    my other bag is full of nikon glass, but i am just looking into
    alternatives.

    thanks
    joe mama, Jun 21, 2006

  2. joe mama

    Chieh Cheng Guest

    Chieh Cheng, Jun 21, 2006

  3. joe mama

    Pat Guest

    I have always appreciated your camera hacker site. Lots of great
    things !!! Thanks for a info a month or 2 ago about drilling to hole
    in the Canon to fit the video pin on a tripod. Decide it not to do it.
    Too much delicate electronics down there. But I do run the hacked
    operating system on a Rebel.

    I hate neck straps and use a wrist strap. For some work, I use a
    Custom Bracket to get the flash off of the camera. I adapted the
    bracket to accept the bottom of the wrist strap so that I didn't have
    too many things on the bottom of the camera (can use the bracket and
    strap at the same time). Not really a "hack" but let me know if you
    want pictures. The bracket companies should make the brackets this
    way, IMO.

    Pat.

    Pat, Jun 21, 2006
  4. joe mama

    Chieh Cheng Guest

    Pat wrote:
    > I have always appreciated your camera hacker site. Lots of great
    > things !!! Thanks for a info a month or 2 ago about drilling to hole
    > in the Canon to fit the video pin on a tripod. Decide it not to do it.
    > Too much delicate electronics down there. But I do run the hacked
    > operating system on a Rebel.

    Thanks for the encouragement, Pat. I've always enjoyed hearing fellow
    photographer's hack ideas on how to make their gear better.

    > I hate neck straps and use a wrist strap.

    I hate neck straps as well. So I wrap it a few times around my wrist
    when I'm shooting and use it like a wrist strap.. The strap does come
    in handy when I need to carry it on my shoulder.

    > For some work, I use a
    > Custom Bracket to get the flash off of the camera. I adapted the
    > bracket to accept the bottom of the wrist strap so that I didn't have
    > too many things on the bottom of the camera (can use the bracket and
    > strap at the same time). Not really a "hack" but let me know if you
    > want pictures. The bracket companies should make the brackets this
    > way, IMO.

    I have a hard time picturing what you are talking about. I would
    appreciate pictures. Thanks.

    Chieh

    Chieh Cheng, Jun 21, 2006
  5. joe mama

    Pat Guest

    Hey, BTW, welcome to the NG. I don't think you've posted much here
    before. Nice to have you here.

    FOR EVERYONE ELSE, go look at Chieh's website www.camerahacker.com It
    is tremendous. You have to admire his creativity, technical skills,
    intellect, and fearlessness (to take something apart to see how they
    work). I've never seen any of this pictures, but if his pictures are
    half as good as his hacking, he'll blow every one of use out of the
    water. But a word of warning, some of his hacks are not for the faint
    of heart.

    Pat, Jun 22, 2006
  6. joe mama

    Guest

    > Hey, BTW, welcome to the NG. I don't think you've posted much here
    > before. Nice to have you here.

    Thanks, Pat. I use to frequent NG a lot more. But ever since I started
    manage my own web site, it's taken up a lot more time. Sometimes I'll
    drop in and see what's developing. And if I see threads that could use
    my knowledge, I'd help.

    > FOR EVERYONE ELSE, go look at Chieh's website www.camerahacker.com It
    > is tremendous. You have to admire his creativity, technical skills,
    > intellect, and fearlessness (to take something apart to see how they
    > work). I've never seen any of this pictures, but if his pictures are
    > half as good as his hacking, he'll blow every one of use out of the
    > water. But a word of warning, some of his hacks are not for the faint
    > of heart.

    Haha. thanks for you kind words. I didn't mean to hide my photographs
    from anyone. I've just been talking a lot more about my photography
    gears than my photographs.

    Here are just a few of my photographs that have gained a little bit of
    fame: http://imageg.camerahacker.com/
    The rest of my photographs are exhibited privately in my home and for
    my friends. I hope you enjoy the few I have to share.

    I don't think my photographs will blow anyone else's out of the water.
    They happen and I just happen to be at the right place at the right
    time. I remember when I first picked my first SLR camera and lens ten
    years ago. I shot a several photographs based on my intuition. The
    content seemed just "right". Those photographs would equal if not
    better than the ones I shoot today. I'm sure many of you feel the same
    way about some of your own photographs.

    Everyday I learn a little more; a little more about controlling my
    shots. I learn how to recreate and better the photographs that I shot
    based on my intuition. And I think it's a lot of fun and it makes
    photography more enjoyable.

    Chieh
    , Jun 22, 2006
  7. joe mama

    Frank ess Guest

    wrote:
    >> Hey, BTW, welcome to the NG. I don't think you've posted much here
    >> before. Nice to have you here.

    > Thanks, Pat. I use to frequent NG a lot more. But ever since I
    > started
    > manage my own web site, it's taken up a lot more time. Sometimes
    > I'll
    > drop in and see what's developing. And if I see threads that could
    > use
    > my knowledge, I'd help.
    >
    >> FOR EVERYONE ELSE, go look at Chieh's website www.camerahacker.com
    >> It is tremendous. You have to admire his creativity, technical
    >> skills, intellect, and fearlessness (to take something apart to see
    >> how they work). I've never seen any of this pictures, but if his
    >> pictures are half as good as his hacking, he'll blow every one of
    >> use out of the water. But a word of warning, some of his hacks are
    >> not for the faint of heart.

