LDR

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony Cooper, Jun 26, 2013.

  1. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 08:30:17 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
    <> wrote:

    >On Friday, 28 June 2013 15:13:50 UTC+1, Tony Cooper wrote:

    >> >Trouble is I see your post as double line spaced mine looks great[1]

    >> >How do you set line lenghts ?

    >> I don't know. I know that I set my line length in my newsreader
    >>
    >> (Forte Agent) and that there's a option in "tools" where I do this.

    >I'm using google mail and google groups.
    >

    >My options apprear to be
    >Setting:-
    >Display density
    >Auto
    >Cosy
    >comfortable
    >compact
    >
    >I'm on auto.

    >> don't know what newsreader you use or how it can (or if it can) be
    >>
    >> done in that.
    >>
    >> >Again all my lines are single spaced, my lines wrap corectly but don't add extra ">" when the line breaks, whereas yours appear to give a line feed and carragige return at the end of each line, which results in double spacing.

    >> Your posts are double spaced and long lines as I see them. I deleted
    >>
    >> the spaces and broke the lines in my other post just to make it easier
    >>
    >> to read.

    >So you're having problems with your newsreader too ?

    No. It's only certain people's posts where all the blank lines are
    added, and yours are the worst. While I'm not ruling out a defect in
    my newsreader, the localization of the problem to certain people
    indicates to me that the problem is at their end.

    >> Unless you have an option in the newsreader to set the line length,
    >>
    >> the only thing you can do is hit the "return" to create a line break.

    >The above was in two lines.
    >I have deleted the extra blank line.

    It's back.

    >After typing the line above after I hit the (Period) I hit carraige return
    >

    >The above was in two lines, second line ?.
    >
    >Above I deleted the period replacede it with a comma carried on typing
    >on the same line, only doing a CR at the end.

    As far as I can tell, your posts appear to all here with lines that
    require scrolling to read and extra spaces between the lines. I don't
    think it's just me.

    The decision of whether to change or not change is up to you. There
    are newsreaders that don't cause these problems, but you may not feel
    it's worth the effort of changing. All I can do is tell you what I
    see and relay that I'm going to pass on reading many of your posts
    because of the scrolling problem. It's not at all important that one
    person passes, but it might be important if others feel the same.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jun 28, 2013

  2. Tony Cooper

    PhotoPhartz Guest

    Tony Cooper <> wrote in

    > As far as I can tell, your posts appear to all here with lines that
    > require scrolling to read and extra spaces between the lines. I don't
    > think it's just me.
    >
    > The decision of whether to change or not change is up to you. There
    > are newsreaders that don't cause these problems, but you may not feel
    > it's worth the effort of changing. All I can do is tell you what I
    > see and relay that I'm going to pass on reading many of your posts
    > because of the scrolling problem. It's not at all important that one
    > person passes, but it might be important if others feel the same.

    Yes. I too see Whiskey-dave's posts in the same malformed format that Tony
    does. I use XNews.

    <http://Xnews.newsguy.com>

    It's free. Doesn't even need to be installed. Just unzip it to a folder
    of your choice, set up your news server or servers, and run it. The
    version to get, if you decide to try it is the latest "Test" version at the
    upper left of the page at the link above.

    There's free newservers out there that are extremely simple to sign up for
    as well if you need to stop using Google - and you DO, even if you don't
    know it. Eternal September and AIOE being two right off the top of my
    head.

    If everybody that uses Google or Windows Live Mail would switch to any
    other newsreader what's left of usenet would be a much nicer place.

