Leica M8

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cjcampbell, Sep 15, 2006.

  1. cjcampbell

    cjcampbell Guest

    Announced today, pre-Photokina, along with two new M system lenses
    (along with the bogus claim that these are special 'digital' lenses,
    but what the heck). So much for RichA's assertion that Photokina this
    year is a 'disappointment.'

    I suppose some will be disappointed that the M8 has an APS-C sensor,
    but Phil Askew claims that anything larger would have required a larger
    camera, which kind of defeats the whole idea behind the M series. The
    camera looks very expensive, but no doubt a new generation of Leica
    users will love it.

    It also has a metal shutter, and Phil Askew's preview leaves open the
    question of whether the rear LCD has digital preview. I suspect it does
    not, for much the same reason that DSLRs do not: the camera has a
    mechanical shutter that is cocked immediately after the previous shot
    is taken. Besides, why in the world would anyone buy an M rangefinder
    and then use digital preview? The M8 is not intended to be a $5000
    consumer point and shoot. No idiot modes. You get aperture preferred,
    shutter preferred, or a combination, or manual. Shutter speed set by a
    dial. A shutter release button threaded for a cable release. And a
    camera built, as Askew says, like a tank. This thing looks like a
    professional rangefinder camera.

    cjcampbell, Sep 15, 2006

  2. cjcampbell

    frederick Guest

    cjcampbell wrote:

    > I suppose some will be disappointed that the M8 has an APS-C sensor,
    > but Phil Askew claims that anything larger would have required a larger
    > camera, which kind of defeats the whole idea behind the M series. The
    > camera looks very expensive, but no doubt a new generation of Leica
    > users will love it.

    27 x 18mm Kodak sensor - bigger than APS-C.
    So a reasonable pixel pitch (ISO2500 max), no anti-alias filter, offset
    microlenses on sensor edges...
    Uses SD cards - must be aimed for the entry level P&S market.

    frederick, Sep 15, 2006

  3. cjcampbell

    Rich Guest

    cjcampbell wrote:
    > Announced today, pre-Photokina, along with two new M system lenses
    > (along with the bogus claim that these are special 'digital' lenses,
    > but what the heck). So much for RichA's assertion that Photokina this
    > year is a 'disappointment.'

    No, I was wrong in most respects. Apart from the horribly
    disappointing Olympus E-400, we've got a slew of entry DSLRs and this
    one which Leica in it's infinite wisdom decided to make out of
    MAGNESIUM and not polycheapinate.

    Rich, Sep 15, 2006
  4. In article <>,
    Rich <> wrote:

    > No, I was wrong in most respects. Apart from the horribly
    > disappointing Olympus E-400, we've got a slew of entry DSLRs and this
    > one which Leica in it's infinite wisdom decided to make out of
    > MAGNESIUM and not polycheapinate.

    Get on that one trick pony and ride...

    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 15, 2006
  5. cjcampbell

    bmoag Guest

    This differs from the Epson M mount digital rangefinder how?

    bmoag, Sep 15, 2006
  6. cjcampbell

    bmoag Guest

    Found the review: More megapixels, unique sensor.
    At the assumed astronomical price point I wonder how many units Leica
    expects to ship over the next 24 months.
    My M3, which I believe was manufactured around 1959, still works fine.
    Will the M8 match that?

    bmoag, Sep 15, 2006
  7. "bmoag" <> wrote:
    > This differs from the Epson M mount digital rangefinder how?

    It's more expensive and doesn't have an antialiasing filter.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 15, 2006
  8. cjcampbell

    Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:

    > "bmoag" <> wrote:
    > > This differs from the Epson M mount digital rangefinder how?

    > It's more expensive and doesn't have an antialiasing filter.
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    It has a cleaner design and a wider rangfinder baseline.

    It also has a Leica badge, which in some peoples eyes makes it worth
    whatever price is asked.

    The fact that it is totaly out of my price-range make it all rather
    accedemic.

    , Sep 15, 2006
  9. cjcampbell

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <1158292468.202916@ftpsrv1>, frederick says...

    > Uses SD cards - must be aimed for the entry level P&S market.

    SD cards are also used on high end DSLRs - they are by no means inferior
    to CF, except for the max. size which in any case does not matter, as
    8GB SD cards are available.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Sep 15, 2006
  10. cjcampbell

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, Rich
    says...

    > No, I was wrong in most respects. Apart from the horribly
    > disappointing Olympus E-400

    What's so disappointing with the E400?
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Sep 15, 2006
  11. cjcampbell

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <1158292468.202916@ftpsrv1>, frederick says...

    > 27 x 18mm Kodak sensor - bigger than APS-C.

    Crop factor 1.33 to be precise.

    It's also a very special sensor, whose microlenses at the edges are
    tilted towards the centre to better capture the light rays and reduce
    sensor vignetting.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Sep 15, 2006
  12. cjcampbell

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 21:21:11 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:

    >> No, I was wrong in most respects. Apart from the horribly
    >> disappointing Olympus E-400

    > What's so disappointing with the E400?

    The availability in the USA only from gray market sales?

