leaving ihug ADSL to go to xtra ADSL, am I mad??

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Max

    Max Guest

    On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 17:22:52 +1000, "Mark"
    <0SPAM> wrote:

    >It seems that Xtra offer unlimited 256 down 128 up for $69.95 (Bandwidth
    >throttled after 10 gig) whilst Ihug offer 128 down, 128 up unlimited (Again
    >bandwidth throttled after 10 gig) for $64.90. So, for an xtra (Excuse the
    >pun) $5 a month I get twice as fast Internet.... I am seriously thinking of
    >leaving ihug ADSL to go to xtra ADSL, am I mad??
    >
    >Cheers
    >Mark

    I would too, but don't you have to pay a signup fee with xtra? Maybe
    also a disconnection fee with ihug (some companies do charge a
    disconnection fee for online services)
    Max, Mar 7, 2004

  2. Max

    steve Guest

    Mark wrote:

    > It seems that Xtra offer unlimited 256 down 128 up for $69.95 (Bandwidth
    > throttled after 10 gig) whilst Ihug offer 128 down, 128 up unlimited
    > (Again bandwidth throttled after 10 gig) for $64.90. So, for an xtra
    > (Excuse the pun) $5 a month I get twice as fast Internet.... I am
    > seriously thinking of leaving ihug ADSL to go to xtra ADSL, am I mad??
    >
    > Cheers
    > Mark

    Are you comparing new Xtra plan with old ihug plan?

    Try calling ihug and asking if they will offer a plan like Xtra's soon.....

    Mark, Mar 7, 2004
  4. Max

    Chris Guest

    "Mark" <0SPAM> wrote in

    > It seems that Xtra offer unlimited 256 down 128 up for $69.95
    > (Bandwidth throttled after 10 gig) whilst Ihug offer 128 down, 128 up
    > unlimited (Again bandwidth throttled after 10 gig) for $64.90. So, for
    > an xtra (Excuse the pun) $5 a month I get twice as fast Internet.... I
    > am seriously thinking of leaving ihug ADSL to go to xtra ADSL, am I
    > mad??
    >
    > Cheers
    > Mark

    What about this ?
    http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/jetstream/jetsurf/
    I'm sure other ISP's will have something to offer

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Mar 7, 2004
  5. Max

    Starkey Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 20:16:33 +1300, steve <> wrote:

    >Mark wrote:
    >
    >> It seems that Xtra offer unlimited 256 down 128 up for $69.95 (Bandwidth
    >> throttled after 10 gig) whilst Ihug offer 128 down, 128 up unlimited
    >> (Again bandwidth throttled after 10 gig) for $64.90. So, for an xtra
    >> (Excuse the pun) $5 a month I get twice as fast Internet.... I am
    >> seriously thinking of leaving ihug ADSL to go to xtra ADSL, am I mad??
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Mark

    >Are you comparing new Xtra plan with old ihug plan?
    >
    >Try calling ihug and asking if they will offer a plan like Xtra's soon.....

    i would wait until other isps offer 256k at an ok cost(under breath
    yeah right)
    Starkey, Mar 7, 2004
  6. Max

    JF Guest

    "Starkey" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 20:16:33 +1300, steve <> wrote:
    >
    > >Mark wrote:
    > >
    > >> It seems that Xtra offer unlimited 256 down 128 up for $69.95

    (Bandwidth
    > >> throttled after 10 gig) whilst Ihug offer 128 down, 128 up unlimited
    > >> (Again bandwidth throttled after 10 gig) for $64.90. So, for an xtra
    > >> (Excuse the pun) $5 a month I get twice as fast Internet.... I am
    > >> seriously thinking of leaving ihug ADSL to go to xtra ADSL, am I mad??
    > >>
    > >> Cheers
    > >> Mark

    > >Are you comparing new Xtra plan with old ihug plan?
    > >
    > >Try calling ihug and asking if they will offer a plan like Xtra's

    soon.....

    > i would wait until other isps offer 256k at an ok cost(under breath
    > yeah right)

    You mean, under $9.95/month (cost of Xtra and Orcon) ?
    JF, Mar 7, 2004
  7. Max

    steve Guest

    Starkey wrote:

    > i would wait until other isps offer 256k at an ok cost(under breath
    > yeah right)

    They may. If you have been following the activities of the
    Telecommunications Commissioner, they seem directed toward making 256k ADSL
    available on a competitive basis.

