Leica's biggest disaster ever (apart from the magenta-hued M8 images)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Mar 18, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Mar 18, 2011

  2. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 18, 9:52 pm, Paul Furman <> wrote:
    > RichA wrote:
    > > The Leicasonic macro lens.

    > How do you figure it as a macro lens?
    >
    > > I've used it and must say it is the most
    > > disappointing $1000 lens I've ever tried.  Now it gets its ass kicked
    > > by an Olympus zoom.

    > >http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=37995217

    No, you're right, my mistake, it's not a macro lens. The macro lens
    is the 45mm f2.8. Which makes two bad Leica lenses that have come
    from the Leica-Panasonic collaboration. What is the problem? Can't
    be cost restrictions because both lenses are expensive and (for
    example) Nikon's 60mm macro which is about 1/2 the price and made for
    APS is FAR superior. Meanwhile, all the Zeiss lenses that have been
    made for Sony have been very good. Looks like the Leica-Panasonic
    team for micro 4/3rds needs some work. Leica's previous lenses for
    the 4/3rds system were both very good, the 14-50mm f2.8-3.5 is one of
    the best zooms in its class.
    RichA, Mar 19, 2011

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 19, 4:07 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:

    > >> How do you figure it as a macro lens?

    > >No, you're right, my mistake, it's not a macro lens.  The macro lens
    > >is the 45mm f2.8.  Which makes two bad Leica lenses that have come
    > >from the Leica-Panasonic collaboration.

    > At the risk of repeating myself (again), there is no "Leica-Panasonic
    > collaboration".  There is no Leica input into the design of the lenses
    > made by Panasonic in Japan that bear the Leica branding.
    >
    > The branding is just a marketing tool that helps Panasonic charge more
    > for some lenses that are optically slightly better than others that
    > Panasonic makes.  In return for the Leica branding, Leica Camera AG
    > gets a fat fee from Panasonic for the use of the Leica brand name.
    >
    > The comparison posted to DPReview is very unscientific and cannot be
    > taken as authoritative in any way.
    >
    > It is exactly the sort of test Rich loves.  ;-)

    You can't possible think that the Leica will ever, in any way match
    that Olympus zoom? You sound just like the Leica drum-beaters on that
    forum. The problem with Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc., users is that they
    are so used to rotten edge definition (someone told me Nikon's old
    18-70mm zoom was a good one, and Olympus' s cheap 14-42mm wasted it,
    on a 4/3rds camera body!!) that they can't believe a lens costing less
    than $1500 can deliver good edge to edge definition.
    RichA, Mar 20, 2011
  4. RichA

    Rich Guest

    On Mar 20, 5:20 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:

    > >> At the risk of repeating myself (again), there is no "Leica-Panasonic
    > >> collaboration". There is no Leica input into the design of the lenses
    > >> made by Panasonic in Japan that bear the Leica branding.

    > >> The branding is just a marketing tool that helps Panasonic charge more
    > >> for some lenses that are optically slightly better than others that
    > >> Panasonic makes. In return for the Leica branding, Leica Camera AG
    > >> gets a fat fee from Panasonic for the use of the Leica brand name.

    > >> The comparison posted to DPReview is very unscientific and cannot be
    > >> taken as authoritative in any way.

    > >> It is exactly the sort of test Rich loves. ;-)

    > >You can't possible think that the Leica will ever, in any way match
    > >that Olympus zoom?  You sound just like the Leica drum-beaters on that
    > >forum.  The problem with Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc., users is that they
    > >are so used to rotten edge definition (someone told me Nikon's old
    > >18-70mm zoom was a good one, and Olympus' s cheap 14-42mm wasted it,
    > >on a 4/3rds camera body!!) that they can't believe a lens costing less
    > >than $1500 can deliver good edge to edge definition.

    > Quit ranting for a moment, if you can, and look at the so-called
    > "comparison" again.  The "Leica" lens is not focused at the correct
    > distance.  The Zuiko lens is perfectly focused.
    >
    > So the "comparison" is incompetent or rigged.  I'm not a conspiracy
    > theorist so let's assume the former.
    >
    > When you find another comparison where the lenses are both focused at
    > the correct distance, do let us know.

    Do let us know? Prissy is thy name.
    Rich, Mar 21, 2011