legal question about computer damage

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Bradley26, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. Bradley26

    Bradley26 Guest

    I bring my laptop, newly installed win2000, older Norton 2001 and most all
    the windows updates (I was in a hurry)

    and in a hotel room with dsl, the instructions say to go to this certain
    website and accept the terms and conditions for using the in room internet
    access.

    there is the standard disclaimer, watch out for viruses and dont use the
    internet for illegal stuff. fine.

    then its sitting there for a while, seems to choke, I do control/alt/delete
    click task manager, it gets an hourglass, then that returns to regular
    cursor, no task manager

    I reboot? and its now super slow. one click takes a long time. I give up.

    when I get home and check, I find spyware, trojans because I downloaded
    trend micro demo version, and it found stuff.

    I go into add/remove programs???? now there are 5 or so new programs,
    bullseye network something, shop direct something, etc

    uninstall them? it demands I complete a survey, then brings up a browser.
    says uninstalled. minutes later its downloading and installing the files I
    deleted

    legal question is:

    should the hotel pay for a shop to fix my win2000 install? I dont feel
    responsible for the damage since it requested I go to the website and fill
    the computer with malicous code

    thanks in advance

    Bradley26, Sep 21, 2004

  2. Bradley26

    Thor Guest

    "Bradley26" <> wrote in message
    >I bring my laptop, newly installed win2000, older Norton 2001 and most all
    > the windows updates (I was in a hurry)
    >
    > and in a hotel room with dsl, the instructions say to go to this certain
    > website and accept the terms and conditions for using the in room internet
    > access.
    >
    > there is the standard disclaimer, watch out for viruses and dont use the
    > internet for illegal stuff. fine.
    >
    > then its sitting there for a while, seems to choke, I do
    > control/alt/delete
    > click task manager, it gets an hourglass, then that returns to regular
    > cursor, no task manager
    >
    > I reboot? and its now super slow. one click takes a long time. I give
    > up.
    >
    > when I get home and check, I find spyware, trojans because I downloaded
    > trend micro demo version, and it found stuff.
    >
    > I go into add/remove programs???? now there are 5 or so new programs,
    > bullseye network something, shop direct something, etc
    >
    > uninstall them? it demands I complete a survey, then brings up a browser.
    > says uninstalled. minutes later its downloading and installing the files
    > deleted
    >
    > legal question is:
    >
    > should the hotel pay for a shop to fix my win2000 install? I dont feel
    > responsible for the damage since it requested I go to the website and fill
    > the computer with malicous code

    The "disclaimer" you agreed to, likely contains all the legal authorizations
    for installing those spyware apps. Just get some spyware cleaner programs
    and go on with your life. You would waste far more effort, time, and likely
    money trying to get the hotel to pay.

    Thor, Sep 21, 2004

  3. Bradley26

    John Guest

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:53:07 -0400, A strange species called "Thor"
    <> wrote:

    >"Bradley26" <> wrote in message
    >>I bring my laptop, newly installed win2000, older Norton 2001 and most all
    >> the windows updates (I was in a hurry)
    >>
    >> and in a hotel room with dsl, the instructions say to go to this certain
    >> website and accept the terms and conditions for using the in room internet
    >> access.
    >>
    >> there is the standard disclaimer, watch out for viruses and dont use the
    >> internet for illegal stuff. fine.
    >>
    >> then its sitting there for a while, seems to choke, I do
    >> control/alt/delete
    >> click task manager, it gets an hourglass, then that returns to regular
    >> cursor, no task manager
    >>
    >> I reboot? and its now super slow. one click takes a long time. I give
    >> up.
    >>
    >> when I get home and check, I find spyware, trojans because I downloaded
    >> trend micro demo version, and it found stuff.
    >>
    >> I go into add/remove programs???? now there are 5 or so new programs,
    >> bullseye network something, shop direct something, etc
    >>
    >> uninstall them? it demands I complete a survey, then brings up a browser.
    >> says uninstalled. minutes later its downloading and installing the files
    >> deleted
    >>
    >> legal question is:
    >>
    >> should the hotel pay for a shop to fix my win2000 install? I dont feel
    >> responsible for the damage since it requested I go to the website and fill
    >> the computer with malicous code

    >The "disclaimer" you agreed to, likely contains all the legal authorizations
    >for installing those spyware apps. Just get some spyware cleaner programs
    >and go on with your life. You would waste far more effort, time, and likely
    >money trying to get the hotel to pay.

    I agree with Thor. There is one thing you could do about the hotel
    though! You could go to tripadvisor and leave a poor rating for the
    hotel, and explain that the internet access left lots of crap on your
    computer, and advise others not to use the internet there.

    John

    John, Sep 21, 2004
  4. Bradley26

    Payne747 Guest

    John wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:53:07 -0400, A strange species called "Thor"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Bradley26" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I bring my laptop, newly installed win2000, older Norton 2001 and most all
    >>>the windows updates (I was in a hurry)
    >>>
    >>>and in a hotel room with dsl, the instructions say to go to this certain
    >>>website and accept the terms and conditions for using the in room internet
    >>>access.
    >>>
    >>>there is the standard disclaimer, watch out for viruses and dont use the
    >>>internet for illegal stuff. fine.
    >>>
    >>>then its sitting there for a while, seems to choke, I do
    >>>control/alt/delete
    >>>click task manager, it gets an hourglass, then that returns to regular
    >>>cursor, no task manager
    >>>
    >>>I reboot? and its now super slow. one click takes a long time. I give
    >>>up.
    >>>
    >>>when I get home and check, I find spyware, trojans because I downloaded
    >>>trend micro demo version, and it found stuff.
    >>>
    >>>I go into add/remove programs???? now there are 5 or so new programs,
    >>>bullseye network something, shop direct something, etc
    >>>
    >>>uninstall them? it demands I complete a survey, then brings up a browser.
    >>>says uninstalled. minutes later its downloading and installing the files
    >>>deleted
    >>>
    >>>legal question is:
    >>>
    >>>should the hotel pay for a shop to fix my win2000 install? I dont feel
    >>>responsible for the damage since it requested I go to the website and fill
    >>>the computer with malicous code

