    plugged in to atleast resolve cable/port issues?

    thanks in advance folks
    Budweiser

    Budweiser, Feb 19, 2006

  2. Budweiser

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:e7PJf.31808$,
    Budweiser spewed forth:
    > Anyone out there use this kit?
    > Fantastic stuff--just been provided with the mutts nuts version the
    > TCRP1205 (robotic) with the rx1200 controller.
    > Superb pice of kit to use etc etc
    > How do you get the pc to read from the rs232 port?
    > I have loaded the geo office software and can get data from the memory
    > card only if i load it into my multiple card reader--refuses to see
    > the cable interface--must be a setting on the insrument somwhere or a
    > config in geo office.
    > I am using XP --is there a way to test to see if the serial port is
    > active and recieving some kind of signal or recognition of something
    > plugged in to atleast resolve cable/port issues?
    >
    > thanks in advance folks
    > Budweiser

    Well, to test the PC hardware, you can get a loopback plug and diagnostics
    software. Or plug a different (known working) piece of hardware such as a
    modem or serial printer and test the hardware with that. Once you know the
    PC hardware is okay, you can start messing around with software.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 19, 2006

  3. Budweiser

    Budweiser Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:e7PJf.31808$,
    > Budweiser spewed forth:
    >> Anyone out there use this kit?
    >> Fantastic stuff--just been provided with the mutts nuts version the
    >> TCRP1205 (robotic) with the rx1200 controller.
    >> Superb pice of kit to use etc etc
    >> How do you get the pc to read from the rs232 port?
    >> I have loaded the geo office software and can get data from the
    >> memory
    >> card only if i load it into my multiple card reader--refuses to see
    >> the cable interface--must be a setting on the insrument somwhere or a
    >> config in geo office.
    >> I am using XP --is there a way to test to see if the serial port is
    >> active and recieving some kind of signal or recognition of something
    >> plugged in to atleast resolve cable/port issues?
    >>
    >> thanks in advance folks
    >> Budweiser

    > Well, to test the PC hardware, you can get a loopback plug and
    > diagnostics software. Or plug a different (known working) piece of
    > hardware such as a modem or serial printer and test the hardware with
    > that. Once you know the PC hardware is okay, you can start messing
    > around with software.
    >
    > --
    > If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

    Port works on the pc--found an old mouse festering in the
    cupboard--worked fine--well it worked.
    So on that assumption the serial port is functional,which leaves the
    cable /the port on the instrument or the software at fault.
    Is there a way to directly address the serial port under XP to see if
    the instrument is trying to talk to the pc or vice versa?
    To resolve a software problem is a minefield ,as the leica software for
    the instrunent (the way i have it setup) is embedded with AutoCad, any
    changes would , or could ,disrupt other survey data colection.------That
    would be bad---bad as a bad thing on one of satans own bad spawn,on a
    really bad day.I maried a Canadian,i have suffered enough.
    I think the best bet is to aquire a all in one memory card reader short
    term,and then get the rep out to resolve the issues with the
    rs232/serial interface.

    I always thought technology was around to enhance our lives, not to send
    us to the quack for more valium.

    Budweiser, Feb 19, 2006
  4. Budweiser

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:hkQJf.49300$,
    Budweiser spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:e7PJf.31808$,
    >> Budweiser spewed forth:
    >>> Anyone out there use this kit?
    >>> Fantastic stuff--just been provided with the mutts nuts version the
    >>> TCRP1205 (robotic) with the rx1200 controller.
    >>> Superb pice of kit to use etc etc
    >>> How do you get the pc to read from the rs232 port?
    >>> I have loaded the geo office software and can get data from the
    >>> memory
    >>> card only if i load it into my multiple card reader--refuses to see
    >>> the cable interface--must be a setting on the insrument somwhere or
    >>> a config in geo office.
    >>> I am using XP --is there a way to test to see if the serial port is
    >>> active and recieving some kind of signal or recognition of something
    >>> plugged in to atleast resolve cable/port issues?
    >>>
    >>> thanks in advance folks
    >>> Budweiser

    >> Well, to test the PC hardware, you can get a loopback plug and
    >> diagnostics software. Or plug a different (known working) piece of
    >> hardware such as a modem or serial printer and test the hardware with
    >> that. Once you know the PC hardware is okay, you can start messing
    >> around with software.
    >>

    > Port works on the pc--found an old mouse festering in the
    > cupboard--worked fine--well it worked.

    Sounds good to me - although it's not a perfect test, at least you know the
    basic functions work.

    > So on that assumption the serial port is functional,which leaves the
    > cable /the port on the instrument or the software at fault.
    > Is there a way to directly address the serial port under XP to see if
    > the instrument is trying to talk to the pc or vice versa?
    > To resolve a software problem is a minefield ,as the leica software
    > for the instrunent (the way i have it setup) is embedded with
    > AutoCad, any changes would , or could ,disrupt other survey data
    > colection.------That would be bad---bad as a bad thing on one of
    > satans own bad spawn,on a really bad day.I maried a Canadian,i have
    > suffered enough. I think the best bet is to aquire a all in one memory
    > card reader
    > short term,and then get the rep out to resolve the issues with the
    > rs232/serial interface.
    >
    > I always thought technology was around to enhance our lives, not to
    > send us to the quack for more valium.

    Heh - technology is hell when it doesn't work.

    Just because the mouse is working, doesn't mean the port is configured
    correctly for the software. Go into device manager and see what the
    resources are of the COM port. COM1 should be port 3F8, IRQ 4 and COM2
    should be port 3E8, IRQ3. If they aren't, you may need to change them - that
    is usually done in the BIOS with the CMOS setup program.

    And of course, the software itself must be set to use the correct port as
    well. Along those lines, if the software wasn't written for XP, it may be
    quite difficult to get to work. Windows manages the COM ports, and often
    interferes with some programs use of them.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 19, 2006
  5. Budweiser

    Senti Guest

    Budweiser wrote:
    > Anyone out there use this kit?
    > Fantastic stuff--just been provided with the mutts nuts version the
    > TCRP1205 (robotic) with the rx1200 controller.
    > Superb pice of kit to use etc etc
    > How do you get the pc to read from the rs232 port?
    > I have loaded the geo office software and can get data from the memory
    > card only if i load it into my multiple card reader--refuses to see the
    > cable interface--must be a setting on the insrument somwhere or a config
    > in geo office.
    > I am using XP --is there a way to test to see if the serial port is
    > active and recieving some kind of signal or recognition of something
    > plugged in to atleast resolve cable/port issues?

    You could try asking at alt.survey. Chances are you'd find more people
    familiar with the onboard software and they may know if it's a simple
    config issue. Or they may be able to point you to a better group.

    ~S

    Senti, Feb 19, 2006