Leave pc on?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, May 19, 2006.

  1. David Howard wrote:
    > An earlier thread suggested that it was kinder to a pc to be left turned on
    > ( but presumably disconnected from whatever e-mail service one is using ),
    > as there are then fewer power surges to harm the gear. However, are their
    > not problems inherent in leaving the pc turned on all the time, eg. as the
    > hard drive is constantly spinning, does this not reduce the life span of the
    > moving parts?

    Power saving features

    David Howard, May 19, 2006

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    David Howard Guest

    --
    David Howard

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > David Howard wrote:
    > > An earlier thread suggested that it was kinder to a pc to be left turned

    on
    > > ( but presumably disconnected from whatever e-mail service one is

    using ),
    > > as there are then fewer power surges to harm the gear. However, are

    their
    > > not problems inherent in leaving the pc turned on all the time, eg. as

    the
    > > hard drive is constantly spinning, does this not reduce the life span of

    the
    > > moving parts?
    > >

    > Power saving features

    Thanks Brian , but which is best, 'turn off hard disc' or Hibernate?
    Regards, David H.

    David Howard, May 19, 2006
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    beenthere Guest

    "David Howard" <> wrote in message
    > An earlier thread suggested that it was kinder to a pc to be left turned
    > on
    > ( but presumably disconnected from whatever e-mail service one is using ),
    > as there are then fewer power surges to harm the gear. However, are their
    > not problems inherent in leaving the pc turned on all the time, eg. as the
    > hard drive is constantly spinning, does this not reduce the life span of
    > the
    > moving parts?

    As long as computers exist, there will always be two points of view.
    Some say, leave it on. Some say turn it off, when not being used.
    It comes down to a personal choice (at the end of the day !).
    Leaving it on wastes electricity, and ups the bill.
    It also, must, reduce the life span of some parts.
    Switching it off must reduce the life span of switches, and create
    slight power up surges.
    The choice is an individual one I think
    Altho` I like to keep my electric bills down <G>.

    beenthere, May 19, 2006
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 19 May 2006 14:10:04 +0100, David Howard wrote:

    > An earlier thread suggested that it was kinder to a pc to be left turned
    > on ( but presumably disconnected from whatever e-mail service one is using
    > ), as there are then fewer power surges to harm the gear. However, are
    > their not problems inherent in leaving the pc turned on all the time, eg.
    > as the hard drive is constantly spinning, does this not reduce the life
    > span of the moving parts?

    Each time you power up the PC, your send a surge to the components which
    is in the opinion of most worse than leaving it run. Except for fans,
    devices like hard drives can spin for years before failure.

    Meat Plow, May 19, 2006
  6. The thing that degrades the solders is the constant heating and cooling of
    said solders if turning on and off. I leave mine on 24/7 unless there are
    thunder boomers.

    @}-}-------Rosee, May 19, 2006
  7. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 19 May 2006 14:25:41 +0100, David Howard wrote:

    > Subject: Re: Leave pc on?
    > From: "David Howard" <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 14:25:41 +0100
    >

    > --
    > David Howard
    >
    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >> David Howard wrote:
    >> > An earlier thread suggested that it was kinder to a pc to be left turned

    > on
    >> > ( but presumably disconnected from whatever e-mail service one is

    > using ),
    >> > as there are then fewer power surges to harm the gear. However, are

    > their
    >> > not problems inherent in leaving the pc turned on all the time, eg. as

    > the
    >> > hard drive is constantly spinning, does this not reduce the life span of

    > the
    >> > moving parts?
    >> >

    >> Power saving features

    > Thanks Brian , but which is best, 'turn off hard disc' or Hibernate?
    > Regards, David H.

    Standby

    Meat Plow, May 19, 2006
  8. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    wrote:

    >An earlier thread suggested that it was kinder to a pc to be left turned on
    >( but presumably disconnected from whatever e-mail service one is using ),
    >as there are then fewer power surges to harm the gear. However, are their
    >not problems inherent in leaving the pc turned on all the time, eg. as the
    >hard drive is constantly spinning, does this not reduce the life span of the
    >moving parts?

    Years ago I produced a service call logging and fault tracking system
    for a large company. They had thousands of PCs. The design and
    development departments left their PC's on all the time while the
    admin and service people switched theirs off every day when they went
    home.

    The PCs that were left on had a much lower call rate.

