Leica M8

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steven, Nov 7, 2006.

  1. Steven

    Steven Guest

    Steven, Nov 7, 2006

  2. Steven

    frederick Guest

    frederick, Nov 7, 2006

  3. Dennis Pogson, Nov 7, 2006
  4. Steven

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Dennis Pogson" <> writes:
    > > Why would anyone pay that much for that camera ?

    > Leica is a religion, not a camera. I can think of many worse ways of
    > using disposable income.

    I've always had a foolish desire to own either an M3DS or an M6 or M7
    someday. Sort of like an old British sports car. But an M8? Forget it.
    Paul Rubin, Nov 7, 2006
  5. Steven wrote:
    > Read this (price at bottom)
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/leicam8/
    >
    > Then go see the pictures people are actually taking with that camera.
    >
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1038
    >
    > Why would anyone pay that much for that camera ?

    If you read the review, it costs about as much as a Canon 50D -but has
    slightly lower performance. The M-system range finder is a different
    system than an SLR. There is no reflex lens because of which the body
    is much smaller. It works better for travel
    photography/photo-journalism etc -but not so well for macro shots.
    Why does it cost so much? For about the same reason that it costs more
    to buy an SLR body without lens than to buy a P&S camera. There are
    about 3 range finder manufacturers and all of them price their analog
    range finders more than your avg D-SLR. It might be a religion to buy a
    Leica, but the reviews I read indicate there is quality to the
    product(s).
    A Leica DSLR (D-system) would be Digilux3. It costs US $2500 with a
    lens -which is more than an avg DSLR, but then leica lenses are
    expensive (for whatever reasons which I wouldn't dispute or confirm).
    If you want a Leica cheaper than that, there is a V-Lux1 which provides
    35-450mm f/2.8-4.5 lens and can do a lot of what DSLRs do for $849. If
    you want one even cheaper than that -there is DLux3 for <$500 and a
    C-Lux1 for less than that. One can buy equivalents of all Leica
    products (other than range finders) from Panasonic at competitive
    prices too. The chip used by their products is from Panasonic and only
    the lens is a Leica one.

    regards
    -kamal
    Kamal R. Prasad, Nov 7, 2006
  6. Steven

    tomm42 Guest

    On Nov 7, 3:42 am, "Dennis Pogson" <>
    wrote:
    > Steven wrote:
    > > Read this (price at bottom)

    > >http://www.dpreview.com/articles/leicam8/

    > > Then go see the pictures people are actually taking with that camera.

    > >http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1038

    > > Why would anyone pay that much for that camera ?Leica is a religion, not a camera. I can think of many worse ways of using

    > disposable income.

    Not a religion but an obsession. After using M's for 30 years, I can
    say it is the one camera that fits right in my hand and I can get good
    pics right out of the box, well I hope better than those you linked to.
    Can I afford an M8? Not with 2 kids in college. For the wide to 135mm
    range an M Leica is the best machine ever made. Let us see how the
    digital fares.

    Tom
    tomm42, Nov 7, 2006
  7. Steven

    bmoag Guest

    Despite their financial woes Leicas are still pecision instruments that fit
    a specific niche better than any other.
    If I could justify the cost of upgrading my little used M3 I would have long
    ago. I run a few rolls through it every now and then and thing still works
    (it is almost as old as I am!). Still I count my Leica and its lenses as
    prized posessions.
    Worldwide I suspect that the size of the Leica niche is a smaller percentage
    of photographers than in the pre autofocus/pre digital age. Nevertheless the
    total numbers of photographers still willing and able to buy Leicas is
    seeming to keep the company afloat (that and probably a large cash infusion
    from Matsushita).
    Apple still sells millions of computers, can afford to advertise on American
    television, and yet the percentage of Apple users worldwide remains around
    %5, too low to interest most virus writers (and commercial program writers
    too but that is another issue--I got an email ad from Apple touting it for
    use in the medical field. I assure you there is not one single imaging or
    medical business software package that is written for Apple that has
    anything other than a niche market).
    bmoag, Nov 7, 2006
  8. Steven

    jeremy Guest

    "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    > Despite their financial woes Leicas are still pecision instruments that
    > fit a specific niche better than any other.

    You may be gratified by the feel of the precision equipment (just as I am
    about working with my classic Pentax M42 stuff) but that in itself is no
    guarantee that the images will turn out better.

    Much as I find plastic-barreled lenses distasteful, they can produce
    excellent images. Take away the equipment, and display the photos alone,
    and there are few people that can tell which camera made which image.
    Sometimes we fret over brand too much.
    jeremy, Nov 7, 2006
  9. Steven

    Bill Crocker Guest

    "Steven" <> wrote in message

    > Read this (price at bottom)
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/leicam8/
    >
    > Then go see the pictures people are actually taking with that camera.
    >
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1038
    >
    > Why would anyone pay that much for that camera ?

    I've said it before...Leica is the "Gray Poupon" of the camera world. Some
    people believe spending more, is buying more. To a point this can be true,
    but Leica is an extreme! As the old saying goes, "A fool and his money are
    soon parted!"

    Bill Crocker
    Bill Crocker, Nov 7, 2006