lennier

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Wally, Aug 27, 2003.

  1. Wally

    Wally Guest

    Lennier

    I would guess everyone has seen Lenniers posts to nz.comp lately, and
    I guess I just don't understand the grief that people give him.

    Lets look at his background, plus what personal details Lennier has
    shared with us all.

    1) Well he has had so many alias / handle changes its mind boggling.
    Mama Cass was a favorite of his, you can only applaud him for being so
    in touch with his feminine side.

    2) He works as a Porter in hotel down south and carries people's
    luggage for a living.

    3) But he has had 5 years experience with his own home network, doing
    the math that means Lennier had a pc when he was just 13 years old
    approx.

    Which is quite amazing really that a 13 year old has access to a
    computer running windows98 , that kid was years ahead of his time.
    That trusty old pc is now networked to a couple of computers that run
    redhat, which has a really cool application called Iptables.

    Thank-god for that win98 box , or he would have to use PAN / Knode for
    a newsreader. This is remarkable really in that a linux advocate has
    the balls to admit some windows software is superior.

    4) He doesn't work on the hotel computer system at all , but during
    the lunch break the computer admins at his hotel fill Lennier in how
    Windows is a pile of crap.
    Which is useful info to know if your going to be a Linux advocate one
    day.

    5) Lennier seems stuck in some huge time warp where everyone is still
    using the 16 bit windows 95 /98.

    The fact that 32bit versions of windows later shipped ie NT ,
    windows2000, windowsXP. Operating systems designed for the business
    sector just slipped him by, but Lennier was never one to let reality
    cloud his judgment.

    After all how could someone declare redhat 9 the superior desktop OS
    if you couldn't also pick the only version of windows that it was
    superior to, ie windows98.

    6) His anal like obsession with peoples grammar and spelling that he
    directs against people in this news group, one can only imagine his
    mother potty trained him at gun-point. No one becomes that obsessive
    - compulsive if they had a normal childhood.

    7) lennier advocates the freedom of linux but finds no issue with red
    hats 12 month OS upgrade policy.

    Since redhat make their earnings in charging people for support calls
    / support contracts / system updates, it sure beats me what redhat
    have to gain by only offering 12 mnth support for their operating
    systems for SOHO users. I just doooonnnntttttt understand it.

    Its goodnite kiwi from me zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    Wally, Aug 27, 2003

  2. "Wally" <> wrote in message
    > 7) lennier advocates the freedom of linux but finds no issue with red
    > hats 12 month OS upgrade policy.
    >
    > Since redhat make their earnings in charging people for support calls
    > / support contracts / system updates, it sure beats me what redhat
    > have to gain by only offering 12 mnth support for their operating
    > systems for SOHO users. I just doooonnnntttttt understand it.

    Is that 12 months support for the retail boxed set ?
    Or is Redhat saying that you should be at the free next version by the time
    the 12 months is up
    Whatever, its up to Redhat to do their support packages, and I note that
    they offer a large number of price options for various editions and
    enterprises from full online remote admin to phone and email support to free
    automatic updates.
    Given the large number of application packages maintained within the
    standard distribution and their dependencies on the binary packages being
    compiled for the current kernel version, +12 months is a reasonable window
    for the online update archive to operate.
    I think if you were seriously looking at the support options for Redhat
    personal edition users, you would find the reality different to your
    superficial analysis as is usual in different fruit comparisons for the
    purpose of infantile rhetoric.

    Howard Johnson, Aug 27, 2003

  3. Wally

    Andrew Guest

    ? - whats the point in this post...

    Andrew, Aug 27, 2003
  4. Wally

    steve Guest

    Advantages of Red Hat Linux Support over Windows Support

    Wally wrote:
    > Lennier
    >

    > I would guess everyone has seen Lenniers posts to nz.comp lately, and
    > I guess I just don't understand the grief that people give him.

    Peronsal attacks deleted for brevilty andlack of relevance.....

    > 7) lennier advocates the freedom of linux but finds no issue with red
    > hats 12 month OS upgrade policy.

    Red Hat is just one of many Linux distros. Even then, their US$60 / year
    (optional) support charge is cheap compared to Windows.

