Leadtek deluxe tv tuner card

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Warwick, Nov 1, 2004.

  1. Warwick

    Warwick Guest

    Hi,
    I bought one of these beasties on recommendation. Apparently it is a
    popular card.

    Mine dont work tho. Can't even install the bugger.

    I have taken the issue up with leadtek directly, they have promised support
    but man are they dragging the chain. 6 days and we have just managed to
    determine what model it is I have, nevermind determining the problem, never
    mind a solution.

    Knowing the collective wisdom of this group and its willingness to help put
    many corporations support desks to shame, I am going to pose the question
    here.

    The instructions are to install the card, on power up dismiss the windows
    found new hardware wizard. Run their own installation program on the cd
    provided.

    Mine wont run. The install shield progress bar comes up and completes then
    I get a modal type window (ie has focus until it is dealt with). The
    caption is 'Warning'. The message is 'Not supported! -' and there is one
    button marked ok. Either pushing ok or closing the window produce the same
    behaviour - which is to stop the install dead in its tracks.

    It is difficult to tell what threw the exception, the dialog has no icon in
    the caption, it just says 'Warning'. Any advice would be most welcome.

    cheers
    Warwick, Nov 1, 2004

  2. Warwick

    Hmmm Guest

    Warwick wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I bought one of these beasties on recommendation. Apparently it is a
    > popular card.
    >
    > Mine dont work tho. Can't even install the bugger.
    >
    > I have taken the issue up with leadtek directly, they have promised support
    > but man are they dragging the chain. 6 days and we have just managed to
    > determine what model it is I have, nevermind determining the problem, never
    > mind a solution.
    >
    > Knowing the collective wisdom of this group and its willingness to help put
    > many corporations support desks to shame, I am going to pose the question
    > here.
    >
    > The instructions are to install the card, on power up dismiss the windows
    > found new hardware wizard. Run their own installation program on the cd
    > provided.
    >
    > Mine wont run. The install shield progress bar comes up and completes then
    > I get a modal type window (ie has focus until it is dealt with). The
    > caption is 'Warning'. The message is 'Not supported! -' and there is one
    > button marked ok. Either pushing ok or closing the window produce the same
    > behaviour - which is to stop the install dead in its tracks.
    >
    > It is difficult to tell what threw the exception, the dialog has no icon in
    > the caption, it just says 'Warning'. Any advice would be most welcome.
    >

    > cheers

    See if you can install the drivers manually, check the cd see if there
    is a drivers directory and see if there is a drivers directory for your
    windows version. (is your windows version supported?)

    if there is then go to control panel, system, hardware, device manager,
    and then click on the new hardware and try installing the drivers there
    pointing at the driver directory.

    Thats all i can think of.. nothing to lose :)

    with lots of these types of devices, you have to install the drivers
    first before you can install the actual software for them.

    Hmmm, Nov 1, 2004

  3. Warwick

    tatties Guest

    "Warwick" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I bought one of these beasties on recommendation. Apparently it is a
    > popular card.
    >
    > Mine dont work tho. Can't even install the bugger.
    >
    > I have taken the issue up with leadtek directly, they have promised
    > support
    > but man are they dragging the chain. 6 days and we have just managed to
    > determine what model it is I have, nevermind determining the problem,
    > never
    > mind a solution.
    >
    > Knowing the collective wisdom of this group and its willingness to help
    > put
    > many corporations support desks to shame, I am going to pose the question
    > here.
    >
    > The instructions are to install the card, on power up dismiss the windows
    > found new hardware wizard. Run their own installation program on the cd
    > provided.
    >
    > Mine wont run. The install shield progress bar comes up and completes then
    > I get a modal type window (ie has focus until it is dealt with). The
    > caption is 'Warning'. The message is 'Not supported! -' and there is one
    > button marked ok. Either pushing ok or closing the window produce the same
    > behaviour - which is to stop the install dead in its tracks.
    >
    > It is difficult to tell what threw the exception, the dialog has no icon
    > in
    > the caption, it just says 'Warning'. Any advice would be most welcome.
    >

