Leakage Current Info

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Frank Williams, Jun 9, 2011.

  1. Help need some upto date info regarding leakage current of a double
    insulated appliance and what do you use to measure it, like a Fluke etc.

    From memory I was told it was a TV product that the person is getting
    shocks from it..
    Frank Williams, Jun 9, 2011

  2. Frank Williams

    PeeCee Guest

    On 9/06/2011 12:45 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:

    > Help need some upto date info regarding leakage current of a double
    > insulated appliance and what do you use to measure it, like a Fluke etc.
    >

    > From memory I was told it was a TV product that the person is getting
    > shocks from it..

    From what I can remember the act and regulations usually point to a
    'Standard'

    Electrical "Standards" are available from here:
    http://www.standards.co.nz/touchstone/Issue 13/Electrical/default.htm
    AS/NZS 3760:2010 in particular looks like it might be applicable.
    http://www.standards.co.nz/web-shop/?action=viewSearchProduct&mod=catalog&pid=3760:2010(AS|NZS)

    Of course you are going to have to 'pay' for a copy, hardly worth it if
    it's for Family!

    (Why one has to 'pay' to find out what the law of the land is, is beyond
    me, but then so is most Politicians thinking)

    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jun 9, 2011

  3. Frank Williams

    Richard Guest

    On 9/06/2011 6:48 p.m., PeeCee wrote:
    > On 9/06/2011 12:45 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >>

    >> Help need some upto date info regarding leakage current of a double
    >> insulated appliance and what do you use to measure it, like a Fluke etc.
    >>

    >> From memory I was told it was a TV product that the person is getting
    >> shocks from it..
    >>

    > From what I can remember the act and regulations usually point to a
    > 'Standard'
    >
    > Electrical "Standards" are available from here:
    > http://www.standards.co.nz/touchstone/Issue 13/Electrical/default.htm
    > AS/NZS 3760:2010 in particular looks like it might be applicable.
    > http://www.standards.co.nz/web-shop/?action=viewSearchProduct&mod=catalog&pid=3760:2010(AS|NZS)
    >

    > Of course you are going to have to 'pay' for a copy, hardly worth it if
    > it's for Family!
    >
    > (Why one has to 'pay' to find out what the law of the land is, is beyond
    > me, but then so is most Politicians thinking)
    >
    > Paul.

    Agreed that it sucks that you are supposed to adhiere to something you
    cant own a copy of.

    But, librarys often have electronic copies available that you can check
    out or else browse online. I used the ones at unitec heaps when I had
    access to them.

    IMO, if you can feel it, its far too much. There were some old sat boxed
    from a "former employer" that were terrible for leakage. Legal, but get
    3-4 of them looped together and you would get a massive whack off the
    shield of it. 9 would trip a whole house RCD.
    Richard, Jun 9, 2011
  4. Frank Williams

    Boots Guest

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 23:01:12 +1200, Richard wrote:

    > Agreed that it sucks that you are supposed to adhiere to something you
    > cant own a copy of.

    You can own a copy of the standard - just purchase it from the Standards
    Association.

    It's called "user pays". You know - something that National Party
    Supporters strongly advocate.

    Boots, Jun 9, 2011
  5. Frank Williams

    Enkidu Guest

    On 09/06/11 12:45, Frank Williams wrote:

    > Help need some upto date info regarding leakage current of a double
    > insulated appliance and what do you use to measure it, like a Fluke etc.
    >
    > From memory I was told it was a TV product that the person is getting
    > shocks from it..

    If you have a double insulated appliance that is giving shocks there is
    something seriously wrong with it. Ditch it. Double insulated devices
    are intended to be used without a safety connection. Double insulated
    devices have only two core connections.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
    Enkidu, Jun 9, 2011
  6. On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 08:58:05 +1200, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >On 09/06/11 12:45, Frank Williams wrote:
    >>
    >> Help need some upto date info regarding leakage current of a double
    >> insulated appliance and what do you use to measure it, like a Fluke etc.
    >>
    >> From memory I was told it was a TV product that the person is getting
    >> shocks from it..
    >>

    >If you have a double insulated appliance that is giving shocks there is
    >something seriously wrong with it. Ditch it. Double insulated devices
    >are intended to be used without a safety connection. Double insulated
    >devices have only two core connections.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff

    All devices have leakage current its not possible to stop it, its get
    coupled thought the capacitance of the Transformer, but what is the
    maximum limit.?