    > Since redhat make their earnings in charging people for support calls
    > / support contracts / system updates, it sure beats me what redhat
    > have to gain by only offering 12 mnth support for their operating
    > systems for SOHO users. I just doooonnnntttttt understand it.

    It's easy realy.

    1. Pay Microsoft $300 per PC for upgrades to latest OS version - tied
    via Acitivation to one PC - and get no support. The product updates are
    ALL tied to acceptance of whatever Microsoft dictates in their EULA.
    Microsoft determines the Digitla Rights Management regime and you either
    accept it, or you orphan your operating system forever.

    or

    2. Get Red Hat for free for all your PCs...and pay US$60 / annum for
    support. This give you one entitlement....and you can re-allocate that
    entitlement as you see fit. Update softwre comes with no legal strings
    attached and can be obtained from a variety of sources. There is no
    potentially coercive EULA and there is no dictated (or otherwise) DRM.

    Linux is the obvious answer for a home user with more than one PC....and
    for anyone who doesn't want the vendor dictating / restricting what
    they can do with their computers.

    ....and remember that red hat is just one distro. There are many others.

    steve, Aug 27, 2003
  5. Wally

    steve Guest

    Howard Johnson wrote:
    > "Wally" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>7) lennier advocates the freedom of linux but finds no issue with red
    >>hats 12 month OS upgrade policy.
    >>
    >>Since redhat make their earnings in charging people for support calls
    >>/ support contracts / system updates, it sure beats me what redhat
    >>have to gain by only offering 12 mnth support for their operating
    >>systems for SOHO users. I just doooonnnntttttt understand it.

    > Is that 12 months support for the retail boxed set ?

    They are phasing out retail box sets. It looks like they are moving to a
    model where anyone can make and sell their Cds provided they stick to
    certain rules regarding trademarks. This is a good thing. Supply is
    kept closer to the market - and there is less waste and the supply side
    is more responsive.

    > Or is Redhat saying that you should be at the free next version by the time
    > the 12 months is up

    It doesn't matter because this is Linux we're talking about ....and
    anyone can create and / or apply an update RPM. They don't need to come
    from Red Hat.

    Red Hat don't own Linux.

    > Whatever, its up to Redhat to do their support packages, and I note that
    > they offer a large number of price options for various editions and
    > enterprises from full online remote admin to phone and email support to free
    > automatic updates.

    Yep.....

    > Given the large number of application packages maintained within the
    > standard distribution and their dependencies on the binary packages being
    > compiled for the current kernel version, +12 months is a reasonable window
    > for the online update archive to operate.

    This isn't an accurate representation anyway.

    Linux is an organic thing - existing outside "red hat" or "SuSE" or
    "Debian".

    The cdda2wav source - just to pick one - is probably maintained by the
    cdda2wav author/team irrespective of which distributions include
    cdda2wav as a program.

    Red Hat's installs/upgrades can cope with anything from RH 5.1 on
    up...or they did last time I looked. This is becasue of the RPM (redhat
    package management) setup.

    > I think if you were seriously looking at the support options for Redhat
    > personal edition users, you would find the reality different to your
    > superficial analysis as is usual in different fruit comparisons for the
    > purpose of infantile rhetoric.

    Agreed.

    steve, Aug 27, 2003
  6. Wally

    David Keane Guest

    Just to correct, the last 16 bit Windows was Windows 3.11.
    Win 95 and after were all 32 bit Windows.

    David Keane, Aug 28, 2003
  7. Wally

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:44:32 +1200, David Keane wrote:

    > Just to correct, the last 16 bit Windows was Windows 3.11. Win 95 and
    > after were all 32 bit Windows.
    >
    > Wally wrote:

    [snip]

    Just to correct further ... despite Win 95 switching to 80386
    protected mode after the real-mode (8-bit) boot phase, much
    of its core code is/was still 16-bit.
    Microsoft freely admitted it, their reason being that for
    the computers of the day (ie. 386 & 486) the 16-bit code
    was more compact and ran faster. In fact, it was required
    knowledge for the official Win 95 certification exam.

    If you would like, do some research on "thunking" where the
    32-bit API calls are translated to 16-bit API calls.

    Windows XP is (IMHO) the first fully "32-bit" O/S that MS
    released to the "home" market.

