LCD/TFT Screens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Lee, Aug 5, 2008.

  1. John Lee

    John Lee Guest

    I am sure this has been raised many times before, but help would be
    appreciated. My present computer has reached the stage where I should be
    replacing it. However, all new computers seem to come with LCD/TFT monitors,
    whereas my old computer has a CRT monitor. I can zoom in and out with ease
    and can drag images across the screen, and the colours are pretty good too.
    But I have been reading all sorts of things which suggest that LCD/TFT
    monitors have lots of shortcomings when it comes to editing and viewing
    digital camera images, and that CRTs are best.

    What has been your experience?

    Many thanks

    John
     
    John Lee, Aug 5, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. John Lee

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 16:09:34 +0100, "John Lee" <>
    wrote:

    >I am sure this has been raised many times before, but help would be
    >appreciated. My present computer has reached the stage where I should be
    >replacing it. However, all new computers seem to come with LCD/TFT monitors,
    >whereas my old computer has a CRT monitor. I can zoom in and out with ease
    >and can drag images across the screen, and the colours are pretty good too.
    >But I have been reading all sorts of things which suggest that LCD/TFT
    >monitors have lots of shortcomings when it comes to editing and viewing
    >digital camera images, and that CRTs are best.
    >
    >What has been your experience?
    >
    >Many thanks
    >

    I upgraded from a CRT to a Samsung flat-screen LCD. I follow the
    Adobe Photoshop groups, and Samsung seems to be the favorite of the
    medium-priced monitors. I'm very pleased with mine.

    I have a wide screen 22", and that works very well with Photoshop. I
    can place the palettes off to the left or right and not have them
    overlap my project. In my image viewer, I can view two images at one
    time and see more of the image than I could on my CRT.

    I dread buying a new desktop, though, since most are only available
    with Vista, and no one seems pleased with Vista. I hope Dell
    continues to offer XP since all of my programs are Windows-based.



    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Aug 5, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. tony cooper wrote:
    []
    > I dread buying a new desktop, though, since most are only available
    > with Vista, and no one seems pleased with Vista. I hope Dell
    > continues to offer XP since all of my programs are Windows-based.


    Try actually using Vista instead of listening to all the armchair critics.
    I wouldn't suggest upgrading an older PC which is running fine on XP, but
    with a decent new PC (dual-core and 2GB memory) you should have nothing to
    fear. I have Vista on a couple of PCs here and everything seems to be
    running just fine. I'm pleased with Vista.

    Cheers,
    David
     
    David J Taylor, Aug 5, 2008
    #3
  4. John Lee

    ransley Guest

    On Aug 5, 10:09 am, "John Lee" <> wrote:
    > I am sure this has been raised many times before, but help would be
    > appreciated. My present computer has reached the stage where I should be
    > replacing it. However, all new computers seem to come with LCD/TFT monitors,
    > whereas my old computer has a CRT monitor. I can zoom in and out with ease
    > and can drag images across the screen, and the colours are pretty good too.
    > But I have been reading all sorts of things which suggest that LCD/TFT
    > monitors have lots of shortcomings when it comes to editing and viewing
    > digital camera images, and that CRTs are best.
    >
    > What has been your experience?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > John


    What publication stated that, a 5 year old review? Have you even
    looked at them.
     
    ransley, Aug 5, 2008
    #4
  5. John Lee

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    "Chuck Olson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "John Lee" <> wrote in message
    > news:I2_lk.78743$2...
    >>I am sure this has been raised many times before, but help would be
    >>appreciated. My present computer has reached the stage where I should be
    >>replacing it. However, all new computers seem to come with LCD/TFT
    >>monitors, whereas my old computer has a CRT monitor. I can zoom in and out
    >>with ease and can drag images across the screen, and the colours are
    >>pretty good too. But I have been reading all sorts of things which suggest
    >>that LCD/TFT monitors have lots of shortcomings when it comes to editing
    >>and viewing digital camera images, and that CRTs are best.
    >>
    >> What has been your experience?
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >>
    >> John

