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Non sequitur is the better spelling. Both gas caps and lens caps
    >>> perform similar purposes, protection from destructive grit etc.
    >>> So do you, as a non-dork remove the dongle from your gas cap?

    >>
    >> No, I leave the strap attached. But I like to drive around with it
    >> dangling there. It looks cool.

    >Not to mention what it does for the soundtrack, next to the microphone and
    >all...


    Your gas tank has a microphone?
    Is that to capture your moans about gas prices as you fill up? :)

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"
    funktionality.blogspot.com
     
    Bill Funk, Nov 28, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. wpog
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    806
    Roland
    Jun 26, 2005
  2. Orville Wright

    Re: Psest lits keeper for hire

    Orville Wright, Jul 13, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    413
    Orville Wright
    Jul 13, 2004
  3. lagniappe
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    6,083
    Cyclograph
    Jun 8, 2004
  4. ROBERT BROOKS

    dis keeper

    ROBERT BROOKS, Jun 23, 2004, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    459
    Wizard
    Jun 24, 2004
  5. Mardon

    % 'Keeper's?

    Mardon, Dec 16, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    27
    Views:
    1,010
    Daniel Silevitch
    Jan 3, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page