    This is a Freeview DVB-T box, but as usual 100% of the stuff sold
    here has no reference to any electrical approval.
    Frank Williams, Jun 10, 2011
  7. Frank Williams

    victor Guest

    On 10/06/2011 1:56 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 08:58:05 +1200, Enkidu<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 09/06/11 12:45, Frank Williams wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Help need some upto date info regarding leakage current of a double
    >>> insulated appliance and what do you use to measure it, like a Fluke etc.
    >>>
    >>> From memory I was told it was a TV product that the person is getting
    >>> shocks from it..
    >>>

    >> If you have a double insulated appliance that is giving shocks there is
    >> something seriously wrong with it. Ditch it. Double insulated devices
    >> are intended to be used without a safety connection. Double insulated
    >> devices have only two core connections.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    > All devices have leakage current its not possible to stop it, its get
    > coupled thought the capacitance of the Transformer, but what is the
    > maximum limit.?
    >

    > This is a Freeview DVB-T box, but as usual 100% of the stuff sold
    > here has no reference to any electrical approval.

    <=1mA
    If you can feel it its over 50mA
    victor, Jun 10, 2011
  8. Frank Williams

    PeeCee Guest

    On 10/06/2011 1:56 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 08:58:05 +1200, Enkidu<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 09/06/11 12:45, Frank Williams wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Help need some upto date info regarding leakage current of a double
    >>> insulated appliance and what do you use to measure it, like a Fluke etc.
    >>>
    >>> From memory I was told it was a TV product that the person is getting
    >>> shocks from it..
    >>>

    >> If you have a double insulated appliance that is giving shocks there is
    >> something seriously wrong with it. Ditch it. Double insulated devices
    >> are intended to be used without a safety connection. Double insulated
    >> devices have only two core connections.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    > All devices have leakage current its not possible to stop it, its get
    > coupled thought the capacitance of the Transformer, but what is the
    > maximum limit.?
    >

    > This is a Freeview DVB-T box, but as usual 100% of the stuff sold
    > here has no reference to any electrical approval.

    FWIW

    I have been told.

    NZS 3760:2003

    class I (protective earth) leakage current not to exceed 5ma.

    Class II (double insulated) leakage current not to exceed 1ma.

    Earth continuity 1 ohm or less.

    Insulation resistance Class I & II : 1Mohm or greater.

    RCD's can have insulation resistance down to 0.1Mohm under certain
    circumstances.

    Caveat's
    Testing conditions, voltages, equipment and methods not mentioned.
    Standard may not be current.

    Entirely at your risk.

    Emphasis: figures from someone's memory.
    Use entirely your risk/responsibility.

    P.
    PeeCee, Jun 10, 2011
  9. Frank Williams

    PeeCee Guest

    On 10/06/2011 8:05 a.m., EMB wrote:
    > On 10/06/2011 1:11 a.m., Boots wrote:
    >> On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 23:01:12 +1200, Richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Agreed that it sucks that you are supposed to adhiere to something you
    >>> cant own a copy of.

    >> You can own a copy of the standard - just purchase it from the Standards
    >> Association.
    >>
    >> It's called "user pays". You know - something that National Party
    >> Supporters strongly advocate.
    >>

    > Paying for standards has nothing to do with government (otherwise I'm
    > sure your beloved Labour would have made them free during their 9 years
    > in power). Standards are administered by an autonomous entity (Standards
    > NZ) which is free from political interference and runs on a commercial
    > basis. Its interactions on joint standards with Australia mean there is
    > no way to provide free access to the standards without also doing so for
    > Australia, something that NZ has no control over.

    Well today that's simply not 'reasonable'

    For a 'reasonable' person to obey the laws of the land they must have
    'reasonable' access to the laws they are expected to obey.