    ASAAR, Sep 15, 2006
  13. cjcampbell

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, ASAAR says...

    > >> No, I was wrong in most respects. Apart from the horribly
    > >> disappointing Olympus E-400

    > > What's so disappointing with the E400?

    > The availability in the USA only from gray market sales?

    Why wouldn't Olympus want to sell the E400 in the USA?
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Sep 15, 2006
  14. cjcampbell

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 23:31:04 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:

    >> The availability in the USA only from gray market sales?

    > Why wouldn't Olympus want to sell the E400 in the USA?

    Dpreview doesn't know why, nor do I. I'll speculate, but you
    should understand that it's not based on any available information.

    1. They may not have sufficient production capacity to meet initial
    worldwide demand, and will release it here in 2007, Q1 or Q2.

    2. They're licensing Fuji's in camera processing algorithms as well
    as the F30's sensor (enlarged to 4/3 size) for use in a super EF430
    which will be available here next April 1, and only in the USA or to
    kinga, wherever he may roam.

    3. They hate our freedom, and the ease with which we redesignated
    French Fries as Freedom Fries left a bitter taste in their mouth.

    4. They've studied Ali, and are suckering in Canon, Nikon and Sony
    with their version of his Rope-A-Dope strategy.

    ASAAR, Sep 15, 2006
  15. Rich wrote:

    > No, I was wrong in most respects. Apart from the horribly
    > disappointing Olympus E-400, we've got a slew of entry DSLRs and this
    > one which Leica in it's infinite wisdom decided to make out of
    > MAGNESIUM and not polycheapinate.

    Would you guys PLEASE learn the difference between "its" and "it's"?

    Tired of it,

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Sep 16, 2006
  16. Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    > Rich wrote:
    >

    >> No, I was wrong in most respects. Apart from the horribly
    >> disappointing Olympus E-400, we've got a slew of entry DSLRs and this
    >> one which Leica in it's infinite wisdom decided to make out of
    >> MAGNESIUM and not polycheapinate.

    > Would you guys PLEASE learn the difference between "its" and "it's"?
    >
    > Tired of it,
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    Perhaps you might care to point those with less knowledge of English to a
    Web page explaining the difference, so that they might learn better?

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 16, 2006
  17. cjcampbell

    Pete D Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote in message news:LCLOg.19803$...
    > Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    >> Rich wrote:
    >>

    >>> No, I was wrong in most respects. Apart from the horribly
    >>> disappointing Olympus E-400, we've got a slew of entry DSLRs and this
    >>> one which Leica in it's infinite wisdom decided to make out of
    >>> MAGNESIUM and not polycheapinate.

    >> Would you guys PLEASE learn the difference between "its" and "it's"?
    >>
    >> Tired of it,
    >>
    >> Gary Eickmeier

    > Perhaps you might care to point those with less knowledge of English to a
    > Web page explaining the difference, so that they might learn better?
    >
    > David

    Perhaps it would also be a good idea to point to the laws for Usenet that
    says punctuation, grammar and spelling "must" be correct at all times and
    when it is appropriate to be anal about it.

    Pete D, Sep 16, 2006
  18. cjcampbell

    Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    > > Rich wrote:
    > >

    > >> No, I was wrong in most respects. Apart from the horribly
    > >> disappointing Olympus E-400, we've got a slew of entry DSLRs and this
    > >> one which Leica in it's infinite wisdom decided to make out of
    > >> MAGNESIUM and not polycheapinate.

    > > Would you guys PLEASE learn the difference between "its" and "it's"?
    > >
    > > Tired of it,
    > >
    > > Gary Eickmeier

    > Perhaps you might care to point those with less knowledge of English to a
    > Web page explaining the difference, so that they might learn better?
    >
    > David

    It is (notice the two seperate words) quite a simple rule.
    In English that the contraction of _it is_ is _it's_ and to show
    ownership the word is _its_.
    An example (off the top of my head) is: "It's a black cat, but its fur
    is mangy."

    , Sep 16, 2006
  19. Pete D wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
    > message news:LCLOg.19803$...
    >> Gary Eickmeier wrote:

    >>> Would you guys PLEASE learn the difference between "its" and "it's"?
    >>>
    >>> Tired of it,
    >>>
    >>> Gary Eickmeier

    >> Perhaps you might care to point those with less knowledge of English
    >> to a Web page explaining the difference, so that they might learn
    >> better? David

    > Perhaps it would also be a good idea to point to the laws for Usenet
    > that says punctuation, grammar and spelling "must" be correct at all
    > times and when it is appropriate to be anal about it.

    Quite! Why is why I asked for consideration for non-native English
    speakers. (Perhaps native speakers should know better?).

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 16, 2006
  20. cjcampbell

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "cjcampbell" <> writes:
    > I suppose some will be disappointed that the M8 has an APS-C sensor,

    It's larger than APS-C but smaller than full frame.

    Somewhat more puzzlingly, the M8 apparently has no anti-aliasing
    filter over the ccd. They say the fix aliasing through
    postprocessing, but that's theoretically impossible.

    Paul Rubin, Sep 16, 2006