leaving pc on

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Richard Daniel, Sep 26, 2003.

  1. ive been told that my comp should be running 24 hours a day is this correct

    Richard Daniel, Sep 26, 2003

  2. Richard Daniel wrote:
    > ive been told that my comp should be running 24 hours a day is this
    > correct

    there WAS a theory some years ago that turning your PC on and off several
    times a day put undue strain on the fan and other components and accelerated
    wear on the "on-Off" button. Haven't heard that for a while, so maybe it's
    been discredited?

    --
    Google is your Friend
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Sep 26, 2003

  3. if you want to pay about 25 euro's per month for the electricetie your pc
    uses yes.
    i don't know wat you want to do with you pc but it is not neccesary to have
    your pc on 24/7

    Maarten Hendrix [Systemec.nl], Sep 26, 2003
  4. Richard Daniel

    Stevo Guest

    Richard Daniel wrote:
    > ive been told that my comp should be running 24 hours a day is this
    > correct

    It's not a black and white issue, how you use your computer is a personal
    choice.. with an electronics background I am familiar with the theory that
    the majority of failures in electronic equipment occur at power up, and
    there is some truth to that.. but it is usually due to repeated shut
    down/power up cycles that cause that..

    But I am also aware of equipment failures due to power surges, brownouts and
    other factors like electrical storms etc.

    Most Windows PC's benefit from a restart, at least once a day. I wouldn't
    advocate turning off the PC every time you get up and walk away to make a
    cuppa or eat lunch, but at the same time, I am not sure you should leave the
    thing on 24/7 unless there is a specific (server, website etc) reason to do
    so. A rough rule of thumb, if you are going to be away for an hour or more,
    and the PC will be doing nothing, then power it down..

    Depending on how you connect to the net, then leaving your machine powered
    up and connected to the net could be a harmful practice unless you take
    other precautions..

    What do you do with your TV? Radio? Hifi/Stereo etc? The same rules apply I
    would think.. and these days unless you are unlucky in your choice of
    PC/PSU manufacturer the chances of failure aren't high.. the use of a UPS
    would improve matters a lot also, good power solves a lot of problems....

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

    Stevo, Sep 26, 2003
  5. Richard Daniel

    Stevo Guest

    Stevo wrote:
    > Richard Daniel wrote:
    >> ive been told that my comp should be running 24 hours a day is this
    >> correct

    > It's not a black and white issue, how you use your computer is a
    > personal choice.. with an electronics background I am familiar with
    > the theory that the majority of failures in electronic equipment
    > occur at power up, and there is some truth to that.. but it is
    > usually due to repeated shut down/power up cycles that cause that..
    >
    > But I am also aware of equipment failures due to power surges,
    > brownouts and other factors like electrical storms etc.
    >
    > Most Windows PC's benefit from a restart, at least once a day. I
    > wouldn't advocate turning off the PC every time you get up and walk
    > away to make a cuppa or eat lunch, but at the same time, I am not
    > sure you should leave the thing on 24/7 unless there is a specific
    > (server, website etc) reason to do so. A rough rule of thumb, if you
    > are going to be away for an hour or more, and the PC will be doing
    > nothing, then power it down..
    >
    > Depending on how you connect to the net, then leaving your machine
    > powered up and connected to the net could be a harmful practice
    > unless you take other precautions..
    >
    > What do you do with your TV? Radio? Hifi/Stereo etc? The same rules
    > apply I would think.. and these days unless you are unlucky in your
    > choice of PC/PSU manufacturer the chances of failure aren't high..
    > the use of a UPS would improve matters a lot also, good power solves
    > a lot of problems....

    And of course, there IS the enviromental concerns to consider...

    Stevo, Sep 26, 2003
  6. Richard Daniel

    Herbert West Guest

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:03:56 +0100, "Gordon Burgess-Parker"
    <> wrote:

    >Richard Daniel wrote:
    >> ive been told that my comp should be running 24 hours a day is this
    >> correct

    >there WAS a theory some years ago that turning your PC on and off several
    >times a day put undue strain on the fan and other components and accelerated
    >wear on the "on-Off" button. Haven't heard that for a while, so maybe it's
    >been discredited?

    It also contributed to such effects known as "thermal cycling" and
    "chip-creep." The pins of socketed IC's would expand and shrink with
    the cycle causing them to loosen in time. I've seen a couple cases
    where the chip actually managed to creep entirely out of the socket!
    That was in the days of 286's, and few, if any IC's are socketed
    nowadays. It's all that throwaway surface mount stuff.

    -herb-

    Herbert West, Sep 26, 2003
  7. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:3f74017b$,
    Gordon Burgess-Parker <> typed
    || Richard Daniel wrote:
    ||| ive been told that my comp should be running 24 hours a day is this
    ||| correct
    || there WAS a theory some years ago that turning your PC on and off
    || several times a day put undue strain on the fan and other components
    || and accelerated wear on the "on-Off" button. Haven't heard that for
    || a while, so maybe it's been discredited?

    I don't think strain on the fan was ever an issue. More like hard drives
    spining up, cathode ray tubes firing up, that sort of thing.

