    the US.

    Enjoy.

    < http://snipurl.com/ojs8z >

    Aardvark, Aug 2, 2009

  2. Aardvark

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Aardvark Post:
    > An affectionate although warts-and-all look at America from Justin Webb,
    > the BBC's North America editor, returning to the UK after eight years in
    > the US.
    >
    > Enjoy.
    >
    > < http://snipurl.com/ojs8z>

    Quite impressive. Thank You for sharing.

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Aug 2, 2009

  3. In message <jQkdm.121076$2>, Aardvark wrote:
    > An affectionate although warts-and-all look at America from Justin Webb,
    > the BBC's North America editor, returning to the UK after eight years in
    > the US.
    >
    > Enjoy.
    >
    > < http://snipurl.com/ojs8z >

    Hes going back to government mandated cameras installed in citizens homes:
    http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/115736/Sin-bins-for-worst-families

    Sounds like the UK is livin Orwells dream.

    --
    Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
    http://www.ramusa.org/

    §ñühw¤£f, Aug 2, 2009
  4. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 15:41:52 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

    > In message <jQkdm.121076$2>, Aardvark wrote:
    >> An affectionate although warts-and-all look at America from Justin
    >> Webb, the BBC's North America editor, returning to the UK after eight
    >> years in the US.
    >>
    >> Enjoy.
    >>
    >> < http://snipurl.com/ojs8z >

    > Hes going back to government mandated cameras installed in citizens
    > homes:
    > http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/115736/Sin-bins-for-worst-families
    >
    > Sounds like the UK is livin Orwells dream.

    "“This is pretty tough and non-negotiable support for families to get to
    the root of the problem. There should be Family Intervention Projects in
    every local authority area because every area has families that need
    support.â€"

    Tough love. If it works, I'm all for it.

    Aardvark, Aug 2, 2009
  5. Aardvark

    Unbeliever Guest

    §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    > In message <jQkdm.121076$2>, Aardvark wrote:
    >> An affectionate although warts-and-all look at America from Justin
    >> Webb, the BBC's North America editor, returning to the UK after
    >> eight years in the US.
    >>
    >> Enjoy.
    >>
    >> < http://snipurl.com/ojs8z >

    > Hes going back to government mandated cameras installed in citizens
    > homes:
    > http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/115736/Sin-bins-for-worst-families
    >
    > Sounds like the UK is livin Orwells dream.

    Very often in this country - what the politician says never happens.

    As for "Orwells dream", then this country is following that road as a result
    of Dubya's ill-thought out reaction to 9/11 which has in fact made the whole
    world a far more dangerous place to live in - and as a result, has given
    governments world-wide (including the 'states), a fantastic 'opportunity' to
    up their levels of surveillance of the population (including those in the
    'states [where Echelon was born to spy on the internet]).

    And again, that is the result of American paranoia of terrorism.

    But at least our citizens don't go around ripping foetuses out of their
    mothers just for the hell of it!

    Unbeliever, Aug 2, 2009
  6. Aardvark wrote:
    > An affectionate although warts-and-all look at America from Justin Webb,
    > the BBC's North America editor, returning to the UK after eight years in
    > the US.
    >
    > Enjoy.
    >
    > < http://snipurl.com/ojs8z >

    He's going back to their marvellous universal health system (NHS); best
    tv and radio in the world bar none, and a public transport system which
    is generally fine and much better than anything the US can offer.

    Oh and a less corrupt political process, much less intrusive religious
    life, better public schools, friendlier police.

    It's also close enough to Paris to wander over for a weekend of
    boisterous shagging and eating les eclair.

    Bon appetit!

    Caulfield Man, Aug 3, 2009
  7. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 09:36:04 +1000, Caulfield Man wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >> An affectionate although warts-and-all look at America from Justin
    >> Webb, the BBC's North America editor, returning to the UK after eight
    >> years in the US.
    >>
    >> Enjoy.
    >>
    >> < http://snipurl.com/ojs8z >

    > He's going back to their marvellous universal health system (NHS); best
    > tv and radio in the world bar none, and a public transport system which
    > is generally fine and much better than anything the US can offer.
    >
    > Oh and a less corrupt political process, much less intrusive religious
    > life, better public schools, friendlier police.
    >
    > It's also close enough to Paris to wander over for a weekend of
    > boisterous shagging and eating les eclair.
    >
    > Bon appetit!

    :)

    Aardvark, Aug 3, 2009
  8. Unbeliever wrote:

    > But at least our citizens don't go around ripping foetuses out of their
    > mothers just for the hell of it!

    Gee I dunno, they might do that here but we wouldn't really know, what a
    woman does with *her* body is *her* business.