    > cheers

    Perhaps try downloading the latest drivers and software
    http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/support/download.asp?downlineid=63

    Software supplied on the CDs can sometimes be out of date and not supported
    by the current Windows version
    tatties, Nov 1, 2004
  4. Warwick wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I bought one of these beasties on recommendation. Apparently it is a
    > popular card.
    >
    > Mine dont work tho. Can't even install the bugger.
    >
    > I have taken the issue up with leadtek directly, they have promised
    > support but man are they dragging the chain. 6 days and we have just
    > managed to determine what model it is I have, nevermind determining the
    > problem, never mind a solution.
    >
    > Knowing the collective wisdom of this group and its willingness to help
    > put many corporations support desks to shame, I am going to pose the
    > question here.
    >
    > The instructions are to install the card, on power up dismiss the windows
    > found new hardware wizard. Run their own installation program on the cd
    > provided.
    >
    > Mine wont run. The install shield progress bar comes up and completes then
    > I get a modal type window (ie has focus until it is dealt with). The
    > caption is 'Warning'. The message is 'Not supported! -' and there is one
    > button marked ok. Either pushing ok or closing the window produce the same
    > behaviour - which is to stop the install dead in its tracks.
    >
    > It is difficult to tell what threw the exception, the dialog has no icon
    > in the caption, it just says 'Warning'. Any advice would be most welcome.

    Unually install CDS have a top-level setup program which runs some tests
    to try and determine what os is running then run the appropriate installer
    out of a sub-directory. The solution is to find the right sub-directory
    yourself and run the setup.exe program therein.
    Collector>>NZ, Nov 1, 2004
  5. Collector>>NZ said the following on 1/11/2004 19:23:
    > Warwick wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>I bought one of these beasties on recommendation. Apparently it is a
    >>popular card.
    >>
    >>Mine dont work tho. Can't even install the bugger.
    >>
    >>I have taken the issue up with leadtek directly, they have promised
    >>support but man are they dragging the chain. 6 days and we have just
    >>managed to determine what model it is I have, nevermind determining the
    >>problem, never mind a solution.
    >>
    >>Knowing the collective wisdom of this group and its willingness to help
    >>put many corporations support desks to shame, I am going to pose the
    >>question here.
    >>
    >>The instructions are to install the card, on power up dismiss the windows
    >>found new hardware wizard. Run their own installation program on the cd
    >>provided.
    >>
    >>Mine wont run. The install shield progress bar comes up and completes then
    >>I get a modal type window (ie has focus until it is dealt with). The
    >>caption is 'Warning'. The message is 'Not supported! -' and there is one
    >>button marked ok. Either pushing ok or closing the window produce the same
    >>behaviour - which is to stop the install dead in its tracks.
    >>
    >>It is difficult to tell what threw the exception, the dialog has no icon
    >>in the caption, it just says 'Warning'. Any advice would be most welcome.
    >>

    > Unually install CDS have a top-level setup program which runs some tests
    > to try and determine what os is running then run the appropriate installer
    > out of a sub-directory. The solution is to find the right sub-directory
    > yourself and run the setup.exe program therein.

    Hey Harry you **** wit you forgot to change your posting ID back from
    the attempt you made to impersonate a post of mine.

    --
    He was so narrow-minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.
    Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E | |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 1, 2004
  6. Warwick

    Collector Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:

    > Collector>>NZ said the following on 1/11/2004 19:23:
    >> Warwick wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>I bought one of these beasties on recommendation. Apparently it is a
    >>>popular card.
    >>>
    >>>Mine dont work tho. Can't even install the bugger.
    >>>
    >>>I have taken the issue up with leadtek directly, they have promised
    >>>support but man are they dragging the chain. 6 days and we have just
    >>>managed to determine what model it is I have, nevermind determining the
    >>>problem, never mind a solution.
    >>>
    >>>Knowing the collective wisdom of this group and its willingness to help
    >>>put many corporations support desks to shame, I am going to pose the
    >>>question here.
    >>>
    >>>The instructions are to install the card, on power up dismiss the windows
    >>>found new hardware wizard. Run their own installation program on the cd
    >>>provided.
    >>>
    >>>Mine wont run. The install shield progress bar comes up and completes
    >>>then I get a modal type window (ie has focus until it is dealt with). The
    >>>caption is 'Warning'. The message is 'Not supported! -' and there is one
    >>>button marked ok. Either pushing ok or closing the window produce the
    >>>same behaviour - which is to stop the install dead in its tracks.
    >>>
    >>>It is difficult to tell what threw the exception, the dialog has no icon
    >>>in the caption, it just says 'Warning'. Any advice would be most welcome.
    >>>

