    traffic on broadband and questioning the legality of the data being transferred.
    Just thought i'd say my wife discovered pod casts for her ipod yesterday and
    chewed through 2.5gigs of traffic in a day!

    Craig Shore, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Craig Shore

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > Often i've seen people comment in this newsgroup about why people
    > need so much traffic on broadband and questioning the legality of the
    > data being transferred. Just thought i'd say my wife discovered pod
    > casts for her ipod yesterday and chewed through 2.5gigs of traffic in
    > a day!

    Wow! Obviously not throttled then. 2.5GB/day = 75GB/month!! I hope for your
    sake she tires of pod casts. (makes note to look 'pod-casts' up, having
    heard it mentioned a bit now).
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 29, 2005

  3. Craig Shore

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in news:438c251b$1
    @news.orcon.net.nz:

    > (makes note to look 'pod-casts' up, having
    > heard it mentioned a bit now).

    Shoutcasts for IPod AFAIK

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 29, 2005
  4. "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Craig Shore wrote:
    >> Often i've seen people comment in this newsgroup about why people
    >> need so much traffic on broadband and questioning the legality of the
    >> data being transferred. Just thought i'd say my wife discovered pod
    >> casts for her ipod yesterday and chewed through 2.5gigs of traffic in
    >> a day!

    > Wow! Obviously not throttled then. 2.5GB/day = 75GB/month!! I hope for
    > your sake she tires of pod casts. (makes note to look 'pod-casts' up,
    > having heard it mentioned a bit now).
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    The thing is, that this is one of the ideal applications for broadband. We
    in NZ technically have broadband, but it is no good for more than a few days
    a month.

    It would be good to use video streaming too - but that is out of the
    question.

    Even on my 2mb connection, i have difficulty playing 700k streams.

    Also, I download program updates from time to time - 30mb just for the ati
    drivers.

    And, because i use my connection for work - this chews 6 gig per month too.

    So, my bb connection is pretty stunted in my opinion.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Nov 29, 2005
  5. Craig Shore

    shannon Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:12:29 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Craig Shore wrote:
    >>> Often i've seen people comment in this newsgroup about why people
    >>> need so much traffic on broadband and questioning the legality of the
    >>> data being transferred. Just thought i'd say my wife discovered pod
    >>> casts for her ipod yesterday and chewed through 2.5gigs of traffic in
    >>> a day!

    >> Wow! Obviously not throttled then. 2.5GB/day = 75GB/month!! I hope for
    >> your sake she tires of pod casts. (makes note to look 'pod-casts' up,
    >> having heard it mentioned a bit now).
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > The thing is, that this is one of the ideal applications for broadband. We
    > in NZ technically have broadband, but it is no good for more than a few days
    > a month.
    >
    > It would be good to use video streaming too - but that is out of the
    > question.
    >
    > Even on my 2mb connection, i have difficulty playing 700k streams.
    >
    > Also, I download program updates from time to time - 30mb just for the ati
    > drivers.
    >
    > And, because i use my connection for work - this chews 6 gig per month too.
    >
    > So, my bb connection is pretty stunted in my opinion.

    Agreed, the NZ caps are based on usage estimates that the providers made
    based on dialup usage applications and patterns.
    They have fallen into the usual trap of preparing to fight the last war.
    My son has a standard basic 2 MB/s NTL cable modem connection in the UK
    and the cap he has is 1 GB per 24hrs.
    (He has a severe hearing impairment, so his interest is downloading TV
    series content that he can get subtitle files for.)
    Thats far more realistic for a marketplace where video and audio content
    are the killer apps.

    shannon, Nov 29, 2005
  6. Craig Shore

    shannon Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in news:438c251b$1
    > @news.orcon.net.nz:
    >
    >> (makes note to look 'pod-casts' up, having
    >> heard it mentioned a bit now).
    >>

    > Shoutcasts for IPod AFAIK

    Its RSS for audio.
    Content delivery in a convenient form for portable players.
    The squeezebox also has a podcast browsing feature

    A good free client is juice receiver
    http://juicereceiver.sourceforge.net/index.php

    shannon, Nov 29, 2005
  7. Craig Shore

    shannon Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in news:438c251b$1
    >> @news.orcon.net.nz:
    >>
    >>> (makes note to look 'pod-casts' up, having heard it mentioned a bit
    >>> now).
    >>>

    >> Shoutcasts for IPod AFAIK
    >>

    > Its RSS for audio.
    > Content delivery in a convenient form for portable players.
    > The squeezebox also has a podcast browsing feature
    >
    > A good free client is juice receiver
    > http://juicereceiver.sourceforge.net/index.php

    At the moment I'm listening to
    http://www.norml.org/rss/normlnews_podcast.xml

    shannon, Nov 29, 2005
  8. Craig Shore

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in news:438c251b$1
    > @news.orcon.net.nz:
    >

    >>(makes note to look 'pod-casts' up, having
    >>heard it mentioned a bit now).
    >>

    > Shoutcasts for IPod AFAIK

    Wrong on both points; but to be fair, podcasts is probably the worst
    name ever.

