learning to use Canon 5D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by CNN_news, Mar 24, 2006.

  1. CNN_news

    CNN_news Guest

    Hello,

    I need some stock photography and after looking at Corbis and Getty
    (and not finding anything suitable) have decided to try taking my own.

    I camera shop here will rent me a Canon 5D. I have never used a Digital
    SLR before (I have a nikon consumer digital camera).

    I found these links:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos5d/

    http://jimdoty.com/Digital/5d_menu_settings/5d_menu_settings.html

    I need outdoor shots of scenery.

    Can I learn this camera in 1 day?

    The shots don't have to be spectacular, but pretty good.

    Thanks,
    NK
    CNN_news, Mar 24, 2006

  2. CNN_news

    CNN_news Guest

    I have found that the Canon 5D has a 'green mode'.

    Does this work well enough that a mountain scene on an average sunny
    day will give a good shot?
    CNN_news, Mar 24, 2006

  3. "CNN_news" <> wrote"

    > Can I learn this camera in 1 day?

    Probably not. If you really need the quality advantage the 5D has over a
    lower-resolution cropped sensor camera, then you'll need to work; shoot raw,
    use good lenses, stop down to f/11 or f/16 (that is, stop down further than
    you would on a cropped-sensor camera), expose carefully so that the
    highlights blow out just a tad (as seen from jpeg) and convert to a lower
    contrast in the raw converter (to get the full dynamic range the camera is
    capable of).

    Think of the 5D vs. cropped cameras as being like medium format vs. 35mm. If
    you shoot ISO 100 film, use a sturdy tripod, pay for drum (or Nikon 9000)
    scans, medium format will produce 16x20 prints that look better than 35mm
    8x10s.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Mar 24, 2006
  4. CNN_news

    TMG Guest

    CNN_news wrote:
    > I have found that the Canon 5D has a 'green mode'.
    >
    > Does this work well enough that a mountain scene on an average sunny
    > day will give a good shot?

    No, the "Green Mode" is for earth friendly pictures.

    It also works well for pics of billy-goats, and the undersides of bridges.

    Best of luck.
    TMG, Mar 24, 2006
  5. CNN_news

    Frank ess Guest

    TMG wrote:
    > CNN_news wrote:
    >> I have found that the Canon 5D has a 'green mode'.
    >>
    >> Does this work well enough that a mountain scene on an average
    >> sunny
    >> day will give a good shot?

    > No, the "Green Mode" is for earth friendly pictures.
    >
    > It also works well for pics of billy-goats, and the undersides of
    > bridges.
    > Best of luck.

    That's a bit gruff, isn't it?
    Frank ess, Mar 24, 2006
  6. CNN_news

    CNN_news Guest

    Why would Canon bother with a 'green mode' on this camera anyway it it
    was not useful?

    I really don't need the quality from this camera, I need a high
    resolution image that will print 11 x 17 in 300 dpi (or close to that).
    You can tell I am not a photographer.

    I have a particular composition requirements that would seem strange to
    you. It is for a background of a marketing piece. It will include some
    scenery and there should be elements (like a roadway) in a particular
    location and other areas have to be sky (i.e. light colored).

    I know this sounds ridiculous but that it what I need. I got some stock
    images but they do not have the elements in the correct location.

    Are you saying that if I take this camera, save to RAW format, put in
    'green or auto mode' and take pictures I cannot get suitable quality?

    I'd get a pro to do this but I need this quickly and it would take too
    long to explain my req.

    Thanks,
    NK
    CNN_news, Mar 24, 2006
  7. CNN_news

    CNN_news Guest

    How about the Digital Rebel XT?

    I see this has a scene mode and I may be able to upsample in Photoshop
    to the required dpi if it is not too extreme.
    CNN_news, Mar 24, 2006
  8. CNN_news

    JC Dill Guest

    On 23 Mar 2006 21:19:15 -0800, "CNN_news" <> wrote:

    >I really don't need the quality from this camera, I need a high
    >resolution image that will print 11 x 17 in 300 dpi (or close to that).
    >You can tell I am not a photographer.