    In times past when all communication was basically via print media,
    buying a copy of the law on paper would not have been 'unreasonable'

    Today however with universal access to the Internet there is 'no' reason
    why 'all' Acts, Regulations can not be posted on an appropriate website
    for 'free and unfettered' access.

    e.g. NZ Road Code.
    http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/

    If that means Aussy's get to read Standards in 'Common' for free then
    I'm afraid that's just 'tough'
    (if you read Silicon Chip magazine you will know how ridiculous the
    Electrial rules are over there)

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jun 10, 2011
  10. Frank Williams

    Greg Guest

    > Well today that's simply not 'reasonable'
    >
    > For a 'reasonable' person to obey the laws of the land they must have
    > 'reasonable' access to the laws they are expected to obey.

    The standards are not the law

    > In times past when all communication was basically via print media,
    > buying a copy of the law on paper would not have been 'unreasonable'
    >
    > Today however with universal access to the Internet there is 'no' reason
    > why 'all' Acts, Regulations can not be posted on an appropriate website
    > for 'free and unfettered' access.
    >
    > e.g. NZ Road Code.
    > http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/
    >
    > If that means Aussy's get to read Standards in 'Common' for free then
    > I'm afraid that's just 'tough'
    > (if you read Silicon Chip magazine you will know how ridiculous the
    > Electrial rules are over there)

    Um... NZ and Aussie use the same standards

    Greg, Jun 10, 2011
  11. Frank Williams

    Enkidu Guest

    On 10/06/11 13:56, Frank Williams wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 08:58:05 +1200, Enkidu<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 09/06/11 12:45, Frank Williams wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Help need some upto date info regarding leakage current of a double
    >>> insulated appliance and what do you use to measure it, like a Fluke etc.
    >>>
    >>> From memory I was told it was a TV product that the person is getting
    >>> shocks from it..
    >>>

    >> If you have a double insulated appliance that is giving shocks there is
    >> something seriously wrong with it. Ditch it. Double insulated devices
    >> are intended to be used without a safety connection. Double insulated
    >> devices have only two core connections.

    > All devices have leakage current its not possible to stop it, its get
    > coupled thought the capacitance of the Transformer, but what is the
    > maximum limit.?

    It doesn't matter. If you can get a shock off a double insulated
    appliance there is something seriously wrong with it. Ditch it before
    someone gets killed.

    Enkidu, Jun 10, 2011
  12. Frank Williams

    PeeCee Guest

    On 10/06/2011 6:19 p.m., EMB wrote:
    > On 10/06/2011 5:46 p.m., PeeCee wrote:
    >
    >> Well today that's simply not 'reasonable'
    >>
    >> For a 'reasonable' person to obey the laws of the land they must have
    >> 'reasonable' access to the laws they are expected to obey.
    >>
    >> In times past when all communication was basically via print media,
    >> buying a copy of the law on paper would not have been 'unreasonable'
    >>
    >> Today however with universal access to the Internet there is 'no' reason
    >> why 'all' Acts, Regulations can not be posted on an appropriate website
    >> for 'free and unfettered' access.

    > And the NZ public have free and unfettered access to all the statues
    > online. http://legislation.govt.nz

    EMB

    Thank you for that, I was unaware such a site existed and will take full
    advantage of it in future.

    >> e.g. NZ Road Code.
    >> http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/
    >>
    >> If that means Aussy's get to read Standards in 'Common' for free then
    >> I'm afraid that's just 'tough'

    > Joe public has precisely zero need for a copy of the electrical
    > standards -

    Can't agree with that.

    The Electricity (Safety) Regulations 2010 (SR 2010/36) makes several
    references to AS/NZS 'Standards' and more importantly 'form part of the
    Regulations'

    If I go to the trouble to read up a Regulation, I should be able to read
    up on 'all' the references made in those Regulations.
    After all if I don't follow the 'Rules' espoused in the Regulations
    (which include the 'Standards') I commit an Offence under those Regulations.
    i.e. it is 'reasonable' for me to access 'all' the relevant rules so I
    don't commit an offence.

    >as he will see by looking at the appropriate statutes that
    > he cannot undertake any of the work that would require access to the
    > standards.

