    any info would be gratefully received.
    cheers
    Sue

    smf, Nov 18, 2005

  2. smf

    -=rjh=- Guest

    smf wrote:
    > FirstIn have a 32" LCD TV for sale atm for 'round 1850 + shipping.
    > They say it is an unbadged model. Anyone here have one, or seen one?
    > Its a good price - but not being able to look at the thing in operation
    > makes me hesitate....
    > any info would be gratefully received.

    I've been pondering pretty much the same thing myself, over the past
    week; and I suspect a lot of other people have.

    The price is good, but the price of 32" LCD TVs seems to be dropping
    very fast at present. The Viewsonic model isn't much more expensive. In
    a few months - assuming the NZ $ doesn't drop - I would think that kind
    of pricing will be more common, and who has time to watch TV in summer
    anyway :)

    The firstin one is almost impossible to find on the 'net, I did find a
    similar model in Korea (I think) which retailed at about the same as the
    firstin price. The LCD module specs are easier to find, but not any use
    really, unless you can find another brand that uses the same module, and
    even then there are other issues than just the display itself to
    consider. Can't find any reviews anywhere. The specs and features as
    described in the manual look good.

    My main concern would be service - if you are going to plonk down ~$2000
    for an appliance, you expect to be able to get it fixed if it breaks,
    and a 1 year warranty is minimal (my current TV had a 5 year warranty,
    and it didn't cost anywhere near $2000).

    Tempting, all the same. Be sure to post a review when you get yours :)

    -=rjh=-, Nov 18, 2005

  3. smf

    steve Guest

    smf wrote:

    > FirstIn have a 32" LCD TV for sale atm for 'round 1850 + shipping.
    > They say it is an unbadged model. Anyone here have one, or seen one?
    > Its a good price - but not being able to look at the thing in operation
    > makes me hesitate....
    > any info would be gratefully received.
    > cheers
    > Sue

    I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a no-name TV unless the
    take-it-back-when-it dies clause in the purchase agreement was iron-clad
    and for 3 years at least.

    steve, Nov 18, 2005
  4. smf

    cyril Guest

    Most of these lower price LCD panels seem to suffer from gross
    deinterlace products due to substandard video processors. Even the top
    of the line ones can suffer from it, but all these cheaper ones like
    the Warehouse carries are terrible to watch intelace TV on.

    My 2c

    Cyril

    cyril, Nov 18, 2005
  5. smf

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "cyril" <> wrote in message
    > Most of these lower price LCD panels seem to suffer from gross
    > deinterlace products due to substandard video processors. Even the top
    > of the line ones can suffer from it, but all these cheaper ones like
    > the Warehouse carries are terrible to watch intelace TV on.
    >
    > My 2c
    >
    > Cyril

    The resolution is the main spec to check out. The latest Transonics look
    fine enough at the Warehouse, much better than the earlier black model.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 19, 2005
  6. smf

    -=rjh=- Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "cyril" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Most of these lower price LCD panels seem to suffer from gross
    >>deinterlace products due to substandard video processors. Even the top
    >>of the line ones can suffer from it, but all these cheaper ones like
    >>the Warehouse carries are terrible to watch intelace TV on.
    >>
    >>My 2c
    >>
    >>Cyril

    > The resolution is the main spec to check out.

    How can that be? They are almost all identical - either 1280 or 1366x768
    - there is a *lot* more to how a display looks than resolution.

    -=rjh=-, Nov 19, 2005
  7. smf

    smf Guest

    smf wrote:
    > FirstIn have a 32" LCD TV for sale atm for 'round 1850 + shipping.
    > They say it is an unbadged model. Anyone here have one, or seen one?
    > Its a good price - but not being able to look at the thing in operation
    > makes me hesitate....
    > any info would be gratefully received.
    > cheers
    > Sue

    thanks for all your responses .... .decided not to go with it - the old
    sony tele has some life in her yet, and rjh made a good point - who
    watches tv in the summer?
    had a look at harvey normans' today at some of the 32" lcd's they have
    there - nothing compared with that price, but when you see the variation
    amongst them all - there's no way I would buy one without viewing it first.
    thanks again folks :)
    Sue

    smf, Nov 19, 2005
  8. smf

    XP Guest

    On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 06:53:46 +1300, smf <time.enough***@gmail.com> wrote:

    >FirstIn have a 32" LCD TV for sale atm for 'round 1850 + shipping.
    >They say it is an unbadged model. Anyone here have one, or seen one?
    >Its a good price - but not being able to look at the thing in operation
    >makes me hesitate....
    >any info would be gratefully received.
    >cheers
    >Sue

    What happens when it goes wrong..?

    XP, Nov 19, 2005
  9. smf

    XP Guest

    On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:42:58 +1300, steve <> wrote:

    >smf wrote:
    >
    >> FirstIn have a 32" LCD TV for sale atm for 'round 1850 + shipping.
    >> They say it is an unbadged model. Anyone here have one, or seen one?
    >> Its a good price - but not being able to look at the thing in operation
    >> makes me hesitate....
    >> any info would be gratefully received.
    >> cheers
    >> Sue

    >I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a no-name TV unless the
    >take-it-back-when-it dies clause in the purchase agreement was iron-clad
    >and for 3 years at least.

    You will no spare parts stocked, we found that even with a Korean brand that
    Farmers use to sell.