    You are greatly overestimating how "easy" it is for a non-photographer
    to get a stock-quality image that will work well at the size you need.

    I'm a member of an equine photographer's network. We get requests for
    stock images which are distributed to several hundred photographers
    and usually someone has a suitable image and the request is filled
    within 1 day.

    If you can better describe what type of image you need, you might get
    some pointers for how to find stock photos of the type you need and in
    the long run this will be both cheaper and faster than trying to get
    the photo yourself. Or, just hire a photographer to take the photos
    for you.

    jc
    JC Dill, Mar 24, 2006
  9. CNN_news

    Guest

    CNN_news wrote:
    > How about the Digital Rebel XT?
    >
    > I see this has a scene mode and I may be able to upsample in Photoshop
    > to the required dpi if it is not too extreme.

    I think that the problem with your original question is that it can be
    interpreted as "If I get a *really* expensive camera and just set it to
    autopilot then can I take pictures as good as a trained and experienced
    stock photographer?"

    The answer to that is no.

    However is you only want to take a picture of a static landscape scene,
    then the "Auto" mode will probably give you a good result. I would
    recommend putting the camera on a tripod - and using a cable release,
    or learn how to set the timer to 2 seconds. So you can press the
    shutter, take your hands away from the camera and then let it do it's
    thing.

    I think that you may also require someone to help you with Adobe
    Photoshop - to bring out the very best in your image.
    , Mar 24, 2006
  10. CNN_news

    CNN_news Guest

    Yes. This is my question.

    I need a high-resolution image (250-300 dpi) that will print a 11 x 17
    image of the composition I need.

    I have a designer that can work with a RAW file. I could buy photos
    from Getty ($500 each) and they would not have the composition I need.

    I'll print about 200k prints/year so I really don't want any glaring
    mistakes.

    These expensive cameras SHOULD have a 'green mode' because there will
    be people who are just not pro photographers.
    CNN_news, Mar 24, 2006
  11. CNN_news

    Guest

    CNN_news wrote:
    > Yes. This is my question.
    >
    > I need a high-resolution image (250-300 dpi) that will print a 11 x 17
    > image of the composition I need.
    >
    > I have a designer that can work with a RAW file. I could buy photos
    > from Getty ($500 each) and they would not have the composition I need.
    >
    > I'll print about 200k prints/year so I really don't want any glaring
    > mistakes.
    >
    > These expensive cameras SHOULD have a 'green mode' because there will
    > be people who are just not pro photographers.

    The green mode is not provided for inexperienced photographers, it is
    provided to allow professionals to get the best possible results from
    widely fluctuating lighting and rapidly changing scenes.

    The Canon 5D is priced high, and comes without a lens - I would not
    expect it to be purchased by a casual user.
    , Mar 24, 2006
  12. CNN_news

    Skip M Guest

    "CNN_news" <> wrote in message
    > Why would Canon bother with a 'green mode' on this camera anyway it it
    > was not useful?
    >
    > I really don't need the quality from this camera, I need a high
    > resolution image that will print 11 x 17 in 300 dpi (or close to that).
    > You can tell I am not a photographer.
    >
    > I have a particular composition requirements that would seem strange to
    > you. It is for a background of a marketing piece. It will include some
    > scenery and there should be elements (like a roadway) in a particular
    > location and other areas have to be sky (i.e. light colored).
    >
    > I know this sounds ridiculous but that it what I need. I got some stock
    > images but they do not have the elements in the correct location.