    >
    > I went from a very nice Sony CRT to a very nice Sony LCD - - both had
    > about the same features except the LCD didn't weigh a ton, like the CRT.
    > And I expect the LCD will stay running a lot longer since it doesn't have
    > to deal with super high voltage and magnetic deflection as in the CRT.
    >
    > Of course, when you change brands or compare high end to low end, there
    > will be operating differences, but not due to just the difference in
    > technology.
    >
    > Pretty much, whatever the software can do to a picture on a CRT, like
    > zooming and editing digital images, it can do it on an LCD just as
    > easily. Also, if you like to look at Hi-Def images, you'll want a monitor
    > with close to a 16:9 aspect ratio, or at least 1920 pixels
    > horizontally - - hard to find in a CRT.
    >
    > Chuck


    I had Vista on a new laptop and it had some things I liked so I put it on my
    regular desktop. Things went to hell in a handbasket due to incompatible
    programs that I had on my desktop. I had to buy a new printer. It probably
    cost me $400 extra. Getting back to the subject, I have a widescreen LCD by
    LG and the colors are good.
    >
     
    Ed Mullikin, Aug 5, 2008
    #5
  6. tony cooper wrote:
    > On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 16:09:34 +0100, "John Lee" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am sure this has been raised many times before, but help would be
    >> appreciated. My present computer has reached the stage where I should be
    >> replacing it. However, all new computers seem to come with LCD/TFT monitors,
    >> whereas my old computer has a CRT monitor. I can zoom in and out with ease
    >> and can drag images across the screen, and the colours are pretty good too.
    >> But I have been reading all sorts of things which suggest that LCD/TFT
    >> monitors have lots of shortcomings when it comes to editing and viewing
    >> digital camera images, and that CRTs are best.
    >>
    >> What has been your experience?
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >>

    > I upgraded from a CRT to a Samsung flat-screen LCD. I follow the
    > Adobe Photoshop groups, and Samsung seems to be the favorite of the
    > medium-priced monitors. I'm very pleased with mine.
    >
    > I have a wide screen 22", and that works very well with Photoshop. I
    > can place the palettes off to the left or right and not have them
    > overlap my project. In my image viewer, I can view two images at one
    > time and see more of the image than I could on my CRT.
    >
    > I dread buying a new desktop, though, since most are only available
    > with Vista, and no one seems pleased with Vista. I hope Dell
    > continues to offer XP since all of my programs are Windows-based.
    >
    >
    >


    I am puzzled. Why can't you continue to use the OS that you already have if
    you purchase a new system? I use a Mac mostly with an LCD screen of course,
    but calibrated, but I also have a PC, a new one that at the time of
    purchase, I had loaded with XP-Pro on the basis that I already owned a
    legal license to that software. From what I hear many people are opting out
    of Vista. I actually read a report in the Canberra Times a few weeks ago
    that said that Microsoft had extended the period that it would support XP
    on new machines. Was that incorrrect?

    Secret Squirrel


    --

    Ingrid Rose

    clandestin.ecureuil(insert missing symbol here)gmail.com
     
    clandestin_écureuil, Aug 5, 2008
    #6
  7. John Lee

    Bob AZ Guest

    > But I have been reading all sorts of things which suggest that LCD/TFT
    > monitors have lots of shortcomings when it comes to editing and viewing
    > digital camera images, and that CRTs are best.
    >
    > What has been your experience?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > John


    John

    I too went with a LCD. A 24" from Dell. Lots of space for images etc.
    I still use PS Elements 2. Tried Elements 5. What a dud. Blah. Dumped
    it and still with Elements 2.

    The big thing seems to get one with the resolution up. 1000:1 or
    better. And of course the pixel thing needs to be up. I think mine is
    1980 X 1200 or better. I do have a better video card. HDMI type I
    think. My son set it all up for me. He does this for a living. My
    former 19" CRT was great but I wanted the space.