    Caulfield Man, Aug 3, 2009
  9. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 20:17:27 +1000, Caulfield Man wrote:

    > Unbeliever wrote:
    >

    >> But at least our citizens don't go around ripping foetuses out of their
    >> mothers just for the hell of it!
    >>

    > Gee I dunno, they might do that here but we wouldn't really know, what a
    > woman does with *her* body is *her* business.

    Of course. I think, though, that the powers-that-be here would have issues
    with what a woman does with *another* woman's body.

    :)

    Aardvark, Aug 3, 2009
  10. Aardvark <> pinched out a steaming pile
    of<pgodm.92486$2>:

    >On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 15:41:52 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    >
    >> In message <jQkdm.121076$2>, Aardvark wrote:
    >>> An affectionate although warts-and-all look at America from Justin
    >>> Webb, the BBC's North America editor, returning to the UK after

    eight
    >>> years in the US.
    >>>
    >>> Enjoy.
    >>>
    >>> < http://snipurl.com/ojs8z >

    >> Hes going back to government mandated cameras installed in citizens
    >> homes:
    >> http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/115736/Sin-bins-for-worst-

    families

    >> Sounds like the UK is livin Orwells dream.

    >"“This is pretty tough and non-negotiable support for families to

    get to
    >the root of the problem. There should be Family Intervention Projects

    in
    >every local authority area because every area has families that need
    >support.â€"
    >
    >Tough love. If it works, I'm all for it.

    Its the "slippery slope" phenomenon at work.
    You get the public used to *some* people haveing their rights infringed
    on for some spurious claim like "safety" or "the public good" and after
    a while you add more and more people to the category of people who Need
    To Have Their Rights Limited.

    Get it?
    Never grant government any power you dont want to become permanent.
    HTH

    §ñühw¤£f, Aug 3, 2009
  11. Rôgêr <> pinched out a steaming pile
    of<>:

    >§ñühw¤£f wrote:
    >> In message <jQkdm.121076$2>, Aardvark wrote:
    >>> An affectionate although warts-and-all look at America from Justin

    Webb,
    >>> the BBC's North America editor, returning to the UK after eight

    years in
    >>> the US.
    >>>
    >>> Enjoy.
    >>>
    >>> < http://snipurl.com/ojs8z >

    >> Hes going back to government mandated cameras installed in citizens

    homes:
    >> http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/115736/Sin-bins-for-worst-

    families

    >> Sounds like the UK is livin Orwells dream.

    >Thank goodness the US gov't never spies on it's own citizens.

    We do it secretly. And ramming it down our throats dosent work quite as
    well. We do after all have the ACLU. Is there a UK equivalent?
    Hmmm...

    §ñühw¤£f, Aug 3, 2009
  12. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 14:21:08 +0000, §ñühw€£f wrote:

    > Aardvark <> pinched out a steaming pile
    > of<pgodm.92486$2>:

    > eight

    >>> Hes going back to government mandated cameras installed in citizens
    >>> homes:
    >>> http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/115736/Sin-bins-for-worst-

    > families
    >>>
    >>> Sounds like the UK is livin Orwells dream.

    >>"“This is pretty tough and non-negotiable support for families to

    > get to
    >>the root of the problem. There should be Family Intervention Projects

    > in
    >>every local authority area because every area has families that need
    >>support.â€"
    >>
    >>Tough love. If it works, I'm all for it.
    >>

    > Its the "slippery slope" phenomenon at work. You get the public used to
    > *some* people haveing their rights infringed on for some spurious claim
    > like "safety" or "the public good" and after a while you add more and
    > more people to the category of people who Need To Have Their Rights
    > Limited.

    One of the comments to the article likened it to boiling a frog in a pan
    of water to good effect.

    The thing is, in this country there are so many feral teenagers running
    loose that it's beyond a joke. A good mate of mine often says 'There's no
    such thing as a bad kid, bad parents are the problem'. I tend to agree
    with this statement, in the main.

    If this system is used solely to spy on families then it's a waste of
    money. If it is, in fact, being used as a tool to monitor interaction
    between parents and their children in near real time and a professional
    support mechanism is in place to point out to the families areas in which
    their behaviour can be improved upon and help them to achieve something
    approaching normality and the children their potential in as many cases as
    possible, then I can see it as good for society as a whole.

    > Get it?
    > Never grant government any power you dont want to become permanent. HTH

    It's a razor's edge that we're treading here, I agree.

    Aardvark, Aug 3, 2009
  13. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 14:24:19 +0000, §ñühw€£f wrote:

    > Rôgêr <> pinched out a steaming pile
    > of<>:
    >
    >>§ñühw€£f wrote:

    > Webb,

    > years in

    >>> Hes going back to government mandated cameras installed in citizens

    > homes:
    >>> http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/115736/Sin-bins-for-worst-

    > families
    >>>
    >>> Sounds like the UK is livin Orwells dream.

