    Thanks
    Mike

    , Jul 20, 2006

  2. Yes, it is a legitimate Promotional copy. It was likely distributed at a
    trade show or conference.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 20, 2006

  3. John Barnes Guest

    See discussion from Larry Hodges 6/27/2006. His purchase from same vendor
    was academic version. Discussion covers all opinions.

    John Barnes, Jul 20, 2006
  4. Mike;
    If it is truly promotional, it is to be given away free and clearly marked
    not to be sold.
    If it is academic, the seller as a minimum misleading since all the facts
    are not clearly available on the website.
    Academic and Promotional are completely different and not easily
    confused...at least not by a legitimate seller

    Ask the seller for the facts.
    I avoid those who are unwilling to give the facts on the products they sell.

    Spend $ at your own risk.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jul 20, 2006
  5. Guest

    Thanks for the pointer. I searched and found the discussion. I also
    found a much more in-depth discussion on June 10th that even had a link
    in to the same site. I really should learn to search better.

    Anyway, I am registered as a student at a university, so I guess that
    qualifies me to get the academic version (haven't thought about that).
    So I guess it's OK to get this one.

    Thanks again
    MikeB

    John Barnes wrote:
    > See discussion from Larry Hodges 6/27/2006. His purchase from same vendor
    > was academic version. Discussion covers all opinions.
    >

    > <> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I asked this over on the general Windows forum and were told that I
    > > should probably ask my question over here.
    > >
    > > I'm building my own PC and want to run Windows XP Pro 64-bit on it. I
    > > do want to be "legal", yet I would like to pay the lowest price
    > > possible.
    > >
    > > I found this "Promotional" offer. Is it legit and will I get into any
    > > trouble installing and running the software?
    > >
    > > http://www.royaldiscount.com/miwixpprox641.html
    > >
    > > Alternatively, where can I source a legit copy of Windows OEM (since
    > > I'm building the PC) at a very good price?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Mike

    , Jul 21, 2006
  6. Best of luck with it. It is a good price.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 21, 2006
  7. Yes, if you're a student, by all means grab it at that price. (But check
    your campus bookstore too - they might have it at a very competitive price.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    wrote:
    > Thanks for the pointer. I searched and found the discussion. I also
    > found a much more in-depth discussion on June 10th that even had a link
    > in to the same site. I really should learn to search better.
    >
    > Anyway, I am registered as a student at a university, so I guess that
    > qualifies me to get the academic version (haven't thought about that).
    > So I guess it's OK to get this one.
    >
    > Thanks again
    > MikeB
    >
    > John Barnes wrote:
    >> See discussion from Larry Hodges 6/27/2006. His purchase from same
    >> vendor was academic version. Discussion covers all opinions.
    >>

    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi, I asked this over on the general Windows forum and were told that I
    >>> should probably ask my question over here.
    >>>
    >>> I'm building my own PC and want to run Windows XP Pro 64-bit on it. I
    >>> do want to be "legal", yet I would like to pay the lowest price
    >>> possible.
    >>>
    >>> I found this "Promotional" offer. Is it legit and will I get into any
    >>> trouble installing and running the software?
    >>>
    >>> http://www.royaldiscount.com/miwixpprox641.html
    >>>
    >>> Alternatively, where can I source a legit copy of Windows OEM (since
    >>> I'm building the PC) at a very good price?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Mike

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 21, 2006
  8. DP Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I found this "Promotional" offer. Is it legit and will I get into any
    > trouble installing and running the software?
    >
    > http://www.royaldiscount.com/miwixpprox641.html

    I've read all the existing replies to this. A few points:

    1) You might want to look at the return policy:
    http://www.royaldiscount.com/privacypolicy.html
    Restocking PLUS credit-card fees. I've never heard of a credit-card fee
    before, but then the online shopping I do is with a limited number of
    merchants. Charging you a fee equal to 3.5 percent of the purchase price for
    RETURNING an item seems really strange to me (unless I'm misreading the
    policy). I think that alone would be enough to steer me away from this
    merchant.

    2) Given that MS rarely discounts the price of operating systems, THIS price
    would make me very wary. And as someone has already pointed out, promotional
    copies may be listed clearly as not for resale. If this vender is selling
    something not for resale, that should send another red flag up. It also may
    mean you will get no support from MS if you have questions/problems (which
    also is true of OEM versions of software).

    3) There seemed to be some confusion in some of the replies about academic
    vs. promotional versions. As someone pointed out promotional and academic
    versions are NOT the same. Try to find the best price you can on the
    academic version and live with that. I have a feeling it's not going to be
    close to the price you're seeing here, but I think there are enough red
    flags to warn you away from buying from this vendor.

    Good luck.

    DP, Jul 21, 2006
  9. Larry Hodges Guest

    It is the full version without any limitations. But it is academic, for
    which you qualify.

