Lenovo to offer Linux on laptops

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mutlley, Aug 7, 2007.

  1. Mutlley

    Mutlley Guest

    Mutlley, Aug 7, 2007

  2. In message <>, Mutlley wrote:

    > Lenovo, one of the world's biggest PC manufacturers, is to start
    > selling laptops to business and consumers with Linux pre-installed on
    > the machines.
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/technology/6933859.stm
    >
    > Bet they won't be any cheaper..

    Still, Dell has set the precedent with its USD50 price difference. Lenovo
    will look like money-grubbing scrooges if they don't answer that.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 7, 2007

  3. Mutlley

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 12:53:37 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <>, Mutlley wrote:
    >
    >> Lenovo, one of the world's biggest PC manufacturers, is to start
    >> selling laptops to business and consumers with Linux pre-installed on
    >> the machines.
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/technology/6933859.stm
    >>
    >> Bet they won't be any cheaper..

    > Still, Dell has set the precedent with its USD50 price difference.
    > Lenovo will look like money-grubbing scrooges if they don't answer that.

    Ms Penguin has just come in and is delighted at this news. Now, in a
    commerical area, Dell and Lenovo (IBM in disguise) are about to go head
    to head.

    BTW, Linux (OSS) is not free as in beer, but as in speech. My next laptop
    will have nothing or Linux installed on it. Getting rid of MS OS takes
    time and effort.

    Gordon, Aug 10, 2007