    > Are you saying that if I take this camera, save to RAW format, put in
    > 'green or auto mode' and take pictures I cannot get suitable quality?
    >
    > I'd get a pro to do this but I need this quickly and it would take too
    > long to explain my req.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > NK

    Actually, it would be faster, cheaper and more efficient to take it to a
    pro. He has the equipment, already, and may have a couple of ideas of where
    to take the image you need. You're talking about spending $3000 to $4000 to
    get a single image that a pro may be able to get you for well under $1000.
    In the time it would take you to acquire the camera and lens, learn the
    basics, you could just sketch out what your requirements are, and let
    him/her take it from there.
    BTW, the 5D will render an 11x16.5 at 265 dpi, without resizing.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Mar 24, 2006
  13. CNN_news

    Skip M Guest

    "CNN_news" <> wrote in message
    > Yes. This is my question.
    >
    > I need a high-resolution image (250-300 dpi) that will print a 11 x 17
    > image of the composition I need.
    >
    > I have a designer that can work with a RAW file. I could buy photos
    > from Getty ($500 each) and they would not have the composition I need.
    >
    > I'll print about 200k prints/year so I really don't want any glaring
    > mistakes.
    >
    > These expensive cameras SHOULD have a 'green mode' because there will
    > be people who are just not pro photographers.

    And people who are not experienced photographers generally do not purchase
    pro level equipment. Just because the 5D has a green box on the dial
    doesn't mean that you can pick it up and get the exact image that you want.
    The green mode sets your ISO for you, and your aperture, so if you want a
    very clean image, say at ISO 100, and the camera ascertains that ISO 400 is
    what you should be at, or if you want a very deep depth of field, and the
    camera decides that you should be wide open with a shallow depth of field,
    you'll get what the camera thinks you should. So, then, you'll go back to
    the office, download the images, and think the camera screwed up, because
    the images don't look like you wanted them to. You will have wasted your
    time and money when you should have given the job to someone capable of
    doing it right, the first time.

    Skip M, Mar 24, 2006
  14. CNN_news

    peter Guest

    "CNN_news" <> wrote in message

    > I know this sounds ridiculous but that it what I need. I got some stock
    > images but they do not have the elements in the correct location.

    Perhaps a composite using stock images and photoshop would work?
    peter, Mar 25, 2006
  15. CNN_news

    CNN_news Guest

    I rented a Rebel XT and have been playing around with it. I'll take
    some shots over the weekend and see if they are suitable.

    It does not give as high a resolution but I can upsample it a little
    and that should work ok.

    I may also post the results to see what people think.

    Thanks,
    NK
    CNN_news, Mar 25, 2006
  16. CNN_news

    CNN_news Guest

    CNN_news, Mar 26, 2006
  17. CNN_news

    D-Mac Guest

    CNN_news wrote:
    > Ok,
    >
    > Here is one of the shots (about 4MB). How good is it?
    >
    > http://members.shaw.ca/ntkar/images/IMG_5561.JPG
    >
    > Thanks,
    > NK

    Give up on the"green" mode thing.
    In fact give up on Photography if this is your best shot.
    D-Mac, Mar 26, 2006
  18. CNN_news

    Thomas Guest

    D-Mac:
    > Give up on the"green" mode thing.
    > In fact give up on Photography if this is your best shot.

    I think we should stick to constructive criticism here:

    Get a pro to do the picture.

    Thomas
    Thomas, Mar 26, 2006
  19. CNN_news

    D-Mac Guest

    Thomas wrote:
    > D-Mac:
    >
    >>Give up on the"green" mode thing.
    >>In fact give up on Photography if this is your best shot.

    > I think we should stick to constructive criticism here:
    >
    > Get a pro to do the picture.
    >
    > Thomas

    That's no more constructive than my comment.
    D-Mac, Mar 26, 2006
  20. CNN_news

    CNN_news Guest

    Alright,

    I'm not a photographer.

    Here's the preview of the Getty image of the same scene composed a bit
    differently.

    http://members.shaw.ca/ntkar/images/200299966-001.jpg

    It looks very similiar and to me there seems to be little difference in
    'quality'. What does Getty have that mine lacks?

    Thanks,
    NK
    CNN_news, Mar 26, 2006