    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    6/19/2007 10:00:55 PM CST
    Old Gringo, Jun 20, 2007

  2. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:03:34 -0500, Without Any Hesitation
    Or Thinking Twice, Old Gringo Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote
    The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:

    > What are the horizontal and vertical measurements for a 32"
    > diagonal wide screen viewing area?

    Well that didn't make any sense.
    How about 32" diagonal wide screen.
    getting late.
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    6/19/2007 10:06:30 PM CST
    Old Gringo, Jun 20, 2007

  3. Old Gringo

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:08:46 -0500, Old Gringo wrote:

    > On Or About Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:03:34 -0500, Without Any Hesitation
    > Or Thinking Twice, Old Gringo Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote
    > The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
    >
    >> What are the horizontal and vertical measurements for a 32"
    >> diagonal wide screen viewing area?

    > Well that didn't make any sense.
    > How about 32" diagonal wide screen.
    > getting late.

    32" from top left to bottom right.
    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    #8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Jun 20, 2007
  4. Old Gringo

    Guest

    Old Gringo <> wrote:

    >What are the horizontal and vertical measurements for a 32"
    >horizontal wide screen viewing area?

    You have a right angle with a hypotenuse of 32".
    Any good at math?

    --

    http://lineage2.plaync.jp/l2fun/flashGame.aspx
    , Jun 20, 2007
  5. wrote:
    > Old Gringo <> wrote:
    >
    >>What are the horizontal and vertical measurements for a 32"
    >>horizontal wide screen viewing area?

    > You have a right angle with a hypotenuse of 32".

    A right triangle.

    > Any good at math?

    You need another side or another angle.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 20, 2007
  6. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About Tue, 19 Jun 2007 23:18:15 -0400, Without Any Hesitation
    Or Thinking Twice, Meat Plow Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote
    The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:

    > On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:08:46 -0500, Old Gringo wrote:
    >
    >> On Or About Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:03:34 -0500, Without Any Hesitation
    >> Or Thinking Twice, Old Gringo Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote
    >> The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
    >>
    >>> What are the horizontal and vertical measurements for a 32"
    >>> diagonal wide screen viewing area?

    >> Well that didn't make any sense.
    >> How about 32" diagonal wide screen.
    >> getting late.

    > 32" from top left to bottom right.

    Got that part, now from left bottom to left top and from left bottom
    to right bottom. :)
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    6/19/2007 11:01:45 PM CST
    Old Gringo, Jun 20, 2007
  7. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Old Gringo <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>What are the horizontal and vertical measurements for a 32"
    >>>horizontal wide screen viewing area?

    >>You have a right angle with a hypotenuse of 32".

    > A right triangle.
    >

    >>Any good at math?

    > You need another side or another angle.

    Most have a 16:9 aspect ration.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 20, 2007
  8. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:44:30 -0700, Without Any Hesitation
    Or Thinking Twice, Stumbled Over To The
    Keyboard And wrote The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News
    Group:

    > Old Gringo <> wrote:
    >
    >>What are the horizontal and vertical measurements for a 32"
    >>horizontal wide screen viewing area?

    > You have a right angle with a hypotenuse of 32".
    > Any good at math?

    No good at math. I believe that the for every 16" across there is 9"
    up and down. ??
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    6/19/2007 11:03:41 PM CST
    Old Gringo, Jun 20, 2007
  9. Old Gringo

    x@y Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > What are the horizontal and vertical measurements for a 32"
    > horizontal wide screen viewing area?
    > --
    > Just West Of Nowhere
    > Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    > http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    > 6/19/2007 10:00:55 PM CST

    Hello Old Gringo,

    I did not use this subject since early seventies at school.

    See if this link helps:
    http://regentsprep.org/regents/math/rtritrig/Ltrig.htm

    Good Luck, Old x@y
    x@y, Jun 20, 2007
  10. Rôgêr wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> wrote:

    >>>You have a right angle with a hypotenuse of 32".

    >> A right triangle.
    >>

    >>>Any good at math?

    >> You need another side or another angle.

