LDR

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony Cooper, Jun 26, 2013.

  1. Tony Cooper

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Thursday, 4 July 2013 16:41:31 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-07-04 08:14:47 -0700, Whisky-dave <> said:

    > >> What others? Certainly none of us in the photo groups who use decent

    > >> Usenet clients.

    > >> ...but nobody else can.

    > > Google is your friend typing in such a Q I get.

    > > https://plus.google.com/100024421130865116423/posts/Z3JsJFoiEQN

    > So? You had an individual who has no interest in Usenet groups
    >
    > wondering why us fossils bother.

    Why do we bother ?

    > Google Groups is a hijacking of
    >
    > Usenet, and while G+ has some interesting and informative circles, it
    >
    > is not a Usenet replacement.

    Not sure how it's hijacking, it's almost like you are implying google is doing sonething that might be seen as evil.

    > > Then join me on facebook or perhaps myspace.

    > I don't do Facebook, Myspace, or Twitter.

    I have accounts but only grudging use facebook.

    > Never have, and don't see
    >
    > them in my future. I have a G+ account and go there from time to time,

    I think I do to0, and don;t go there.

    Whisky-dave, Jul 5, 2013

  2. Tony Cooper

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Friday, 5 July 2013 12:54:15 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-07-05 03:16:43 -0700, Whisky-dave <> said:
    >

    > > On Thursday, 4 July 2013 16:41:31 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:

    > >> Google Groups is a hijacking of Usenet, and while G+ has some

    > >> interesting and informative circles, it

    > >> is not a Usenet replacement.

    > > Not sure how it's hijacking, it's almost like you are implying google

    > > is doing sonething that might be seen as evil.

    > By calling their service "Google Groups", Google is making the
    >
    > implication for those ignorant of all the other gateways to the Usenet,

    The same way as googlemail gives the ignorant the idea that there's no other email or search facility ?

    > that they are responsible for the existence of those NG's.

    I don't see it like that.
    Here we have the qmc sever that they only want me to use for official college stuff. Do they own the NGs they carry ?
    They do a few although I'm not sure about ownership is that not tied in with IP.
    You can;t own the posts, just the hardware, even google knows that.

    > They are
    >
    > also implying that their piece of crap Usenet client should be the
    >
    > preferred method of accessing "their groups". However, we know better,
    >
    > don't we?

    I DO NOT access their groups, I use their server which propergates the posts to other servers not all servers carry all groups.

    > I call that a hijacking of Usenet by Google. As to that being evil or
    >
    > not, I just think it is another piece of corporate self promotion.

    If I knew how to get past all the high level security they have here I might well do so, after all NGs were the first place I got my downloads from long beferoe bittorrent.

    Whisky-dave, Jul 8, 2013