    >> Unually install CDS have a top-level setup program which runs some tests
    >> to try and determine what os is running then run the appropriate
    >> installer out of a sub-directory. The solution is to find the right
    >> sub-directory yourself and run the setup.exe program therein.
    >>

    > Hey Harry you **** wit you forgot to change your posting ID back from
    > the attempt you made to impersonate a post of mine.

    My name is not Harry and I am not impersonating anyone.
    Collector, Nov 1, 2004
  7. Warwick

    Gurble Guest

    On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 18:24:49 +1300, Warwick <> had this
    to say:

    >Hi,
    >I bought one of these beasties on recommendation. Apparently it is a
    >popular card.
    >
    >Mine dont work tho. Can't even install the bugger.
    >
    >I have taken the issue up with leadtek directly, they have promised support
    >but man are they dragging the chain. 6 days and we have just managed to
    >determine what model it is I have, nevermind determining the problem, never
    >mind a solution.
    >
    >Knowing the collective wisdom of this group and its willingness to help put
    >many corporations support desks to shame, I am going to pose the question
    >here.
    >
    >The instructions are to install the card, on power up dismiss the windows
    >found new hardware wizard. Run their own installation program on the cd
    >provided.
    >
    >Mine wont run. The install shield progress bar comes up and completes then
    >I get a modal type window (ie has focus until it is dealt with). The
    >caption is 'Warning'. The message is 'Not supported! -' and there is one
    >button marked ok. Either pushing ok or closing the window produce the same
    >behaviour - which is to stop the install dead in its tracks.
    >
    >It is difficult to tell what threw the exception, the dialog has no icon in
    >the caption, it just says 'Warning'. Any advice would be most welcome.

    You most likely have the incorrect CD - I've seen this occur with a
    Leadtek card once before. The CDs look the same, but one has an extra
    wee logo, and Leadtek had put the wrong one in the box.

    The one I saw had the drivers for the Leadtek USB solution, and spat
    the same error.

    Go and grab the drivers from:
    http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/support/download.asp?downlineid=63

    (Assuming a TV2000XP Deluxe).

    HTH - let us know how you get on.
    Gurble, Nov 1, 2004
  8. In article <1e4jzaeswxee7$>, Warwick <> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >I bought one of these beasties on recommendation. Apparently it is a
    >popular card.
    >
    >Mine dont work tho. Can't even install the bugger.

    If all else fails get a Knoppix CD from Dick Smith
    Its Linux that runs off the CD.(it wont install on your hard drive so its good
    for testing harware)
    If your card is OK it will work in Knoppix, at least then you can see if its
    a faulty card or a Win/driver/software issue
    Steve Robertson, Nov 1, 2004
  9. Warwick

    Toxickiwi Guest

    For my TV Card I downloaded *new* drivers off there web site, also
    when it find's new hardware you should be able to point it to the
    drivers on the CD.

    What OS & config do you have? If XP is SP2 installed?

    Toxickiwi

    Toxickiwi, Nov 1, 2004
  10. There was a serious issue with Ledteak video cards - the drivers did to the
    registry what Helen Clarke has been doing to the Economy. It even has its
    own name as the "Leadtek Effect". Basically the hardware was ok but not the
    software. This might still be the problem. The solution was to use
    Nvidia's own drivers - but in the meantime it had disabled the PCI Slot.
    The solution to that was a very - oh so many verys - deep registry dig that
    I found in www.annoyances.org. My sugestion is that if it is possible use
    different drivers on a different PCI slot.