    The cost in wasted power makes up for the cost of service calls.

    http://www.easynn.com

    , May 19, 2006
  9. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Vanguard Guest

    > "Brian H¹©" wrote ...
    >> David Howard wrote:
    >> > An earlier thread suggested that it was kinder to a pc to be left
    >> > turned

    > on
    >> > ( but presumably disconnected from whatever e-mail service one is

    > using ),
    >> > as there are then fewer power surges to harm the gear. However, are

    > their
    >> > not problems inherent in leaving the pc turned on all the time, eg.
    >> > as

    > the
    >> > hard drive is constantly spinning, does this not reduce the life
    >> > span of

    > the
    >> > moving parts?
    >> >

    >> Power saving features

    > Thanks Brian , but which is best, 'turn off hard disc' or Hibernate?

    You can also configure your power options to spin down the hard disks
    and turn off the monitor before Standby mode engages. I have my power
    options set to spin-down the hard disks and blank the video after 1 hour
    and Standby engages after 2 hours of idle. I find less than an hour
    inconvenient for spin-down and video blanking because I could get
    interrupted for that long in a meeting, and I don't want an overly short
    idle interval for Standby mode because I'd like the host ready to user
    on my return. How you configure these options depends on how you use
    your host.

    Hibernate powers down your computer just like you hit the power button
    (in fact, you can configure the power button to do the hibernate). The
    only difference between hibernate and powering off is that the memory is
    first copied into a file before powering down (and the file is used to
    write into memory on bootup).

    Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

    Vanguard, May 19, 2006
  10. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Vanguard Guest

    "David Howard" <> wrote in message

    <snip - everything below is the signature>

    When you edit your post to bottompost, be sure the sigdash delimiter
    line ("-- ") is BELOW your post and any content you are quoting.
    Otherwise, in the case of your reply, everything in your post was in the
    signature because you left it at the top.

    Since SP-2 for Windows XP, there are registry edits to make OE
    bottompost and put its signature at the end. See
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886340/. I don't believe the "end" data
    item makes much of a difference if you configure for bottomposting (and
    you need to add it to each signature under that registry key and not
    just for the first one of "00000000" which may no longer exist). The
    bottomposting registry edit is a global option for OE but the
    signature-at-end registry edit is local to the signature.

    Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

    Vanguard, May 19, 2006
  11. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Plato Guest

    David Howard wrote:

    > An earlier thread suggested that it was kinder to a pc to be left turned on

    These days it doesn't matter either way.

    > ( but presumably disconnected from whatever e-mail service one is using ),
    > as there are then fewer power surges to harm the gear. However, are their

    Turning the pc off does NOT prevent power surges.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 19, 2006
  12. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Bun Mui Guest

    If there are thunderstorms in your area when you have your computer
    on, it may switch off the electricity and turn the computer off for you
    if not temporary, permanently which would give you a big repair bill..
    So I would turn off the computer during thunderstorms, unless you want
    a risk having a dead computer.

    Bun Mui

    Bun Mui, May 19, 2006
  13. Plato wrote:

    > David Howard wrote:
    >>
    >> An earlier thread suggested that it was kinder to a pc to be
    >> left turned on

    > These days it doesn't matter either way.
    >
    >> ( but presumably disconnected from whatever e-mail service one
    >> is using ), as there are then fewer power surges to harm the
    >> gear. However, are their

    > Turning the pc off does NOT prevent power surges.

    No, he's saying fewer power surges if you *don't* turn it on and
    off all the time -- surges *from* powering it up frequently, not
    surges from the power company.

    --
    Blinky
    Kill-filing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, May 19, 2006
  14. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    > An earlier thread suggested that it was kinder to a pc to be left turned
    > on
    > ( but presumably disconnected from whatever e-mail service one is using ),
    > as there are then fewer power surges to harm the gear. However, are their
    > not problems inherent in leaving the pc turned on all the time, eg. as the
    > hard drive is constantly spinning, does this not reduce the life span of
    > the
    > moving parts?

    Hi David, I told you there`d be two points of view <G>.

    beenthere, May 19, 2006
  15. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:bMjbg.1872$,
    beenthere spewed forth:
    > "David Howard" <> wrote in message
    >> An earlier thread suggested that it was kinder to a pc to be left
    >> turned on
    >> ( but presumably disconnected from whatever e-mail service one is
    >> using ), as there are then fewer power surges to harm the gear.
    >> However, are their not problems inherent in leaving the pc turned on
    >> all the time, eg. as the hard drive is constantly spinning, does
    >> this not reduce the life span of the
    >> moving parts?
    >>

    > As long as computers exist, there will always be two points of view.
    > Some say, leave it on. Some say turn it off, when not being used.
    > It comes down to a personal choice (at the end of the day !).
    > Leaving it on wastes electricity, and ups the bill.
    > It also, must, reduce the life span of some parts.
    > Switching it off must reduce the life span of switches, and create
    > slight power up surges.
    > The choice is an individual one I think
    > Altho` I like to keep my electric bills down <G>.

