    of data with leading zeros from text files and save/retain leading
    zeros?? The old MS Works for the Mac would do this but is old now and I
    need to try to stick to a Windows environment.

    Gary, Jul 24, 2004

  2. Gary

    FatMax Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 03:07:52 GMT, Gary <> wrote:

    >I have an application issue where I need to save leading zeros from a
    >flat database and move it into a spreadsheet-type environment where I
    >might be able to create multiple copies of a particular line by using a
    >fill-down function. I can do this with Excel, but there is the
    >possibility that it might see several hands, and they tend to try to
    >sort Excel, and this can foul it up royally. I need to stick with
    >something that if sorted won't munge tghe data. Anyone know of a
    >database app/spreadsheet app that will permit filldowns, permit pasting
    >of data with leading zeros from text files and save/retain leading
    >zeros??

    Calc which comes supplied with OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 supports easy
    formatting with leading zeros (highlight cells and select format_# of
    leading zeros) and allows fill down. If the cells are formatted as
    number before you do the import from the text file "munging" isn't a
    problem. As you're familiar with Excel it'll take you about 2 minutes
    to pick Calc up :)

    You can download the latest version of OOo from
    http://download.openoffice.org/1.1.2/index.html
    for free - 64 MB for the Windows version or buy a copy on CD from a
    local distributor at
    http://distribution.openoffice.org/cdrom/sellers.html
    Average cost in the UK is about 5GBP - which is slightly cheaper than
    MSO!

    >The old MS Works for the Mac would do this but is old now and I
    >need to try to stick to a Windows environment.

    Calc will save into xls format or you can just *legally* burn copies
    of OOo for the users who'll use your app.

    HTH

    --
    FatMax

    FatMax, Jul 24, 2004

  3. Gary

    Gary Danaher Guest

    I just looked at OO Calc and it behaves precisely like Excel. I'm
    looking for a spreadsheet/database that is essentially idiot proof so
    that it will permit both fill down and permit someone to click a single
    column to sort, and it will view it as a database and carry the sort to
    all columns of info. I've had folks use Excel to sort things as a
    database and they managed to destroy everything. The only program I am
    aware of where it worked properly was in the MS Works for the
    Macintosh--the Windows version of Works will sort properly but won't
    import leading zeros as text. I can create a Works database and enter a
    leading zero just fine, but I can't import a text file with a leading
    zero. This all relates to a database with property serial numbers, room
    numbers,etc. which must have a leading zero.

    Gary Danaher, Jul 24, 2004