    Andrei Sharko, Nov 1, 2004
  11. Warwick

    Barry Gibb Guest

    Andrei Sharko wrote:

    > There was a serious issue with Ledteak video cards - the drivers did to
    > the
    > registry what Helen Clarke has been doing to the Economy. It even has its
    > own name as the "Leadtek Effect". Basically the hardware was ok but not
    > the software.

    That is a fairly trite statement.
    The fact is that it is difficult to separate hardware and
    software because the hardware actually has a software component
    burnt into it.

    Ipso dipso, your trite statement that Helen Clarke has been doing
    something dire to the economy totally glosses over the much larger
    contribution to the economy that each individual and corporation makes.

    So, if you have a useful contribution to make perhaps you can leave
    out all the crappy illogical bits.

    Barry Gibb, Nov 1, 2004
  12. Warwick

    Hmmm Guest

    Barry Gibb wrote:
    > Andrei Sharko wrote:
    >

    >>There was a serious issue with Ledteak video cards - the drivers did to
    >>the
    >>registry what Helen Clarke has been doing to the Economy. It even has its
    >>own name as the "Leadtek Effect". Basically the hardware was ok but not
    >>the software.

    > That is a fairly trite statement.
    > The fact is that it is difficult to separate hardware and
    > software because the hardware actually has a software component
    > burnt into it.
    >
    > Ipso dipso, your trite statement that Helen Clarke has been doing
    > something dire to the economy totally glosses over the much larger
    > contribution to the economy that each individual and corporation makes.
    >
    > So, if you have a useful contribution to make perhaps you can leave
    > out all the crappy illogical bits.

    is she a relative of yours? or can you not take a joke? :)

    Hmmm, Nov 1, 2004
  13. Pretty difficult to swat flies when they dont know the difference bt
    hardware and software so go away Ipso Fasto - I am not going to wast another
    post on you.

    Andrei Sharko, Nov 1, 2004
  14. Warwick

    EMB Guest

    Andrei Sharko wrote:
    > There was a serious issue with Ledteak video cards - the drivers did to the
    > registry what Helen Clarke has been doing to the Economy. It even has its
    > own name as the "Leadtek Effect". Basically the hardware was ok but not the
    > software. This might still be the problem. The solution was to use
    > Nvidia's own drivers - but in the meantime it had disabled the PCI Slot.
    > The solution to that was a very - oh so many verys - deep registry dig that
    > I found in www.annoyances.org. My sugestion is that if it is possible use
    > different drivers on a different PCI slot.

    Hey Andrei - you might want to take your xtra email address off your
    "from" address and use something munged or different instead.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Nov 1, 2004
  15. Warwick

    Barry Gibb Guest

    Hmmm wrote:

    > Barry Gibb wrote:
    >> Andrei Sharko wrote:
    >>

    >>>There was a serious issue with Ledteak video cards - the drivers did to
    >>>the
    >>>registry what Helen Clarke has been doing to the Economy. It even has
    >>>its
    >>>own name as the "Leadtek Effect". Basically the hardware was ok but not
    >>>the software.

    >> That is a fairly trite statement.
    >> The fact is that it is difficult to separate hardware and
    >> software because the hardware actually has a software component
    >> burnt into it.
    >>
    >> Ipso dipso, your trite statement that Helen Clarke has been doing
    >> something dire to the economy totally glosses over the much larger
    >> contribution to the economy that each individual and corporation makes.
    >>
    >> So, if you have a useful contribution to make perhaps you can leave
    >> out all the crappy illogical bits.

