    displays spit out any junk too - eg., ultra violet. Does anyone here know?

    Cheers,
    Mark

    back again, Aug 19, 2003

  2. back again

    Rupert Guest

    > I know CRTs spit out some nasty types of energy

    no they don't

    Rupert, Aug 19, 2003

  3. On 19 Aug 2003 00:31:35 GMT, back again <> wrote:

    >I know CRTs spit out some nasty types of energy, but wondered whether LCD
    >displays spit out any junk too - eg., ultra violet. Does anyone here know?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Mark

    Yes your eyes pop out after a few weeks, I have to use my fingers to read my
    LCD screen..

    Robert Mathews, Aug 19, 2003
  4. On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:05:27 +1200, "Rupert" <> wrote:

    >> I know CRTs spit out some nasty types of energy

    >no they don't

    YES THEY DO..

    Robert Mathews, Aug 19, 2003
  5. back again

    Allistar Guest

    back again wrote:

    > I know CRTs spit out some nasty types of energy, but wondered whether LCD
    > displays spit out any junk too - eg., ultra violet. Does anyone here know?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Mark

    What sort of nasty energy do CRTs spit out? All it spits out is
    electromagnetic radiation (as visible light out the front and possibly some
    out the back). LCDs also emit electromagnetic radiation as well (they would
    be pretty useless if they didn't).

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 19, 2003
  6. In article <5Og0b.120636$>, "Russell Smithies" <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >Latest "Atomic" magazine has a nice comparison of how much nasty radiation
    >comes from various comp related gadgets.
    >IIRC monitors 'leak' most from the rear and sides.

    Yep. You can use a transistor radio as a quick and dirty 'leak detector'. Just
    wave it around the monitor for a pretty good idea of (relatively) how much
    interference is generated. Old monitors are lots worse than new ones :)

    Bruce

    Oook !
    NOTE remove the not_ from the address to reply. NO SPAM !

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 19, 2003
  7. back again

    back again Guest

    Allistar <> wrote in

    > Subject: Re: LCDs Vs CRT
    > From: Allistar <>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >
    > back again wrote:
    >
    >> I know CRTs spit out some nasty types of energy, but wondered whether
    >> LCD displays spit out any junk too - eg., ultra violet. Does anyone
    >> here know?
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Mark

    > What sort of nasty energy do CRTs spit out?

    X-Rays for a start. I don't know if other wavelengths (UV) also make it
    though the glass, I assume so though.

    > All it spits out is
    > electromagnetic radiation (as visible light out the front and possibly
    > some out the back).

    Nope. CRTs also spit out crap outside the visible spectrum too.

    > LCDs also emit electromagnetic radiation as well
    > (they would be pretty useless if they didn't).

    I am interested in whether LCDs emit _damaging_ types of radiation (eg.,
    UV) as opposed to for example visible spectrum. I'm also interested in
    whether the amount if any of damaging rays are so low as to be equivalent
    (for example) that standing outside for 5 minutes would results in a
    similar level of exposure to 8 hours LCD usage.

    back again, Aug 19, 2003
  8. "back again" <> wrote in message
    > Allistar <> wrote in
    >
    > > Subject: Re: LCDs Vs CRT
    > > From: Allistar <>
    > > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    > >
    > > back again wrote:
    > >
    > >> I know CRTs spit out some nasty types of energy, but wondered whether
    > >> LCD displays spit out any junk too - eg., ultra violet. Does anyone
    > >> here know?
    > >>
    > >> Cheers,
    > >> Mark

    > > What sort of nasty energy do CRTs spit out?

    > X-Rays for a start. I don't know if other wavelengths (UV) also make it
    > though the glass, I assume so though.
    >

    > > All it spits out is
    > > electromagnetic radiation (as visible light out the front and possibly
    > > some out the back).

    > Nope. CRTs also spit out crap outside the visible spectrum too.
    >

    > > LCDs also emit electromagnetic radiation as well
    > > (they would be pretty useless if they didn't).

    > I am interested in whether LCDs emit _damaging_ types of radiation (eg.,
    > UV) as opposed to for example visible spectrum. I'm also interested in
    > whether the amount if any of damaging rays are so low as to be equivalent
    > (for example) that standing outside for 5 minutes would results in a
    > similar level of exposure to 8 hours LCD usage.
    >

    > > Allistar.

    Latest "Atomic" magazine has a nice comparison of how much nasty radiation
    comes from various comp related gadgets.
    IIRC monitors 'leak' most from the rear and sides.

