    film (very badly) with my Canon Rebel.
    Thanks for any advice...

    Bob

    bob, Aug 18, 2004

  2. bob wrote:

    > As a rookie, I have a Canon EOS Rebel (film) camera with a
    > ProMaster 70-300mm lens.
    > I'm getting a Nikon D70. Is there an adapter that will allow
    > me to use the Canon ProMaster lens on my Nikon D70 body ?

    No

    > If so, roughly how much $ and where to get ? And what are
    > the downsides (auto focus won't work ? etc ?).

    1) Infinity focus would be impossible without an optical converter
    2) Its not possible to control the aperture without a Canon body
    3) Focus would be manual *if* an adapter existed

    > I simply cannot afford another 300mm lens yet and need one to
    > shoot football with the D70. So even if it is not ideal to
    > reuse my ProMaster lens, if I can't then I can't get the D70
    > yet and must suffer through another football season shooting
    > film (very badly) with my Canon Rebel.
    > Thanks for any advice...
    >
    > Bob

    Buy a Canon Digital Rebel, instead of a Nikon D70?

    -Dave

    Dave Herzstein, Aug 18, 2004

  3. "bob" <> wrote in message
    > As a rookie, I have a Canon EOS Rebel (film) camera with a
    > ProMaster 70-300mm lens.
    > I'm getting a Nikon D70. Is there an adapter that will allow
    > me to use the Canon ProMaster lens on my Nikon D70 body ?
    > If so, roughly how much $ and where to get ? And what are
    > the downsides (auto focus won't work ? etc ?).
    > I simply cannot afford another 300mm lens yet and need one to
    > shoot football with the D70. So even if it is not ideal to
    > reuse my ProMaster lens, if I can't then I can't get the D70
    > yet and must suffer through another football season shooting
    > film (very badly) with my Canon Rebel.
    > Thanks for any advice...
    >
    > Bob

    The Nikon 70-300 4.5-5.6 G lens is only around $160.

    If you can afford a D70, you can spring for that.

    Chuck McDevitt, Aug 18, 2004
  4. bob

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>, says...

    >bob wrote:
    >>
    >> As a rookie, I have a Canon EOS Rebel (film) camera with a
    >> ProMaster 70-300mm lens.
    >> I'm getting a Nikon D70. Is there an adapter that will allow
    >> me to use the Canon ProMaster lens on my Nikon D70 body ?

    >No
    >
    >> If so, roughly how much $ and where to get ? And what are
    >> the downsides (auto focus won't work ? etc ?).

    >1) Infinity focus would be impossible without an optical converter
    >2) Its not possible to control the aperture without a Canon body
    >3) Focus would be manual *if* an adapter existed
    >
    >> I simply cannot afford another 300mm lens yet and need one to
    >> shoot football with the D70. So even if it is not ideal to
    >> reuse my ProMaster lens, if I can't then I can't get the D70
    >> yet and must suffer through another football season shooting
    >> film (very badly) with my Canon Rebel.
    >> Thanks for any advice...
    >>
    >> Bob

    >Buy a Canon Digital Rebel, instead of a Nikon D70?
    >
    >-Dave

    If the lens is important, that sounds like the way to go.

    Back in the days of C-F1 & N-F thru F2, there were several adaptors that were
    marketed for conversions both ways. They never seemed to be around very long,
    however, for the reasons that you stated. Marty Fourcher [SP?] did some
    conversions, first from Nikon lenses > Canon, then Canon lenses > Nikon, as
    Canon took the forefront in optics. I do not know if he is still in business,
    but doubt that his company would even think about doing such now, with AF
    servo connections, as well as many other electronic circuits. I can't believe
    that one could be manufactured for less than the cost of a corresponding body.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Aug 18, 2004
  5. bob

    RSD99 Guest

    "Hunt" posted:
    "...
    If the lens is important, that sounds like the way to go.

    Back in the days of C-F1 & N-F thru F2, there were several adaptors that were
    marketed for conversions both ways.
    ...."

    Yes ... that was before autofocus, and they were manual exposure only ... no auto
    exposure.

    IIRC the spelling was Marty Forscher ...and his company was "Professional Camera Repair"
    in NYC. And yes, he (they) made many different kinds of camera modifications over the
    years, including such things as Polaroid backs for the Nikon F-series cameras, adapters
    for using Canon lenses on Nikons, Nikon lenses on Canons ... and so forth.

    A search on
    Marty Forscher Camera Repair
    will get you quite a few hits.

    RSD99, Aug 19, 2004
  6. bob

    Mark B. Guest

    "bob" <> wrote in message
    > As a rookie, I have a Canon EOS Rebel (film) camera with a
    > ProMaster 70-300mm lens.
    > I'm getting a Nikon D70. Is there an adapter that will allow
    > me to use the Canon ProMaster lens on my Nikon D70 body ?
    > If so, roughly how much $ and where to get ? And what are
    > the downsides (auto focus won't work ? etc ?).
    > I simply cannot afford another 300mm lens yet and need one to
    > shoot football with the D70. So even if it is not ideal to
    > reuse my ProMaster lens, if I can't then I can't get the D70
    > yet and must suffer through another football season shooting
    > film (very badly) with my Canon Rebel.

