    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Jan 14, 2004

  2. Grand Inquisitor

    Murder Guest

    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote in news:XodNb.318$Gs2.12
    @fe1.columbus.rr.com:

    > In the opening graphics that flash before the menu comes up, all the
    > mock Weyland Yutani stuff, you can see several channels listed, one is
    > "Neo-Conservative News Network." Gee, what could *that* be a dig at?
    > Rogue Universal Studios graphic artist or insidious plot? If he was a
    > rogue leftie in Hollywood, how would you know?

    Universal Studios? You mean FOX, don't you? The 20th Century Fox execs
    are the ones who wrote the whole "evil corporation" sub-plot into the story
    in the first place.

    Murder, Jan 14, 2004

  3. >"Neo-Conservative News Network."

    life imitates art

    Vlvetmorning98, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Hollywood taking a pot shot against conservatives? Wow, what a surprise!
    After seeing the mock news special on the Xmen 1 DVD where all the
    Democrat Senators were like "Let's be inclusive of Mutants" and all the
    Rebublican ones were like "Let's burn 'em at the stake" I've pretty much
    given up on any sort of Hollywood fairness to the half of the country
    that calls themselves conservative.

    Forget fairness, how about just plain dramatic variety. How about a
    large corperation in a movie that's not actually evil? As far as
    Hollywood's concerned, the only big corperations that aren't evil are
    Fox, Paramount, Universal, etc.

    SPOILER OF 28 DAYS:

    Was anyone really surprised when the Military turned out to be a bunch
    of raping loons in 28 Days? Not me, because that sort of thing is
    predictable from the Hollywood mindset (even though that's not really a
    Hollywood movie).

    Michael Rogers, Jan 15, 2004
  5. Murder wrote:
    > Grand Inquisitor <> wrote in news:XodNb.318$Gs2.12
    > @fe1.columbus.rr.com:
    >

    >>In the opening graphics that flash before the menu comes up, all the
    >>mock Weyland Yutani stuff, you can see several channels listed, one is
    >>"Neo-Conservative News Network." Gee, what could *that* be a dig at?
    >>Rogue Universal Studios graphic artist or insidious plot? If he was a
    >>rogue leftie in Hollywood, how would you know?

    > Universal Studios? You mean FOX, don't you? The 20th Century Fox execs
    > are the ones who wrote the whole "evil corporation" sub-plot into the story
    > in the first place.

    I guess I did. Why did I say Universal? Hmm, so somebody's trying to
    bring down the system from within, via DVD menu graphics! :-O

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Jan 15, 2004
  6. Grand Inquisitor

    Zinema Guest

    I was wondering how long it would before someone spotted this. Took longer
    than I thought...

    How does including "Neo-Conservative News Network" in the Alien Quad menus
    reflect "left-wing bias?" Because Weyland-Yutani is the "big, evil
    corporation?" I thought they were in the business of "Building Better Worlds."
    Their rogue bio-weapons division aside, they seem to be a very fair and
    balanced organization.

    Besides, Fox approved the menus. You would think that Fox, of all studios,
    would be the ones insulted by this, if they even considered it
    insulting...which, obviously, they didn't, since they approved and released it.

    Remove "nospam" to respond. But you knew that.

    Zinema, Jan 15, 2004
  7. Grand Inquisitor

    Murder Guest

    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote in

    > Murder wrote:
    >> Grand Inquisitor <> wrote in
    >> news:XodNb.318$Gs2.12 @fe1.columbus.rr.com:
    >>

    >>>In the opening graphics that flash before the menu comes up, all the
    >>>mock Weyland Yutani stuff, you can see several channels listed, one
    >>>is "Neo-Conservative News Network." Gee, what could *that* be a dig
    >>>at? Rogue Universal Studios graphic artist or insidious plot? If he
    >>>was a rogue leftie in Hollywood, how would you know?

    >> Universal Studios? You mean FOX, don't you? The 20th Century Fox
    >> execs are the ones who wrote the whole "evil corporation" sub-plot
    >> into the story in the first place.

    > I guess I did. Why did I say Universal? Hmm, so somebody's trying to
    > bring down the system from within, via DVD menu graphics! :-O

    Oh, it's understandable. It just seems like another Universal Monster.
    I think Universal Studios has a big Aliens ride, though I'm not sure how
    that would happen.

    Dan O'Bannon, being something of a conservative, states his displeasure
    that FOX rewrote his screenplay with a corperate robot lackey, and he has
    a point. However, his original screenplay wasn't all that good, aside
    from the brilliantly conceived alien that is. Most fans of the movie
    couldn't imagine it without the android, and it's inclusion does up the
    suspense ante.

    Murder, Jan 15, 2004
  8. Grand Inquisitor

    Murder Guest

    ospam (Zinema) wrote in

    > I was wondering how long it would before someone spotted this. Took
    > longer than I thought...
    >
    > How does including "Neo-Conservative News Network" in the Alien Quad
    > menus reflect "left-wing bias?" Because Weyland-Yutani is the "big,
    > evil corporation?" I thought they were in the business of "Building
    > Better Worlds."
    > Their rogue bio-weapons division aside, they seem to be a very fair
    > and
    > balanced organization.
    >
    > Besides, Fox approved the menus. You would think that Fox, of all
    > studios, would be the ones insulted by this, if they even considered
    > it insulting...which, obviously, they didn't, since they approved and
    > released it.