    >>The "disclaimer" you agreed to, likely contains all the legal authorizations
    >>for installing those spyware apps. Just get some spyware cleaner programs
    >>and go on with your life. You would waste far more effort, time, and likely
    >>money trying to get the hotel to pay.

    > I agree with Thor. There is one thing you could do about the hotel
    > though! You could go to tripadvisor and leave a poor rating for the
    > hotel, and explain that the internet access left lots of crap on your
    > computer, and advise others not to use the internet there.
    >
    > John

    It's your responsibility to have up to date anti-virus, and proper
    firewall protection since this will happen to any network connection you
    plug into, not just a Hotel.

    Did you say the hotel directed you to install it? How so? Trend Micro
    has a good reputation, if the hotel had it locally installed and you
    simply downloaded it of their LAN then they are repsonsible, however you
    most likely just got it all from having an un-patched Windoze system on
    the net.

    Payne747, Sep 21, 2004
  5. Bradley26

    Thor Guest

    > It's your responsibility to have up to date anti-virus, and proper
    > firewall protection since this will happen to any network connection you
    > plug into, not just a Hotel.
    >
    > Did you say the hotel directed you to install it? How so? Trend Micro has
    > a good reputation, if the hotel had it locally installed and you simply
    > downloaded it of their LAN then they are repsonsible, however you most
    > likely just got it all from having an un-patched Windoze system on the
    > net.

    I think you misunderstood him. He said that he discovered the spyware when
    he got home and installed Trend Micro antivirus, and scanned the system with
    it. Evidently, the scan turned up numerous items. He was not claiming that
    installing the AV program is what gave him the spyware. He is saying the
    hotel's internet service signup/activation page installed the spyware, which
    is entirely possible. But then again, it's also possible he visited other
    pages that were the source of the spyware.

    Thor, Sep 21, 2004
  6. Bradley26

    Payne747 Guest

    Thor wrote:
    >>It's your responsibility to have up to date anti-virus, and proper
    >>firewall protection since this will happen to any network connection you
    >>plug into, not just a Hotel.
    >>
    >>Did you say the hotel directed you to install it? How so? Trend Micro has
    >>a good reputation, if the hotel had it locally installed and you simply
    >>downloaded it of their LAN then they are repsonsible, however you most
    >>likely just got it all from having an un-patched Windoze system on the
    >>net.

    > I think you misunderstood him. He said that he discovered the spyware when
    > he got home and installed Trend Micro antivirus, and scanned the system with
    > it. Evidently, the scan turned up numerous items. He was not claiming that
    > installing the AV program is what gave him the spyware. He is saying the
    > hotel's internet service signup/activation page installed the spyware, which
    > is entirely possible. But then again, it's also possible he visited other
    > pages that were the source of the spyware.

    That's true. Chances are it may have been on the system for a while, I
    suggest letting the hotel know of the experience since virtually
    everyone has had some sort of spyware encounter. If they are any good,
    they will look into it :)

    --
    Payne747
    http://www-the-serpent.co.uk

    Change 200 to 747 to reply to email.

    Payne747, Sep 21, 2004
  7. Bradley26

    Bradley26 Guest

    yes, thats correct, I had spent hours getting the thing working, installed
    fresh win2000 and sp4 from a CD, then installed norton 2001 from CD, tried
    to set internet settings to high security, disabled some log on stuff in the
    user settings, only then did I connect to dsl at home, went to the windows
    update, let it do the zillion updates and reboots until all critical updates
    were installed; went to notron/symantec and let it do its upgrade thing
    there until it was happy

    I would check drudgereport, yahoo mail and thats about it.

    the next day I was on the road and thought it was pretty protected against
    malicious code

    when it was connected and said to agree to the terms of hotel use? it was
    really odd, there were long pauses, enough time to silently download things,
    then from the accept this page, it spawned off 5 or so new windows, the
    website, I think had a word in the address like "warez" in the name, and the
    sites all said "under construction"

    then it got super slow

    clicking on the X to close a browser? no effect.

    control/alt/del and task manager? the task manager cannot be displayed, it
    will not come up, it just acts like you never clicked on it

    I started using winNT 3.51 in the 1990s and not getting task manager was
    worrysome

    so after that I powered off/on, went to trend micro, eventually, it found
    trojans and erased them then installed, scanned, no viruses

    but one click would take up to a minute

    when I got home I found 4 or 5 new programs installed under the add/remove
    programs page

    one was "BullsEye software" that when you go to uninstall? it makes you
    fill out a survey, why do you want to uninstall? by this time Im thinking
    of writing a letter to Atty Gen Ashcroft to raid bullseye software and the
    other criminal spyware/virus makers and throw them in prison

    all the programs had some kind of uninstall page, they all left the program
    installed, and after 30 seconds? began to re install themselves

    I wrote a letter to the hotel, havent heard back yet

    Bradley26, Sep 23, 2004