Legacy Devices and Reserving Resources Question

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Bloke_in_a_box, May 4, 2004.

  1. I've managed to get myself confused about when it is, and isn't necessary to
    reserve the resources a legacy device needs.

    For example, lets say I'm installing an ISA network card. I've done my
    research, and the card will need IRQ 5. I'm ignoring the other possible
    resource needs to keep the example simple. Device Manager shows me that IRQ5
    is being used by some random PnP device. To my understanding, here I would
    have to reserve IRQ5 in Device Manager | Computer Properties | Reserve
    Resources , then shut down, physically install the card and reset the ESCD
    in CMOS upon booting.

    My question then, is what if when I checked out Device Manager, there was no
    device using IRQ5? Would I still need to reserve the IRQ to stop something
    other than my legacy device getting shuffled in there when the ESCD was
    reset? I seem to remember that PnP allocates legacy resources first, and
    then PNP but the book doesn't seem clear to me on this.
    Also, if it is necessary to reserve that resource to ESCD shuffle proof it
    (tm), then would I have to reserve ALL the resources (I/O, DMA etc) the
    legacy device would use just to be safe?

    Hope that's not too convoluted. Look forward to someone who has more of a
    clue than I setting me straight.
    Bloke_in_a_box, May 4, 2004

  2. Thanks for the clarification Will :) Sometimes I doubt the description of
    this certification as entry level when I just can't get my head around
    something.

    Bloke_in_a_box, May 4, 2004