    computer the best resolution it gave was 800x600.
    Has this problem been overcome with today's tvs?

    TIA
    noddy, May 24, 2007

  2. noddy

    Allistar Guest

    noddy wrote:

    > What's the story these days about screen resolution when you use a tv
    > as a computer monitor.
    > I had the use of one a couple of years ago but when used with the
    > computer the best resolution it gave was 800x600.
    > Has this problem been overcome with today's tvs?
    >
    > TIA

    The highest resolution you could use (without nasty scaling effects) would
    be the native resolution of the LCD TV. 720p displays are 1280x720, which
    1080i displays are 1920x1080. A typical 20" widescreen LCD monitor is
    1680x1050.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, May 24, 2007

  3. noddy

    Richard Guest

    noddy wrote:
    > What's the story these days about screen resolution when you use a tv
    > as a computer monitor.
    > I had the use of one a couple of years ago but when used with the
    > computer the best resolution it gave was 800x600.
    > Has this problem been overcome with today's tvs?

    No is the short answer.

    Expect to need to spend a long time tweeking with powerstrip to build a
    resolution that is the panels native resolution, and then its another
    matter if the tv will accept it, or still put it thru the scaling
    process before it hits the panel.

    Just buy it and say you want to use it with a computer, so if it doesnt
    you have grounds to return it.
    Richard, May 24, 2007
  4. noddy

    J Brockley Guest

    "noddy" <> wrote in message
    > What's the story these days about screen resolution when you use a tv
    > as a computer monitor.
    > I had the use of one a couple of years ago but when used with the
    > computer the best resolution it gave was 800x600.
    > Has this problem been overcome with today's tvs?
    >
    > TIA

    You don't say what size but check out something like Samsung 940 MG which is
    a monitor and TV.
    I have a previous model and its only issue is the slower refresh rates of
    that era.
    Maybe better to look for a monitor thats also a TV rather than a TV that can
    be a monitor as thats how you end up with 800x600.
    J Brockley, May 24, 2007
  5. noddy

    Kent Smith Guest

    J Brockley wrote:
    > "noddy" <> wrote in message
    >> What's the story these days about screen resolution when you use a tv
    >> as a computer monitor.
    >> I had the use of one a couple of years ago but when used with the
    >> computer the best resolution it gave was 800x600.
    >> Has this problem been overcome with today's tvs?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > You don't say what size but check out something like Samsung 940 MG
    > which is a monitor and TV.
    > I have a previous model and its only issue is the slower refresh
    > rates of that era.
    > Maybe better to look for a monitor thats also a TV rather than a TV
    > that can be a monitor as thats how you end up with 800x600.

    Spotted a cheapie at big red:
    http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/advert/MailerOne.aspx?AdvertID=425&PageNo=1
    26" 1366x768 HDMI teletext PIP component RGB svideo composite scart
    $900

    Anyone checked this out?

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, May 24, 2007
  6. Richard wrote:

    > No is the short answer.
    >
    > Expect to need to spend a long time tweeking with powerstrip to build a
    > resolution that is the panels native resolution, and then its another
    > matter if the tv will accept it, or still put it thru the scaling
    > process before it hits the panel.
    >
    > Just buy it and say you want to use it with a computer, so if it doesnt
    > you have grounds to return it.

    What do you mean no. I can plug my computers into the VGA port, or the
    HDMI port on my TV and they just work
    Jason Fanning, May 24, 2007
  7. noddy

    XPD Guest

    "noddy" <> wrote in message
    > What's the story these days about screen resolution when you use a tv
    > as a computer monitor.
    > I had the use of one a couple of years ago but when used with the
    > computer the best resolution it gave was 800x600.
    > Has this problem been overcome with today's tvs?
    >
    > TIA

    My father in law got a 42" plasma recently and I plugged in his laptop to it
    via the external VGA - it supports nice resolutions, but the actual quality
    was pretty shite... was like using standard TV-Out via composite - text
    readable, but only just. Great for media however.
    XPD, May 24, 2007
  8. noddy

    J Brockley Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message

    > "noddy" <> wrote in message
    >> What's the story these days about screen resolution when you use a tv
    >> as a computer monitor.
    >> I had the use of one a couple of years ago but when used with the
    >> computer the best resolution it gave was 800x600.
    >> Has this problem been overcome with today's tvs?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > My father in law got a 42" plasma recently and I plugged in his laptop to
    > it via the external VGA - it supports nice resolutions, but the actual
    > quality was pretty shite... was like using standard TV-Out via
    > composite - text readable, but only just. Great for media however.

    Thats because on LCD or Plasma you need to match laptop display resolution
    to the TV otherwise you so the effect you did.
    If its a standard def plasma the optimal PC res will need to be 800x600
    while for hi def TV the PC will be1024x768.
    Some hi def TV will be different to 1024x768 complicate the issue..
    J Brockley, May 25, 2007
  9. noddy

    noddy Guest

    Thanks for all the info guys.

    I've decided to stick with a starightforward monitor :)

    noddy, May 26, 2007
  10. noddy

    Richard Guest

    Jason Fanning wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >>
    >> No is the short answer.
    >>
    >> Expect to need to spend a long time tweeking with powerstrip to build
    >> a resolution that is the panels native resolution, and then its
    >> another matter if the tv will accept it, or still put it thru the
    >> scaling process before it hits the panel.
    >>
    >> Just buy it and say you want to use it with a computer, so if it
    >> doesnt you have grounds to return it.

    > What do you mean no. I can plug my computers into the VGA port, or the
    > HDMI port on my TV and they just work

    Is it pixel accurate like a PC monitor should be, or it it only capable
    of taking common PC modes like 1024x768 and then scaling that to the
    panel size and not providing any control of how that image is cropped?
    Richard, May 27, 2007
  11. Richard wrote:

    > Is it pixel accurate like a PC monitor should be, or it it only capable
    > of taking common PC modes like 1024x768 and then scaling that to the
    > panel size and not providing any control of how that image is cropped?

    Yes standard panel resolution via VGA of 1366x768, or 1280x720 via HDMI
    Jason Fanning, May 28, 2007