    --

    Pat

    email: phartzATcoxDOTnet

    PhotoPhartz, Jun 28, 2013

  3. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/28/2013 6:05 PM, PhotoPhartz wrote:
    > Tony Cooper <> wrote in
    >
    >> As far as I can tell, your posts appear to all here with lines that
    >> require scrolling to read and extra spaces between the lines. I don't
    >> think it's just me.
    >>
    >> The decision of whether to change or not change is up to you. There
    >> are newsreaders that don't cause these problems, but you may not feel
    >> it's worth the effort of changing. All I can do is tell you what I
    >> see and relay that I'm going to pass on reading many of your posts
    >> because of the scrolling problem. It's not at all important that one
    >> person passes, but it might be important if others feel the same.
    >>

    > Yes. I too see Whiskey-dave's posts in the same malformed format that Tony
    > does. I use XNews.
    >
    > <http://Xnews.newsguy.com>
    >
    > It's free. Doesn't even need to be installed. Just unzip it to a folder
    > of your choice, set up your news server or servers, and run it. The
    > version to get, if you decide to try it is the latest "Test" version at the
    > upper left of the page at the link above.
    >
    > There's free newservers out there that are extremely simple to sign up for
    > as well if you need to stop using Google - and you DO, even if you don't
    > know it. Eternal September and AIOE being two right off the top of my
    > head.
    >
    > If everybody that uses Google or Windows Live Mail would switch to any
    > other newsreader what's left of usenet would be a much nicer place.

    I looked at Eternal September. I couldn't get it to show many groups,
    including this one. Yes, it's free, and well worth what they charge.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jun 29, 2013
  4. Tony Cooper

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    > I looked at Eternal September. I couldn't get it to show many groups,
    > including this one.

    then you did something wrong.

    eternal-september obviously has this group, along with over 30,000
    others.

    nospam, Jun 29, 2013
  5. Tony Cooper

    David Taylor Guest

    On 29/06/2013 04:56, PeterN wrote:
    []
    > I looked at Eternal September. I couldn't get it to show many groups,
    > including this one. Yes, it's free, and well worth what they charge.

    You may need to sign up before the full list of groups is available.
    They carry some 30,000 non-binary groups. Very friendly, and very helpful.
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Jun 29, 2013
  6. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/29/2013 1:48 AM, David Taylor wrote:
    > On 29/06/2013 04:56, PeterN wrote:
    > []
    >> I looked at Eternal September. I couldn't get it to show many groups,
    >> including this one. Yes, it's free, and well worth what they charge.

    > You may need to sign up before the full list of groups is available.
    > They carry some 30,000 non-binary groups. Very friendly, and very helpful.

    I signed up, they sent me a confirmatory email and password. When I went
    online, all I got was a handful of groups, none of which I have any
    interest in. While free is great, I don't mind paying for convenience.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jun 29, 2013
  7. Tony Cooper

    David Taylor Guest

    On 29/06/2013 15:54, PeterN wrote:
    > On 6/29/2013 1:48 AM, David Taylor wrote:
    >> On 29/06/2013 04:56, PeterN wrote:
    >> []
    >>> I looked at Eternal September. I couldn't get it to show many groups,
    >>> including this one. Yes, it's free, and well worth what they charge.

    >> You may need to sign up before the full list of groups is available.
    >> They carry some 30,000 non-binary groups. Very friendly, and very
    >> helpful.

    > I signed up, they sent me a confirmatory email and password. When I went
    > online, all I got was a handful of groups, none of which I have any
    > interest in. While free is great, I don't mind paying for convenience.

    You've done something wrong, then. I see over 29,000 groups when I
    check. Perhaps you need to refresh the list?
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Jun 29, 2013
  8. Tony Cooper

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    > >> I looked at Eternal September. I couldn't get it to show many groups,
    > >> including this one. Yes, it's free, and well worth what they charge.

    > > You may need to sign up before the full list of groups is available.
    > > They carry some 30,000 non-binary groups. Very friendly, and very helpful.

    > I signed up, they sent me a confirmatory email and password. When I went
    > online, all I got was a handful of groups, none of which I have any
    > interest in. While free is great, I don't mind paying for convenience.

    then you definitely did something wrong.

    nospam, Jun 29, 2013
  9. Tony Cooper

    nospam Guest

    In article <201306291019527987-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    > >> I signed up, they sent me a confirmatory email and password. When I went
    > >> online, all I got was a handful of groups, none of which I have any
    > >> interest in. While free is great, I don't mind paying for convenience.