    --
    Murray

    Murray Symon, Aug 28, 2003
  8. Wally

    reetix Guest

    > Windows XP is (IMHO) the first fully "32-bit" O/S that MS
    > released to the "home" market.

    I can't see any 16 bit tasks/services running on NT 4? Does it have any?

    reetix, Aug 28, 2003
  9. Wally

    T.N.O. Guest

    "reetix" wrote
    > > Windows XP is (IMHO) the first fully "32-bit" O/S that MS
    > > released to the "home" market.

    > I can't see any 16 bit tasks/services running on NT 4? Does it have any?

    NT was always offered as a business OS, not a home OS.

    T.N.O., Aug 28, 2003
  10. Wally

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Howard Johnson" wrote
    > Never did get an answer from any of you self proclaimed Windows gurus

    about
    > turning off the tooltips
    > None of you were honest enough to admit that you didn't know and that it
    > just can't be done.

    Im honest enough, just didnt see the point in replying to say I dont know
    how... seemed a tad silly.
    I know it can be done, have done it before.

    T.N.O., Aug 29, 2003
  11. Wally

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <u5d3b.129403$>,
    says...
    > Just to correct, the last 16 bit Windows was Windows 3.11.
    > Win 95 and after were all 32 bit Windows.

    No. Win 95 98 and ME were hybrid 16/32 bit versions of Windows.

    True 32 bit was Windows NT, 2000 and now XP.

    Mainlander, Aug 29, 2003
  12. Wally

    bt Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:05:37 +1200, "Andrew" <>
    wrote:

    >? - whats the point in this post...

    Isn't one. Pure trolling.

    Brendan (Avatar)

    --
    ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

    Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

    Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
    My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.

    bt, Aug 29, 2003
  13. Wally

    Wally Guest

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:56:20 +1200, "Howard Johnson" <>
    wrote:

    >"Wally" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I was just taking the piss out of lennier his ego needs a good
    >> leveling, and as Nathan pointed recently your windows knowledge is
    >> somewhat lacking.

    >Never did get an answer from any of you self proclaimed Windows gurus about
    >turning off the tooltips

    People answered you ... you just didnt listen.

    >None of you were honest enough to admit that you didn't know and that it
    >just can't be done.

    Your like a cat with a ball of string ..............

    >Notice that non e of my post was about lennier despite your stupid childish
    >woger like personal attack

    your posts being about lennier what are you babbling about.

    >Redhat ? so what

    because redhat sure killed the linux is fredoom speech that withers
    used to preach in here, now that redhat lock you into a 12 month
    upgrade cycle the linux advocates seem to have gone deaf and dumb.

    >you ? lame abusive loser

    Ive read numerous posts from the linux advocates on how stupid,
    hedgehog like the windows users are, I believe doing this just sets up
    the linux advocates for a bit of their own medicine, but that's just
    me.

    Afterall I was just being honest about Lenniers computer background,
    maybe it hit close to home with some of the other linux advocates in
    here, I don't really care.

    Wally....

    Wally, Aug 31, 2003
  14. Wally

    Wally Guest

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 08:38:21 +1200, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 20:48:28 +1200, Wally <> wrote:
    >
    >>Afterall I was just being honest about Lenniers computer background,
    >>maybe it hit close to home with some of the other linux advocates in
    >>here, I don't really care.

    >Consider the controversy about posting the spammers personal details
    >here.Would you like to have your personal background revealed here.
    >Perhaps you can post the dirt on yourself if you think it's allright.
    >Think carefully before you reply :)

    No one held lennier up at gun-point and forced lennier to disclose his
    occupation or age to this ng. Lennier gave away that info on his own
    free will.

    Wally, Sep 1, 2003
  15. Wally

    Wally Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Just to correct, the last 16 bit Windows was Windows 3.11.
    >Win 95 and after were all 32 bit Windows.

    Not even close there David.

    IBM did the same with OS2 , marketed the product as a 32 bit OS but
    version 2.1 which I bought ,contained huge amounts of 16 bit code.

