    compatibility). Made in China, and interestingly comes with completely 100%-
    Free-Software drivers, even including the BIOS. Price: EUR400.

    <http://www.osnews.com/story/21530/The_Loongson-2_MIPS_Lemote_Yeeloong_Netbook>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 24, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    greg Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Another non-x86-based netbook, though using a 64-bit MIPS rather than an ARM
    > chip (isn't choice wonderful when you're not chained by binary
    > compatibility). Made in China, and interestingly comes with completely 100%-
    > Free-Software drivers, even including the BIOS. Price: EUR400.
    >
    > <http://www.osnews.com/story/21530/The_Loongson-2_MIPS_Lemote_Yeeloong_Netbook>

    Yawn.............no one give a toss about anything you post about
    anymore flamer......yawn

    greg, May 24, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    > Another non-x86-based netbook, though using a 64-bit MIPS rather than an
    > ARM
    > chip (isn't choice wonderful when you're not chained by binary
    > compatibility). Made in China, and interestingly comes with completely
    > 100%-
    > Free-Software drivers, even including the BIOS. Price: EUR400.
    >
    > <http://www.osnews.com/story/21530/The_Loongson-2_MIPS_Lemote_Yeeloong_Netbook>

    LOL! Another Larry D"Loser special. Does he not understand the expression
    "damning with faint praise" ?.

    Keyboard is "quite decent".

    Build quality is "good for this type of laptop".

    Made of " decent, non-shiny plastic".

    Speakers "can produce quite a bit of noise".

    "Oh, and it has a webcam, which sadly I didn't get to work yet after having
    upgraded to stock Debian "

    #1 reason to select Loongson brand; "...the Chinese government wants to be
    free from the mighty arm of powerful American corporations like Intel"

    "OK, you put all that in a neat little package and what do you get? A system
    that will run, for now, a limited number of GNU/Linux distributions or BSD
    operating systems."

    Then the usual Linux "configuration" dance: "When I first booted the machine
    it took extremely long to boot - at least three and a half minutes. The boot
    splash screen doesn't give any information by default, so I next booted the
    machine from the startup system command line with "gui" (I really like to
    have a shortcut to be able to see boot messages, but couldn't find one). It
    then turned out that the system is taking its time for "dhcpdiscover"
    attempts for wlan0. I managed to get rid of this behaviour by commenting the
    lines iface wlan0 inet dhcp and auto wlan0 in the file
    /etc/network/interfaces, reducing the startup time to about a minute, which
    is neat. NetworkManager now takes care of the wireless network nicely."

    Wow! I want one! Can't live wthout it!

    impossible, May 24, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Guest

    On May 24, 4:29 pm, greg <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > > Another non-x86-based netbook, though using a 64-bit MIPS rather than an ARM
    > > chip (isn't choice wonderful when you're not chained by binary
    > > compatibility). Made in China, and interestingly comes with completely 100%-
    > > Free-Software drivers, even including the BIOS. Price: EUR400.

    > > <http://www.osnews.com/story/21530/The_Loongson-2_MIPS_Lemote_Yeeloong....>

    > Yawn.............no one give a toss about anything you post about
    > anymore flamer......yawn

    Except for you, who were exercised enough to post a reply. Sleep
    well.

    , May 24, 2009
  5. In message <gvaevd$obq$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Another non-x86-based netbook ...

    And yet another <http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=4601>, using
    Qualcomm's Snapdragon platform, which appears to be an ARM derivative.

    Qualcomm's blurbs talk about "smartbooks", which I think means including
    smartphone-type functions.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 2, 2009
  6. In message <h02j22$t3u$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Qualcomm's blurbs talk about “smartbooksâ€, which I think means including
    > smartphone-type functions.

    Vendors are trying to use the term
    <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9133782>
    to differentiate themselves from the x86 and Windows connotations that seem
    to have attached to the term “netbookâ€.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 2, 2009
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On May 24, 3:29 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Another non-x86-based netbook, though using a 64-bit MIPS rather than an ARM
    > chip (isn't choice wonderful when you're not chained by binary
    > compatibility). Made in China, and interestingly comes with completely 100%-
    > Free-Software drivers, even including the BIOS. Price: EUR400.
    >
    > <http://www.osnews.com/story/21530/The_Loongson-2_MIPS_Lemote_Yeeloong...>

    FOUR HUNDRED EURO???

    Jeez, not only is it crappy, it's horrendously over-priced to boot!

    JohnO, Jun 2, 2009