    > > You've done something wrong, then. I see over 29,000 groups when I
    > > check. Perhaps you need to refresh the list?

    > ...but all Peter wants are the 4 groups he is interested in.

    then all he needs to do is read those 4.

    nospam, Jun 29, 2013
  10. Tony Cooper

    PhotoPhartz Guest

    PeterN <> wrote in news:kqllsi02803
    @news4.newsguy.com:

    > I looked at Eternal September. I couldn't get it to show many groups,
    > including this one. Yes, it's free, and well worth what they charge.

    I already had the full newsgroup list for Eternal September but today I
    used the "get new groups" option and now It's up to 30,450 groups,
    including this one.

    Not singling you out Peter, but it boggles my mind how all over usenet, all
    the groups I visit, some of the most prolific, argumentative, informative,
    whiney, helpful (among other things) posters can't manage to set up a
    simple newsreader on a simple newserver and make it work. They continue to
    force everybody else to scroll through 500 lines of indecipherable, badly
    formatted text to get to the bottom where they say "you did not" or "me
    to" or something equally brilliant.

    --

    Pat

    email: phartzATcoxDOTnet

    PhotoPhartz, Jun 30, 2013
  11. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/30/2013 12:07 AM, PhotoPhartz wrote:
    > PeterN <> wrote in news:kqllsi02803
    > @news4.newsguy.com:
    >
    >> I looked at Eternal September. I couldn't get it to show many groups,
    >> including this one. Yes, it's free, and well worth what they charge.
    >>

    > I already had the full newsgroup list for Eternal September but today I
    > used the "get new groups" option and now It's up to 30,450 groups,
    > including this one.
    >
    > Not singling you out Peter, but it boggles my mind how all over usenet, all
    > the groups I visit, some of the most prolific, argumentative, informative,
    > whiney, helpful (among other things) posters can't manage to set up a
    > simple newsreader on a simple newserver and make it work. They continue to
    > force everybody else to scroll through 500 lines of indecipherable, badly
    > formatted text to get to the bottom where they say "you did not" or "me
    > to" or something equally brilliant.

    Thanks for your response.
    I use Thunderbird, tried it, and no groups appeared. I found a reader
    that works, so I'll pay a few bucks. Not worth futzing.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jun 30, 2013
  12. Tony Cooper

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Sunday, 30 June 2013 05:07:40 UTC+1, PhotoPhartz wrote:
    > PeterN <> wrote in news:kqllsi02803
    >
    > @news4.newsguy.com:
    >

    > > I looked at Eternal September. I couldn't get it to show many groups,

    > > including this one. Yes, it's free, and well worth what they charge.

    > I already had the full newsgroup list for Eternal September but today I
    >
    > used the "get new groups" option and now It's up to 30,450 groups,
    >
    > including this one.
    >

    > Not singling you out Peter, but it boggles my mind how all over usenet, all
    >
    > the groups I visit, some of the most prolific, argumentative, informative,
    >
    > whiney, helpful (among other things) posters can't manage to set up a
    >
    > simple newsreader on a simple newserver and make it work.

    They explain how I can get googlegroups working, what simple things do I have to do.

    > working They continue to
    >
    > force everybody else to scroll through 500 lines of indecipherable,

    if thos epeole didn;lt complain about top post they wouldn't need to scrollthrough anything. Some can;t be truste4d to quote properly so that's why text is left in.And then there's those so called intelgent pople who can;t even parse a simple spelling mistake without creatign a new pragraph to complain about it.

    >badly
    >
    > formatted text to get to the bottom where they say "you did not" or "me
    >
    > to" or something equally brilliant.

    So allow TOP posting. ;-)

    Whisky-dave, Jul 1, 2013
  13. Tony Cooper

    PhotoPhartz Guest

    Whisky-dave <> wrote in

    > if thos epeole didn;lt complain about top post they wouldn't need to
    > scroll through anything. Some can;t be truste4d to quote properly so
    > that's why text is left in.And then there's those so called intelgent
    > pople who can;t even parse a simple spelling mistake without creatign
    > a new pragraph to complain about it.