    And as soon as I can sandwich the time in I am building another
    computer to use. My present computer for photography is a Dell. 4 GB
    and reasonably fast. But I want more memory, 8GB, and a quad processor
    or 2 duals. Will be using an Intel workstation board. I have
    everything on hand except for the board and procesor/s.

    Bob AZ
     
    Bob AZ, Aug 5, 2008
    #7
  8. John Lee

    Busted Frog Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > tony cooper wrote:
    > []
    >> I dread buying a new desktop, though, since most are only available
    >> with Vista, and no one seems pleased with Vista. I hope Dell
    >> continues to offer XP since all of my programs are Windows-based.

    >
    > Try actually using Vista instead of listening to all the armchair critics.
    > I wouldn't suggest upgrading an older PC which is running fine on XP, but
    > with a decent new PC (dual-core and 2GB memory) you should have nothing to
    > fear. I have Vista on a couple of PCs here and everything seems to be
    > running just fine. I'm pleased with Vista.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David
    >
    >


    I have spent a lot of my working week for many months now removing Vista
    and reinstalling XP for people who don't listen to critics but who
    simply can't cope with the problems associated with Vista. Even Bill
    Gates, on his way out the door admitted that Vista had problems and
    promised that the next operating system would solve them. MS has already
    started with previews of the next OS in an attempt to retain pissed off
    customers.

    Vista's rep has nothing to do with armchair critics, it has to with a
    pathetic operating system and real life issues.

    Ribbit
     
    Busted Frog, Aug 5, 2008
    #8
  9. John Lee

    Garry Knight Guest

    tony cooper wrote:

    > I hope Dell continues to offer XP since all of my programs are
    > Windows-based.


    They are at the moment. The machine comes preloaded with XP but with a Vista
    license sticker on it, and the restore DVD also has Vista. One of their
    tech guys that I spoke to said that Microsoft allow them to offer "XP
    downgrades" but that they can't give out XP restore disks with the
    machines. He also said that a) the Vista sticker covers use with the XP
    downgrade, and b) if you need to restore the system you don't need to use
    the Vista restore DVD, you can reinstall from any XP DVD and enter the
    product code from the Vista sticker on the machine.

    But I think that all of their desktop machines (and probably laptops, too)
    are Vista-capable - as long as you get more than the basic 1GB of RAM, that
    is.

    --
    Garry Knight

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/garryknight
     
    Garry Knight, Aug 6, 2008
    #9
  10. "Bob AZ" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >> But I have been reading all sorts of things which suggest that LCD/TFT
    >> monitors have lots of shortcomings when it comes to editing and viewing
    >> digital camera images, and that CRTs are best.
    >>
    >> What has been your experience?
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >>
    >> John

    >
    > John
    >
    > I too went with a LCD. A 24" from Dell. Lots of space for images etc.
    > I still use PS Elements 2. Tried Elements 5. What a dud. Blah. Dumped
    > it and still with Elements 2.
    >
    > The big thing seems to get one with the resolution up. 1000:1 or
    > better. And of course the pixel thing needs to be up. I think mine is
    > 1980 X 1200 or better. I do have a better video card. HDMI type I
    > think. My son set it all up for me. He does this for a living. My
    > former 19" CRT was great but I wanted the space.
    >
    > And as soon as I can sandwich the time in I am building another
    > computer to use. My present computer for photography is a Dell. 4 GB
    > and reasonably fast. But I want more memory, 8GB, and a quad processor
    > or 2 duals. Will be using an Intel workstation board. I have
    > everything on hand except for the board and procesor/s.
    >
    > Bob AZ
    >


    what OS will you be using for that 8 gig of ram, because if you use a 32bit
    windows OS your pissing 4 gig away.

    --
    "Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color."
    Don Hirschberg
     
    Atheist Chaplain, Aug 6, 2008
    #10
  11. John Lee

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 16:08:25 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

    >tony cooper wrote:
    >[]
    >> I dread buying a new desktop, though, since most are only available
    >> with Vista, and no one seems pleased with Vista. I hope Dell
    >> continues to offer XP since all of my programs are Windows-based.

    >
    >Try actually using Vista instead of listening to all the armchair critics.


    I can't gamble. I use Adobe's Photoshop 7.0. It does everything I
    want it to do, so I see no reason to upgrade to the CS versions.
    There's enough "armchair critics" out there who have reported that
    Photoshop 7.0, and other versions of Photoshop that are not the most
    current, either will not run or run buggy that I will stick with XP.

    I'm also using CorelDraw 9.0, and my own past experience with Corel is
    that changes cause problems with Corel programs, and that Corel will
    not provide support. Again, CorelDraw 9.0 does exactly what I want
    done, and I see no reason to upgrade.

    I don't give a damn if Vista works great with this or that program
    that I don't use, or if newer versions of Photoshop and CorelDraw work
    with Vista. I looking at this from a purely personal,
    program-specific, view.

    You snipped my statement about those "armchair critics" being in the
    Photoshop newsgroups. As far as I'm concerned, the core group of
    posters in those newsgroups are people who I pay attention to. If
    they say Vista is not compatible with PS 7.0, I believe them.


    >I wouldn't suggest upgrading an older PC which is running fine on XP, but
    >with a decent new PC (dual-core and 2GB memory) you should have nothing to
    >fear. I have Vista on a couple of PCs here and everything seems to be
    >running just fine. I'm pleased with Vista.
    >

    That's fine for you, but unless you are running the same key programs
    that I am running, your experience doesn't count with me. I'm talking
    hundreds of dollars in upgrading that I don't need or want.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Aug 6, 2008
    #11
  12. John Lee

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 07:43:35 +1000, clandestin_écureuil
    <> wrote:

    >tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 16:09:34 +0100, "John Lee" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am sure this has been raised many times before, but help would be
    >>> appreciated. My present computer has reached the stage where I should be
    >>> replacing it. However, all new computers seem to come with LCD/TFT monitors,
    >>> whereas my old computer has a CRT monitor. I can zoom in and out with ease
    >>> and can drag images across the screen, and the colours are pretty good too.
    >>> But I have been reading all sorts of things which suggest that LCD/TFT
    >>> monitors have lots of shortcomings when it comes to editing and viewing
    >>> digital camera images, and that CRTs are best.
    >>>
    >>> What has been your experience?
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks
    >>>

    >> I upgraded from a CRT to a Samsung flat-screen LCD. I follow the
    >> Adobe Photoshop groups, and Samsung seems to be the favorite of the
    >> medium-priced monitors. I'm very pleased with mine.
    >>
    >> I have a wide screen 22", and that works very well with Photoshop. I
    >> can place the palettes off to the left or right and not have them
    >> overlap my project. In my image viewer, I can view two images at one
    >> time and see more of the image than I could on my CRT.
    >>
    >> I dread buying a new desktop, though, since most are only available
    >> with Vista, and no one seems pleased with Vista. I hope Dell
    >> continues to offer XP since all of my programs are Windows-based.
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    >I am puzzled. Why can't you continue to use the OS that you already have if
    >you purchase a new system?


    Perhaps if I purchased a new system with Vista (which is the only
    thing available from most sources) I could strip the OS and load in
    Windows XP.

    But why should I gamble on this working right? Dell still offers XP
    and no upgrade in price (although it's not available on some "deals"
    that they offer) and Dell desktops seem to be more than adequate.

    I really don't know what Vista offers that XP doesn't. I haven't
    heard anyone say that they're happier with Vista than they were with
    XP. I don't want to compromise my expensive software for a pig in a
    poke.



