lcd's on old laptops

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by yawnmoth, May 8, 2007.

  1. yawnmoth

    yawnmoth Guest

    yawnmoth, May 8, 2007

  2. yawnmoth

    - Bobb - Guest

    "yawnmoth" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Why is it that the LCD's on old laptop's didn't go all the way to the
    > edge (or within 1-2cm of it, as modern ones do)? Here are a few
    > pictures that demonstrate:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Powerbook_150.jpg
    > http://www.unofficial3d.com/files/thinkpad700c.jpg

    To get an idea of what you're comparing to, that powerbook worked at 33
    mhz with a MAX of 4mb of memory. My current VIDEO has 128mb all to
    itself ! 15-20 years ago they needed a big footprint for components-
    now it's all integrated. There is/was electronics in there too on a
    separate board. Now they have it really shrunk down - didn't have that
    circuit density before.They could make it twice as thick ( to stack the
    board behind the screen), or they could put the components around the
    screen ( what they did). Also it provided protection to the glass and
    housed the frame - no one complained since making the edge of the LCD
    plastic "shrink" to the size of the glass could accomodate a smaller
    footprint, but make the keyboard tough to use. ( and no they wouldn't
    make it an inch wider - would distort - need to keep in proportion ).

    On your home/office PC monitor - does the glass fill up the entire
    width - any plastic around the edges ? - it's what you're used to - you
    live with it. It still works fine.

    - Bobb -, May 9, 2007