    Of course if it had been discredited there'd be no need for Advanced Power
    Management...

    ---
    Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.

    Robert de Brus, Sep 26, 2003
  8. Richard Daniel

    Gareth Slee Guest

    "Stevo" <> wrote in message

    > What do you do with your TV? Radio? Hifi/Stereo etc?

    Yeah, but my TV, Radio, Hifi/Stereo doesnt take ~2 minutes to become
    usuable.

    --
    Gareth Slee

    http://www.garethslee.com
    http://www.lapie.com

    Gareth Slee, Sep 26, 2003
  9. Do you leave your car running when you are not using it? It won't hurt it
    you know. And you won't wear out your starter and battery so fast.

    BananaPannaPoe-, Sep 26, 2003
  10. Richard Daniel

    Unknown Guest

    If two minutes bothers you, leave it on. Lots of luck.

    Unknown, Sep 26, 2003
  11. Richard Daniel

    coonass~ Guest

    2 each their own...if you do make damm sure the fans are kept clean
    and might even add a 2nd case fan.

    coonass~, Sep 26, 2003
  12. Richard Daniel

    coonass~ Guest

    m fuckin' pressed i am

    coonass~, Sep 26, 2003
  13. On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:00:46 +0100, "Richard Daniel"
    <> wrote:

    >ive been told that my comp should be running 24 hours a day is this correct

    Not me!! I have heard of too many people loosing equipment due to
    lightning in theior area.

    When I not at home or overnight I always turn it off and unplug both
    the power and phone lines from the wall sockets. This reduces the risk
    of damage to equipment from power surges and lightning strikes.

    --
    Paulie

    Pauline Johnson, Sep 27, 2003
  14. Richard Daniel

    Ima Goodlay Guest

    <> wrote:

    >ive been told that my comp should be running 24 hours a day is this correct

    -----

    During the late 1980's I told my staff to leave their PC's on at
    night. Never had a problem with the computers but two monitors went
    out so I went to a nightly cut-off policy.

    Any comments about running today's monitors on a 24/7 basis?

    -----

    Ima Goodlay, Sep 27, 2003
  15. Richard Daniel

    bi241 Guest

    it's a trade off between engergy consumption and durability (and
    convenience)

    of all tools and devices that man ever made, computer processors have
    the worst energy efficiency, my guesstimate is no more than 0.01% of
    total engery comsumed is used to move bits and bytes around, the rest
    99.99% is heat!!!! same efficiency may apply to harddrive... memory...
    until nanotech is a reality... we are stuck with silicon for
    computing... that's how silicon works... not good but absolutely
    better than vacuum tube transistor, no?

    modern CPUs consume much more energy and dissipate more heat than
    those of say, five years ago. remember when it took only a passive
    heatsink to cool the processor? nowadays, some boxes can be used as
    furnace... if there is not enough fans (and electricity to run
    them).... LOL

    so it may be wise to turn the comp off when not needed.

    not quite, cus when you turn the comp on, a lot of stress is being put
    on its components especially the hard drive. "clack.. clack.. clack"
    sounds familiar, yes? the drive might die soon and go with it your
    data...

    i back up my drive daily and set up my comp to turn off my monitor
    after 10 minutes and i turn it off competely if i am not at home or at
    night....

    cheers

    bi241, Sep 27, 2003
  16. Richard Daniel

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Ima Goodlay mused:

    | During the late 1980's I told my staff to leave their PC's on at
    | night. Never had a problem with the computers but two monitors went
    | out so I went to a nightly cut-off policy.
    |
    | Any comments about running today's monitors on a 24/7 basis?

    Probably should have set the power settings to at least put the monitors
    in Standby after a certain amount of idle time. If you did that, then it
    wasn't having the computers on that caused them to go bad ...

    The monitor is actually the biggest power consumer. Get that thing into
    standby as often as you can to save power. I seem to recall reading an
    article that showed some monitors using more power than the rest of the
    computer's components put together.

    mhicaoidh, Sep 28, 2003
  17. Richard Daniel

    Paul - xxx Guest

    mhicaoidh tried to scribble ...

    > Taking a moment's reflection, Ima Goodlay mused:
    >>
    >> During the late 1980's I told my staff to leave their PC's on at
    >> night. Never had a problem with the computers but two monitors went
    >> out so I went to a nightly cut-off policy.
    >>
    >> Any comments about running today's monitors on a 24/7 basis?

    > Probably should have set the power settings to at least put the
    > monitors in Standby after a certain amount of idle time. If you did
    > that, then it wasn't having the computers on that caused them to go
    > bad ...
    >
    > The monitor is actually the biggest power consumer. Get that
    > thing into standby as often as you can to save power. I seem to
    > recall reading an article that showed some monitors using more power
    > than the rest of the computer's components put together.

    I agree. I rarely use the power save features on the computer, but I always
    set monitors to power off as soon as the screensaver kicks in .. ;)

    --
    Our old car for Auction http://tinyurl.com/osdj

    Paul - xxx, Sep 28, 2003