    > Most have a 16:9 aspect ration.

    Yes, most. So one *could* use that and hope.

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 20, 2007
  11. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About Tue, 19 Jun 2007 23:44:36 -0500, Without Any Hesitation
    Or Thinking Twice, x@y Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The

    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > ..
    >> What are the horizontal and vertical measurements for a 32"
    >> horizontal wide screen viewing area?
    >> --
    >> Just West Of Nowhere
    >> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >> http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    >> 6/19/2007 10:00:55 PM CST

    > Hello Old Gringo,
    >
    > I did not use this subject since early seventies at school.
    >
    > See if this link helps:
    > http://regentsprep.org/regents/math/rtritrig/Ltrig.htm
    >
    > Good Luck, Old x@y

    Thanks for that link. I have decided that a 42" diagonal is almost a
    must to come anywhere near having any height in the viewing area that
    would resemble a 27" 4:3 aspect ratio.
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    6/19/2007 11:55:49 PM CST
    Old Gringo, Jun 20, 2007
  12. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Yes, most. So one *could* use that and hope.

    Using that for my precise calculations, I come up with a screen about
    27.9"w X 15.7"h for a 32" diagonal. For a 42" diagonal it comes out to
    about 36.6"w x 20.6"h.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 20, 2007
  13. Old Gringo

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-06-20, Old Gringo <> wrote:
    > On Or About Tue, 19 Jun 2007 23:18:15 -0400, Without Any Hesitation
    > Or Thinking Twice, Meat Plow Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote
    > The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
    >
    >> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:08:46 -0500, Old Gringo wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Or About Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:03:34 -0500, Without Any Hesitation
    >>> Or Thinking Twice, Old Gringo Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote
    >>> The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:

    >>> Well that didn't make any sense.
    >>> How about 32" diagonal wide screen.
    >>> getting late.

    >> 32" from top left to bottom right.

    > Got that part, now from left bottom to left top and from left bottom
    > to right bottom. :)

    Normal 'widescreen TV' seems to be in the proportions 16:9 (but computer
    widescreen is often 16:10). As Pythagoras (c. 570BC-500BC) famously
    described and proved [1], "the square on the hypotenuse is equal to the sum
    of the squares on the other two sides". So the diagonal of a 16:9
    rectangle must be equal to the square root of (16² + 9²). My computer's
    calculator tells me that that is 18.3575597506858193. So
    18.3575597506858193 is to 32" as 16 is to the width of the screen and as 9
    is to the height - or using the notation I was taught in school

    diagonal:18·3575597506858193::width:16
    diagonal:18·3575597506858193::height:9

    I'll leave you to work out the two sums

    32 ÷ 18.3575597506858193 x 9 =
    32 ÷ 18.3575597506858193 x 16 =

    but it's pretty obvious that the dimensions are 'almost 32 inches by about
    half that' which is your sanity check for the exact answer you get.

    CRT screen measurements quoted in adverts are usually rather larger than
    the actual visible picture, as the edges of the screen are too distorted
    to be useful and are thus not used, and often masked by the case of the
    appliance. LCD and other 'flat' screen measurements are usually pretty
    close to the actual size of the image displayed.

    [1] although the fact and ways of proving it were undoubtedly well known
    long before his time.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jun 20, 2007
  14. Old Gringo

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-06-20, Old Gringo <> wrote:
    > On Or About Tue, 19 Jun 2007 23:44:36 -0500, Without Any Hesitation
    > Or Thinking Twice, x@y Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The
    > Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
    >
    >> "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >> ..
    >>> What are the horizontal and vertical measurements for a 32"
    >>> horizontal wide screen viewing area?
    >>> --
    >>> Just West Of Nowhere
    >>> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >>> http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    >>> 6/19/2007 10:00:55 PM CST

    >> Hello Old Gringo,
    >>
    >> I did not use this subject since early seventies at school.
    >>
    >> See if this link helps:
    >> http://regentsprep.org/regents/math/rtritrig/Ltrig.htm
    >>
    >> Good Luck, Old x@y

    > Thanks for that link. I have decided that a 42" diagonal is almost a
    > must to come anywhere near having any height in the viewing area that
    > would resemble a 27" 4:3 aspect ratio.

