    Thanks for any tips,

    --
    Don

    Don, Feb 24, 2008

  2. If you are satisfied with performance, leave it as is for a few days and let
    the system optimize itself to your uses.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 24, 2008

  3. Don

    Gary Mount Guest

    You can lean out Ultimate a little more by using the 32 bit version. Then
    you use less of your ram. If you have 2GB or more ram, then I don't see any
    reason to "lean" it at all.
    I have a laptop computer that only had 64 MB of ram and giving it more head
    room with regards to memory usage greatly speeded it up. However, after
    adding an additional 128 MB (for its max. possible of 192MB), it hardly made
    much difference to turn off services.
    With the cost of ram so cheap now, there doesn't seem any reason not to have
    enough ram. As you indicate you have a 64 bit chip, then I know you have a
    fairly new system.
    Any services that do run such as defragmenter and indexing may slow things
    down while they are running, however in the long run you get an improvement
    in your overall computing experience. Defragmenter also mostly runs when the
    system is idle, when it is running.

    You can use the "net start" command in a command prompt to see what services
    are running. Then type net stop "name of service you would like to stop
    running" and see if it makes much of a difference.

    Take a look at the cpu utilization with task manager. I am currently using
    3% CPU Usage with 67 processes running. My computer is about 4 years old.

    I could understand if you wanted to get the maximum frame rate while playing
    games you might want to turn off services, but generally it doesn't seem
    worthwhile.

    Gary Mount, Feb 24, 2008
  4. Don

    Don Guest

    Thanks for the info.

    Yes, it is mainly to get maximum performance in some games, but it is pretty
    good right now so will leave as it is for a while.

    I do have 4 gb of PC8500 of ram, and an Intel Core2 Due E6600 overclocked
    to 3.33 ghz.

    --
    Don

    Don, Feb 24, 2008
  5. Don

    waxace Guest

    Hello Don,
    Just to let you know, your 64 bit system should be fine with 4 g of memory.
    I have 16G and it did make a big difference but 4 g should also be fine
    unless you are running a lot of programs and utilities at once.
    Also, I was one of the lucky few that got SP1 sent to me through Windows
    Update.
    That was a glitch from MS. Not supposed to be sent out to the public until
    March.
    SP1 DID make files respond faster and there were a lot of improvements.
    Boost you RAM, wait for SP1 before you "LeanOut" your system
    I personally feel it is unneccessary at this point.
    See the suggested limits of memory from MS below.

    X86
    X64

    Windows Vista Ultimate 4 GB 128 GB
    Windows Vista Enterprise 4 GB 128 GB
    Windows Vista Business 4 GB 128 GB
    Windows Vista Home Premium 4 GB 16 GB
    Windows Vista Home Basic 4 GB 8 GB

    JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG....
    WAXACE

    waxace, Feb 24, 2008
  6. Don

    Don Guest

    Will do, thanks for the good info waxace.

    --
    Don

    Don, Feb 24, 2008