    Wally, Sep 1, 2003
  16. Wally

    Lennier Guest

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 16:42:31 +1200, Wally wrote:

    >>Consider the controversy about posting the spammers personal details
    >>here.Would you like to have your personal background revealed here.
    >>Perhaps you can post the dirt on yourself if you think it's allright.
    >>Think carefully before you reply :)

    > No one held lennier up at gun-point and forced lennier to disclose his
    > occupation or age to this ng. Lennier gave away that info on his own free
    > will.

    At no time have I indicated my age on this NG. Your assessment of that is
    pure guesswork - and incorrect!

    And yes - I AM presently working as a Porter - that much has been freely
    stated. I have been working for the same hotel for over two and a half
    years - a very long time indeed in the Hospo industry. I see nothing wrong
    with me stating facts about how I earn money.

    For me, computers are my hobby - a very enjoyable hobby.

    I have never at any time even slightly hinted that I was employed in the
    IT industry.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Sep 1, 2003
  17. "Howard Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > > I was just taking the piss out of lennier his ego needs a good
    > > leveling, and as Nathan pointed recently your windows knowledge is
    > > somewhat lacking.

    > Never did get an answer from any of you self proclaimed Windows gurus

    about
    > turning off the tooltips
    > None of you were honest enough to admit that you didn't know and that it
    > just can't be done.

    Dunno who you are calling a guru, but someone else here replied with the
    info previously already
    ..
    Its a registry change, so the best way to do it is by downloading the
    TweakUI Powertoy from

    specifically
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
    (search on www.microsoft.com/downloads for powertoys)

    then start, run, tweakui
    goto Taskmanager and Start Menu then follow your nose

    Peace, out

    Nathan Mercer, Sep 1, 2003
  18. Wally

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 02:04:09 +1200, Wally <> wrote:

    >Lennier
    >

    >I would guess everyone has seen Lenniers posts to nz.comp lately, and
    >I guess I just don't understand the grief that people give him.
    >

    >Lets look at his background, plus what personal details Lennier has
    >shared with us all.
    >

    >1) Well he has had so many alias / handle changes its mind boggling.
    >Mama Cass was a favorite of his, you can only applaud him for being so
    >in touch with his feminine side.
    >
    >2) He works as a Porter in hotel down south and carries people's
    >luggage for a living.
    >

    >3) But he has had 5 years experience with his own home network, doing
    >the math that means Lennier had a pc when he was just 13 years old
    >approx.
    >
    > Which is quite amazing really that a 13 year old has access to a
    >computer running windows98 , that kid was years ahead of his time.
    >That trusty old pc is now networked to a couple of computers that run
    >redhat, which has a really cool application called Iptables.
    >
    >Thank-god for that win98 box , or he would have to use PAN / Knode for
    >a newsreader. This is remarkable really in that a linux advocate has
    >the balls to admit some windows software is superior.
    >

    >4) He doesn't work on the hotel computer system at all , but during
    >the lunch break the computer admins at his hotel fill Lennier in how
    >Windows is a pile of crap.
    >Which is useful info to know if your going to be a Linux advocate one
    >day.
    >
    >5) Lennier seems stuck in some huge time warp where everyone is still
    >using the 16 bit windows 95 /98.
    >
    > The fact that 32bit versions of windows later shipped ie NT ,
    >windows2000, windowsXP. Operating systems designed for the business
    >sector just slipped him by, but Lennier was never one to let reality
    >cloud his judgment.
    >
    >After all how could someone declare redhat 9 the superior desktop OS
    >if you couldn't also pick the only version of windows that it was
    >superior to, ie windows98.
    >
    >6) His anal like obsession with peoples grammar and spelling that he
    >directs against people in this news group, one can only imagine his
    >mother potty trained him at gun-point. No one becomes that obsessive
    >- compulsive if they had a normal childhood.
    >

    >7) lennier advocates the freedom of linux but finds no issue with red
    >hats 12 month OS upgrade policy.
    >
    >Since redhat make their earnings in charging people for support calls
    >/ support contracts / system updates, it sure beats me what redhat
    >have to gain by only offering 12 mnth support for their operating
    >systems for SOHO users. I just doooonnnntttttt understand it.
    >
    >Its goodnite kiwi from me zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    I have to admit to getting irritated with some of his uninformed
    comments & criticisms, but posts like this aren't warranted. Let's
    keep the personal stuff out of it huh....

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, Sep 3, 2003