    How does one know that if one can not freely access 'all' of the Acts
    Regulations and Standards
    e.g.
    The 'Electricity (Safety) Regulations 2010 (SR 2010/36)' says (in part)
    <quote>
    A fitting or appliance to which this regulation applies is
    deemed to be electrically safe if, at the time when it is first
    made available for use,—
    (a) it has a current tag issued in accordance with AS/NZS
    3760;
    </quote>

    This Standard (AS/NZS 3760) says testing in AS/NZS 3760 is to be
    conducted by a "competent person"

    The Standard makes it quite clear a competent person could be anyone
    provided he/she does the right things with the right gear and displays
    the appropriate knowledge to perform such tests. (even Woger should be
    able to do that)
    The Competent person does not have to have 'any' sort of electrical
    qualification.

    Therefore 'Joe Public' does have a need to access the standard in order
    to find out if he can or can not perform certain work - and - if he can
    what 'Standards' he is expected to meet.

    To argue that 'Joe Public' has no need to access such a Standard is
    eliteist and all very 'secret society/restraint of trade crap.

    >> (if you read Silicon Chip magazine you will know how ridiculous the
    >> Electrial rules are over there)

    > The electrical standards are common to both NZ and Australia.

    Aye, no argument there

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jun 10, 2011
  13. On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 17:46:50 +1200, PeeCee <> wrote:

    >On 10/06/2011 8:05 a.m., EMB wrote:

    >>> You can own a copy of the standard - just purchase it from the Standards
    >>> Association.
    >>>
    >>> It's called "user pays". You know - something that National Party
    >>> Supporters strongly advocate.
    >>>

    >> Paying for standards has nothing to do with government (otherwise I'm
    >> sure your beloved Labour would have made them free during their 9 years
    >> in power). Standards are administered by an autonomous entity (Standards
    >> NZ) which is free from political interference and runs on a commercial
    >> basis. Its interactions on joint standards with Australia mean there is
    >> no way to provide free access to the standards without also doing so for
    >> Australia, something that NZ has no control over.
    >>

    >Well today that's simply not 'reasonable'
    >
    >For a 'reasonable' person to obey the laws of the land they must have
    >'reasonable' access to the laws they are expected to obey.
    >
    >In times past when all communication was basically via print media,
    >buying a copy of the law on paper would not have been 'unreasonable'
    >
    >Today however with universal access to the Internet there is 'no' reason
    >why 'all' Acts, Regulations can not be posted on an appropriate website
    >for 'free and unfettered' access.
    >
    >e.g. NZ Road Code.
    >http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/
    >
    >If that means Aussy's get to read Standards in 'Common' for free then
    >I'm afraid that's just 'tough'
    >(if you read Silicon Chip magazine you will know how ridiculous the
    >Electrial rules are over there)

    As has already been pointed out, Acts & Regulations are freely
    available online.
    The Regulations that allow private individuals to do their own
    electrical repairs also require them to follow ECP50 (Electrical Code
    of Practice 50) for testing. The ECP's are freely available at

    http://www.energysafety.govt.nz/templates/Page____17682.aspx

    If you're familiar with Silicon Chip's campaign you should be aware of
    that. One article that noted the NZ Energy Safety page above and the
    existence of ECP's was titled something similar to
    "Are Aussies Dumber than Kiwis". :)

    For electrical workers that are Registered & have a current Practising
    License the relevant Standards are freely available after logging in
    at the EWRB website. This is the result of an agreement between the
    Electrical Workers Registration Board and StandardsNZ.

    That won't help Roger because he has never been registered (cue rant
    about some 12 ridiculous requirements).

    --
    Regards
    Malcolm
    Malcolm Moore, Jun 10, 2011
  14. Frank Williams

    PeeCee Guest

    On 10/06/2011 7:15 p.m., Greg wrote:

    >> Well today that's simply not 'reasonable'
    >>
    >> For a 'reasonable' person to obey the laws of the land they must have
    >> 'reasonable' access to the laws they are expected to obey.

    > The standards are not the law

    mmmmmm perhaps not the Law but are required by the 'Law' to be met.

    From the NZ Legislation website:
    •Acts are laws made by Parliament
    •Regulations are laws made under Acts

    So in the strick Legal sense you 'may' be right.
    But in 'practice' the Standards are very much part of the Regulations
    which is the 'Law' as defined above.

