Legacy Monster discs, what about the Mummy?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Bratboy, May 11, 2004.

  1. Bratboy

    Bratboy Guest

    I ordered the full 3 monster set (was actually cheaper online than the
    individual sets) but I notice there is no Mummy set. Does anyone know if
    they maybe intend to do one and or one for Creature of the Black Lagoon too?

    Thx in advance
    Just Jess
     
    Bratboy, May 11, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "Bratboy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I ordered the full 3 monster set (was actually cheaper online than
    > the individual sets) but I notice there is no Mummy set. Does anyone
    > know if they maybe intend to do one and or one for Creature of the
    > Black Lagoon too?
    >
    > Thx in advance
    > Just Jess



    I want my mummy!

    The mummy also got left out of _Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein_.

    It's the same with the "Universal Horror Legacy Collection." Dracula,
    the Frankenstein Monster and the Wolf Man are there -- but not the
    Mummy.

    It must be some kind of conspiracy.
     
    One-Shot Scot, May 11, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > "Bratboy" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > I ordered the full 3 monster set (was actually cheaper online than
    > > the individual sets) but I notice there is no Mummy set. Does anyone
    > > know if they maybe intend to do one and or one for Creature of the
    > > Black Lagoon too?
    > >
    > > Thx in advance
    > > Just Jess

    >
    >
    > I want my mummy!
    >
    > The mummy also got left out of _Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein_.
    >
    > It's the same with the "Universal Horror Legacy Collection." Dracula,
    > the Frankenstein Monster and the Wolf Man are there -- but not the
    > Mummy.
    >
    > It must be some kind of conspiracy.


    I really hope that if the first sets are successful, they will do more. I'd
    love a "Creature From..." set as well as an "Invisible Man" set.
    >
    >
     
    michael wheeler, May 11, 2004
    #3
  4. Bratboy

    Lithurge Guest

    "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote in
    news::

    > "Bratboy" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> I ordered the full 3 monster set (was actually cheaper
    >> online than the individual sets) but I notice there is no
    >> Mummy set.

    >
    > It's the same with the "Universal Horror Legacy
    > Collection." Dracula, the Frankenstein Monster and the Wolf
    > Man are there -- but not the Mummy.
    >
    > It must be some kind of conspiracy.
    >
    >

    To put a cynical spin on it, the obvious (they even have a
    trailer on the discs) answer is these were selected on the
    back of the Van Helsing movie.

    Both the Mummy & Creature From the Black Lagoon mentioned by
    another poster have been available on R2 (UK at least) for a
    while.
     
    Lithurge, May 11, 2004
    #4
  5. On Tue, 11 May 2004 15:41:58 GMT, "michael wheeler"
    <> wrote:

    >
    >"One-Shot Scot" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> "Bratboy" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >> > I ordered the full 3 monster set (was actually cheaper online than
    >> > the individual sets) but I notice there is no Mummy set. Does anyone
    >> > know if they maybe intend to do one and or one for Creature of the
    >> > Black Lagoon too?
    >> >
    >> > Thx in advance
    >> > Just Jess

    >>
    >>
    >> I want my mummy!
    >>
    >> The mummy also got left out of _Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein_.
    >>
    >> It's the same with the "Universal Horror Legacy Collection." Dracula,
    >> the Frankenstein Monster and the Wolf Man are there -- but not the
    >> Mummy.
    >>
    >> It must be some kind of conspiracy.

    >
    >I really hope that if the first sets are successful, they will do more. I'd
    >love a "Creature From..." set as well as an "Invisible Man" set.
    >>


    Also there are many other classic Universal horror films, such as "The
    Black Cat" "The Raven and "The Invisible Ray" (Released on laser) with
    Karloff, and "Murders in the Rue Morgue" with Bela Lugosi as well as
    other atmospheric thrillers from the Precode era. They deserve a
    release.. Many of Lugosi's and Karloff's films for UA, Paramount,
    Columbia, and MGM HAVE been released on DVD.

    . Steve
    >
     
    Steve(JazzHunter), May 11, 2004
    #5
  6. Only the monsters that made it to Van Helsing are getting the Legacy
    releases so far. The sales seem good and there is already rumors of
    Mummy, Creature and Invisible Man sets coming but nothing more than
    rumors.

    Mike

    Bratboy wrote:
    >
    > I ordered the full 3 monster set (was actually cheaper online than the
    > individual sets) but I notice there is no Mummy set. Does anyone know if
    > they maybe intend to do one and or one for Creature of the Black Lagoon too?
    >
    > Thx in advance
    > Just Jess
     
    Michael Rogers, May 11, 2004
    #6
  7. One-Shot Scot wrote:

    > I want my mummy!
    >
    > The mummy also got left out of _Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein_.


    Probably because the Mummy had only done one film at the time (and even
    then only had a cameo in a Karloff piece), and wasn't a Universal star yet.

    > It's the same with the "Universal Horror Legacy Collection." Dracula,
    > the Frankenstein Monster and the Wolf Man are there -- but not the
    > Mummy.


    Probably because he wasn't in "Van Helsing".

    Derek Janssen (yes, this's Universal--The movie on *disk* takes second
    billing)
     
    Derek Janssen, May 11, 2004
    #7
  8. On Tue, 11 May 2004 19:23:41 GMT, Michael Rogers
    <> wrote:

    >Only the monsters that made it to Van Helsing are getting the Legacy
    >releases so far. The sales seem good and there is already rumors of
    >Mummy, Creature and Invisible Man sets coming but nothing more than
    >rumors.
    >
    >Mike


    Yep. I suspect that those 3 legacy sets may be carted out around the
    time of the 'Van Helsing' DVD release - late October, maybe?

    There are 5 Mummy films, 5 Invisible Films, and 3 Creature films - I
    know there was a very nice 'Invisible Collection' laserdisc release
    that had all 4 sequels on it.

    I expect them to release these around the time of the Van Helsing DVD
    release, but who knows?
     
    Cato The Elder, May 11, 2004
    #8
  9. Bratboy

    jayembee Guest

    "Bratboy" <> wrote:

    >I ordered the full 3 monster set (was actually cheaper online than the
    >individual sets) but I notice there is no Mummy set. Does anyone know if
    >they maybe intend to do one and or one for Creature of the Black Lagoon too?


    Others have responded to this, but I wish to add that Universal seems
    to be going full ahead with their "Franchise Collection" line (but,
    c'mon...Michael Flatley?!?!?), so even if the Mummy, Invisible Man,
    and Creature films don't get Legacy sets like the Frank, Drac, and
    Wolfey, I have little doubt that we'll get "Franchise Collection" sets
    of them sometime soon...perhaps in time for Halloween.

    At least all five of the Mummy films got "Monster Collection" releases
    (even if they are currently OOP). The Creature and IMan
    sequels/follow-ups never got released on DVD.

    As for the Abbott & Costello films...by my reckoning, Universal has
    enough for two more volumes similar to what they've already released.
    Whether they choose to keep going in strict chronological order, or
    separate out the "meet the monsters" entries into a separate themed
    collection, I wouldn't venture to guess.

    -- jayembee
     
    jayembee, May 12, 2004
    #9
  10. On Wed, 12 May 2004 00:17:01 GMT, jayembee
    <> wrote:

    >"Bratboy" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I ordered the full 3 monster set (was actually cheaper online than the
    >>individual sets) but I notice there is no Mummy set. Does anyone know if
    >>they maybe intend to do one and or one for Creature of the Black Lagoon too?

    >
    >Others have responded to this, but I wish to add that Universal seems
    >to be going full ahead with their "Franchise Collection" line (but,
    >c'mon...Michael Flatley?!?!?), so even if the Mummy, Invisible Man,
    >and Creature films don't get Legacy sets like the Frank, Drac, and
    >Wolfey, I have little doubt that we'll get "Franchise Collection" sets
    >of them sometime soon...perhaps in time for Halloween.
    >
    >At least all five of the Mummy films got "Monster Collection" releases
    >(even if they are currently OOP). The Creature and IMan
    >sequels/follow-ups never got released on DVD.
    >
    >As for the Abbott & Costello films...by my reckoning, Universal has
    >enough for two more volumes similar to what they've already released.
    >Whether they choose to keep going in strict chronological order, or
    >separate out the "meet the monsters" entries into a separate themed
    >collection, I wouldn't venture to guess.
    >
    >-- jayembee


    However, Abbott and Costello #3 does contain "Abbott and Costello meet
    the Killer - Boris Karloff" My favourite of the A & C (semi) monster
    flicks if only for the presence of the incredibly cute Universal
    contract player Donna Martell (Project Moonbase.)

    . Steve ..
     
    Steve(JazzHunter), May 12, 2004
    #10
  11. Bratboy

    jayembee Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote:

    >jayembee <> wrote:
    >
    >>As for the Abbott & Costello films...by my reckoning, Universal has
    >>enough for two more volumes similar to what they've already released.
    >>Whether they choose to keep going in strict chronological order, or
    >>separate out the "meet the monsters" entries into a separate themed
    >>collection, I wouldn't venture to guess.

    >
    >However, Abbott and Costello #3 does contain "Abbott and Costello meet
    >the Killer - Boris Karloff" My favourite of the A & C (semi) monster
    >flicks if only for the presence of the incredibly cute Universal
    >contract player Donna Martell (Project Moonbase.)


    Hunh. I haven't seen a contents list for v.3. It's odd if they include
    that one, but not MEET FRANKENSTEIN or MEET DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE,
    which would be in the same set if they were continuing to go strictly
    by chronological order.

    I still haven't figured out why IT AIN'T HAY wasn't included in v.2.
    It couldn't be "lost", since there's an extant VHS tape of it, and it
    was produced by Universal, not by an indie company and just
    distriubuted by Universal.

    -- jayembee
     
    jayembee, May 12, 2004
    #11
  12. On Wed, 12 May 2004 03:18:47 GMT, jayembee
    <> wrote:

    >Hunh. I haven't seen a contents list for v.3. It's odd if they include
    >that one, but not MEET FRANKENSTEIN or MEET DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE,
    >which would be in the same set if they were continuing to go strictly
    >by chronological order.
    >
    >I still haven't figured out why IT AIN'T HAY wasn't included in v.2.
    >It couldn't be "lost", since there's an extant VHS tape of it, and it
    >was produced by Universal, not by an indie company and just
    >distriubuted by Universal.


    Hey friend,

    The Best of Abbott & Costello Vol. 3 has been announced and
    the 2 DVD set will be released on August 3, 2004.

    I have heard inconsistent reports on the contents of The Best of A&C
    Vol 3. It will either feature 7 or 8 films. It will definitely have:

    Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
    Mexican Hayride (1948)
    Abbott and Costello Meet The Killer, Boris Karloff (1949)
    Abbott and Costello Meet The Invisible Man (1951)
    Comin' Round the Mountain (1951)
    Lost In Alaska (1952)
    Abbott And Costello Go To Mars (1953)

    The inconsistency comes in that some sources list 'Abbott and Costello
    in the Foreign Legion (1950)' as part of the set and some don't. I
    suspect it will be part of the set, rounding it out to 8 films like
    the other two sets.

    This set looks good, with Frankensetin, Invisible Man and Mars on it,
    3 of my faves! I hope they include the extras from the original DVD
    release of A&C Meet Frankenstein on that disk (film historian
    commentary, a nice 30 min documentary, trailer).

    By my scorecard, this sequence leaves only 4 or so more Universal
    A&C films for a prospective 4th Volume (November 2004?):

    Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1953)
    Abbott and Costello Meet the Keystone Kops (1955)
    Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (1955)
    & maybe The World of Abbott and Costello (1965)

    I suspect they will load up Vol 4 with some extras, like the A&C Meet
    Jerry Seinfeld originally announced for Volume 2 but which is nowhere
    on Vol. 2.

    'It Ain't Hey' was not included in any set because of a legal issue
    with the Damon Runyon estate, since the story is based on a Runyon
    yarn. Maybe someday!

    Now all we need is for the MGM A&C films to get released! Enjoy!!!
     
    Cato The Elder, May 12, 2004
    #12
  13. Bratboy

    jayembee Guest

    jayembee <> wrote:

    >"Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote:
    >
    >>jayembee <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>As for the Abbott & Costello films...by my reckoning, Universal has
    >>>enough for two more volumes similar to what they've already released.
    >>>Whether they choose to keep going in strict chronological order, or
    >>>separate out the "meet the monsters" entries into a separate themed
    >>>collection, I wouldn't venture to guess.

    >>
    >>However, Abbott and Costello #3 does contain "Abbott and Costello meet
    >>the Killer - Boris Karloff" My favourite of the A & C (semi) monster
    >>flicks if only for the presence of the incredibly cute Universal
    >>contract player Donna Martell (Project Moonbase.)

    >
    >Hunh. I haven't seen a contents list for v.3. It's odd if they include
    >that one, but not MEET FRANKENSTEIN or MEET DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE,
    >which would be in the same set if they were continuing to go strictly
    >by chronological order.


    Should've looked before I posted. Just saw a listing for v.3, and it
    indeed is continuing in chronological order, and includes MEET
    FRANKENSTEIN and MEET THE INVISIBLE MAN (not DJ&MH)

    -- jayembee
     
    jayembee, May 12, 2004
    #13
  14. Bratboy

    jayembee Guest

    Cato The Elder <> wrote:

    >By my scorecard, this sequence leaves only 4 or so more Universal
    >A&C films for a prospective 4th Volume (November 2004?):
    >
    >Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1953)
    >Abbott and Costello Meet the Keystone Kops (1955)
    >Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (1955)
    >& maybe The World of Abbott and Costello (1965)
    >
    >I suspect they will load up Vol 4 with some extras, like the A&C Meet
    >Jerry Seinfeld originally announced for Volume 2 but which is nowhere
    >on Vol. 2.


    Two other possibilities (but dim ones, in my opinion) are:

    (1) FIREMAN SAVE MY CHILD, which was originally written to be an A&C
    movie, but they only appear in it in long-shot cameos.

    (2) DANCE WITH ME HENRY, which was produced by an indie company, and
    distributed through United Artists. Universal, however, brought it out
    on VHS, so they may have acquired it.

    >'It Ain't Hey' was not included in any set because of a legal issue
    >with the Damon Runyon estate, since the story is based on a Runyon
    >yarn.


    D'oh! Of course. I should've thought of that.

    -- jayembee
     
    jayembee, May 12, 2004
    #14
  15. Bratboy

    djskyler Guest

    <Cato The Elder> wrote in message
    news:...

    > 'It Ain't Hey' was not included in any set because of a legal issue
    > with the Damon Runyon estate, since the story is based on a Runyon
    > yarn. Maybe someday!
    >

    The story I heard is that "It Ain't Hay" is formally recognized as a "lost
    film." There is no longer any known decent 35mm print of it in existence
    anywhere. You can buy a VHS of it from Movies Unlimited that is mastered
    from a 16mm print, but that is not acceptable to major studio standards so
    Universal has no plans to put it on DVD.
     
    djskyler, May 12, 2004
    #15
  16. Bratboy

    djskyler Guest

    "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > (1) FIREMAN SAVE MY CHILD, which was originally written to be an A&C
    > movie, but they only appear in it in long-shot cameos.
    >

    Action sequences were filmed with Abbott & Costello's stunt doubles for
    "Fireman Save My Child" before Lou got sick. Universal continued the
    project with Spike Jones & Buddy Hackett as they also resembled the stunt
    men in the already filmed sequences. The Internet Movie Database claim that
    59 year-old Bud Abbott & 48 year-old Lou Costello did the stunt shots, but
    as they were never known to do their own stunts in their comedy career (yes,
    Lou was a stuntman in the silent days, but he had left that far behind).
     
    djskyler, May 12, 2004
    #16
  17. On Wed, 12 May 2004 05:04:27 GMT, jayembee
    <> wrote:

    >>I suspect they will load up Vol 4 with some extras, like the A&C Meet
    >>Jerry Seinfeld originally announced for Volume 2 but which is nowhere
    >>on Vol. 2.

    >
    >Two other possibilities (but dim ones, in my opinion) are:
    >
    >(1) FIREMAN SAVE MY CHILD, which was originally written to be an A&C
    >movie, but they only appear in it in long-shot cameos.
    >
    >(2) DANCE WITH ME HENRY, which was produced by an indie company, and
    >distributed through United Artists. Universal, however, brought it out
    >on VHS, so they may have acquired it.


    Works for me!
     
    Cato The Elder, May 12, 2004
    #17
  18. On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:38:29 GMT, "djskyler"
    <> wrote:

    >
    >> 'It Ain't Hey' was not included in any set because of a legal issue
    >> with the Damon Runyon estate, since the story is based on a Runyon
    >> yarn. Maybe someday!
    >>

    >The story I heard is that "It Ain't Hay" is formally recognized as a "lost
    >film." There is no longer any known decent 35mm print of it in existence
    >anywhere. You can buy a VHS of it from Movies Unlimited that is mastered
    >from a 16mm print, but that is not acceptable to major studio standards so
    >Universal has no plans to put it on DVD.


    Could be. I heard the legal problem story. Of course, they can
    either or both be true. Thanks for the info!
     
    Cato The Elder, May 12, 2004
    #18
  19. Bratboy

    Ray Guest

    > Yep. I suspect that those 3 legacy sets may be carted out around the
    > time of the 'Van Helsing' DVD release - late October, maybe?


    I recently returned from a trip to Poland where they are selling
    individual Universal monster movies (Bride of Frankenstein, Dracula,
    The Wolf Man, The Invisible Man, The Creature from the Black Lagoon,
    The Mummy and the Phantom of the Opera) in packaging similar in design
    to the Legacy sets. I picked up the Mummy and the Invisible Man - both
    were the original Region 2 releases with new packaging, but the same
    menus. Probably worth waiting for proper legacy boxes unless you
    happen to be in Poland anytime soon, but at around ?6 per disc, I was
    quite pleased with these to sit alongside my Dracula, Frankenstein and
    Wolfman sets.

    Ray.
     
    Ray, Jun 8, 2004
    #19
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jouke Kamstra

    dvd The mummy 1 en 2

    Jouke Kamstra, Jul 7, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    533
    Jouke Kamstra
    Jul 7, 2003
  2. The dog from that film you saw

    FA: DAWN OF THE MUMMY DTS EDITION

    The dog from that film you saw, Jul 26, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    382
    The dog from that film you saw
    Jul 26, 2003
  3. RnR Lesnar

    Monster Legacy

    RnR Lesnar, Apr 21, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    18
    Views:
    731
    jayembee
    Apr 29, 2004
  4. Lookingglass

    Monster Legacy DVDs...

    Lookingglass, Apr 30, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    366
    Lookingglass
    Apr 30, 2004
  5. Kingkeld
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    450
    Kingkeld
    Feb 5, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page