    > is she a relative of yours? or can you not take a joke? :)

    How does one tell if it is a joke :-?
    Barry Gibb, Nov 1, 2004
  16. Warwick

    JedMeister Guest

    "Warwick" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I bought one of these beasties on recommendation. Apparently it is a
    > popular card.
    >
    > Mine dont work tho. Can't even install the bugger.
    >
    > I have taken the issue up with leadtek directly, they have promised
    > support
    > but man are they dragging the chain. 6 days and we have just managed to
    > determine what model it is I have, nevermind determining the problem,
    > never
    > mind a solution.
    >
    > Knowing the collective wisdom of this group and its willingness to help
    > put
    > many corporations support desks to shame, I am going to pose the question
    > here.
    >
    > The instructions are to install the card, on power up dismiss the windows
    > found new hardware wizard. Run their own installation program on the cd
    > provided.
    >
    > Mine wont run. The install shield progress bar comes up and completes then
    > I get a modal type window (ie has focus until it is dealt with). The
    > caption is 'Warning'. The message is 'Not supported! -' and there is one
    > button marked ok. Either pushing ok or closing the window produce the same
    > behaviour - which is to stop the install dead in its tracks.
    >
    > It is difficult to tell what threw the exception, the dialog has no icon
    > in
    > the caption, it just says 'Warning'. Any advice would be most welcome.
    >

    > cheers

    I had lots of problems with the software on this card. E.g, winfast PVR
    just won't uninstall. Then, you can't reinstall the new version of winfast
    cos the old one is still there.

    But, once it is stable it is pretty good - i could only recommend installing
    the drivers manually as the prior posts.
    JedMeister, Nov 1, 2004
  17. Warwick

    John R... Guest

    Warwick <> wrote in message news:<1e4jzaeswxee7$>...
    > Hi,
    > I bought one of these beasties on recommendation. Apparently it is a
    > popular card.
    >
    > Mine dont work tho. Can't even install the bugger.
    >
    > I have taken the issue up with leadtek directly, they have promised support
    > but man are they dragging the chain. 6 days and we have just managed to
    > determine what model it is I have, nevermind determining the problem, never
    > mind a solution.
    >
    > Knowing the collective wisdom of this group and its willingness to help put
    > many corporations support desks to shame, I am going to pose the question
    > here.
    >
    > The instructions are to install the card, on power up dismiss the windows
    > found new hardware wizard. Run their own installation program on the cd
    > provided.
    >
    > Mine wont run. The install shield progress bar comes up and completes then
    > I get a modal type window (ie has focus until it is dealt with). The
    > caption is 'Warning'. The message is 'Not supported! -' and there is one
    > button marked ok. Either pushing ok or closing the window produce the same
    > behaviour - which is to stop the install dead in its tracks.
    >
    > It is difficult to tell what threw the exception, the dialog has no icon in
    > the caption, it just says 'Warning'. Any advice would be most welcome.
    >

    > cheers

    I had problems with one of these. Installing into a Leadtek
    motherboard (k7ncrg18 pro II) no less!! Card worked fine when system
    booted into Mandrake Linux, but refused to install drivers and Blue
    Screened very hard crashes in XP. Tried updated drivers etc, but to no
    avail.

    Solution was to plug the card into a different PCI slot and then all
    was good after that. Hope this helps.

    John
    John R..., Nov 1, 2004
  18. Warwick

    Warwick Guest

    BruceFan says put card in different slot, install driver then PVR, using
    the new drivers at url blah blah.
    He says it very badly, but I forgive him since English is obviously not his
    first language.
    So nz.comp beats his response time by hundreds of hours, expresses itself
    with a tad more clarity, and covers all the bases. Shit hot, and thanks.

    A side issue - how did this happen?

    I am going to guess. Xp has asked me many times if I want to know why
    driver signing is important. I have never bothered to find out, but I have
    installed many drivers with nasy XP warnings about signatures etc. Even
    when the driver writer is the manufacturer of the device you wish to have
    driven.

    So I'd guess driver signing is important, because ms would like programmers
    to send their drivers to MS to be signed and then MS can maybe add them in
    to OS dists.

    I figure a lot of the programmers out there can't be bothered having their
    drivers signed, and may even resent being told that they should. So they
    dont bother, and you see install instructions that say 'ignore any
    warnings' or 'dismiss the found new hardware wizard and run our install
    program'.

    In this case the second method was used, presumably thoroughly benchtested
    and then released. Has something happened to windows that would
    fundamentally break the code? Was it SP2 perhaps?

    cheers
    Warwick, Nov 2, 2004