    I have to reset it to left-handed every time I start the computer.

    Any notion why the setting isn't sticking, or what I can do to make it
    do so?

    Venn, Aug 13, 2007

  2. Venn

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Venn" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I use my mouse on the left, so I switched the primary and secondaary
    > buttons under Control Panel > Mouse in Windows XP. This has worked
    > fine for years. Recently I sat for a weekend, and the kids didn't
    > like mousing left-handed, so I moved the mouse and switched the
    > buttons to right-handed normal while they were here. Fine.
    >
    > I switched the mouse back when they left. The problem now is that
    > every time I reboot, the mouse is right-handed again: the computer
    > has forgotten the "Switch primary and secondary buttons" setting.
    > I have to reset it to left-handed every time I start the computer.
    >
    > Any notion why the setting isn't sticking, or what I can do to make it
    > do so?

    What brand of mouse? I'd suggest getting the latest mouse drivers from the
    manufacturer. Those get updated quite frequently, and most users never get
    the updates installed.

    WhzzKdd, Aug 13, 2007

  3. Venn

    Ben Myers Guest

    "Venn" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I use my mouse on the left, so I switched the primary and secondaary
    > buttons under Control Panel > Mouse in Windows XP. This has worked
    > fine for years. Recently I sat for a weekend, and the kids didn't
    > like mousing left-handed, so I moved the mouse and switched the
    > buttons to right-handed normal while they were here. Fine.
    >
    > I switched the mouse back when they left. The problem now is that
    > every time I reboot, the mouse is right-handed again: the computer
    > has forgotten the "Switch primary and secondary buttons" setting.
    > I have to reset it to left-handed every time I start the computer.
    >
    > Any notion why the setting isn't sticking, or what I can do to make it
    > do so?

    Start regedit, expand and highlight the following keys and look in the
    right window for "NoSaveSettings". If you find it, delete it, reconfigure
    the mouse, then restart the computer.

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Aug 14, 2007
  4. Venn

    Venn Guest

    Ben Myers --
    > Start regedit, expand and highlight the following keys and look in the
    > right window for "NoSaveSettings". If you find it, delete it, reconfigure
    > the mouse, then restart the computer.

    Okay, there's no "NoSaveSettings" under

    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    and there's not even an "Explorer" under "Policies" in

    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    I do however have a "NoSaveSettings" in several other places, such as

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\
    CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Restrictions\NoSaveSettings

    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\
    CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Restrictions\NoSaveSettings

    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\
    CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Restrictions\NoSaveSettings

    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\
    CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Restrictions\NoSaveSettings

    set to zero.

    Venn, Aug 14, 2007
  5. Venn

    Ben Myers Guest

    "Venn" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Okay, there's no "NoSaveSettings" under
    > > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    > and there's not even an "Explorer" under "Policies" in
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    > I do however have a "NoSaveSettings" in several other places, such as
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\
    > CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Restrictions\NoSaveSettings
    > HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\
    > CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Restrictions\NoSaveSettings
    > HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\
    > CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Restrictions\NoSaveSettings
    > HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\
    > CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Restrictions\NoSaveSettings
    > set to zero.

    Open "win.ini" in the Windows or Winnt folder, find the "[windows]"
    section and look for "SwapMouseButtons=1". If you find it, remove
    it and save the change. Also, make sure you are not logging in as a
    "guest" user.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Aug 17, 2007
  6. Venn

    Venn Guest

    Ben Myers --
    > Open "win.ini" in the Windows or Winnt folder, find the "[windows]"
    > section and look for "SwapMouseButtons=1". If you find it, remove
    > it and save the change.

    The file existed, the entry didn't. But after trying various things
    for a week, I found that I was somehow loading a Logitech mouse
    driver, when I use an iOne Scorpius keypad mouse with generic
    windows driver, and deleting the Logitech driver finally got
    Windows to remember the settings across reboots.

    Venn, Aug 18, 2007