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Jul 21, 2006
  10. DP Guest

    "Larry Hodges" <> wrote in message
    > It is the full version without any limitations. But it is academic, for
    > which you qualify.
    >
    > -Larry

    Where on that page (http://www.royaldiscount.com/miwixpprox641.html) does it
    say it's the academic version? I don't see that anywhere. But maybe I'm
    missing something.

    DP, Jul 21, 2006
  11. Larry Hodges Guest

    "DP" <> wrote in message

    > "Larry Hodges" <> wrote in message
    >> It is the full version without any limitations. But it is academic, for
    >> which you qualify.
    >>
    >> -Larry
    >>

    > Where on that page (http://www.royaldiscount.com/miwixpprox641.html) does
    > it say it's the academic version? I don't see that anywhere. But maybe I'm
    > missing something.

    It doesn't say, which is why I ended up buying it. Long story, and no I
    don't qualify.

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Jul 21, 2006
  12. DP Guest

    > "DP" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Larry Hodges" <> wrote in message
    >>> It is the full version without any limitations. But it is academic, for
    >>> which you qualify.
    >>>
    >>> -Larry
    >>>

    >> Where on that page (http://www.royaldiscount.com/miwixpprox641.html) does
    >> it say it's the academic version? I don't see that anywhere. But maybe
    >> I'm missing something.

    > It doesn't say, which is why I ended up buying it. Long story, and no I
    > don't qualify.
    >
    > -Larry

    Oh, OK. You were the guy in the other thread who bought it, not realizing it
    was academic.
    Some people criticized you, but I came to your defense, if I recall
    correctly.

    A question: did your disc look like what's pictured here, or did they send
    you something else?
    I ask because I'm wondering if they may send out different stock, depending
    on what they've got on hand. (As best I can see the picture on that website,
    it looks like some kind of bulk-licensed product.)
    In your case, they sent you the academic. But I wonder if in other cases
    they send out what really is promotional, and should not be resold and/or
    has some kind of time limitation on it.

    DP, Jul 21, 2006
  13. Larry Hodges Guest

    "DP" <> wrote in message

    > "Larry Hodges" <> wrote in message
    >> "DP" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Larry Hodges" <> wrote in message

    >>> Where on that page (http://www.royaldiscount.com/miwixpprox641.html)
    >>> does it say it's the academic version? I don't see that anywhere. But
    >>> maybe I'm missing something.

    >> It doesn't say, which is why I ended up buying it. Long story, and no I
    >> don't qualify.
    >>
    >> -Larry

    > Oh, OK. You were the guy in the other thread who bought it, not realizing
    > it was academic.
    > Some people criticized you, but I came to your defense, if I recall
    > correctly.
    >
    > A question: did your disc look like what's pictured here, or did they send
    > you something else?
    > I ask because I'm wondering if they may send out different stock,
    > depending on what they've got on hand. (As best I can see the picture on
    > that website, it looks like some kind of bulk-licensed product.)
    > In your case, they sent you the academic. But I wonder if in other cases
    > they send out what really is promotional, and should not be resold and/or
    > has some kind of time limitation on it.

    Here's a picture of my CD...

    http://www.maximizesoftware.com/images/Personal/x64_CD.jpg

    And when it's in the CD slip, it looks exactly like their picture. There is
    no manual or paperwork, only the CD slip with the product key on it and CD
    in it. No box.

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Jul 21, 2006
  14. DP Guest

    Clearly marked not for resale (which of course, you wouldn't be able to read
    until you had the disc in hand).
    So, back to the OP: You have a vendor selling something he's not supposed
    to be selling. How comfortable do you feel dealing with someone like that?
    How comfortable are you with the fact that he will stand behind what he
    sells? And how comfortable are you that you would have to pay a 3.5% "credit
    card fee" plus return shipping should you need to send it back?

    A question to the group: I noticed that the disc is marked "May 2005." Is
    that a matter of concern? Is that the most recent version available? And why
    does it even have a date on it? My OEM version has a "copyright 2005" in
    small print, but no month and not in large print. Why would this have month
    and year so prominently posted? I realize this sounds like nitpicking and
    may mean nothing. I'm just trying to avoid the OP getting screwed.

    DP, Jul 21, 2006
  15. Guest

    OK, I've one more question.

    If I install Win XP Acad version on this machine and later decide to
    sell the machine (perhaps to build a bigger, better one when I can
    afford it), Can I

    a) reinstall the academic version on my new machine

    b) sell it with the machine to the buyer?

    Thanks

    , Jul 25, 2006
  16. wrote:
    > OK, I've one more question.
    >
    > If I install Win XP Acad version on this machine and later decide to
    > sell the machine (perhaps to build a bigger, better one when I can
    > afford it), Can I
    >
    > a) reinstall the academic version on my new machine

    If you still qualify for the Academic license and remove it from the
    old machine, yes. (Actually, I believe the Academic license allows up
    to 3 installations, provided that you're the owner and primary user of
    each.) Read your EULA for a definitive answer.

    > b) sell it with the machine to the buyer?

    This may be permitted, if the buyer also qualifies for the Academic
    license. Again, read your EULA; it will say.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm