    and they don't find it. Is there a way to get rid of this for good?
    None of my running processes or startup processes look suspicious at
    all, I've looked them all up on line and they are good.

    alice, Nov 9, 2007

  2. alice

    meerkat Guest

    "alice" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a XP PC that has the PWS.LDPinchIE malware on it. At this
    > point, after finally getting it to do some windows updates, there seem
    > to be no actual issues. But when I can with Spybot it still finds it,
    > and I'd like to get rid of it. I can have spybot delete it, but it
    > just comes back after a reboot. I've tried Adaware and Hijack this,
    > and they don't find it. Is there a way to get rid of this for good?
    > None of my running processes or startup processes look suspicious at
    > all, I've looked them all up on line and they are good.

    Try here with bughunter (free).
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Security-Related/BugHunter.shtml

    meerkat, Nov 9, 2007

  3. alice

    pcbutts1 Guest

    I sure hope you took my advise and dumped Norton. That password stealing
    virus you have has recently morphed and the new variant probably is not
    detected by all anti-virus software yet. You are going to have to edit the
    registry.
    Before you edit the registry, you should make a backup. Click Start>Run.
    Type 'Regedit' and press enter.On the 'Registry' menu, click 'Export
    Registry File'. In the 'Export Range' panel, click 'All', then save your
    registry as Backup.
    Each user has a registry area named HKEY_USERS\[random number]\indicating
    user. For each user locate the key:

    HKU\[random number]\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\putil=
    C:\<Windows>\<random filename> and delete it if it exists.

    Close the registry editor and reboot your computer. Run HJT and post the log
    so I can analyze it.

    pcbutts1, Nov 10, 2007