    The above paragraph as you posted was all on one endless line. My
    newsreader fixed it while quoting it. Let's all just celebrate the simple
    spelling mistake.

    >>badly
    >>
    >> formatted text to get to the bottom where they say "you did not" or
    >> "me

    >> to" or something equally brilliant.

    > So allow TOP posting. ;-)

    The other lost art is editing down the previous post to the parts you are
    actually responding to. As opposed to quoting the entire thread in every
    post. Top posting needn't be an issue if just the relevant parts are
    quoted. A real newsreader easily provides for this function.

    You might have asked something about getting Googolo to work. It doesn't.
    It can't. It won't. Sorry.

    --

    Pat

    email: phartzATcoxDOTnet

    PhotoPhartz, Jul 1, 2013
  14. Tony Cooper

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Monday, 1 July 2013 17:13:47 UTC+1, PhotoPhartz wrote:
    > Whisky-dave <> wrote in

    > > if thos epeole didn;lt complain about top post they wouldn't need to

    > > scroll through anything. Some can;t be truste4d to quote properly so

    > > that's why text is left in.And then there's those so called intelgent

    > > pople who can;t even parse a simple spelling mistake without creatign

    > > a new pragraph to complain about it.

    > The above paragraph as you posted was all on one endless line. My
    >
    > newsreader fixed it while quoting it. Let's all just celebrate the simple
    >
    > spelling mistake.

    So is it that you prefer one endless line or do you prefer
    ~5 double spaced lines as I read it now.

    > > So allow TOP posting. ;-)

    > The other lost art is editing down the previous post to the parts you are
    >
    > actually responding to.

    I do try to do that but most post are more than one subject or point to reply to.

    > As opposed to quoting the entire thread in every
    >
    > post. Top posting needn't be an issue if just the relevant parts are
    >
    > quoted. A real newsreader easily provides for this function.

    The newsreader is irrelivant to this point.

    > You might have asked something about getting Googolo to work. It doesn't.
    >
    > It can't. It won't. Sorry.

    doens't worry me.

    works reasonabley well for me.
    if fact when someone post from a proper newsreader all I see is two words
    that say "quoted test" doesn;t matter whether tehat test in one word or 100 paragraphs I don;t see it iunless I click on it.
    I think that is a better solution I have the same system in gmail too, it's very useful in that you only ever see that text if you click on it.

    Whisky-dave, Jul 2, 2013
  15. Tony Cooper

    David Taylor Guest

    On 29/06/2013 04:56, PeterN wrote:
    []
    > I looked at Eternal September. I couldn't get it to show many groups,
    > including this one. Yes, it's free, and well worth what they charge.

    As has already been mentioned, E-S /does/ carry this newsgroup, as well
    as some 30,000 others. I'm posting from E-S right now. You do need to
    register though. If you're having problems with E-S, they have a
    responsive support newsgroup.
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Jul 2, 2013
  16. Tony Cooper

    PhotoPhartz Guest

    Whisky-dave <> wrote in

    >> You might have asked something about getting Googolo to work. It
    >> doesn't.
    >>
    >> It can't. It won't. Sorry.

    > doens't worry me.
    >
    > works reasonabley well for me.
    > if fact when someone post from a proper newsreader all I see is two
    > words that say "quoted test" doesn;t matter whether tehat test in one
    > word or 100 paragraphs I don;t see it iunless I click on it. I think
    > that is a better solution I have the same system in gmail too, it's
    > very useful in that you only ever see that text if you click on it.

    So you just said that you can't read proper newsgroup posts with your
    current method. It's also obvious that you can't post in a manner that
    allows others to read your posts easily either. Yet you say it "works
    reasonabley well for me". How's that?

    Carry on . . .

    --

    Pat

    email: phartzATcoxDOTnet

    PhotoPhartz, Jul 2, 2013
  17. Tony Cooper

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Tuesday, 2 July 2013 20:28:05 UTC+1, PhotoPhartz wrote:
    > Whisky-dave <> wrote in

    > >> You might have asked something about getting Googolo to work. It

    > >> doesn't.

