Legend MP3 player

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, Feb 15, 2006.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    -=rjh=-, Feb 15, 2006

  2. -=rjh=-

    Baloo Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Anyone here use one of these?
    >
    > As at http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=MP3LGD1000 (a random
    > example)or listed in http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_7412.html?
    >
    > Any comments, is audio quality acceptable?
    >
    > Is any software supplied with it for syncing, or do you just use it as a
    > USB drive?
    >
    > TI

    Have not had any experience with that player, have the one before it,
    but I have always found all Legend products to be above reproach. I
    particularly like the one you are looking at to be expanded in memory.
    I would think that quality may partly depend on the memory quality that
    was employed

    Baloo
    Baloo, Feb 16, 2006

  3. -=rjh=-

    frederick Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Anyone here use one of these?
    >
    > As at http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=MP3LGD1000 (a random
    > example)or listed in http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_7412.html?
    >
    > Any comments, is audio quality acceptable?
    >
    > Is any software supplied with it for syncing, or do you just use it as a
    > USB drive?
    >
    > TIA

    I have two of them. That price is good - I saw them for sale at a local
    computer shop for $100. I paid about $50 each.

    Good points - small, reasonable battery life from a single AAA - long
    life with an AAA NiMh, simple operation, reasonable sound quality,
    display, cheap (ie slow) SD cards are fine.

    Bad points - USB is 1.1 - not USB 2.0 - so would take forever to upload
    / download files from large SD cards - not a problem if you have an SD
    card reader. Track display is numeric only - and stops at 99 - so you
    can't go to a specific track past 99 except by counting how many times
    you press the button. I suggest that a pile of cheap 128 or 256 Mb sd
    cards are preferable to big 1gb+ cards, except that SD cards are so
    small that they are very easy to lose.

    Mitigating the bad points is that for the price, they are great.

    One of the players developed a fault - the on/off button jammed down.
    It may have been sand from the beach. 4 little screws to remove and 2
    minutes to pull apart, clean the button, and reassemble. No problems.

    No software supplied or needed. Via USB, most Os's will see it as a drive.
    frederick, Feb 16, 2006
  4. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >> Anyone here use one of these?
    >>
    >> As at http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=MP3LGD1000 (a random
    >> example)or listed in http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_7412.html?
    >>
    >> Any comments, is audio quality acceptable?
    >>
    >> Is any software supplied with it for syncing, or do you just use it as
    >> a USB drive?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > I have two of them. That price is good - I saw them for sale at a local
    > computer shop for $100. I paid about $50 each.
    >
    > Good points - small, reasonable battery life from a single AAA - long
    > life with an AAA NiMh, simple operation, reasonable sound quality,
    > display, cheap (ie slow) SD cards are fine.
    >
    > Bad points - USB is 1.1 - not USB 2.0 - so would take forever to upload
    > / download files from large SD cards - not a problem if you have an SD
    > card reader. Track display is numeric only - and stops at 99 - so you
    > can't go to a specific track past 99 except by counting how many times
    > you press the button. I suggest that a pile of cheap 128 or 256 Mb sd
    > cards are preferable to big 1gb+ cards, except that SD cards are so
    > small that they are very easy to lose.
    >
    > Mitigating the bad points is that for the price, they are great.
    >
    > One of the players developed a fault - the on/off button jammed down. It
    > may have been sand from the beach. 4 little screws to remove and 2
    > minutes to pull apart, clean the button, and reassemble. No problems.
    >
    > No software supplied or needed. Via USB, most Os's will see it as a drive.

    That's what I thought, so should work fine here. I'm thinking I'd use
    this mostly for listening to podcasts.

    Thanks for taking the time to reply, I think I might get one - I already
    have several SD cards which sit around between uses, and the players are
    as cheap as $33.00 some places.

    cheers
    -=rjh=-, Feb 16, 2006