    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Aug 6, 2008
    #12
  13. Busted Frog wrote:
    []
    > I have spent a lot of my working week for many months now removing
    > Vista and reinstalling XP for people who don't listen to critics but
    > who simply can't cope with the problems associated with Vista. Even
    > Bill Gates, on his way out the door admitted that Vista had problems
    > and promised that the next operating system would solve them. MS has
    > already started with previews of the next OS in an attempt to retain
    > pissed off customers.
    >
    > Vista's rep has nothing to do with armchair critics, it has to with a
    > pathetic operating system and real life issues.
    >
    > Ribbit


    Simply doesn't agree with my experience, but I would not suggest that
    people upgrade a system which works correctly on Windows XP. Doubtless
    with such a wide array of hardware to support, and the tardiness some
    manufacturers have shown in providing Vista drivers, some folk will
    experience issues as they might with any new OS.

    Cheers,
    David
     
    David J Taylor, Aug 6, 2008
    #13
  14. tony cooper wrote:
    []
    > That's fine for you, but unless you are running the same key programs
    > that I am running, your experience doesn't count with me. I'm talking
    > hundreds of dollars in upgrading that I don't need or want.


    As I said, if you already have a working XP system, I would not recommend
    upgrading it. If the programs you need don't work on Vista, go and ask
    the manufacturers why they coded their software in such a way. I think
    all the software I've tested works OK, although programs which write
    directly to the C:\Program Files\ directory may be better installed
    outside that tree.

    Cheers,
    David
     
    David J Taylor, Aug 6, 2008
    #14
  15. tony cooper wrote:
    []
    > I really don't know what Vista offers that XP doesn't. I haven't
    > heard anyone say that they're happier with Vista than they were with
    > XP. I don't want to compromise my expensive software for a pig in a
    > poke.


    One possibility, if you have some rouge software, would be to install
    VMware or Virtual PC on a Vista PC, and run the older software under a
    Windows XP virtual machine. Of course, if you can get a new PC with XP,
    so much the better for you. That's why I bought a Dell PC 18 months ago -
    I could buy XP today and a nominally free Vista upgrade for later. I
    think that if I were buying today, I would not be particularly bothered if
    Vista were the only choice.

    Cheers,
    David
     
    David J Taylor, Aug 6, 2008
    #15
  16. John Lee

    Chris H Guest

    In message <489926e3$0$4662$>, Toby
    <> writes
    >It depends on what you will use it for. LCDs are great for viewing, but I
    >have yet to be able to calibrate my new 22" fancy LG to give a realistic
    >soft-proof of prints. I will definitely continue to use my old 21" CRT for
    >photo editing, which I have found easy to calibrate to give me a very
    >accurate preview of what my prints will look like.


    I have no problem calibrating any on my LCD screens.

    There are several other things to bear in mind.

    1 eye strain... there is a lot less with LCD screens. They are better
    for your eyes.

    2 Due to size and depth you can have them further away across the desk.
    Better for focusing your eyes.

    3 Much lower power consumption.

    4 Much lighter.


    There are a few people who claim that CRT (LP's, 35mm, qil's and model
    T-Fords) are better but they don't tend to stack up in any real
    pragmatic tests.

    I have seem people argue the specifications on the 3rd decimal point
    when in reality humans can't resolve the first decimal point. Most
    peoples eyes and ears cannot resolve the differences

    Go for a good quality LCD.



    --
    \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
    \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/
    \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
     
    Chris H, Aug 6, 2008
    #16
  17. John Lee

    John Lee Guest

    "clandestin_écureuil" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > I am puzzled. Why can't you continue to use the OS that you already have
    > if you purchase a new system? I use a Mac mostly with an LCD screen of
    > course, but calibrated, but I also have a PC, a new one that at the time
    > of purchase, I had loaded with XP-Pro on the basis that I already owned a
    > legal license to that software. From what I hear many people are opting
    > out of Vista. I actually read a report in the Canberra Times a few weeks
    > ago that said that Microsoft had extended the period that it would support
    > XP on new machines. Was that incorrrect?
    >
    > Secret Squirrel
    >