    So is going digital supposed to make you shoot well? That's not how it
    works. Anyway, ProMaster lenes are very low-end consumer lenses made by
    Sigma. I wouldn't go to too much trouble to adapt it to another mount. Why
    not go with the Canon 300D? Even 10D prices have started to drop, and that
    was before the 20D was leaked.

    Mark

    Mark B., Aug 19, 2004
  7. "Dave Herzstein" <> wrote in message
    > bob wrote:
    > >
    > > As a rookie, I have a Canon EOS Rebel (film) camera with a
    > > ProMaster 70-300mm lens.
    > > I'm getting a Nikon D70. Is there an adapter that will allow
    > > me to use the Canon ProMaster lens on my Nikon D70 body ?

    > No
    >
    > > If so, roughly how much $ and where to get ? And what are
    > > the downsides (auto focus won't work ? etc ?).

    > 1) Infinity focus would be impossible without an optical converter
    > 2) Its not possible to control the aperture without a Canon body
    > 3) Focus would be manual *if* an adapter existed
    >
    > > I simply cannot afford another 300mm lens yet and need one to
    > > shoot football with the D70. So even if it is not ideal to
    > > reuse my ProMaster lens, if I can't then I can't get the D70
    > > yet and must suffer through another football season shooting
    > > film (very badly) with my Canon Rebel.
    > > Thanks for any advice...
    > >
    > > Bob

    > Buy a Canon Digital Rebel, instead of a Nikon D70?

    Or wait until September when the 10D price is cut....

    Darrell Larose, Aug 19, 2004
  8. bob

    Apteryx Guest

    "bob" <> wrote in message
    > As a rookie, I have a Canon EOS Rebel (film) camera with a
    > ProMaster 70-300mm lens.
    > I'm getting a Nikon D70. Is there an adapter that will allow
    > me to use the Canon ProMaster lens on my Nikon D70 body ?
    > If so, roughly how much $ and where to get ? And what are
    > the downsides (auto focus won't work ? etc ?).
    > I simply cannot afford another 300mm lens yet and need one to
    > shoot football with the D70. So even if it is not ideal to
    > reuse my ProMaster lens, if I can't then I can't get the D70
    > yet and must suffer through another football season shooting
    > film (very badly) with my Canon Rebel.
    > Thanks for any advice...

    Someone has already mentioned the Nikon 70-300 4.5-5.6 G lens, and I'd
    agree with that. If you were planning to buy an adaptor, you may be
    able to get it for within the money you allowing for that. Obviously no
    professional sports photographer would describe that as a sports lens
    (too slow - max aperture at 300mm is f5.6, too slow in focusing, and too
    soft at the edges on max aperture) but it should be better than the
    ProMaster anyway. I have used it to get some reasonably good photos
    from the sidelines of a club rugby match.

    --
    Apteryx
    Treat anger like gold. Spend it wisely or not at all.

    Apteryx, Aug 19, 2004
  9. In article <sORUc.35903$>, RSD99
    <> wrote:

    > IIRC the spelling was Marty Forscher ...and his company was "Professional
    > Camera Repair"
    > in NYC. And yes, he (they) made many different kinds of camera modifications
    > over the
    > years, including such things as Polaroid backs for the Nikon F-series
    > cameras, adapters
    > for using Canon lenses on Nikons, Nikon lenses on Canons ... and so forth.

    I believe I read last year in Popular Photography that Marty had
    retired.

    Scott Schuckert, Aug 19, 2004
  10. bob

    Hunt Guest

    In article <sORUc.35903$>,
    says...

    >"Hunt" posted:
    >"...
    >If the lens is important, that sounds like the way to go.
    >
    >Back in the days of C-F1 & N-F thru F2, there were several adaptors that were
    >marketed for conversions both ways.
    >..."
    >
    >Yes ... that was before autofocus, and they were manual exposure only ... no

    aut
    >exposure.
    >
    >IIRC the spelling was Marty Forscher ...and his company was "Professional

    Camera
    > Repair"
    >in NYC. And yes, he (they) made many different kinds of camera modifications

    ove
    >r the
    >years, including such things as Polaroid backs for the Nikon F-series

    cameras, a
    >dapters
    >for using Canon lenses on Nikons, Nikon lenses on Canons ... and so forth.
    >
    >A search on
    > Marty Forscher Camera Repair
    >will get you quite a few hits.

