LD is sharper than DVD folks!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Grand Inquisitor, Oct 26, 2003.

  1. Grand Inquisitor, Oct 26, 2003

  2. Grand Inquisitor

    Clare Quilty Guest

    Haha. If you want to have some fun related to this topic, do a search on
    Google Groups for 'Laserdisc versus dvd', and look at some of the old late
    1990s posts of people ranting that DVD would fail and it was inferior to LD.
    Where are they now? My LD collection was put on the market the day I saw the
    first DVD.

    --
    N. B. To reply to me, remove a word in my email address after the at symbol,
    to leave the name of a popular MS-owned web mail service!

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3358014237&category=18848

    Clare Quilty, Oct 26, 2003

  3. On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:51:35 -0000, "Clare Quilty"
    <> wrote:

    >Haha. If you want to have some fun related to this topic, do a search on
    >Google Groups for 'Laserdisc versus dvd', and look at some of the old late
    >1990s posts of people ranting that DVD would fail and it was inferior to LD.
    >Where are they now? My LD collection was put on the market the day I saw the
    >first DVD.

    Then you had a crappy LD collection or lack taste. DVD properly done
    is indeed better quality than laser, but there are many many titles,
    particularly from Turner(MGM) and RKO that will not see DVD for a
    long, long time, if ever..

    Laserdisc is for film collectors, DVD is for those with mass-market
    tastes (though Image and Kino continue to release some good classics
    and obscurities.)

    . Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), Oct 26, 2003
  4. Grand Inquisitor

    Rutgar Guest

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 07:11:32 -0500, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:51:35 -0000, "Clare Quilty"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Haha. If you want to have some fun related to this topic, do a search on
    >>Google Groups for 'Laserdisc versus dvd', and look at some of the old late
    >>1990s posts of people ranting that DVD would fail and it was inferior to LD.
    >>Where are they now? My LD collection was put on the market the day I saw the
    >>first DVD.

    >Then you had a crappy LD collection or lack taste. DVD properly done
    >is indeed better quality than laser, but there are many many titles,
    >particularly from Turner(MGM) and RKO that will not see DVD for a
    >long, long time, if ever..
    >
    >Laserdisc is for film collectors, DVD is for those with mass-market
    >tastes (though Image and Kino continue to release some good classics
    >and obscurities.)
    >
    > . Steve .

    Laserdisc is for film collectors, DVD is for those with mass-market
    tastes?!?!?. HORSE SHIT. A collection of Anamorphic DVD movies, on
    a large Screen HDTV, are a film lovers dream!

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Oct 26, 2003
  5. Grand Inquisitor

    Mac Breck Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote
    in message
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:51:35 -0000, "Clare Quilty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Haha. If you want to have some fun related to this topic,

    do a search on
    > >Google Groups for 'Laserdisc versus dvd', and look at

    some of the old late
    > >1990s posts of people ranting that DVD would fail and it

    was inferior to LD.
    > >Where are they now? My LD collection was put on the

    market the day I saw the
    > >first DVD.

    > Then you had a crappy LD collection or lack taste. DVD

    properly done
    > is indeed better quality than laser, but there are many

    many titles,
    > particularly from Turner(MGM) and RKO that will not see

    DVD for a
    > long, long time, if ever..
    >
    > Laserdisc is for film collectors, DVD is for those with

    mass-market
    > tastes (though Image and Kino continue to release some

    good classics
    > and obscurities.)

    Exactly.

    When I see knee-jerk responses like "My LD collection was
    put on the market the day I saw the first DVD.", I just
    have to laugh. I haven't offered a single LD for sale.
    Reasons:

    1. Sometimes it takes a helluva long time for the titles
    that I already have on LD, to come out on DVD. Witness
    "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation." It just came out
    on DVD in widescreen. It only took FOURTEEN YEARS. The LD
    version, admittedly 4:3, has been out for TEN YEARS. Sure,
    I bought the widescreen DVD version when it finally came
    out, but in the mean time, I've been able to watch the LD
    version.

    2. Sometimes when the title finally does come out on DVD,
    the LD version is superior in some way that's important to
    me, and the DVD release ends up being a disappointment.
    Sometimes the DVD version will have an aspect ratio
    screw -up, or will show signs of film degradation or lack of
    care in making the DVD version (e.g. dust and scratches that
    were not there in the LD version). Sometimes studios are
    ***CHEAP***, and do not take the proper care in making the
    DVD. Sometimes they don't store the film correctly.
    Sometimes they don't invest the money in restoration. In
    those cases, I can just burn a copy of the LD onto DVD and
    have a better version than the DVD version that I can buy.

    3. Because of people like Ms. "My LD collection was put on
    the market the day I saw the first DVD.", the LD market is
    depressed, the butt of jokes by unknowing nitwits, and is
    the new "Beta." Even if you want to sell your LDs, you
    won't be able to get much for them. So why sell?
    Undoubtedly, this is why she sold early. Maybe she didn't
    miss having those titles for the years it'll take before
    they're out on DVD.

    I buy the DVD version of titles I already have on LD, when
    the DVD version has additional features that I want (e.g.
    commentaries, blooper reels, etc.), has a more correct
    aspect ratio, or is something that I'm likely to want to
    take over to someone else's house to show (...assuming that
    "someone else" even has a DVD player. Not all do.).

    --
    Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC
    -------------------------------
    Mac Breck, Oct 26, 2003
  6. Grand Inquisitor

    Mac Breck Guest

    "Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 07:11:32 -0500, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:51:35 -0000, "Clare Quilty"
    > ><> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Haha. If you want to have some fun related to this

    topic, do a search on
    > >>Google Groups for 'Laserdisc versus dvd', and look at

    some of the old late
    > >>1990s posts of people ranting that DVD would fail and it

    was inferior to LD.
    > >>Where are they now? My LD collection was put on the

    market the day I saw the
    > >>first DVD.

    > >Then you had a crappy LD collection or lack taste. DVD

    properly done
    > >is indeed better quality than laser, but there are many

    many titles,
    > >particularly from Turner(MGM) and RKO that will not see

    DVD for a
    > >long, long time, if ever..
    > >
    > >Laserdisc is for film collectors, DVD is for those with

    mass-market
    > >tastes (though Image and Kino continue to release some

    good classics
    > >and obscurities.)
    > >
    > > . Steve .

    > Laserdisc is for film collectors, DVD is for those with

    mass-market
    > tastes?!?!?.

    It *was*, before DVD took over.

    > HORSE SHIT. A collection of Anamorphic DVD movies, on
    > a large Screen HDTV, are a film lovers dream!

    So, I guess you think every title that was out on LD is now
    available in Anamorphic on DVD? Now, THAT's true HORSE
    SHIT.

    Mac Breck, Oct 26, 2003
  7. Grand Inquisitor

    Bill Guest

    > 1. Sometimes it takes a helluva long time for the titles
    > that I already have on LD, to come out on DVD. Witness
    > "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation." It just came out
    > on DVD in widescreen. It only took FOURTEEN YEARS. The LD
    > version, admittedly 4:3, has been out for TEN YEARS. Sure,
    > I bought the widescreen DVD version when it finally came
    > out, but in the mean time, I've been able to watch the LD
    > version.

    For what it's worth, a 4:3 version of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    was not an exclusive to LD (or VHS). It was also a very early DVD offering
    from Warner Home Video. It's one of the earliest titles that I purchased
    when getting a Sony DVD player back in 1998.
    Bill, Oct 26, 2003
  8. Clare Quilty wrote:
    > Haha. If you want to have some fun related to this topic, do a search on
    > Google Groups for 'Laserdisc versus dvd', and look at some of the old late
    > 1990s posts of people ranting that DVD would fail and it was inferior to LD.
    > Where are they now? My LD collection was put on the market the day I saw the
    > first DVD.

    So you tossed out your copies of the original Star Wars trilogy, Song of
    the South, and Schindler's List, eh? :)

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Oct 26, 2003
  9. Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:
    > Laserdisc is for film collectors, DVD is for those with mass-market
    > tastes (though Image and Kino continue to release some good classics
    > and obscurities.)
    >
    > . Steve .

    You know that sounds kind of elitist, even though I know what you mean.
    Laserdisc, with even an entry level player with no surround sound
    system or any of the other extras, was a relatively expensive
    undertaking, and those special editions went over a hundred bucks. DVD
    players and sound equipment is much cheaper these days, so you can have
    more for less. You don't have to look down your nose at those of us who
    never made the jump to LD, if anything the videophiles were helped by
    DVD. They got a better format, for less money, and a virtual guarantee
    of DD and widescreen for just about every movie. Just because that
    niche market mentality is no longer there, that doesn't mean it isn't
    special.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Oct 26, 2003
  10. Grand Inquisitor

    Clare Quilty Guest

    Seems I have opened a lively debate here! Well as I said I sold up when I
    saw my first DVD ... all my mainstream titles went, at about 70% of what I
    originally paid for them. I still have a few left, like The Conformist, but
    the point is I didn't lose out on getting funds back as people who listened
    to some 'experts' in the newsgroups did. Just look at the prices now on eBay
    for discs! It's tragic as I loved the format at the time, but would never
    argue that DVDs were only mass market.

    > So you tossed out your copies of the original Star Wars trilogy, Song of
    > the South, and Schindler's List, eh? :)

    I have DVDs of the first and the last on that list, so I should worry (and
    no, before someone gets all worked up, they are not Asian pirates) ....
    Never had Song of the South anyway!

    Clare Quilty, Oct 26, 2003
  11. Grand Inquisitor

    jayembee Guest

    Rutgar <> wrote:

    >Laserdisc is for film collectors, DVD is for those with mass-market
    >tastes?!?!?. HORSE SHIT. A collection of Anamorphic DVD movies, on
    >a large Screen HDTV, are a film lovers dream!

    A substantial part of my LD collection -- and my DVD collection, for
    that matter -- does not require anamorphic presentation. Indeed, it
    would be harmed by it.
    jayembee, Oct 26, 2003
  12. Grand Inquisitor

    Rutgar Guest

    On 26 Oct 2003 14:38:55 GMT, "Mac Breck" <>
    wrote:

    >> HORSE SHIT. A collection of Anamorphic DVD movies, on
    >> a large Screen HDTV, are a film lovers dream!

    >So, I guess you think every title that was out on LD is now
    >available in Anamorphic on DVD? Now, THAT's true HORSE
    >SHIT.

    Bartender! Give two of what Mac's drinking!

    Er, Mac. If you had bothered to actually READ what I wrote, then you
    would see that I didn't mention a single thing about title
    availability. I was strictly talking about the quality difference
    between the two formats. But, I guess if we use your line of
    thinking, then one could say that VHS is better than LD, as long as
    the title was only available on VHS.

    Get some glasses.

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Oct 26, 2003
  13. Grand Inquisitor

    Rutgar Guest

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 16:28:02 GMT, jayembee
    <> wrote:

    >Rutgar <> wrote:
    >
    >>Laserdisc is for film collectors, DVD is for those with mass-market
    >>tastes?!?!?. HORSE SHIT. A collection of Anamorphic DVD movies, on
    >>a large Screen HDTV, are a film lovers dream!

    >A substantial part of my LD collection -- and my DVD collection, for
    >that matter -- does not require anamorphic presentation. Indeed, it
    >would be harmed by it.

    Maybe, but that's a different point than the one I was making.

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Oct 26, 2003
  14. Grand Inquisitor

    Jay G Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote ...

    > > 1. Sometimes it takes a helluva long time for the titles
    > > that I already have on LD, to come out on DVD. Witness
    > > "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation." It just came out
    > > on DVD in widescreen. It only took FOURTEEN YEARS. The LD
    > > version, admittedly 4:3, has been out for TEN YEARS. Sure,
    > > I bought the widescreen DVD version when it finally came
    > > out, but in the mean time, I've been able to watch the LD
    > > version.
    > >

    > For what it's worth, a 4:3 version of National Lampoon's Christmas

    Vacation
    > was not an exclusive to LD (or VHS). It was also a very early DVD offering
    > from Warner Home Video. It's one of the earliest titles that I purchased
    > when getting a Sony DVD player back in 1998.

    Which means that, for people who bought a DVD player right away,
    they only had to wait one year for the DVD, not 14.

    -Jay
    Jay G, Oct 26, 2003
  15. Grand Inquisitor

    Jay G Guest

    "Rutgar" <> wrote

    > Er, Mac. If you had bothered to actually READ what I wrote, then you
    > would see that I didn't mention a single thing about title
    > availability. I was strictly talking about the quality difference
    > between the two formats. But, I guess if we use your line of
    > thinking, then one could say that VHS is better than LD, as long as
    > the title was only available on VHS.

    VHS *is* better than LD, as far as title availability goes.

    -Jay
    Jay G, Oct 26, 2003
  16. Grand Inquisitor

    Mac Breck Guest

    > Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:
    > > Laserdisc is for film collectors, DVD is for those with

    mass-market
    > > tastes (though Image and Kino continue to release some

    good classics
    > > and obscurities.)
    > >
    > > . Steve .
    > >

    > You know that sounds kind of elitist, even though I know

    what you mean.
    > Laserdisc, with even an entry level player with no

    surround sound
    > system or any of the other extras, was a relatively

    expensive
    > undertaking,

    DVD players were expensive too, when they first came out.
    They've come down now, due to making cheap consumer players,
    going for the consumer market in both players and media, and
    trying to displace VCRs.

    > and those special editions went over a hundred bucks.

    Most of my LDs were around $25 to $30, with the exception of
    a few Criterion releases that ran around $80.

    > DVD
    > players and sound equipment is much cheaper these days, so

    you can have
    > more for less.

    Yes, now.

    > You don't have to look down your nose at those of us who
    > never made the jump to LD,

    I'm not. It just pisses me off that some LD releases got
    cancelled before say all of a TV series was out, and then
    the version that comes out on DVD, has uncorrected defects
    and problems that are not in the LD releases. I hate having
    a partial collection, especially when the new DVD release
    (which I'm buying because of the extras) does not look as
    good as my LDs, especially in the early seasons.

    > if anything the videophiles were helped by
    > DVD.

    Not always. Sometimes, as I've said above, a DVD release
    introduces errors and problems that weren't there before.

    > They got a better format,

    Certainly more convenient.

    Mac Breck, Oct 26, 2003
  17. Grand Inquisitor

    Mac Breck Guest

    "Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    > On 26 Oct 2003 14:38:55 GMT, "Mac Breck"

    <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >> HORSE SHIT. A collection of Anamorphic DVD movies,

    on
    > >> a large Screen HDTV, are a film lovers dream!

    > >So, I guess you think every title that was out on LD is

    now
    > >available in Anamorphic on DVD? Now, THAT's true HORSE
    > >SHIT.

    > Bartender! Give two of what Mac's drinking!
    >
    > Er, Mac. If you had bothered to actually READ what I

    wrote, then you
    > would see that I didn't mention a single thing about title
    > availability.

    The implication was that there was a similar level of
    availability. If it isn't available on Anamorphic in DVD,
    how are the "film lovers" going to collect it? Granted, if
    the DVD is done right, and if the user's setup has the
    capability to display the DVD's full potential, it can look
    better than an LD of the same title. The trouble is that
    there are a lot of "ifs" in there. I have anamorphic DVDs
    that are less satisfying (due to other uncorrected defects
    and problems) than the LDs I have of those same titles.
    Film deteriorates over time. A lot of LDs were made when
    the film wasn't as old as it was when the DVDs were made.
    Ever known a studio to cut corners and not make a DVD live
    up to it's potential? I have.

    > I was strictly talking about the quality difference
    > between the two formats.

    And on the vast majority of home setups out there, the
    so-called "quality difference" isn't even that noticeable.
    Granted, "film lovers" are more likely to have a high-end
    setup, but for most people, the differences are only
    noticeable in a side-by-side, or A/B switch type of
    comparison. The differences between LD and DVD resolution
    just are not *that* great. It's a *much* smaller jump than
    from VHS to LD.

    > But, I guess if we use your line of
    > thinking, then one could say that VHS is better than LD,

    as long as
    > the title was only available on VHS.

    Now you're reading stuff that isn't there. As I said, the
    implication was that there was a similar level of
    availability.

    > Get some glasses.

    Get some manners.

    Mac Breck, Oct 26, 2003
  18. Grand Inquisitor

    Smaug69 Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:51:35 -0000, "Clare Quilty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Haha. If you want to have some fun related to this topic, do a search on
    > >Google Groups for 'Laserdisc versus dvd', and look at some of the old late
    > >1990s posts of people ranting that DVD would fail and it was inferior to LD.
    > >Where are they now? My LD collection was put on the market the day I saw the
    > >first DVD.

    > Then you had a crappy LD collection or lack taste. DVD properly done
    > is indeed better quality than laser, but there are many many titles,
    > particularly from Turner(MGM) and RKO that will not see DVD for a
    > long, long time, if ever..

    And how many titles were never available on LD? Quite a lot of them.

    > Laserdisc is for film collectors, DVD is for those with mass-market
    > tastes (though Image and Kino continue to release some good classics
    > and obscurities.)

    Man, you sure love to spout horseshit, don't you? DVD was initially a
    niche market and I have plenty of films on DVD that the mass market
    people don't bother with.

    DVD is just as much for film collectors as it is for the unwashed
    masses. You only have to look at all the special editions, boxed sets
    and director's cuts to understand that.

    Smaug69
    Smaug69, Oct 26, 2003
  19. Grand Inquisitor

    JR Guest

    > I have DVDs of the first and the last on that list, so I should worry (and
    > no, before someone gets all worked up, they are not Asian pirates) ....
    > Never had Song of the South anyway!

    where did you find an official release of SW or Schlinder?

    they would have to be some kind of boot, no matter how good the quality is.
    Not that it's a big deal to me or anything. I made DVD-R's of most of my
    LD's just so i don't have to keep lugging them out.

    but as i'm writing this, i'm not sure if S. List is available in another
    region, but i don't think it is

    JR, Oct 26, 2003
  20. Grand Inquisitor

    Mac Breck Guest

    "Jay G" <> wrote in message

    > "Bill" <> wrote ...
    > >
    > > > 1. Sometimes it takes a helluva long time for the

    titles
    > > > that I already have on LD, to come out on DVD.

    Witness
    > > > "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation." It just came

    out
    > > > on DVD in widescreen. It only took FOURTEEN YEARS.

    The LD
    > > > version, admittedly 4:3, has been out for TEN YEARS.

    Sure,
    > > > I bought the widescreen DVD version when it finally

    came
    > > > out, but in the mean time, I've been able to watch the

    LD
    > > > version.
    > > >

    > > For what it's worth, a 4:3 version of National Lampoon's

    Christmas
    > Vacation
    > > was not an exclusive to LD (or VHS). It was also a very

    early DVD offering
    > > from Warner Home Video.

    Yes, an early bare bones 4:3 DVD version. Since it offered
    me nothing new, content-wise, I had no reason to get it.
    When the widescreen DVD version with commentary came along,
    that changed.

    > > It's one of the earliest titles that I purchased
    > > when getting a Sony DVD player back in 1998.

    > Which means that, for people who bought a DVD player right

    away,
    > they only had to wait one year for the DVD, not 14.

    14 years waiting for the widescreen version of the film to
    appear on LD or DVD.

    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation:
    In theaters: December 1, 1989
    On LD (4:3): 1990 (probably Fall, don't have an exact day)
    On DVD (4:3): November 18, 1997
    On DVD 1.78:1): October 7, 2003

    Mac Breck, Oct 26, 2003