    XP, Nov 19, 2005
  10. smf

    Max Guest

    "smf" <time.enough***@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > FirstIn have a 32" LCD TV for sale atm for 'round 1850 + shipping.
    > They say it is an unbadged model. Anyone here have one, or seen one?
    > Its a good price - but not being able to look at the thing in operation
    > makes me hesitate....
    > any info would be gratefully received.
    > cheers
    > Sue

    These things are going to drop in price a lot over the next year. If you
    can't afford a name brand, and you are in no rush, I would definitely wait
    for them to decrease in price.

    Max, Nov 19, 2005
  11. smf

    Richard Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:

    > The resolution is the main spec to check out. The latest Transonics look
    > fine enough at the Warehouse, much better than the earlier black model.

    Because they are playing a DVD on them, not live video from TV.. big difference

    Richard, Nov 19, 2005
  12. smf

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >> "cyril" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Most of these lower price LCD panels seem to suffer from gross
    >>>deinterlace products due to substandard video processors. Even the top
    >>>of the line ones can suffer from it, but all these cheaper ones like
    >>>the Warehouse carries are terrible to watch intelace TV on.
    >>>
    >>>My 2c
    >>>
    >>>Cyril

    >> The resolution is the main spec to check out.

    > How can that be? They are almost all identical - either 1280 or 1366x768 -
    > there is a *lot* more to how a display looks than resolution.

    You haven't seen the 768 x 480 resolutions then. The 1280s are fine enough.
    Some 4:3 LCD are only 640x480 - around 20" ones of course.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 19, 2005
  13. smf

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >
    >> The resolution is the main spec to check out. The latest Transonics look
    >> fine enough at the Warehouse, much better than the earlier black model.

    > Because they are playing a DVD on them, not live video from TV.. big
    > difference

    What did you think they were palying through the first lot of Transonic
    Plasmas etc?

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 19, 2005
  14. smf

    thingy Guest

    smf wrote:
    > FirstIn have a 32" LCD TV for sale atm for 'round 1850 + shipping.
    > They say it is an unbadged model. Anyone here have one, or seen one?
    > Its a good price - but not being able to look at the thing in operation
    > makes me hesitate....
    > any info would be gratefully received.
    > cheers
    > Sue

    Ive been tempted, my 29inch TV died again so I sold it on trademe,
    looking for a new TV at present.

    29inch flat screen < $400 at DSE with a 2 year warantee....or a 32inch
    wide screen, which, because I rarely watch tv is better suited to dvds
    which I do watch....

    Biggest bummer is the price difference and firstin's silly warrantee
    restrictions (though whether that would stand up under the CGA Im not so
    sure)....I suspect Im going to wait until the Autumn and buy then.....

    Im actually enjoying the kids not having a TV to go brain dead in front
    of.......

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Nov 19, 2005
  15. smf

    Richard Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:

    > What did you think they were palying through the first lot of Transonic
    > Plasmas etc?

    Shrek, so no deinterlacing involved and no flesh tones for the crap panel to
    mess up.

    Richard, Nov 20, 2005
  16. smf

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>
    >> What did you think they were palying through the first lot of Transonic
    >> Plasmas etc?

    > Shrek, so no deinterlacing involved and no flesh tones for the crap panel
    > to mess up.

    Just badly pixeled round the edges due a to a lower resolution than some of
    the more recent LCD TVs.
    Some of the worse TVs are the rear projection ones.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 20, 2005
  17. smf

    XP Guest

    On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:01:03 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    >"Richard" <> wrote in message
    >> E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>>
    >>> What did you think they were palying through the first lot of Transonic
    >>> Plasmas etc?

    >> Shrek, so no deinterlacing involved and no flesh tones for the crap panel
    >> to mess up.

    >Just badly pixeled round the edges due a to a lower resolution than some of
    >the more recent LCD TVs.
    >Some of the worse TVs are the rear projection ones.

    Cap its Sonys top Model.

    XP, Nov 20, 2005
  18. smf

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "XP" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:01:03 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >

    >>"Richard" <> wrote in message

    >>> Shrek, so no deinterlacing involved and no flesh tones for the crap
    >>> panel
    >>> to mess up.

    >>Just badly pixeled round the edges due a to a lower resolution than some
    >>of
    >>the more recent LCD TVs.
    >>Some of the worse TVs are the rear projection ones.

    > Cap its Sonys top Model.

    Haven't heard of the Sony Cap model before. Must have pretty good specs
    does it?

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 20, 2005
  19. smf

    A Guest

    wrote:

    >FirstIn have a 32" LCD TV for sale atm for 'round 1850 + shipping.
    >They say it is an unbadged model. Anyone here have one, or seen one?
    >Its a good price - but not being able to look at the thing in operation
    >makes me hesitate....
    >any info would be gratefully received.
    >cheers
    >Sue

    Check out KMart

    In their latest flyer they have a 32" Audiosonic LCD TV for $1699
    ($300 off).

    Even better, if you buy on Thursday, Friday, Saturday they will give
    you a $15 gift voucher for every $100 spent - that the equivalent to
    another $255 off (more or less assuming you would use the K Mart
    vouchers anyway)

    The TV will only cost $1444 - surely the cheapest 32" LCD TV yet?

    A, Nov 23, 2005