    You shouldn't confuse 20th Century Fox with Fox News, or even Fox
    Television Network. 20th Century Fox is the parent company, but they are
    distinct entities, politically.

    Murder, Jan 15, 2004
  9. Zinema wrote:
    > I was wondering how long it would before someone spotted this. Took longer
    > than I thought...
    >
    > How does including "Neo-Conservative News Network" in the Alien Quad menus
    > reflect "left-wing bias?" Because Weyland-Yutani is the "big, evil
    > corporation?" I thought they were in the business of "Building Better Worlds."
    > Their rogue bio-weapons division aside, they seem to be a very fair and
    > balanced organization.
    >
    > Besides, Fox approved the menus. You would think that Fox, of all studios,
    > would be the ones insulted by this, if they even considered it
    > insulting...which, obviously, they didn't, since they approved and released it.

    > Remove "nospam" to respond. But you knew that.

    Familiar with the term "tongue-in-cheek"?

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Jan 15, 2004
  10. Grand Inquisitor

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Zinema <> wrote:

    > Besides, Fox approved the menus. You would think that Fox, of all
    > studios, would be the ones insulted by this, if they even considered it
    > insulting...which, obviously, they didn't, since they approved and
    > released it.

    Ah, but...that's assuming intelligence at Fox, my old friend! <g>

    Peter Briggs, Jan 15, 2004
  11. Grand Inquisitor

    Mike Jackson Guest

    > Besides, Fox approved the menus. You would think that Fox, of all
    studios,
    > would be the ones insulted by this, if they even considered it
    > insulting...which, obviously, they didn't, since they approved and

    released it.

    Fox seems to have a sense of humor. Virtually every show on the TV network
    has poked fun at Fox ("The Simpsons" and "Married With Children" being the
    most outrageous "offenders"). There's the gleeful mock warning label at the
    front of "Fight Club." I'm sure there's other examples.

    Well, except for the Fox News Channel, George Bush's little bitch.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com

    Mike Jackson, Jan 15, 2004

  12. > Well, except for the Fox News Channel, George Bush's little bitch.

    Fox is Bush's little bitch because they don't try to slam him every
    chance they get like CNN and ABC?

    Now *that's* funny.

    Michael Rogers, Jan 16, 2004
  13. In article <Xns94718FCA38079steveringispwestcom@129.250.170.96>, Murder
    says...
    > I think Universal Studios has a big Aliens ride, though I'm not sure how
    > that would happen.

    Because Fox doesn't have its own theme park?

    Edward Curtis, Jan 16, 2004
  14. Grand Inquisitor

    Murder Guest

    Edward Curtis <> wrote in

    > In article <Xns94718FCA38079steveringispwestcom@129.250.170.96>,
    > Murder says...
    >> I think Universal Studios has a big Aliens ride, though I'm not sure
    >> how that would happen.

    > Because Fox doesn't have its own theme park?

    I did know that, but the rights would have to be mind-staggeringly
    expensive; particularly since the studios have been fierce competitors from
    the beginning.

    Murder, Jan 16, 2004
  15. >Well, except for the Fox News Channel, George Bush's little bitch.

    I only watch the Canadian News Network. American journalism is a joke.

    Vlvetmorning98, Jan 16, 2004
  16. Grand Inquisitor

    Frode Guest

    Frode, Jan 16, 2004
  17. Grand Inquisitor

    Justin Guest

    Vlvetmorning98 wrote on [16 Jan 2004 05:18:12 GMT]:
    >>Well, except for the Fox News Channel, George Bush's little bitch.

    > I only watch the Canadian News Network. American journalism is a joke.

    You spelled oxymoron wrong.

    Justin, Jan 16, 2004
  18. Grand Inquisitor

    Zinema Guest

    Grand Inquisitor <A HREF="mailto:"></A>
    wrote"

    >Familiar with the term "tongue-in-cheek"?

    I am. Hence my reference to Weyland-Yutani as "fair and balanced."

    Remove "nospam" to respond. But you knew that.

    Zinema, Jan 16, 2004
  19. Grand Inquisitor

    Zinema Guest

    Peter Briggs wrote:

    >Ah, but...that's assuming intelligence at Fox, my old friend! <g>

    True. That's ALWAYS a dangerous assumption with Fox!

    Remove "nospam" to respond. But you knew that.

    Zinema, Jan 16, 2004
  20. Grand Inquisitor

    Mike Jackson Guest

    > > Well, except for the Fox News Channel, George Bush's little bitch.
    >

    > Fox is Bush's little bitch because they don't try to slam him every
    > chance they get like CNN and ABC?
    >
    > Now *that's* funny.

    No, because they fall into lockstep with every policy decision that comes
    out of his administration. There's an obvious bias in favor of every thing
    he does. Objective journalism is seemingly a thing of the past, and it cuts
    both ways, conservative and liberal.

    Mike Jackson, Jan 16, 2004