Learning PS CS from ground zero

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sam Carleton, May 31, 2006.

  1. Sam Carleton

    Sam Carleton Guest

    I have taken on a business partner (BP) that knows very little
    about computers. The BP does not really understand the whole file
    system of Windows XP. While downloading images from my memory card
    to my BP's computer, I am still being asked,"Are you loading that
    into Photoshop?". Concepts like, downloading the contents of the
    card to the hard drive has not sunk in yet. On the other hand, I
    am a bit beyond a power user, I am a software developer and have
    been over over ten years, so I simply don't have a clue as to
    where to direct my BP to come up to speed on the basics, I have
    been living it for WAY too long;)

    Can anyone recommend some sources books or web sites that my BP
    can use to come up to speed enough on the basics as to get my BP
    to move forward with learning PS CS? If there is a good intro book
    for PS CS that does talk about the file system a bit, that would
    be perfect! How is the Photoshop for Dumbies book?
    --
    Sam
    http://www.miltonstreet.com

    Sam Carleton, May 31, 2006

  2. Sam Carleton

    Joan Guest

    Maybe start with Windows for Dummies.

    --
    Joan

    :
    : Can anyone recommend some sources books or web sites that my BP
    : can use to come up to speed enough on the basics as to get my BP
    : to move forward with learning PS CS? If there is a good intro book
    : for PS CS that does talk about the file system a bit, that would
    : be perfect! How is the Photoshop for Dumbies book?
    : --

    Joan, May 31, 2006

  3. Sam Carleton

    Guest

    It may not be the best _starter_, but Scott Kelby's books are
    excellent--

    http://tinyurl.com/osnbo

    Paul B.
    www.scienceteacher.biz

    Joan wrote:
    > Maybe start with Windows for Dummies.
    >
    > --
    > Joan
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
    >
    > "Sam Carleton" <> wrote in message
    > :I have taken on a business partner (BP) that knows very little
    > : about computers. The BP does not really understand the whole file
    > : system of Windows XP. While downloading images from my memory card
    > : to my BP's computer, I am still being asked,"Are you loading that
    > : into Photoshop?". Concepts like, downloading the contents of the
    > : card to the hard drive has not sunk in yet. On the other hand, I
    > : am a bit beyond a power user, I am a software developer and have
    > : been over over ten years, so I simply don't have a clue as to
    > : where to direct my BP to come up to speed on the basics, I have
    > : been living it for WAY too long;)
    > :
    > : Can anyone recommend some sources books or web sites that my BP
    > : can use to come up to speed enough on the basics as to get my BP
    > : to move forward with learning PS CS? If there is a good intro book
    > : for PS CS that does talk about the file system a bit, that would
    > : be perfect! How is the Photoshop for Dumbies book?
    > : --
    > : Sam
    > : http://www.miltonstreet.com
    > : http://www.sportsshooter.com/scarleton

    , May 31, 2006
  4. Sam Carleton

    Simon Guest

    I haven't read any of Ben Willmore's books since PS 5.5 (Adobe Photoshop
    Studio Techniques), but his Photoshop books are fantastic.

    Probably the only computer books I have ever read that weren't boring and I
    really enjoyed reading. I usually read computer/software books out of
    necessity in order to learn about a particular topic, however I never
    actually enjoy reading them, it is more of a necessity. Ben Willmore's
    books were the absolute opposite. Sometimes you come across a book whereby
    when you get the the end you wish it wasn't the end. His books are like
    this for me.

    As for understanding the file system of XP, then I am not sure why you would
    want to read a Photoshop book for that?

    Simon, May 31, 2006
  5. Sam Carleton

    simon Guest

    I second the 'Scott Kelby' recommendation

    simon, May 31, 2006
  6. Sam Carleton

    Dmac Guest

    Sam Carleton wrote:
    > I have taken on a business partner (BP) that knows very little
    > about computers. The BP does not really understand the whole file
    > system of Windows XP. While downloading images from my memory card
    > to my BP's computer, I am still being asked,"Are you loading that
    > into Photoshop?". Concepts like, downloading the contents of the
    > card to the hard drive has not sunk in yet. On the other hand, I
    > am a bit beyond a power user, I am a software developer and have
    > been over over ten years, so I simply don't have a clue as to
    > where to direct my BP to come up to speed on the basics, I have
    > been living it for WAY too long;)
    >
    > Can anyone recommend some sources books or web sites that my BP
    > can use to come up to speed enough on the basics as to get my BP
    > to move forward with learning PS CS? If there is a good intro book
    > for PS CS that does talk about the file system a bit, that would
    > be perfect! How is the Photoshop for Dumbies book?

    What actually possessed you to take on a partner who hasn't a clue about
    the core activities of your business? If it's money, it ain't worth the
    effort. Should have gotten it from the bank.

    If it's photography and they can't use a computer, you won't gain a
    thing if you have to do double duty to nurse them along. Do what I did.

    Send them to a course at a recognized institute. Sure it costs bucks but
    at the end, your partner can contribute to, instead of drain from your
    business. Or you could just get out now before you end up having a heart
    attack... But that would be the smart thing to do, wouldn't it?
    Photographers are not smart people, sad but true.

    Douglas,
    www.photographybydouglas.com

    Dmac, May 31, 2006
  7. Sam Carleton wrote:
    > I have taken on a business partner (BP) that knows very little
    > about computers. The BP does not really understand the whole file
    > system of Windows XP. While downloading images from my memory card
    > to my BP's computer, I am still being asked,"Are you loading that
    > into Photoshop?". Concepts like, downloading the contents of the
    > card to the hard drive has not sunk in yet. On the other hand, I
    > am a bit beyond a power user, I am a software developer and have
    > been over over ten years, so I simply don't have a clue as to
    > where to direct my BP to come up to speed on the basics, I have
    > been living it for WAY too long;)
    >
    > Can anyone recommend some sources books or web sites that my BP
    > can use to come up to speed enough on the basics as to get my BP
    > to move forward with learning PS CS? If there is a good intro book
    > for PS CS that does talk about the file system a bit, that would
    > be perfect! How is the Photoshop for Dumbies book?

    Classroom in a book, Adobe.

    But let me suggest a more radical approach, as I've just drawn some
    conclusions from your website: You are totally clued in about mechanics-
    of cameras, cars, computers, software, and your BP is not. Therefor I am
    suggesting you buy him an Intel Macintosh, and put Lightroom on it, and
    have him or her learn that program. Conversion from RAW is quick and
    easy. You'd be able to use your Unix knowledge, or simply boot it into
    Windows when as and if needed.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Jun 1, 2006