    Example:
    Schedule 2 of the (NZ( Electricity (Safety) Regulations 2010 refers to
    "Electrical codes of practice and official standards cited in these
    regulations"

    So if a Standard is 'Cited' (To quote as an authority) it becomes a
    defacto part of the Regulations, hence logically it is part of the 'Law'

    Semantics perhaps, but which ever way you cut it the 'Law' requires you
    to meet the 'Standards'

    BTW Wikipedia defines 'Law' as

    1. The system of rules that a particular country or community recognizes
    as regulating the actions of its members and may enforce by the
    imposition of penalties.

    2. An individual rule as part of such a system.

    So are 'Standards' "Rules" ?

    >> In times past when all communication was basically via print media,
    >> buying a copy of the law on paper would not have been 'unreasonable'
    >>
    >> Today however with universal access to the Internet there is 'no' reason
    >> why 'all' Acts, Regulations can not be posted on an appropriate website
    >> for 'free and unfettered' access.
    >>
    >> e.g. NZ Road Code.
    >> http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/
    >>
    >> If that means Aussy's get to read Standards in 'Common' for free then
    >> I'm afraid that's just 'tough'
    >> (if you read Silicon Chip magazine you will know how ridiculous the
    >> Electrial rules are over there)
    >>

    > Um... NZ and Aussie use the same standards

    Can't disagree with that.

    (within the 'electrial' context)

    But what 'is' different is the Aussy Act and Regulations (and they
    differ state to state according to what I've read) are a lot more
    restrictive on what a non electrician can do, even in their own home.

    Here in NZ we have the right to run cables, replace switches, sockets
    and other 'low voltage' (ie 230V) equipment. We are just not allowed to
    connect it up and our work must be tested by an appropriately qualified
    person.

    In Australia all you are basically allowed to do is to operate the
    equipment (turn on a switch) and change light bulbs.

    Also (can't give a reference as I havent got a 'Standard' to hand) I
    seem to recall there are sections in those Standards that apply
    specifically only to Australia and others only to NZ.

    So although they are the same 'Standard' there are different rules
    within that standard depending if you're in AU or NZ.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jun 10, 2011
  15. On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 23:04:35 +1200, PeeCee <> wrote:

    snip

    >The Electricity (Safety) Regulations 2010 (SR 2010/36) makes several
    >references to AS/NZS 'Standards' and more importantly 'form part of the
    >Regulations'
    >
    >If I go to the trouble to read up a Regulation, I should be able to read
    >up on 'all' the references made in those Regulations.
    >After all if I don't follow the 'Rules' espoused in the Regulations
    >(which include the 'Standards') I commit an Offence under those Regulations.
    >i.e. it is 'reasonable' for me to access 'all' the relevant rules so I
    >don't commit an offence.
    >

    >How does one know that if one can not freely access 'all' of the Acts
    >Regulations and Standards
    >e.g.
    >The 'Electricity (Safety) Regulations 2010 (SR 2010/36)' says (in part)
    ><quote>
    >A fitting or appliance to which this regulation applies is
    >deemed to be electrically safe if, at the time when it is first
    >made available for use,—
    >(a) it has a current tag issued in accordance with AS/NZS
    >3760;
    ></quote>
    >
    >This Standard (AS/NZS 3760) says testing in AS/NZS 3760 is to be
    >conducted by a "competent person"
    >
    >The Standard makes it quite clear a competent person could be anyone
    >provided he/she does the right things with the right gear and displays
    >the appropriate knowledge to perform such tests. (even Woger should be
    >able to do that)
    >The Competent person does not have to have 'any' sort of electrical
    >qualification.
    >
    >Therefore 'Joe Public' does have a need to access the standard in order
    >to find out if he can or can not perform certain work - and - if he can
    >what 'Standards' he is expected to meet.
    >
    >To argue that 'Joe Public' has no need to access such a Standard is
    >eliteist and all very 'secret society/restraint of trade crap.

    What you quote above is part of regulation 26. You haven't quoted the
    important part. Part 1 of that regulation states;

    This regulation applies to a fitting or appliance that is in use, or
    available for use,—

    (a) by an employee or contractor of the owner of the fitting or
    appliance; or

    (b) under a hire or lease agreement with the owner of the fitting
    or appliance; or

    (c) by the occupier of premises that are rented or leased from the
    owner of the fitting or appliance.

