    anybody shot either cameras?

    Thanks so much,

    Danepipesmoker

    Danepipesmoker, Apr 11, 2007

  2. On 11 Apr 2007 14:43:03 -0700, Danepipesmoker <> wrote:
    > Does anybody know the real difference as far as advantages and
    > disadvantages go between the Leica D-Lux 3 and the V-Lux 1? Has
    > anybody shot either cameras?

    Those are just reskinned Panasonic cameras, based on the LX-2 and FZ-50
    respectively. It'll be easier to find reviews of those two models.

    They're also noticeably cheaper than the Leicas, so unless you _really_
    want that Leica name, go with the Panasonics. The guts, including the
    lenses, are the same.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Apr 12, 2007

  3. Danepipesmoker

    Rich Guest

    On Apr 11, 5:43 pm, "Danepipesmoker" <> wrote:
    > Does anybody know the real difference as far as advantages and
    > disadvantages go between the Leica D-Lux 3 and the V-Lux 1? Has
    > anybody shot either cameras?
    >
    > Thanks so much,
    >
    > Danepipesmoker

    Hmmm. They are both overpriced Panasonic ripoffs that this camera
    will blow away?

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf31fd/

    Rich, Apr 12, 2007
  4. Danepipesmoker

    Guest

    On Apr 11, 7:01 pm, Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:
    > On 11 Apr 2007 14:43:03 -0700, Danepipesmoker <> wrote:
    >
    > > Does anybody know the real difference as far as advantages and
    > > disadvantages go between the Leica D-Lux 3 and the V-Lux 1? Has
    > > anybody shot either cameras?

    > Those are just reskinned Panasonic cameras, based on the LX-2 and FZ-50
    > respectively. It'll be easier to find reviews of those two models.
    >
    > They're also noticeably cheaper than the Leicas, so unless you _really_
    > want that Leica name, go with the Panasonics. The guts, including the
    > lenses, are the same.
    >
    > -dms

    But is the software and noise control ?

    , Apr 12, 2007
  5. Danepipesmoker

    cgiorgio Guest

    "Rich" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > On Apr 11, 5:43 pm, "Danepipesmoker" <> wrote:
    >> Does anybody know the real difference as far as advantages and
    >> disadvantages go between the Leica D-Lux 3 and the V-Lux 1? Has
    >> anybody shot either cameras?
    >>
    >> Thanks so much,
    >>
    >> Danepipesmoker

    > Hmmm. They are both overpriced Panasonic ripoffs that this camera
    > will blow away?
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf31fd/

    Most certainly not. Leica lenses are a different class. The firmware in the
    Leica models differs from that in the Panasonic models, in camera processing
    (for obtaining JPEG - files) is possibly improved. However there is no
    difference in RAW files obtained with Leica or equivalent Panasonic models.
    The higher price for the Leica branded models might partially go into better
    after sales service.

    cgiorgio, Apr 12, 2007
  6. Danepipesmoker

    J. Clarke Guest

    cgiorgio wrote:
    > "Rich" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> On Apr 11, 5:43 pm, "Danepipesmoker" <> wrote:
    >>> Does anybody know the real difference as far as advantages and
    >>> disadvantages go between the Leica D-Lux 3 and the V-Lux 1? Has
    >>> anybody shot either cameras?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks so much,
    >>>
    >>> Danepipesmoker

    >> Hmmm. They are both overpriced Panasonic ripoffs that this camera
    >> will blow away?
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf31fd/
    >>

    > Most certainly not. Leica lenses are a different class. The firmware
    > in the Leica models differs from that in the Panasonic models, in
    > camera processing (for obtaining JPEG - files) is possibly improved.
    > However there is no difference in RAW files obtained with Leica or
    > equivalent Panasonic models. The higher price for the Leica branded
    > models might partially go into better after sales service.

    One thing I saw on the Leica site is that they seem to be including what
    amounts to 6 month all risk (except theft) insurance--they give the
    impression that if you smash the thing with a rock they'll replace it.
    Not sure if that's worth the price difference though.

    In answer to the OPs question though, the bottom line is that the D-LUX
    3 is more compact and less versatile than the V-LUX 1.

    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    J. Clarke, Apr 12, 2007
  7. Danepipesmoker

    pltrgyst Guest

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 04:49:05 -0400, "J. Clarke" <> wrote:

    >One thing I saw on the Leica site is that they seem to be including what
    >amounts to 6 month all risk (except theft) insurance--they give the
    >impression that if you smash the thing with a rock they'll replace it.
    >Not sure if that's worth the price difference though.
    >
    >In answer to the OPs question though, the bottom line is that the D-LUX
    >3 is more compact and less versatile than the V-LUX 1.

    I picked one up last weekend, and that is the coverage they explained to me.

    It's a pretty darned nice camera -- gave my wife back her Casio Z600. Had it out
    on my bro-in-law's boat, and the OIS worked beautifully.

    -- Larry

    pltrgyst, May 9, 2007