    Either that or binoculars ;))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jun 20, 2007
  15. Old Gringo

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 23:03:23 -0500, Old Gringo wrote:

    > On Or About Tue, 19 Jun 2007 23:18:15 -0400, Without Any Hesitation
    > Or Thinking Twice, Meat Plow Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote
    > The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
    >
    >> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:08:46 -0500, Old Gringo wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Or About Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:03:34 -0500, Without Any Hesitation
    >>> Or Thinking Twice, Old Gringo Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote
    >>> The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:

    >>> Well that didn't make any sense.
    >>> How about 32" diagonal wide screen.
    >>> getting late.

    >> 32" from top left to bottom right.

    > Got that part, now from left bottom to left top and from left bottom
    > to right bottom. :)

    Well that would be the traditional diagonal measurement.
    :)
    Meat Plow, Jun 20, 2007
  16. Old Gringo

    x@y Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > On Or About Tue, 19 Jun 2007 23:44:36 -0500, Without Any Hesitation
    > Or Thinking Twice, x@y Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The
    > Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
    >
    >> "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >> ..
    >>> What are the horizontal and vertical measurements for a 32"
    >>> horizontal wide screen viewing area?
    >>> --
    >>> Just West Of Nowhere
    >>> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >>> http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    >>> 6/19/2007 10:00:55 PM CST

    >> Hello Old Gringo,
    >>
    >> I did not use this subject since early seventies at school.
    >>
    >> See if this link helps:
    >> http://regentsprep.org/regents/math/rtritrig/Ltrig.htm
    >>
    >> Good Luck, Old x@y

    > Thanks for that link. I have decided that a 42" diagonal is almost a
    > must to come anywhere near having any height in the viewing area that
    > would resemble a 27" 4:3 aspect ratio.

    My TV set is a 27" 4:3 ratio, I am used and confortable with the viewing
    ratio of 4:3, my tv set is giving me warning signs of retiring,
    it is about 14 years old.

    Soon I have to shop for a new tv, and to be honest I do not like the new
    format,
    it may be good to watch Movies, but not a one Person on the Newscast
    we will see His/Her Head on the middle of the screen and two feet of nothing
    on either side, in my opinion it sucks.

    Good Luck, Old x@y

    x@y, Jun 20, 2007
  17. Old Gringo

    x@y Guest

    x@y, Jun 20, 2007
  18. Old Gringo

    x@y Guest

    x@y, Jun 20, 2007
  19. Old Gringo

    x@y Guest

    x@y, Jun 20, 2007
  20. Old Gringo

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:
    > On Or About Tue, 19 Jun 2007 23:44:36 -0500, Without Any Hesitation
    > Or Thinking Twice, x@y Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The
    > Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
    >
    >> "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >> ..
    >>> What are the horizontal and vertical measurements for a 32"
    >>> horizontal wide screen viewing area?
    >>> --
    >>> Just West Of Nowhere
    >>> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >>> http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    >>> 6/19/2007 10:00:55 PM CST

    >> Hello Old Gringo,
    >>
    >> I did not use this subject since early seventies at school.
    >>
    >> See if this link helps:
    >> http://regentsprep.org/regents/math/rtritrig/Ltrig.htm
    >>
    >> Good Luck, Old x@y

    > Thanks for that link. I have decided that a 42" diagonal is almost a
    > must to come anywhere near having any height in the viewing area that
    > would resemble a 27" 4:3 aspect ratio.

    Wrong comparison. You need to get the right size screen for your normal
    viewing distance or you will never be happy with the result particulary
    with an LCD display. Sit too close and you will see the pixels and the
    mpeg distortion. Pointless buying a 42" if you sit only a few feet away
    from the screen.

    http://www.dtvcity.com/lcdtv/lcdscreensize.html
    http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/home/tv_faq.html
    http://tv.about.com/od/frequentlyaskedquestions/f/viewingdistance.htm