    >>Thank goodness the US gov't never spies on it's own citizens.
    >>

    > We do it secretly. And ramming it down our throats dosent work quite as
    > well. We do after all have the ACLU. Is there a UK equivalent? Hmmm...

    The European Court of Human Rights, ultimately.

    Aardvark, Aug 3, 2009
  14. In message <85Ddm.136370$2>, Aardvark wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 14:21:08 +0000, §ñühw€£f wrote:
    >
    > > Aardvark <> pinched out a steaming pile
    > > of<pgodm.92486$2>:

    > > eight

    > > families

    > >>"“This is pretty tough and non-negotiable support for families to

    > > get to
    > >>the root of the problem. There should be Family Intervention Projects

    > > in
    > >>every local authority area because every area has families that need
    > >>support.â€"
    > >>
    > >>Tough love. If it works, I'm all for it.
    > >>

    > > Its the "slippery slope" phenomenon at work. You get the public used to
    > > *some* people haveing their rights infringed on for some spurious claim
    > > like "safety" or "the public good" and after a while you add more and
    > > more people to the category of people who Need To Have Their Rights
    > > Limited.
    > >

    > One of the comments to the article likened it to boiling a frog in a pan
    > of water to good effect.
    >
    > The thing is, in this country there are so many feral teenagers running
    > loose that it's beyond a joke. A good mate of mine often says 'There's no
    > such thing as a bad kid, bad parents are the problem'. I tend to agree
    > with this statement, in the main.

    You guys dont have the level of gang violence we do.
    Mostly because we have LOTS OF GUNS. And perhaps because in uhmurikuh we
    glorify violence anyway.

    > If this system is used solely to spy on families then it's a waste of
    > money. If it is, in fact, being used as a tool to monitor interaction
    > between parents and their children in near real time and a professional
    > support mechanism is in place to point out to the families areas in which
    > their behaviour can be improved upon and help them to achieve something
    > approaching normality and the children their potential in as many cases as
    > possible, then I can see it as good for society as a whole.

    Why not just asign a case worker to each family?
    Why the need for 24/7 surveillance?

    > > Get it?
    > > Never grant government any power you dont want to become permanent. HTH

    > It's a razor's edge that we're treading here, I agree.

    My siggy is my answer :)

    §ñühw¤£f, Aug 3, 2009
  15. In message <66Ddm.136430$2>, Aardvark wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 14:24:19 +0000, §ñühw€£f wrote:
    >
    > > Rôgêr <> pinched out a steaming pile
    > > of<>:

    > > Webb,

    > > years in

    > > homes:

    > > families

    > >>Thank goodness the US gov't never spies on it's own citizens.
    > >>

    > > We do it secretly. And ramming it down our throats dosent work quite as
    > > well. We do after all have the ACLU. Is there a UK equivalent? Hmmm...

    > The European Court of Human Rights, ultimately.

    Sounds like you need to appeal to the UN.
    Heh...

    §ñühw¤£f, Aug 3, 2009
  16. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 18:49:55 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 15:47:11 -0600, ???hw??f
    > <>wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Holy Batshit!

    >>THe UK has more cctv's on the street already than any other nation. Its
    >>goofy what people will stand for in the name of "safety".

    > Well it's because their pussy Bobbies don't carry firearms.

    Because they don't need to carry them. Nevertheless, every police division
    has a highly trained Armed Response Unit always prepared to react to
    situations involving firearms.

    A page about the Metropolitan Police's Armed unit, CO19-

    < http://www.eliteukforces.info/police/CO19/ >

    There is, though, one police force in Britain all of whose members carry
    firearms on a daily basis, all of whom are highly trained in their use,
    the N.I.P.S. (Northern Ireland Police Service), their predecessors having
    been called the R.U.C. (Royal Ulster Constabulary).

    They also have ready access to heavily armed and armoured vehicles, which
    are still used exclusively in some areas of the provence.

    > In that case
    > you need all them cctvs or it's back to Sherlock Holmes days and using a
    > whistle for help,,,heh.

    The British police force is envied and admired worldwide for its
    professionalism and fearlessness.

    Please don't talk bollocks, Meat.

    Aardvark, Aug 4, 2009
  17. Rôgêr <> pinched out a steaming pile
    of<>:

    >§ñühw¤£f wrote:
    >
    >> THe UK has more cctv's on the street already than any other nation.
    >> Its goofy what people will stand for in the name of "safety".

    >According to David Letterman, Bloomberg just put 5,000 cameras up

    around
    >NYC. And people are stealing them all.

    Theres that indominable american spirit and new york can-do attitude at
    work right there!

    ^_^

    §ñühw¤£f, Aug 4, 2009