    I'm with you. The systems that don't need to be used should be off. I have
    one running as a print/file server that also records TV shows for me. That
    one stays on because of the randomness of the TV schedule. But the other
    systems are off if I'm going to be away. When I turn one on, it stays on all
    day. But (except for the one exception) they all go off at the end of the
    day. I usually have 3 or 4, sometimes more systems hooked up - mostly for
    access to different operating systems, or testing, setup, etc. I don't want
    to waste the power if they are not actually being used.

    Toolman Tim, May 19, 2006
  16. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    beenthere Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:bMjbg.1872$,
    > beenthere spewed forth:
    >> "David Howard" <> wrote in message
    >>> An earlier thread suggested that it was kinder to a pc to be left
    >>> turned on
    >>> ( but presumably disconnected from whatever e-mail service one is
    >>> using ), as there are then fewer power surges to harm the gear.
    >>> However, are their not problems inherent in leaving the pc turned on
    >>> all the time, eg. as the hard drive is constantly spinning, does
    >>> this not reduce the life span of the
    >>> moving parts?
    >>>

    >> As long as computers exist, there will always be two points of view.
    >> Some say, leave it on. Some say turn it off, when not being used.
    >> It comes down to a personal choice (at the end of the day !).
    >> Leaving it on wastes electricity, and ups the bill.
    >> It also, must, reduce the life span of some parts.
    >> Switching it off must reduce the life span of switches, and create
    >> slight power up surges.
    >> The choice is an individual one I think
    >> Altho` I like to keep my electric bills down <G>.

    > I'm with you. The systems that don't need to be used should be off. I have
    > one running as a print/file server that also records TV shows for me. That
    > one stays on because of the randomness of the TV schedule. But the other
    > systems are off if I'm going to be away. When I turn one on, it stays on
    > all day. But (except for the one exception) they all go off at the end of
    > the day. I usually have 3 or 4, sometimes more systems hooked up - mostly
    > for access to different operating systems, or testing, setup, etc. I don't
    > want to waste the power if they are not actually being used.

    And we`re careful with our money Tim <g>.

    beenthere, May 19, 2006
  17. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Ron Martell Guest

    "David Howard" <> wrote:

    >An earlier thread suggested that it was kinder to a pc to be left turned on
    >( but presumably disconnected from whatever e-mail service one is using ),
    >as there are then fewer power surges to harm the gear. However, are their
    >not problems inherent in leaving the pc turned on all the time, eg. as the
    >hard drive is constantly spinning, does this not reduce the life span of the
    >moving parts?

    The "rule of thumb" that I have always used is that turning the
    computer on and off once has about the same impact on longevity as
    does leaving it running for 24 hours.

    There are a number of different effects that are relevant to this
    discussion, such as startup load effects, repeated heating and cooling
    effects (metal fatigue), and cumulative wear (electric motor bearings
    etc).

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, May 19, 2006
  18. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Plato Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > > Turning the pc off does NOT prevent power surges.

    > No, he's saying fewer power surges if you *don't* turn it on and
    > off all the time -- surges *from* powering it up frequently, not
    > surges from the power company.

    OK thanks for the correction oh boneless beast.

    Plato, May 20, 2006
  19. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Plato Guest

    Bun Mui wrote:

    > If there are thunderstorms in your area when you have your computer
    > on, it may switch off the electricity and turn the computer off for you
    > if not temporary, permanently which would give you a big repair bill..
    > So I would turn off the computer during thunderstorms, unless you want
    > a risk having a dead computer.

    Well, while a surge can damage hardware, it can also damage files on the
    hard drive. So yes, keeping the pc off is recommended during a storm no
    matter what type of surge protection you have.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 20, 2006
  20. Plato wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>
    >> > Turning the pc off does NOT prevent power surges.

    >> No, he's saying fewer power surges if you *don't* turn it on and
    >> off all the time -- surges *from* powering it up frequently, not
    >> surges from the power company.

    > OK thanks for the correction oh boneless beast.

    Cartilage makes the world go round.

    Blinky the Shark, May 20, 2006