    We will have to wait and see....but it appears that Xtra - as usual - is
    first cab off the rank in making the new offering. Telecom always likes to
    let it's own ISP go first. This is their utterly bent idea of
    "competition"....which is why the office of Telecommunications Comissioner
    was created in the first place.
    steve, Mar 7, 2004
  8. Max

    Chris Guest

    steve <> wrote in

    > Starkey wrote:
    >
    >> i would wait until other isps offer 256k at an ok cost(under breath
    >> yeah right)

    > They may. If you have been following the activities of the
    > Telecommunications Commissioner, they seem directed toward making 256k
    > ADSL available on a competitive basis.
    >
    > We will have to wait and see....but it appears that Xtra - as usual -
    > is first cab off the rank in making the new offering. Telecom always
    > likes to let it's own ISP go first. This is their utterly bent idea of
    > "competition"....which is why the office of Telecommunications
    > Comissioner was created in the first place.

    Other ISP's are offering the same deal

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Mar 7, 2004
  9. Max

    Starkey Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 07:29:34 GMT, Chris <> wrote:

    >"Mark" <0SPAM> wrote in
    >
    >> It seems that Xtra offer unlimited 256 down 128 up for $69.95
    >> (Bandwidth throttled after 10 gig) whilst Ihug offer 128 down, 128 up
    >> unlimited (Again bandwidth throttled after 10 gig) for $64.90. So, for
    >> an xtra (Excuse the pun) $5 a month I get twice as fast Internet.... I
    >> am seriously thinking of leaving ihug ADSL to go to xtra ADSL, am I
    >> mad??
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Mark
    >>

    >What about this ?
    >http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/jetstream/jetsurf/
    >I'm sure other ISP's will have something to offer

    yeah i might give it a go im with orcon ill try it for a month the 10
    gig sounds like a plan
    Starkey, Mar 7, 2004
  10. Max

    MarkH Guest

    "Mark" <0SPAM> wrote in

    > It seems that Xtra offer unlimited 256 down 128 up for $69.95
    > (Bandwidth throttled after 10 gig) whilst Ihug offer 128 down, 128 up
    > unlimited (Again bandwidth throttled after 10 gig) for $64.90. So, for
    > an xtra (Excuse the pun) $5 a month I get twice as fast Internet.... I
    > am seriously thinking of leaving ihug ADSL to go to xtra ADSL, am I
    > mad??

    Ihug have changed to 128 up/down throttled after 20GB international with
    all the national traffic you feel like. The new Xtra deal makes no mention
    of national traffic, so I would assume everything including E-Mail and
    Newsgroups would count to that cap.

    I would also assume that in the interest of being competitive IHUG will be
    putting together a package to rival Xtra’s. I am hoping for a better deal
    with national traffic excluded and maybe a 20GB option.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Mar 7, 2004
  11. Max

    colinco Guest

    In article <c2f1bg$rsf$>, says...
    > I would also assume that in the interest of being competitive IHUG will be
    > putting together a package to rival Xtra’s. I am hoping for a better deal
    > with national traffic excluded and maybe a 20GB option.

    It would seem that Telecom is managing the bandwidth/charging of the 256
    plans leaving little or no room for ISPs to vary the package.
    colinco, Mar 7, 2004
  12. Max

    MarkH Guest

    colinco <> wrote in

    > In article <c2f1bg$rsf$>,
    > says...
    >> I would also assume that in the interest of being competitive IHUG
    >> will b

    >> putting together a package to rival Xtra’s. I am hoping for a better

    > eal
    >> with national traffic excluded and maybe a 20GB option.
    >>

    > It would seem that Telecom is managing the bandwidth/charging of the
    > 256 plans leaving little or no room for ISPs to vary the package.

    Yes, it would appear that you are correct, pity.

    MarkH, Mar 7, 2004
  13. Max

    samg Guest

    MarkH <> wrote in news:c2f1bg$rsf$:

    > Ihug have changed to 128 up/down throttled after 20GB international
    > with all the national traffic you feel like. The new Xtra deal makes
    > no mention of national traffic, so I would assume everything including
    > E-Mail and Newsgroups would count to that cap.

    damn 20GB is pretty sweet, bit less so after I read this

    FREE National Data, 5,000MB Peak International Data (2pm -2am), 15,000MB
    Off-peak International Data (2am-2pm).
    Thereafter unlimited data at dial up speed.

    so what happens if you exceed 5GB at peak times?
    samg, Mar 7, 2004
  14. Max

    KaTnDaHaT Guest

    maybe a 20GB option.

