    about newsgroups and how to porperly use them (I am assuming that they
    are called usenet newsgroups).

    If you have any suggestions I would appreciate them, very much.
    jerry p, Jan 21, 2004

  2. jerry p

    Rifleman Guest

    "jerry p" <> wrote in message
    news:aPnPb.7335$...
    > I am a newbie to newsgroups and to usenet. I am currently using Yahoo
    > newsgroups but I assume that they are usenet newsgroups. I am trying to
    > learn about newsgroups in general as a first time user and am looking
    > for advice as to where I can learn more about them.
    > Also, where can I find the FAQ to this and other newsgroups to get
    > better aquainted with them?
    > lace to post that kind of question?
    >
    > I recently posted a geography homework question in this group, is this
    > the right place to post this type of question? If you have any
    > suggestions I would appreciate them, very much.
    >
    > I am looking forward to learning anything and everything that I can
    > about newsgroups and how to porperly use them (I am assuming that they
    > are called usenet newsgroups).
    >
    > If you have any suggestions I would appreciate them, very much.

    Try this for starters:
    http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/usenet/guide/index.html
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/newtonews.html
    Rifleman, Jan 21, 2004

  3. jerry p

    KeithS Guest

    "jerry p" <> wrote in message
    > I am a newbie to newsgroups and to usenet. I am currently using
    > Yahoo newsgroups but I assume that they are usenet newsgroups. I am
    > trying to learn about newsgroups in general as a first time user
    > and am looking for advice as to where I can learn more about them.
    > Also, where can I find the FAQ to this and other newsgroups to get
    > better aquainted with them?
    > lace to post that kind of question?
    >
    > I recently posted a geography homework question in this group, is
    > this the right place to post this type of question? If you have any
    > suggestions I would appreciate them, very much.
    >
    > I am looking forward to learning anything and everything that I can
    > about newsgroups and how to porperly use them (I am assuming that
    > they are called usenet newsgroups).
    >
    > If you have any suggestions I would appreciate them, very much.

    Lifted from alt.newbie a reply posted by Timo Salmi

    Links to Timo's FAQ materials
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html

    Of Usenet news netiquette and sundry, in HTML

    Why it is sensible to observe the Netiquette
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/netiquet.html

    Of proper quoting
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html

    Of suitable right margins
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/margin.html

    What does "Subject: Re: none" mean on the Usenet news?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/whatsubj.html

    Why "Reply by email, I don't read this newsgroup" gets flamed?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/serveme.html

    What are the restrictions for a proper signature?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/signatur.html

    How should I react to crackpot messages?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crackpot.html

    How should I react to abusive postings or email?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/abusive.html

    How should I react to chain letters?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/chainlet.html

    May I just go ahead and post binaries to discussion newsgroups?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/nobin.html

    Where to put test postings?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/testpost.html

    Can I say hello and find friends on new users' newsgroups?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/hello.html

    Please respond to my assignment to post to this newsgroup.
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/lectpost.html

    Someone just broke the netiquette. Should I post/email advice?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/police.html

    What is cross-posting? How do I do it?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crospost.html

    How does one create a new Usenet newsgroup?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/createng.html

    How can I cancel my Usenet news posting?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/cancel.html

    How long will my posting stay on the Usenet news?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/expiry.html

    Where did my Usenet posting disappear?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/postgone.html

    Where do I find a complete list of Usenet newsgroups?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/newsgrps.html

    How do I find the FAQ (and/or the charter) of a newsgroup?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/wherefaq.html

    Isn't using English compulsory on the international Usenet news?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/onlyengl.html

    What are the distribution area codes for Usenet news postings?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/dislimit.html

    Why don't you lay off your stupid FAQ postings and referrals?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/faqoff.html

    What is all this talk about "(Pascal etc) homework on the net"?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/homework.html

    Anonymous Usenet posting, another view
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/anonpost.html

    Timo's selection of Usenet newsgroups
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/news.html

    Programming
    -----------

    Timo's procmail email filtering tips and recipes
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/proctips.html

    Foiling Spam with an Email Password System
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/spamfoil.html

    Turbo Pascal programming material links
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/http2.html#programming

    MS-DOS batch programming material links
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/http2.html#batch

    Unix Bourne shell scripts programming material from Timo
    http://garbo.uwasa.fi/unix/ts.html

    Timo's HTML colors page
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/colors.html

    ISO Latin 1 Character Entries, etc
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/latin1.html

    Miscellaneous
    -------------

    Some Frequently Asked Garbo Archives Questions
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/garbo.html#faq

    Miscellaneous questions, information and comments about Timo's
    programs etc
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/garbo.html#faqtimo

    Journals in Accounting, Finance and OR for Research
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/opas/jott/jottjour.html

    Laskentatoimen tutkielma FAQ (in Finnish)
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/opas/tlma/tlmafaq.html

    Timo's collections of http links
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/http.html

    Timo's collection of banners with links
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/banners.html

    Timo's collection of GIF thumbnails
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/gifst/gifst.html

    Of University of Vaasa, Vaasa, Finland A Collection of Electronic
    Photographs
    http://www.uwasa.fi/ktt/lasktoim/photo/

    Of personal hobbies
    -------------------

    Cross-country skiing
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/timoski.html

    Long-distance skating
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/timonice.html

    Bicycling (Partly in Finnish)
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/timobike.html

    Computer programming
    http://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/ts.html

    Popularized natural and behavioral science
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/popsci.html

    All the best, Timo

    Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
    mailto: <http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/> ; FIN-65101, Finland
    Digital photos collection at http://www.uwasa.fi/ktt/lasktoim/photo/

    HTH
    KeithS

    KeithS, Jan 21, 2004
  4. jerry p

    nemo Guest

    Do a Google search on "free newsgroup servers"

    Here are the ones I use:

    Reliable:

    news:dp-news.maxwell.syr.edu (incudes scientific groups.)
    news:news.annexcafe.com (a nice community - mainly ladies.)
    news:news.grc.com (security related issues only)

    No naughty stuff on these.

    Flakey and intermittent:

    Biggulp is difficult to get into and throws you off if you do nothing for a
    minute or two, and wplus disappears for a few days at a time. Both include
    naughty stuff. Someone also said that wplus attempts data mining and other
    hacks. I've found no evidence of this.

    If these show up as Hyperlinks, click and your reader will install them. OE
    does. Normally takes a minute or two. If not and you have to install them
    manually, enter them without the "news:" (colon) prefix.

    Nemo

    nemo, Jan 22, 2004
  5. jerry p

    Penna Elabi Guest

    http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Usenet/

    http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Usenet/FAQs/

    > I recently posted a geography homework question in this group

    You should do your homework yourself.
    Penna Elabi, Jan 28, 2004