    I would dearly like to do that but I understand that although you could use
    your existing XP on a new machine you would no longer receive XP updates
    (including security) from Microsoft. Each time you log on details of your
    computer are checked and if there are any substantial changes then you get
    black-listed. Thanks for suggestion though. John
     
    John Lee, Aug 6, 2008
    #17
  18. John Lee wrote:
    []
    > I would dearly like to do that but I understand that although you
    > could use your existing XP on a new machine you would no longer
    > receive XP updates (including security) from Microsoft. Each time you
    > log on details of your computer are checked and if there are any
    > substantial changes then you get black-listed. Thanks for suggestion
    > though. John


    Can you provide a reference for this information, please?

    XP security updates are still being supplied, and activation checks are as
    before, as far as I know.

    David
     
    David J Taylor, Aug 6, 2008
    #18
  19. John Lee

    Mark Roberts Guest

    John Lee wrote:

    >I am sure this has been raised many times before, but help would be
    >appreciated. My present computer has reached the stage where I should be
    >replacing it. However, all new computers seem to come with LCD/TFT monitors,
    >whereas my old computer has a CRT monitor. I can zoom in and out with ease
    >and can drag images across the screen, and the colours are pretty good too.
    >But I have been reading all sorts of things which suggest that LCD/TFT
    >monitors have lots of shortcomings when it comes to editing and viewing
    >digital camera images, and that CRTs are best.
    >
    >What has been your experience?


    You can't generalize about LCD monitors because there are several
    types, some very good and some very poor. The most common type are TN
    (twisted nematic) displays and are not really suited for photo editing
    or graphic design work. The VA (vertical alignment) or IPS (In-Plane
    Switching) displays are what you should look at.

    See http://www.robertstech.com/blog/?p=31



    --
    Mark Roberts Photography & Multimedia
    www.robertstech.com
     
    Mark Roberts, Aug 6, 2008
    #19
  20. John Lee

    What? Guest

    John Lee wrote:
    > "clandestin_écureuil" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> I am puzzled. Why can't you continue to use the OS that you already have
    >> if you purchase a new system? I use a Mac mostly with an LCD screen of
    >> course, but calibrated, but I also have a PC, a new one that at the time
    >> of purchase, I had loaded with XP-Pro on the basis that I already owned a
    >> legal license to that software. From what I hear many people are opting
    >> out of Vista. I actually read a report in the Canberra Times a few weeks
    >> ago that said that Microsoft had extended the period that it would support
    >> XP on new machines. Was that incorrrect?
    >>
    >> Secret Squirrel
    >>

    >
    > I would dearly like to do that but I understand that although you could use
    > your existing XP on a new machine you would no longer receive XP updates
    > (including security) from Microsoft. Each time you log on details of your
    > computer are checked and if there are any substantial changes then you get
    > black-listed. Thanks for suggestion though. John
    >
    >


    This is not so. People often upgrade their hardware using the same
    operating system. Your license is for the OS, not for the OS on one
    system only. This computer I am using at the moment has been upgraded
    three times since XP-Pro first came out. There is no such thing as an MS
    blacklist, the most that will happen is that the auto-update will stop
    working unless you call Microsoft and yell down the phone at them.

    Where do you people get this nonsense?
     
    What?, Aug 6, 2008
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Boomer
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    494
    Keyser Soze
    Dec 17, 2003
  2. Silverstrand

    X2gen MG19R8 19" TFT LCD Display

    Silverstrand, Jun 5, 2006, in forum: Front Page News
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    779
    Silverstrand
    Jun 5, 2006
  3. Sharon

    OFFER: 19" TFT LCD Monitor

    Sharon, Jan 19, 2004, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    378
    Sharon
    Jan 19, 2004
  4. Jovi
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    376
    Roy G
    May 9, 2007
  5. asdf
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    317
Loading...

Share This Page