    >> It would seem that Telecom is managing the bandwidth/charging of the
    >> 256 plans leaving little or no room for ISPs to vary the package.

    >Yes, it would appear that you are correct, pity.

    Telecom is required to provide a true wholesale DSL option for the market and
    are meant to be doing this. They are as usual trying to grab market share by
    promoting a non wholesale product prior to the market being able to respond. As
    both Douglas Webb and the Commerce Commission have no testicles we find
    ourselves in yet another large corporate pays off government fucks over
    consumer situation. They all need to have a posting to the ACCC to grow some
    spine.

    Theresa Gattung and Telecom is as ever just mutton dressed up as Lamb.

    Note this article:

    Telstra faces ADSL fines
    Kate Mackenzie
    MARCH 05, 2004

    TELSTRA has been given until Tuesday to resolve a dispute with the competition
    watchdog over its broadband ADSL pricing, or face fines worth millions of
    dollars.

    The Australian Competition and Consumer yesterday issued Telstra with an
    Consultation Notice, the precursor to a Competition Notice which provides for a
    $1 million fine for each day of anti-competitive behaviour, and opens the door
    for legal action from competitors.
    The ACCC's latest investigation of Telstra's broadband pricing began three
    weeks ago, after Telstra's internet service provider, BigPond, lowered the
    price of its cheapest broadband product to $29.95 - less than the price it
    charges hundreds of other ISPs who compete with BigPond in selling broadband to
    consumers.

    The ACCC last week issued Telstra with an formal warning in the form of an
    Advisory Notice. The telco responded the next day by lowering its wholesale
    prices by a few dollars to $29.75 ex-GST, but its ISP customers said the
    discount was not adequate.

    A midday meeting between Telstra and the ACCC at the watchdog's Melbourne
    offices today ended after five minutes when Telstra was informed of the
    Consultation Notice.

    Telstra's group managing director of regulatory, corporate and human relations,
    Bill Scales, said the ACCC was conducting a "show trial" and had not given the
    company an opportunity to negotiate or defend itself with imputation tests it
    had carried out to gauge whether other ISPs could profitably compete.

    "The commission has said to us they don't know whether it conforms to the the
    imputation test. If they don't know that, how do they know whether or not we've
    broken the law?"

    ACCC chairman Graeme Samuel said his door had been ever since concerns were
    first raised in mid-February, and Telstra had failed to prove it had not acted
    anti-competitively.

    "They know what they need to do is to put material in front of us and engage in
    a discussion about what is a fair price for wholesale customers," Mr Samuel
    said.

    ACCC general manager for telecommunications Michael Cosgrave said the
    commission had to act quickly on the evidence to minimise the damage to
    BigPond's competitors.

    Mr Cosgrave said the ACCC wanted to avoid a lengthy dispute over what it
    believed was a price squeeze, because other competitors could be damaged if it
    were not resolved quickly.

    In 2001 the ACCC issued a Competition Notice to Telstra after months of
    investigation into an almost identical broadband pricing conflict. That notice
    led Telstra to drop its wholesale broadband price by 30 per cent, spurring ISPs
    to begin competing in the previously tiny broadband market.

    "If you get to the position there is a price squeeze and you take months and
    months to get to it, the damage is already done," Mr Cosgrave said.
    KaTnDaHaT, Mar 7, 2004
  15. Max

    colinco Guest

    In article <c2gbc9$m27$>, says...
    > Telecom is required to provide a true wholesale DSL option for the market and
    > are meant to be doing this. They are as usual trying to grab market share by
    > promoting a non wholesale product prior to the market being able to respond.

    This is perhaps the 1st time this has been put so plainly.

    So why aren't you roasting their nuts over this instead of going for
    full unbundle that will take even more time to sort out?
    colinco, Mar 7, 2004
  16. Max

    EMB Guest

    "KaTnDaHaT" <> wrote in message

    > Telecom is required to provide a true wholesale DSL option for the market

    and
    > are meant to be doing this. They are as usual trying to grab market share

    by
    > promoting a non wholesale product prior to the market being able to

    respond. As
    > both Douglas Webb and the Commerce Commission have no testicles we find
    > ourselves in yet another large corporate pays off government fucks over
    > consumer situation. They all need to have a posting to the ACCC to grow

    some
    > spine.

    Thank you Mr Wood for the honest and insightful comment.

    EMB
    EMB, Mar 8, 2004