    > >> It can't. It won't. Sorry.

    > > doens't worry me.

    > > works reasonabley well for me.

    > > if fact when someone post from a proper newsreader all I see is two

    > > words that say "quoted test" doesn;t matter whether tehat test in one

    > > word or 100 paragraphs I don;t see it iunless I click on it. I think

    > > that is a better solution I have the same system in gmail too, it's

    > > very useful in that you only ever see that text if you click on it.

    > So you just said that you can't read proper newsgroup posts with your
    >
    > current method. It's also obvious that you can't post in a manner that
    >
    > allows others to read your posts easily either. Yet you say it "works
    >
    > reasonabley well for me". How's that?

    Because it works reasonabley OK for me.
    Even though I dopn;t know what "Googolo" is .

    This isn't the only group I subscribe too either, I'm on a mMc group that doesn't appear to have problems, and a DIY group and a few others.

    Whisky-dave, Jul 3, 2013
  18. Tony Cooper

    PhotoPhartz Guest

    Whisky-dave <> wrote in

    > Because it works reasonabley OK for me.
    > Even though I dopn;t know what "Googolo" is .

    That's a simple (but intentional) spelling error. Those aren't a problem
    are they?

    > This isn't the only group I subscribe too either, I'm on a mMc group
    > that doesn't appear to have problems, and a DIY group and a few
    > others.

    The point you're missing is that usenet newsgroups are a text based medium.
    They are not a GUI/web broweser based "forum". Proper newsreaders format,
    quote, and thread messages properly for the usenet protocol. Googolo
    groups is a piss poor attempt at providing some kind of point and click
    graphical interface for usenet - which doesn't have one. It doesn't work.

    Over and out.

    --

    Pat

    email: phartzATcoxDOTnet

    PhotoPhartz, Jul 3, 2013
  19. Tony Cooper

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Wednesday, 3 July 2013 18:57:53 UTC+1, PhotoPhartz wrote:
    > Whisky-dave <> wrote in

    > > Because it works reasonabley OK for me.

    > > Even though I dopn;t know what "Googolo" is .

    > That's a simple (but intentional) spelling error. Those aren't a problem
    >
    > are they?

    Intentional well surely you should check your intentions first.

    http://www.miniclip.com/players/en/card/?uid=19355179

    Now due to me having a working brain, I assumed this wasn't what you meant or what you are refering to.

    So are spelling erros even intentional one a probloem, not usually for me but it does seem for many on here (or is it a significant few) do have problems.
    Some even try to read between the lines and when they are blank they have a problem with them.

    > > This isn't the only group I subscribe too either, I'm on a mMc group

    > > that doesn't appear to have problems, and a DIY group and a few

    > > others.

    > The point you're missing is that usenet newsgroups are a text based medium.
    >
    > They are not a GUI/web broweser based "forum".

    Yes I know.

    > Proper newsreaders format,
    >
    > quote, and thread messages properly for the usenet protocol. Googolo
    >
    > groups is a piss poor attempt at providing some kind of point and click
    >
    > graphical interface for usenet - which doesn't have one. It doesn't work.

    I do not see this as a graphical interface for usenet.

    > Over and out.

    It's works for me and for others.
    It might not be the best, but I can live with it.

    Whisky-dave, Jul 4, 2013
  20. Tony Cooper

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Thursday, 4 July 2013 14:17:12 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-07-04 05:38:42 -0700, Whisky-dave <> said:
    >

    > > It's works for me and for others.

    > What others? Certainly none of us in the photo groups who use decent
    >
    > Usenet clients.
    >

    > > It might not be the best, but I can live with it.

    > ...but nobody else can.

    Google is your friend typing in such a Q I get.

    https://plus.google.com/100024421130865116423/posts/Z3JsJFoiEQN

    Then join me on facebook or perhaps myspace.

    Whisky-dave, Jul 4, 2013