    It has nothing to do with iPods or shoutcast.

    Podcasts are an audio attachment to a RSS feed; you can also get video
    casts. Formats are well suited to use on portable devices (which may be
    an iPod) but equally well suited to any media player.

    Just about anything that people are interested in is available as a
    podcast; for example, the BBC produces a few. It is useful because it is
    asychronous - you can listen to the BBC news (for example) at a time
    that suits you, maybe while you are commuting - and once you have set up
    your client, podcasts just arrive without any intervention by you.
    Itunes can be used as a client, and even adds them to playlist
    automatically, and tracks which ones you've listened to.

    I quite like ipodder as a podcast client, again very badly named - I
    don't even own an iPod. I just rebroadcast the podcasts around the
    house. I probably subscribe to about 1-2GB per month of podcasts.

    Wikipedia has an excellent article on podcasting:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcast

    Long article, but well worth the read. Podcasting is one of those
    technologies that you need to try for a while before you'll see how
    useful it is. One of the "killer apps" of broadband, although it works
    on dialup, too. Podcasts delivered by bittorrent would be even better,
    as the distribution costs to the publisher would drop to nearly zero.

    HTH

    -=rjh=-, Nov 29, 2005
  9. Craig Shore

    ~misfit~ Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in news:438c251b$1
    >> @news.orcon.net.nz:
    >>

    >>> (makes note to look 'pod-casts' up, having
    >>> heard it mentioned a bit now).
    >>>

    >> Shoutcasts for IPod AFAIK
    >>

    > Wrong on both points; but to be fair, podcasts is probably the worst
    > name ever.
    >
    > It has nothing to do with iPods or shoutcast.
    >
    > Podcasts are an audio attachment to a RSS feed; you can also get video
    > casts. Formats are well suited to use on portable devices (which may
    > be an iPod) but equally well suited to any media player.
    >
    > Just about anything that people are interested in is available as a
    > podcast; for example, the BBC produces a few. It is useful because it
    > is asychronous - you can listen to the BBC news (for example) at a
    > time that suits you, maybe while you are commuting - and once you
    > have set up your client, podcasts just arrive without any
    > intervention by you. Itunes can be used as a client, and even adds
    > them to playlist automatically, and tracks which ones you've listened
    > to.
    > I quite like ipodder as a podcast client, again very badly named - I
    > don't even own an iPod. I just rebroadcast the podcasts around the
    > house. I probably subscribe to about 1-2GB per month of podcasts.
    >
    > Wikipedia has an excellent article on podcasting:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcast
    >
    > Long article, but well worth the read. Podcasting is one of those
    > technologies that you need to try for a while before you'll see how
    > useful it is. One of the "killer apps" of broadband, although it works
    > on dialup, too. Podcasts delivered by bittorrent would be even better,
    > as the distribution costs to the publisher would drop to nearly zero.
    >
    > HTH

    Indeed it does, thanks.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 30, 2005
  10. Craig Shore

    Allistar Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Craig Shore wrote:
    >>> Often i've seen people comment in this newsgroup about why people
    >>> need so much traffic on broadband and questioning the legality of the
    >>> data being transferred. Just thought i'd say my wife discovered pod
    >>> casts for her ipod yesterday and chewed through 2.5gigs of traffic in
    >>> a day!

    >> Wow! Obviously not throttled then. 2.5GB/day = 75GB/month!! I hope for
    >> your sake she tires of pod casts. (makes note to look 'pod-casts' up,
    >> having heard it mentioned a bit now).
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > The thing is, that this is one of the ideal applications for broadband.
    > We in NZ technically have broadband,

    No we don't. Not through ADSL anyway. 128kb/s up is not broadband.

    > but it is no good for more than a few
    > days a month.
    >
    > It would be good to use video streaming too - but that is out of the
    > question.
    >
    > Even on my 2mb connection, i have difficulty playing 700k streams.
    >
    > Also, I download program updates from time to time - 30mb just for the ati
    > drivers.
    >
    > And, because i use my connection for work - this chews 6 gig per month
    > too.
    >
    > So, my bb connection is pretty stunted in my opinion.

    I often hit 2Mb/s when downloading things, but when I want to upload a 100Mb
    file it takes forever. Is this a technical limitation or a Telecom imposed
    one?

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Nov 30, 2005
  11. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 23:46:07 +1300, Allistar <> wrote:

    >I often hit 2Mb/s when downloading things, but when I want to upload a 100Mb
    >file it takes forever. Is this a technical limitation or a Telecom imposed
    >one?

    It's Telecom imposed. You should be able to get about 800kbps up and 6000kbps
    down with a reasonable connection to the exchange if it was not artifically
    limited by Telecom.
    Someone I know was on full speed ADSL with their business, and got pushed off it
    onto the new UBS with the upstream limited like everybody else here. This is
    unacceptable to them so they are switching to TelstraClear cable which you can
    have 2mb up.

    Craig Shore, Nov 30, 2005