    [SNIP]

    Thanks, I did not know if they were still around and am glad to hear they are.
    Great shop, at least back in the 70-80's.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Aug 19, 2004
  11. bob

    bob carwell Guest

    "Apteryx" <> wrote in message news:<e5WUc.15031$>...
    > "bob" <> wrote in message
    > > As a rookie, I have a Canon EOS Rebel (film) camera with a
    > > ProMaster 70-300mm lens.
    > > I'm getting a Nikon D70. Is there an adapter that will allow
    > > me to use the Canon ProMaster lens on my Nikon D70 body ?
    > > If so, roughly how much $ and where to get ? And what are
    > > the downsides (auto focus won't work ? etc ?).
    > > I simply cannot afford another 300mm lens yet and need one to
    > > shoot football with the D70. So even if it is not ideal to
    > > reuse my ProMaster lens, if I can't then I can't get the D70
    > > yet and must suffer through another football season shooting
    > > film (very badly) with my Canon Rebel.
    > > Thanks for any advice...

    > Someone has already mentioned the Nikon 70-300 4.5-5.6 G lens, and I'd
    > agree with that. If you were planning to buy an adaptor, you may be
    > able to get it for within the money you allowing for that. Obviously no
    > professional sports photographer would describe that as a sports lens
    > (too slow - max aperture at 300mm is f5.6, too slow in focusing, and too
    > soft at the edges on max aperture) but it should be better than the
    > ProMaster anyway. I have used it to get some reasonably good photos
    > from the sidelines of a club rugby match.

    Thank you all for taking the time to help with your informative
    answers.
    I've decided to kiss off getting an adapter for reasons you all
    gave. Have decidced to get the D70 and Nikon 70-300 lens. Canon
    digital Rebel does not appear to be as good a camera as D70 from what
    I've read. Remaining question then is whether to hang on to Canon film
    Rebel and lens. I know I wouldn't get much for them but something is
    better than nothing especially if with a D70 there is no reason to
    keep them. Comments ?
    And Mark as for whether I think digital will magically in and of
    itself make me a better photographer the answer is clearly "No" at
    least in the short run. It's just that it's far easier,cheaper and
    quicker for a neophyte like me to experiment without incurring film
    and development costs (not to mention delay between
    'experiments')until I understand the basics better of aperture,
    shutter speed, ISO, etc., etc.
    Again, thanks to all for your kind help.
    Bob

    bob carwell, Aug 24, 2004
  12. bob

    Jim Guest

    "bob carwell" <> wrote in message
    > answers.
    > I've decided to kiss off getting an adapter for reasons you all
    > gave. Have decidced to get the D70 and Nikon 70-300 lens. Canon
    > digital Rebel does not appear to be as good a camera as D70 from what
    > I've read. Remaining question then is whether to hang on to Canon film
    > Rebel and lens. I know I wouldn't get much for them but something is
    > better than nothing especially if with a D70 there is no reason to
    > keep them. Comments ?

    If there is a difference between these two cameras, it is marginal.
    > And Mark as for whether I think digital will magically in and of
    > itself make me a better photographer the answer is clearly "No" at
    > least in the short run. It's just that it's far easier,cheaper and
    > quicker for a neophyte like me to experiment without incurring film
    > and development costs (not to mention delay between
    > 'experiments')until I understand the basics better of aperture,
    > shutter speed, ISO, etc., etc.

    If I owned a Canon, I would buy the Rebel. However, as I own lots of Nikon
    lenses, I bought the D70.
    Jim

    Jim, Aug 24, 2004
  13. "bob carwell" <> wrote in message

    > > Someone has already mentioned the Nikon 70-300 4.5-5.6 G lens, and I'd
    > > agree with that. If you were planning to buy an adaptor, you may be
    > > able to get it for within the money you allowing for that. Obviously no
    > > professional sports photographer would describe that as a sports lens
    > > (too slow - max aperture at 300mm is f5.6, too slow in focusing, and too
    > > soft at the edges on max aperture) but it should be better than the
    > > ProMaster anyway. I have used it to get some reasonably good photos
    > > from the sidelines of a club rugby match.

    > Thank you all for taking the time to help with your informative
    > answers.
    > I've decided to kiss off getting an adapter for reasons you all
    > gave. Have decidced to get the D70 and Nikon 70-300 lens. Canon
    > digital Rebel does not appear to be as good a camera as D70 from what
    > I've read. Remaining question then is whether to hang on to Canon film
    > Rebel and lens. I know I wouldn't get much for them but something is
    > better than nothing especially if with a D70 there is no reason to
    > keep them. Comments ?
    > And Mark as for whether I think digital will magically in and of
    > itself make me a better photographer the answer is clearly "No" at
    > least in the short run. It's just that it's far easier,cheaper and
    > quicker for a neophyte like me to experiment without incurring film
    > and development costs (not to mention delay between
    > 'experiments')until I understand the basics better of aperture,
    > shutter speed, ISO, etc., etc.
    > Again, thanks to all for your kind help.
    > Bob

    The Canon 10D is appearing used around here. I also expect the new 10D
    prices to drop because of the 20D announcement! The 10D is a better dSLR
    than the 300D Drebel...

    Darrell Larose, Aug 24, 2004