    fixed or replaced by Nikon? I tried to contact service through email
    but never heard back.

    - wil

    wilmac, Dec 3, 2003

  2. wilmac

    Azzz1588 Guest

    In article <>,
    (wilmac) writes:

    >Can a broken battery door (it's plastic "pin" attachment to camera) be
    >fixed or replaced by Nikon? I tried to contact service through email
    >but never heard back.

    Do a quick google search and you can do it yourself.

    I just posted a link for this yesterday, I just
    put in Nikon 950 repair, and it was one of the first hit's.

    Azzz1588, Dec 3, 2003

  3. wilmac

    Mister Max Guest

    (wilmac) posted:

    > Can a broken battery door (it's plastic "pin" attachment to camera) be
    > fixed or replaced by Nikon? I tried to contact service through email
    > but never heard back.
    >
    > - wil

    Yes, it's a common problem. They'll charge about $200, as I recall from
    having mine fixed.
    - Max

    --
    MisterMax
    Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco,

    Mister Max, Dec 3, 2003
  4. wilmac

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <Xns9446B2147CBE0anonrandomsequenceof@216.196.97.136>,
    says...
    > Yes, it's a common problem. They'll charge about $200, as I recall from
    > having mine fixed.
    > - Max

    Hell for that you might as well just buy a 990 off Ebay. Add $50-100 and
    get a 995.

    --
    __________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Dec 4, 2003
  5. wilmac

    zbzbzb Guest

    >> Yes, it's a common problem. They'll charge about $200, as I recall from
    >> having mine fixed.
    >> - Max
    >>

    >Hell for that you might as well just buy a 990 off Ebay. Add $50-100 and
    >get a 995.
    >
    >--
    >__________________________________
    >Todd Walker
    >http://www.toddwalker.net
    >Canon 10D page:
    >http://www.toddwalker.net/canon10d
    >__________________________________

    Or, put a fork in it and sell it for what you can get and get a newer and
    better camera.

    zbzbzb, Dec 4, 2003
  6. wilmac

    Kris Guest

    "wilmac" <> wrote in message
    > Can a broken battery door (it's plastic "pin" attachment to camera) be
    > fixed or replaced by Nikon? I tried to contact service through email
    > but never heard back.
    >
    > - wil

    my 990 cover broke, still holding with a small self tapper in the middle!
    but have a read of
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1007&message=2267289

    join the link if it splits on wrapping.

    Chris

    Kris, Dec 4, 2003
  7. wilmac

    wilmac Guest

    Thanks to all who replied. I've already seen the fixit yourself stuff
    but was hoping to get the camera's autofocus adjusted as well. It
    also has the famous mode switch problems. But at $200.00 bucks forget
    it. Sheesh. I've got 10 year old computers which may be obsolete but
    I can still use them. They're not falling apart. When I spent big
    bucks for the Nikon a few years ago I new it would loose value quickly
    but I always thought I could use it. Hell at least its small and can
    be thrown in the closet easily. But now it's just trash - and I took
    very good care of it.

    Time to think of the new camera. I liked the 950 even with its
    peculiarities - so first thought is the Nikon 5700 or D100 even.
    Expensive so I want quality imaging and parts. But if either of these
    are going to be junk in a couple of years because a simple part fails
    easily I may as well look else where. Are Rebels or Olympus any
    better as far as construction go? Sorry off topic, so no need to
    respond.

    Thanks for your answers.

    Wil

    wilmac, Dec 4, 2003
  8. wilmac

    Kris Guest

    > Time to think of the new camera. I liked the 950 even with its
    > peculiarities - so first thought is the Nikon 5700 or D100 even.
    > Expensive so I want quality imaging and parts. But if either of these
    > are going to be junk in a couple of years because a simple part fails
    > easily I may as well look else where. Are Rebels or Olympus any
    > better as far as construction go? Sorry off topic, so no need to
    > respond.
    >
    > Thanks for your answers.

    Totally agree, I like the 990 and it's still going strong even on crutches.

    I decided to buy Canon G3 but ended up with a G5 cos the G3 is
    now obsolete. Well pleased with the results especially now I can
    use an external flash .. but I still take more pictures with the Nikon.

    Chris

    Kris, Dec 4, 2003
  9. wilmac

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Thanks to all who replied. I've already seen the fixit yourself stuff
    > but was hoping to get the camera's autofocus adjusted as well. It
    > also has the famous mode switch problems. But at $200.00 bucks forget
    > it. Sheesh. I've got 10 year old computers which may be obsolete but
    > I can still use them. They're not falling apart. When I spent big
    > bucks for the Nikon a few years ago I new it would loose value quickly
    > but I always thought I could use it. Hell at least its small and can
    > be thrown in the closet easily. But now it's just trash - and I took
    > very good care of it.
    >
    > Time to think of the new camera. I liked the 950 even with its
    > peculiarities - so first thought is the Nikon 5700 or D100 even.
    > Expensive so I want quality imaging and parts. But if either of these
    > are going to be junk in a couple of years because a simple part fails
    > easily I may as well look else where. Are Rebels or Olympus any
    > better as far as construction go? Sorry off topic, so no need to
    > respond.
    >
    > Thanks for your answers.
    >
    > Wil

    Has the front rubber grip fallen off your 950? If not you are lucky?
    What about the power switch? Is it still working properly? Again if so,
    lucky. Do you use a tripod or flash bracket a lot? If so have you
    stripped the plastic tripod socket yet?

    The 950 was a great camera and I took just under 10,000 pictures with
    mine but from a build quality standpoint it was a complete piece of
    shit. I've held the D100 and compared to my 10D, it feels cheap. Get a
    Canon. I've owned an S100, G1, G2, Pro90, and now my 10D and I've never
    had a second's trouble with any of them.

    --
    __________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Dec 5, 2003
  10. wilmac

    Larry Jaques Guest

    On 4 Dec 2003 13:49:57 -0800, (wilmac) brought
    forth from the murky depths:

    >Thanks to all who replied. I've already seen the fixit yourself stuff
    >but was hoping to get the camera's autofocus adjusted as well. It
    >also has the famous mode switch problems. But at $200.00 bucks forget
    >it. Sheesh. I've got 10 year old computers which may be obsolete but
    >I can still use them. They're not falling apart. When I spent big
    >bucks for the Nikon a few years ago I new it would loose value quickly
    >but I always thought I could use it. Hell at least its small and can
    >be thrown in the closet easily. But now it's just trash - and I took
    >very good care of it.

    Far be it from me to suggest ye olde duct tape on a Nikon,
    but it might beat a $200 repair fee. Check with local camera
    and machine shops before you toss it. I'll bet a machinist would
    do it for <$50.

    --This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels--
    http://diversify.com Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases

    Larry Jaques, Dec 5, 2003
  11. wilmac

    wilmac Guest

    Thanks again to all. I'll definately will be taking a look at other
    vendors. The Rebel is tempting. But I'll have too look at the D100
    since I will need to by new lenses anyway. I hope the Industry wises
    up soon.

    BTW - Since the Nikon is kaput I'm back using my 23 year old Olympus
    OM10. Everything still works. If I remember right I paid about
    $300.00 for the body and a great 50MM f1.8 lense. All the meters
    work, Auto shoot still works, Flash still works, and the optional
    Manual Override switch still works. Shutter sounds great. All after
    just putting in new batteries. I quess they just knew how to make 'em
    in those days. I couldn't even guess how far it's traveled and how
    many pictures it has taken.

    - wil

    wilmac, Dec 5, 2003