    Tim923 Guest

    Is there any problem with leaving the mic part of the headset plugged
    in all the time?
    Tim923, Feb 3, 2005

  2. Tim923

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Tim923 wrote:
    > Is there any problem with leaving the mic part of the headset
    > plugged in all the time?

    Why would there be..?

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Feb 3, 2005

  3. Tim923

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Tim923 wrote:
    >> Is there any problem with leaving the mic part of the headset
    >> plugged in all the time?

    >Why would there be..?

    If you're the type of person that installs spyware, viruses, or other
    junk on a regular basis then you need to be aware that someone could be
    listening in -- But chances are none of us here (myself included) have
    anything interesting enough to be worth spying on.

    --
    Yeah man, I tell ya what, man. That dang ol'
    Internet, man. You just go on there and point
    DevilsPGD, Feb 3, 2005
  4. Tim923

    Ivor Jones Guest

    DevilsPGD wrote:
    > In message <> "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Tim923 wrote:
    >>> Is there any problem with leaving the mic part of the headset
    >>> plugged in all the time?

    >> Why would there be..?

    > If you're the type of person that installs spyware, viruses, or
    > other junk on a regular basis then you need to be aware that
    > someone could be listening in -- But chances are none of us here
    > (myself included) have anything interesting enough to be worth
    > spying on.

    Shouldn't you be more concerned with checking that you *haven't* got any
    spyware..??!!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Feb 3, 2005
  5. Tim923

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >DevilsPGD wrote:
    >> In message <> "Ivor Jones"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Why would there be..?

    >> If you're the type of person that installs spyware, viruses, or
    >> other junk on a regular basis then you need to be aware that
    >> someone could be listening in -- But chances are none of us here
    >> (myself included) have anything interesting enough to be worth
    >> spying on.

    >Shouldn't you be more concerned with checking that you *haven't* got any
    >spyware..??!!

    You'd think, but the way people seem to install spyware these days, I
    just assume people have spyware installed.

    --
    'Tis far better to have snipped too much than to never have snipped at all.
    DevilsPGD, Feb 3, 2005
  6. Tim923

    Ivor Jones Guest

    DevilsPGD wrote:
    > In message <> "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:

    [snip]

    >> Shouldn't you be more concerned with checking that you *haven't*
    >> got any spyware..??!!

    > You'd think, but the way people seem to install spyware these days,
    > I just assume people have spyware installed.

    You won't find any here :)

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Feb 3, 2005
  7. Tim923

    Tim923 Guest

    I was having some hard drive type noise coming out of my speaker that
    seemed to happen after I used my headset, making me wonder if the
    headset had anything to do with it. That's why I asked. It may be
    the cheap built-in sound card.
    Tim923, Feb 3, 2005
  8. Tim923

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >DevilsPGD wrote:
    >> In message <> "Ivor Jones"
    >> <> wrote:

    >[snip]
    >
    >>> Shouldn't you be more concerned with checking that you *haven't*
    >>> got any spyware..??!!

    >> You'd think, but the way people seem to install spyware these days,
    >> I just assume people have spyware installed.

    >You won't find any here :)

    You and me both. I've run without virus scanners for several years now,
    although I do occasionally scan my system with a couple AV solutions
    plus a couple spyware scanners, and aside from cookies (since when are
    cookies spyware?) I haven't had a legitimate hit in years.

    Interestingly enough an app a friend and I developed back in the late
    90s is now on NAV's virus list. It was just a simple (one click)
    install a FTP server and some remote control software, plus a home grown
    precursor-to-dynamic-DNS client to make remote troubleshooting easier.

    --
    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig
    DevilsPGD, Feb 3, 2005
  9. Tim923

    Ivor Jones Guest

    DevilsPGD wrote:

    [snip]

    > You and me both. I've run without virus scanners for several years
    > now, although I do occasionally scan my system with a couple AV
    > solutions plus a couple spyware scanners, and aside from cookies
    > (since when are cookies spyware?) I haven't had a legitimate hit in
    > years.

    Cookies can report back what you've been doing, where you've been on the
    web etc. so I don't like them for that reason. Not spyware in the strict
    sense of the word but I still delete them on a daily basis. It keeps
    getting me popups asking if I want to accept cookies every time I go on
    eBay or wherever, but at least I know what's going on.

    > Interestingly enough an app a friend and I developed back in the
    > late 90s is now on NAV's virus list. It was just a simple (one
    > click) install a FTP server and some remote control software, plus
    > a home grown precursor-to-dynamic-DNS client to make remote
    > troubleshooting easier.

    I have trouble occasionally with an old DOS application I sometimes use.
    It's a remote control program that lets you take over the screen and
    keyboard of another computer under the IPX protocol, which I use to
    monitor a standalone DOS PC that's on my system. Norton Antivirus flags it
    as a trojan, which of course it is, but it was designed to be..! I keep
    adding it to the known applications list but it keeps deleting itself
    somehow ;-)

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Feb 4, 2005