    Regulation 26 is not a requirement on Joe Public, it only applies to
    fittings used for commercial purposes. Part of the cost of doing
    business is testing to ensure safety, part of that cost is the
    documentation (the Standard) just as part of the cost is the purchase
    of test equipment, or paying someone with the knowledge & equipment.

    Joe Public doesn't need to know AS/NZS 3760, they need ECP50, which is
    available for free.

    Before you assess Roger as a competent person under the Standard, ask
    him about his experience cutting plugs off live conductors.

    --
    Regards
    Malcolm
    Malcolm Moore, Jun 10, 2011
  16. Frank Williams

    Richard Guest

    On 10/06/2011 6:19 p.m., EMB wrote:
    > On 10/06/2011 5:46 p.m., PeeCee wrote:
    >
    >> Well today that's simply not 'reasonable'
    >>
    >> For a 'reasonable' person to obey the laws of the land they must have
    >> 'reasonable' access to the laws they are expected to obey.
    >>
    >> In times past when all communication was basically via print media,
    >> buying a copy of the law on paper would not have been 'unreasonable'
    >>
    >> Today however with universal access to the Internet there is 'no' reason
    >> why 'all' Acts, Regulations can not be posted on an appropriate website
    >> for 'free and unfettered' access.

    > And the NZ public have free and unfettered access to all the statues
    > online. http://legislation.govt.nz
    >>
    >> e.g. NZ Road Code.
    >> http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/
    >>
    >> If that means Aussy's get to read Standards in 'Common' for free then
    >> I'm afraid that's just 'tough'

    > Joe public has precisely zero need for a copy of the electrical
    > standards - as he will see by looking at the appropriate statutes that
    > he cannot undertake any of the work that would require access to the
    > standards.

    If you want to see the tests that you have to pay to have done on
    anything you want to import for resale?

    If you want to permananlty disable an unwanted appliance in accordance
    with whatever standard that one is? Last I checked that needed no ticket
    to do.

    If you suspect that an item you have doesnt meet standards and want to
    see what they are before making a complaint to ESS who are clearly
    overworked since they ignore so many blatently unsafe things around.
    Richard, Jun 10, 2011
  17. Frank Williams

    Richard Guest

    On 10/06/2011 1:56 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:

    > All devices have leakage current its not possible to stop it, its get
    > coupled thought the capacitance of the Transformer, but what is the
    > maximum limit.?
    >

    > This is a Freeview DVB-T box, but as usual 100% of the stuff sold
    > here has no reference to any electrical approval.

    When a friend was looking to get freeview approval, part of it was to do
    with having a C tick and some other stuff. Didnt bother as it turns out
    they couldnt get MHEG on the boxes anyway and decided the market for
    mobile DVB tuners was too small to bother.

    So if it is a freeview box, then it should have a C tick and the number
    on it. If not, tell freeview that their trademarks are being
    misappropriated. But with how they let all the china domestic market
    junk sellers on trademe get away with using their name in ad's I think
    they have given up on protecting their trademark or never bothered to
    start with.
    Richard, Jun 10, 2011
  18. Frank Williams

    Boots Guest

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 17:46:50 +1200, PeeCee wrote:

    > For a 'reasonable' person to obey the laws of the land they must have
    > 'reasonable' access to the laws they are expected to obey.

    Yes - agreed. However, "standards" are not "laws". :)

    Boots, Jun 10, 2011
  19. Frank Williams

    Boots Guest

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 00:03:01 +1200, PeeCee wrote:

    >> The standards are not the law

    > mmmmmm perhaps not the Law but are required by the 'Law' to be met.

    Nope.

    They are voluntary.

    Boots, Jun 10, 2011
  20. Frank Williams

    Boots Guest

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:15:57 +1200, Greg wrote:

    >> If that means Aussy's get to read Standards in 'Common' for free then
    >> I'm afraid that's just 'tough'
    >> (if you read Silicon Chip magazine you will know how ridiculous the
    >> Electrial rules are over there)
    >>

    > Um... NZ and Aussie use the same standards

    Nope. The Standards Association of NZ And their Australian equivalent
    publish their own standards. Much of the content is the same, but the
    standards are differently published.

    Boots, Jun 10, 2011