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Aug 19, 2003
  9. back again

    Rupert Guest

    ">
    > X-Rays for a start. I don't know if other wavelengths (UV) also make it
    > though the glass, I assume so though.
    >

    > Nope. CRTs also spit out crap outside the visible spectrum too.

    yes but is it nasty radiation? or indeed could it be beneficial radiation?

    http://cnts.wpi.edu/RSH/SciAmSept2003-Hormesis.pdf

    Rupert, Aug 19, 2003
  10. "Russell Smithies" <> wrote in message

    > "back again" <> wrote in message
    > > Allistar <> wrote in
    > >
    > > > Subject: Re: LCDs Vs CRT
    > > > From: Allistar <>
    > > > Newsgroups: nz.comp

    > > > What sort of nasty energy do CRTs spit out?

    > > X-Rays for a start. I don't know if other wavelengths (UV) also make it
    > > though the glass, I assume so though.
    > >

    > > > All it spits out is
    > > > electromagnetic radiation (as visible light out the front and possibly
    > > > some out the back).

    > > Nope. CRTs also spit out crap outside the visible spectrum too.
    > >

    > > > LCDs also emit electromagnetic radiation as well
    > > > (they would be pretty useless if they didn't).

    > > I am interested in whether LCDs emit _damaging_ types of radiation (eg.,
    > > UV) as opposed to for example visible spectrum. I'm also interested in
    > > whether the amount if any of damaging rays are so low as to be

    equivalent
    > > (for example) that standing outside for 5 minutes would results in a
    > > similar level of exposure to 8 hours LCD usage.
    > >

    > > > Allistar.

    > Latest "Atomic" magazine has a nice comparison of how much nasty radiation
    > comes from various comp related gadgets.
    > IIRC monitors 'leak' most from the rear and sides.
    >
    > Russell

    Well that would make sense.
    They have a big metal shadow mask at the front
    Much like the door on a microwave oven
    A good quality heavy duty tinfoil hat should protect you at the rear and
    sides.
    Be sure not to expose your gonads close to one of these devices.
    There has been a worldwide drop in fertility due to meatbeating in the
    presence of CRTs ;-)
    (Thats why woger switched.)

    Howard Johnson, Aug 19, 2003
  11. back again

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:06:22 +1200, "Howard Johnson" <>
    wrote:

    >"Russell Smithies" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "back again" <> wrote in message
    >> > Allistar <> wrote in

    >> > X-Rays for a start. I don't know if other wavelengths (UV) also make it
    >> > though the glass, I assume so though.

    >> > Nope. CRTs also spit out crap outside the visible spectrum too.

    >> > I am interested in whether LCDs emit _damaging_ types of radiation (eg.,
    >> > UV) as opposed to for example visible spectrum. I'm also interested in
    >> > whether the amount if any of damaging rays are so low as to be

    >equivalent
    >> > (for example) that standing outside for 5 minutes would results in a
    >> > similar level of exposure to 8 hours LCD usage.

    >> Latest "Atomic" magazine has a nice comparison of how much nasty radiation
    >> comes from various comp related gadgets.
    >> IIRC monitors 'leak' most from the rear and sides.
    >>
    >> Russell

    >Well that would make sense.
    >They have a big metal shadow mask at the front
    >Much like the door on a microwave oven
    >A good quality heavy duty tinfoil hat should protect you at the rear and
    >sides.
    >Be sure not to expose your gonads close to one of these devices.
    >There has been a worldwide drop in fertility due to meatbeating in the
    >presence of CRTs ;-)
    >(Thats why woger switched.)

    ROTFL

    Bret, Aug 19, 2003
  12. back again

    Anybody Guest

    In article <bhrt4n$v3h$>, "Rupert"
    <> wrote:

    > > I know CRTs spit out some nasty types of energy

    > no they don't

    EVERYTHING spits out "nasty energy" to some degree, especially
    electronic equipment.

    CRT screens throw out most of their "nasty energy" from the back and
    the sides (as someone else said), partyly because the glass tube acting
    as a shield. If you don't like your next door co-worker then trun the
    monitor so that the back end points at them. ;-)

    LCD screens still throw out "nasty energy", but levels are *SAID* to be
    better for you than a CRT. Now, as we all know, the so-called
    "experts" who make these claims are always changing their minds, so
    talk it with a HUGEMUNGOUS pinch of salt (a large portion of these
    claims are probably just the marketing guys trying to get you to buy
    the more expensive LCD monitors).

    Anybody, Aug 19, 2003
  13. back again

    back again Guest

    "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in

    > The light in a LCD is a cold cathode flourescent. There would be some
    > UV coming out, but as UV cooks LCDs in short order I expect there are
    > heavy filters on the back of the display to prevent that happening.

    That matches my suspicions - thanks :)

    back again, Aug 19, 2003
  14. back again

    Ross Dawson Guest

    On 19 Aug 2003 03:24:31 GMT, back again <> wrote:

    >Allistar <> wrote in
    >
    >> Subject: Re: LCDs Vs CRT
    >> From: Allistar <>
    >> Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >>
    >> back again wrote:
    >>
    >>> I know CRTs spit out some nasty types of energy, but wondered whether
    >>> LCD displays spit out any junk too - eg., ultra violet. Does anyone
    >>> here know?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>> Mark

    >> What sort of nasty energy do CRTs spit out?

    >X-Rays for a start. I don't know if other wavelengths (UV) also make it
    >though the glass, I assume so though.
    >

    >> All it spits out is
    >> electromagnetic radiation (as visible light out the front and possibly
    >> some out the back).

    >Nope. CRTs also spit out crap outside the visible spectrum too.
    >

    >> LCDs also emit electromagnetic radiation as well
    >> (they would be pretty useless if they didn't).

    >I am interested in whether LCDs emit _damaging_ types of radiation (eg.,
    >UV) as opposed to for example visible spectrum. I'm also interested in
    >whether the amount if any of damaging rays are so low as to be equivalent
    >(for example) that standing outside for 5 minutes would results in a
    >similar level of exposure to 8 hours LCD usage.

    If that's the case me thinks you need to get out more :)

    --
    Cheers for now

    Ross Dawson.

    Ross Dawson, Aug 19, 2003
  15. "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > back again wrote:
    >
    > > I know CRTs spit out some nasty types of energy, but wondered whether

    LCD
    > > displays spit out any junk too - eg., ultra violet. Does anyone here

    know?

    > > Cheers,
    > > Mark

    > What sort of nasty energy do CRTs spit out? All it spits out is
    > electromagnetic radiation (as visible light out the front and possibly

    some
    > out the back). LCDs also emit electromagnetic radiation as well (they

    would
    > be pretty useless if they didn't).
    >
    > Allistar

    Cathode Ray Tubes use accelerated electron beams, which are converted to
    light by the phosphor coating on the inside of the front glass. There are
    three beams in colour tubes, hitting blue, green and red phosphors. A metal
    'mask' insures that the right beam hits the right coloured phospors. This
    mask also protects the viewer to some extent. But the beams are scattered by
    the same mask. CRTs have metal boxes round the 'electron guns' at the back
    these days. This reduces 'stray radiation'.

    Radio amateurs complained for years that CRTs are jamming transmitters. It
    was not considered commercially viable to do something about it. But when
    office girls began to worry about their health, suddenly the screening of
    CRTs became commercially feasable.

    The light is not the main problem. But because of the acceleration, the
    electron beams have the ability to 'ionise', that is knock electrons out of
    their orbits around atoms. This makes the atoms 'charged'. The body does not
    like too many of its atoms charged. It is one method by which genetic
    information is more likely to alter spontaneously.

    Liquid Crystal Displays are either passive arrangements of variable Liquid
    Crystal filters, but mostly 'active' these days, that is, they have light
    emitting transistors behind the Liquid Crystal filters. But there are no
    'rays' ionising anything. Also because there is no energy required to
    accelerate electrons in the way CRTs do, Liquid Crystal Displays need less
    power than CRTs.

    From a radio point of view, the computers themselves are still jamming
    transmitters, because they work in the same 'bands' that radios work in,
    which is why air lines don't like people using computers on their planes
    terribly much. So, manufacturers have to 'screen' laptops all over, like
    they have to do with CRTs, so people are allowed now to use laptops once the
    planes are airborne.

    This also helps radio amateurs like myself, who use a laptop to convert
    pictures into sound for transmitting, then convert the sound back into
    pictures again after it has been received. Laptops are a lot quieter on the
    radio bands than desktop computers are.

    And with far less unwanted radiation coming out of a laptop, they are also
    better for your health.

    Henry

    Henry Falkner, Aug 20, 2003