    > Haha. thanks for you kind words. I didn't mean to hide my
    > photographs
    > from anyone. I've just been talking a lot more about my photography
    > gears than my photographs.
    >
    > Here are just a few of my photographs that have gained a little bit
    > of
    > fame: http://imageg.camerahacker.com/
    > The rest of my photographs are exhibited privately in my home and
    > for
    > my friends. I hope you enjoy the few I have to share.
    >
    > I don't think my photographs will blow anyone else's out of the
    > water.
    > They happen and I just happen to be at the right place at the right
    > time. I remember when I first picked my first SLR camera and lens
    > ten
    > years ago. I shot a several photographs based on my intuition. The
    > content seemed just "right". Those photographs would equal if not
    > better than the ones I shoot today. I'm sure many of you feel the
    > same
    > way about some of your own photographs.
    >
    > Everyday I learn a little more; a little more about controlling my
    > shots. I learn how to recreate and better the photographs that I
    > shot
    > based on my intuition. And I think it's a lot of fun and it makes
    > photography more enjoyable.
    >
    > Chieh

    I too appreciate your work, both photographs and technical
    explorations. Thank you.

    A question: are there two EOS cameras: 30D and D30? I see photos of
    such a machine with each "spelling". Is there a joke among reviewers?

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Jun 22, 2006
  8. joe mama

    Guest

    > A question: are there two EOS cameras: 30D and D30? I see photos of
    > such a machine with each "spelling". Is there a joke among reviewers?

    Yes. The Canon EOS D30 is the very original "consumer", or you can
    think "inexpensive professional", DSLR camera. Prior to the D30,
    digital SLR cameras cost over $10000. The release of D30 brought the
    digital SLR's into the masses' hands.

    Canon EOS 30D is Canon's latest release of this prosumer-level camera.
    The 30D is the fifth generation in this line-up. So I suppose Canon
    came a full circle. ;-) I'm actually quite surprised that Canon decided
    to call it 30D, because it sure confuses a lot of people.

    Chieh
    , Jun 23, 2006
  9. "" <> writes:

    > > A question: are there two EOS cameras: 30D and D30? I see photos of
    > > such a machine with each "spelling". Is there a joke among reviewers?

    > Yes. The Canon EOS D30 is the very original "consumer", or you can
    > think "inexpensive professional", DSLR camera. Prior to the D30,
    > digital SLR cameras cost over $10000. The release of D30 brought the
    > digital SLR's into the masses' hands.

    Nikon D1, June 1999, list price $5,500.

    Canon EOS D30, May 2000, list price $2,900

    (So pretty clearly the D1 isn't a "consumer" level price point;
    whether the EOS D30 is remains a question for the consumers :)).

    The clear part is that your $10,000 figure is way off -- it was Nikon
    that seriously broke that barrier. (Canon has enough *real*
    achievements in this field, no need to exaggerate!)

    > Canon EOS 30D is Canon's latest release of this prosumer-level camera.
    > The 30D is the fifth generation in this line-up. So I suppose Canon
    > came a full circle. ;-) I'm actually quite surprised that Canon decided
    > to call it 30D, because it sure confuses a lot of people.

    Yes, that seems like a strange decision. They probably figure that,
    relative to today's market, nobody has ever *heard* of the D30; people
    like us are statistically insignificant.
    RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 23, 2006
  10. joe mama

    Guest

    > > Yes. The Canon EOS D30 is the very original "consumer", or you can
    > > think "inexpensive professional", DSLR camera. Prior to the D30,
    > > digital SLR cameras cost over $10000. The release of D30 brought the
    > > digital SLR's into the masses' hands.

    > Nikon D1, June 1999, list price $5,500.
    > Canon EOS D30, May 2000, list price $2,900
    > (So pretty clearly the D1 isn't a "consumer" level price point;
    > whether the EOS D30 is remains a question for the consumers :)).
    > The clear part is that your $10,000 figure is way off -- it was Nikon
    > that seriously broke that barrier. (Canon has enough *real*
    > achievements in this field, no need to exaggerate!)

    Thanks for pointing that out, David. I didn't mean to exaggerate. I was
    thinking only along the Canon DSLR line, because that's what we werer
    taking about. Plus, I don't really know much about the Nikon DSLR's
    (other than several Nikon P&S and Nikon SLR lenses, I have not owned a
    Nikon body).

    When I mentioned the $10000 figure, I was thinking about my dream
    camera the Canon EOS D2000. It costed $20000 brand new and was the
    number I wanted to quote. But I figured that by the time D30 came out,
    the price probably dropped to around $10000. The numbers are just what
    I pulled out of a hat, not meant to be accurate, precise, nor
    exaggeration . . . probably got at least four digits of error.

    > Yes, that seems like a strange decision. They probably figure that,
    > relative to today's market, nobody has ever *heard* of the D30; people
    > like us are statistically insignificant.

    I know what you mean. ;-)

    Chieh
    --
    Camera Hacker - http://www.CameraHacker.com/